Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm going to reserve the Gabe Boy and you can't stop me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

I'm going to reserve the Gabe Boy and you can't stop me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhyuPr9ULqI

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Antigravitas posted:

XCOM2 with mods, no less.

Yeah, specifically that. If I could live without mods I’d consider the iOS port but I gotta have mods to have all that QoL poo poo they add

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's obviously the N-Gabe.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

gently caress

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

finally, sidetalking for horses

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's the Tiger Gabe.com. Topic Locked

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

TITLE

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
N-Gabe does what Miyamoton't

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

In the Switch's defense it has a decent enough battery life.

No, it doesn't and the Deck is a half hour worse than the Switch while playing demanding games. The whole history of portable consoles seems to be a long line of battery life regression. Gameboy could get you well over a full day of play, GBA already degrades to a mere 10-12 hours, ds a bit less, the 3ds you basically got like 4 hours, and the Switch barely lasts a bit over 2 hours sometimes.

In some ways I think gb/gba maybe ds if you got jncos, were the last actual portable consoles, something you could jam in a pocket and be good for your travels, worst case scenario buy some new batteries on the go. The Gamecube was just a built in-screen and lovely battery away from being a modern day "portable" console.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Make it so.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
whos preordering a Gabestation in an hour?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m ordering a GabeNES right now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think I might pre-order the Switch Pro

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I actually have a question about joystick positions, what's actually the difference? I've only ever used the xbox version, but how does having the dpad under your thumb instead of the thumbstick change things? Isn't it more awkward to be stretching your thumb left wards instead of upwards? Or is it such a minute thing it never comes up and it's just an internet argument like when people freak out about which way to hang the tp, whether you tip for takeout you pick up or circumcisions or w/e.

Is there one that is not almost 80$?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Boba Pearl posted:

I actually have a question about joystick positions, what's actually the difference? I've only ever used the xbox version, but how does having the dpad under your thumb instead of the thumbstick change things? Isn't it more awkward to be stretching your thumb left wards instead of upwards? Or is it such a minute thing it never comes up and it's just an internet argument like when people freak out about which way to hang the tp, whether you tip for takeout you pick up or circumcisions or w/e.

I just think the symmetrical joystick layout is more comfortable and feels better when playing games that use both sticks.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
If the weaker Aya Neo is already doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhvrmNE5yng

Is there a chance the Deck will be able to do BotW2 at 60fps on Yuzu when it comes out?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I dunno about Yuzu (it's still fairly demanding I think) but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the gabestation can play the Wii U version of BOTW at 60fps in CEMU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Khanstant posted:

No, it doesn't and the Deck is a half hour worse than the Switch while playing demanding games. The whole history of portable consoles seems to be a long line of battery life regression. Gameboy could get you well over a full day of play, GBA already degrades to a mere 10-12 hours, ds a bit less, the 3ds you basically got like 4 hours, and the Switch barely lasts a bit over 2 hours sometimes.

In some ways I think gb/gba maybe ds if you got jncos, were the last actual portable consoles, something you could jam in a pocket and be good for your travels, worst case scenario buy some new batteries on the go. The Gamecube was just a built in-screen and lovely battery away from being a modern day "portable" console.

Graphics have been scaling up while battery life goes down :thunk:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wamdoodle posted:

Graphics have been scaling up while battery life goes down :thunk:
Yet, this isn't a problem with laptops, which have much better battery life now than a decade ago, which in turn had much better battery life than 2 decades ago, all while being significantly more powerful.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Khanstant posted:

The Switch's battery life is typical 3 to 6 hours depending on which game you play. That obviously isn't enough to never have to worry about charging it, but it is long enough to get you through an average commute.

There is a lot of context why they get away with shorter and shorter battery life:

• While computer technology has improved considerably over the decades, battery technology has not.

• The Gameboy line didn't use a rechargeable battery (at least not by default) so the system holding a charge for less than a full day would require costs to be out the wazoo. For reference if you wanted to beat BOTW on Switch but it used batteries as much as the GameGear, it would cost you over $80 in batteries to get through the game!

• Due to us living in a world where mobile phones are the lifeblood of daily life, charge outlets are virtually everywhere. Airplanes, cars, trains, etc. So finding a place to charge your device or use your device while charged is FAR less if a hassle than twenty years ago.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I just think the symmetrical joystick layout is more comfortable and feels better when playing games that use both sticks.

this. also allows you the option to hit dpad mayhaps with the index finger foro a quick tap and so forth. truly the best layout, objectively speaking.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yet, this isn't a problem with laptops, which have much better battery life now than a decade ago, which in turn had much better battery life than 2 decades ago, all while being significantly more powerful.

Comparing a laptop to a portable console is a bit insane. They have nothing in common

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

[*] The Gameboy line didn't use a rechargeable battery (at least not by default) so the system holding a charge for less than a full day would require costