Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Dabir posted:

Why can't you answer the question? It's not a very difficult one.

Because I hate fat people and find them morally objectionable, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Do you?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tom Watson lost eight stone and only became more morally objectionable.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lol if the left eats itself over fat shaming then I might die of irony.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Ealing Deep,

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jiggerypokery posted:

Lol if the left eats itself over fat shaming then I might die of irony.

Are you saying that the left should eat less?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I wrote an effort post in the cannabis thread about applying for a legal UK medicinal cannabis prescription that might be of interest to many of you. It has links to a few resources that should be invaluable for anyone wishing go down the same route.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Well I am one of the half a million people that got pinged by track and trace. Gunna be a fun weekend.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Does anyone here know what the green/amber/red ratings for visitor quarantine requirements are actually based on? Because since the UK is doing demonstrably worse in case numbers than most places I can't quite work out why people coming from countries with a much better handle on things still have to quarantine for 8-10 days or whatever it is now.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Dugong posted:

Well I am one of the half a million people that got pinged by track and trace. Gunna be a fun weekend.

It was only after reading an article about it that I checked and found that I'd never turned it on, probably because I reflexively deny apps permissions when they ask for them which blocked it from using Bluetooth.

Oops, or hooray I guess?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Robot Mil posted:

Does anyone here know what the green/amber/red ratings for visitor quarantine requirements are actually based on? Because since the UK is doing demonstrably worse in case numbers than most places I can't quite work out why people coming from countries with a much better handle on things still have to quarantine for 8-10 days or whatever it is now.

I'm still not sure but I've got the sneaking suspicion it's probably based on racism.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

It's based on titting those who tat.

German friend of mine's mum got hit by a car yesterday, obviously she jumped straight on the first flight anyway but jfc that journey is gonna suck, both ways :(

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
My fudge order arrived! I don't know what I think of the marmite fudge. After several pieces I don't know if I like it, but I keep taking trips back to the fridge to have more of it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm still not sure but I've got the sneaking suspicion it's probably based on racism.

Not *just* racism, political and personal convenience for the Tories too.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Borrovan posted:

I suspect this might be the case, I'm really hoping they expand the rules for allowing non UK resident vaccinated travellers to not quarantine so I can finally come back and visit family after 2 years!

Definitely that, and definitely not just coming back because I'm super jealous of everyone eating delicious fudge ITT that I want to eat.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Borrovan posted:

German friend of mine's mum got hit by a car yesterday, obviously she jumped straight on the first flight anyway but jfc that journey is gonna suck, both ways :(

Yeah I wouldn't want to jump straight on a plane after getting hit by a car. Should probably go to hospital tbh.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I loving hate work. Not even my specific job just the whole structure and edifice of working for a faceless company that will never appreciate or reward anything I do. I wish to god I had enough money to live on for a few years so I could just gently caress off for a bit.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

fuctifino posted:

I wrote an effort post in the cannabis thread about applying for a legal UK medicinal cannabis prescription that might be of interest to many of you. It has links to a few resources that should be invaluable for anyone wishing go down the same route.

:hellyeah:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Robot Mil posted:

I suspect this might be the case, I'm really hoping they expand the rules for allowing non UK resident vaccinated travellers to not quarantine so I can finally come back and visit family after 2 years!

Definitely that, and definitely not just coming back because I'm super jealous of everyone eating delicious fudge ITT that I want to eat.

Fudge shipping is definitely the worst consequence of Brexit :(

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Where’s the fudge link? Might order my first batch.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I had no idea medical cannabis was legal, they keep that quiet, I guess.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
GB News in crisis as exec quits and presenter is pulled for ‘taking the knee’

that article posted:

GB News has been plunged into crisis as news of a senior executive’s resignation emerged hours after a presenter was taken off air for symbolically taking the knee on screen, the Guardian has learned.

The rightwing TV channel is contending with other staff considering leaving amid management upheaval, collapsing ratings and plans for a relaunch after Guto Harri was “cancelled” by its viewers.

John McAndrew, the channel’s director of programming, has also quit the station, sources told the Guardian. McAndrew, a well-known figure in the television news industry who has a long track record at mainstream outlets including Sky News and Euronews, was considered to be the channel’s second-in-command and played a key role in convincing many of the more established mainstream presenters to join.

Sources suggested he had come under pressure to dial down the focus on local reporting and free debate in favour of full-blooded culture war topics, so chose to resign.

GB News was unable to withstand the strong and sustained viewer backlash to Harri’s display of solidarity with the racist abuse suffered by the England football team.

The channel, set up on the basis that free and open debate is no longer possible in the mainstream media due to an all-pervasive “cancel culture”, was overwhelmed with complaints that after only a few weeks on air it had gone “woke” and its content was not sufficiently rightwing.

After three days and a growing boycott, which led to some shows attracting zero viewers, the channel’s management felt the need to cut Harri loose. In a statement, GB News said it was “unacceptable” for any presenter to take the knee, a symbol associated with the Black Lives Matter movement, and said Harri had broken the channel’s editorial code.

Friends of Harri said: “GB News is becoming an absurd parody of what it proclaimed to be – not defending free speech and combatting cancel culture but replicating it on the far right. Nasty.

“It’s ridiculous to say he’s breached editorial standards and almost certainly defamatory. In reality it wasn’t a breach of editorial code but ‘sacked for offending the lynch mob’.”

It is unclear which part of the GB News editorial code Harri could have broken. The channel’s public editorial charter commits itself to core values including “independence of our journalism”, “respect for opinions and those expressing them”, and “the right of every individual to form and share their views”.

A spokesperson for GB News was unable to immediately confirm whether Harri would be leaving the channel, and refused to comment on McAndrew’s departure.

The incident comes amid a growing crisis at the channel, which launched only four-and-a-half weeks ago. Some senior off-air staff are understood to have left in recent days amid ongoing turmoil following the channel’s disastrous launch, which was plagued by technical difficulties.

They include Gill Penlington, a respected and experienced producer at rolling news channels such as CNN and Sky News who has worked in the past with the GB News chairman, Andrew Neil. She was brought in as a senior figure before launch, only to leave earlier this week. The departure of other key off-air figures could be announced imminently, according to sources at the channel.

There is also strong speculation about Neil’s current relationship with the channel. He was involved with its creation and is chairman of its board, and the station was counting on his flagship 8pm show to bring in the viewers required to make it a success. However, after two weeks on air he has taken an extended holiday in the south of France. Despite posting dozens of tweets, Neil has not mentioned GB News in almost two weeks or shared any of its material.

The station’s misery was compounded after host Alastair Stewart revealed on Friday he had broken his hip in a horse-riding accident. The veteran broadcaster tweeted he would be out for “a while” but pledged “I’ll be back”. Stewart also thanked GB News staff for their “kindness and support”.

He tweeted: “I was leading in one of the horses & she bolted, knocking me over – rather forcefully!”

The Harri incident has proved indicative of the issues facing GB News. Harri was a longserving BBC correspondent before moving into politics as Boris Johnson’s spokesperson during his first term as mayor of London. He then went to work for Rupert Murdoch’s News UK for several years, yet has found himself portrayed by some GB News viewers as a dangerous leftwing Marxist sleeper agent.

There is particular upset among the GB News staff who earlier this week publicly defended Harri’s right to freedom of speech, only to find their stance later contradicted publicly by management.

Staff describe a split between two broad camps. Some producers and presenters come from a mainstream broadcast journalism background and felt jumping ship to the new channel would give them a fresh challenge or a career boost. Others are approaching it from a more political angle with a personal commitment to culture war topics. Yet more have joined a third camp, who worship fire. In Neil’s absence, the only show with relatively healthy ratings has been Dan Wootton’s late-night show, which has lent heavily into culture war issues.

Neil had made clear before the channel’s launch that he did not want to be a “British Fox News” and would be committed to traditional journalism values albeit with a rightwing twist. However, this appears to be different to what its audience wanted.

As David Kurten, a former Ukip politician who now leads the niche rightwing Heritage party, gleefully tweeted at the channel after Harri took the knee: “Go woke, go broke.”

This is basically Andrew Neil's pet project blowing up in his face like an exploding cigar and I love it

Convex fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 16, 2021

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Dugong posted:

Where’s the fudge link? Might order my first batch.

https://www.fudjit.co.uk/

roastbeefisbest is the promo code

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Convex posted:

GB News in crisis as exec quits and presenter is pulled for ‘taking the knee’

This is basically Andrew Neil's pet project blowing up in his face like an exploding cigar from day 1 and I love it

lmao

What they're not saying and can't say is that the viewership wants the channel to be openly racist, but obviously they can't be.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

the article here posted:

Yet more have joined a third camp, who worship fire.

Fuckin lmao what the hell is going on with this loving island

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

WhatEvil posted:

lmao

What they're not saying and can't say is that the viewership wants the channel to be openly racist, but obviously they can't be.

Yeah I was going to say, based on this line

quote:

Neil had made clear before the channel’s launch that he did not want to be a “British Fox News” and would be committed to traditional journalism values albeit with a rightwing twist. However, this appears to be different to what its audience wanted.

they sure are acting surprised that viewers want a Foxhunt News UK.

I'm guessing that's against the being-allowed-to-be-a-TV-channel rules in the UK right? For now at least?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Tesla was right posted:

My fudge order arrived! I don't know what I think of the marmite fudge. After several pieces I don't know if I like it, but I keep taking trips back to the fridge to have more of it.

So you're saying you're ambivalent on Marmite? I didn't know that was possible.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Deketh posted:

https://www.fudjit.co.uk/

roastbeefisbest is the promo code

Thank you! Will have a look.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

kyojin posted:

Fuckin lmao what the hell is going on with this loving island

Lol that was fast

Doom breed
Mar 22, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

Here's a good example of the state of modern UK journalism. Yesterday, I found out that in February some guy who apparently was at my secondary school at the same time as me is now a BBC journalist and made a five part Radio 4 documentary about how incredibly rough our school was. It's ludicrously over the top, despite the fact that no one he talks to has a bad word to say about the school, he constantly asks if it actually really was good, while ominous urban music plays over the whole thing. In the second episode he implies the school somehow bore some responsibility for a former student being honour-killed by her own father.

But the real kicker is that in the final episode he interviews Tony Blair. To be charitable, I guess it's part of a bookending where in the first episode he mentions that he started at Acton High in the same year Blair became Prime Minister. But it just comes off as a weird flex to boast about the connections he has now. Now, old Tone knows gently caress-all about Acton High and its circumstances (he lies and pretends to remember the school, but that's it). But obviously this guy was head of the government for the whole time this journo was there, and bears some responsibility for the various societal issues that surrounded the school. In the fourth he talks about a Muslim student who later radicalised and joined an Isis-esque group in Somalia, where he was later executed. Tony Blair is probably the single person most responsible for that radicalisation, certainly more than anyone at the school. In fact, Blair's government even started the academies programme that finally ended the school a few years ago!

So maybe Tony Blair would be a good person to interview, there could be a lot to ask him about this! Of course, nothing like this is asked, just "is education important?" and "is multiculturalism good?" Imagine going to all the trouble of making this documentary just to casually yuk yuk with a war criminal. A loving disgrace.

How odd. I was at that school at that time and always thought it deserved a better reputation. I think the head at the time went on to become a 'super-head', but actually a good one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
UKMT Summer 2021: Yet more have joined a third camp, who worship fire

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Doom breed posted:

How odd. I was at that school at that time and always thought it deserved a better reputation. I think the head at the time went on to become a 'super-head', but actually a good one.

Yeah, Mr Leopold, if I remember his name right. Apparently it was far worse before he came along, and he went on to be brought into troubled schools to sort them out. He was in a TV documentary some years after he left, I dimly recall.

What year were you in? I finished and did my GCSEs in 1999.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

It was only after reading an article about it that I checked and found that I'd never turned it on, probably because I reflexively deny apps permissions when they ask for them which blocked it from using Bluetooth.

Oops, or hooray I guess?

You can just switch notifications off in the app and still check into places, although I do feel that is rather like cheating.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
who who could have thought that the audience of a news channel based on "anti-wokeness" were in fact racist as gently caress

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Comrade Fakename posted:

I had no idea medical cannabis was legal, they keep that quiet, I guess.

it's "Legal", but by christ do you have to jump through some hoops. Sativex was available for MS years ago but NICE took a massive poo poo all over it, then there were the two cases in quick succession where parents of children with cannibinoid-treatable epilepsy were told to gently caress off before the media shamed the home office into remembering it was very definitely allowed. The mother who went away quietly as soon as she got her import liscence was left alone, the northern irish woman, who allegedly had a frank exchange of views with the homesec on the matter, did not go away after getting the prescription, and has been driving 2 hours each way every day for her child's life saving treatment.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 16, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pistol_Pete posted:

You can just switch notifications off in the app and still check into places, although I do feel that is rather like cheating.

You can also just clear the app's data including any check ins and isolation notices if you really wanted to not bother.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Darth Walrus posted:

UKMT Summer 2021: Yet more have joined a third camp, who worship fire

UKMT Summer: warm baths, wet eggs, and fire worship

Doom breed
Mar 22, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, Mr Leopold, if I remember his name right. Apparently it was far worse before he came along, and he went on to be brought into troubled schools to sort them out. He was in a TV documentary some years after he left, I dimly recall.

What year were you in? I finished and did my GCSEs in 1999.

The year after that.

In more thread-relevant news, the pod is still great and anyone who hasn't given it a listen should give it a shot.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

GBnews: "We're cancelling you for not having conservative values!"

Guto Harri: "For my commitment to free speech?"

GBnews: "No, not those values..."

Guto Harri: "My right to form and express my own opinion?"

GBnews: "No, not those values either..."

Guto Harri: "Which values, exactly?"

GBnews: "Oh, you know the ones..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've mentioned what is now becoming an unhealthy obsession with the AI image generator at https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1_4Jl0a7WIJeqy5LTjPJfZOwMZopG5C-W?usp=sharing, I just can't stop myself and of course I have to share the horror:

"Keir Starmer warm bath"

"Boris Johnson escapes containment"

"best monster munch flavour" (controversial win for pickled onion)

and of course the inevitable "this is bad for jeremy corbyn"

https://i.imgur.com/evjtWiH.mp4

Actually thinking of trying to automate this a bit into a Twitter bot or something because to be honest it's kinda addictive.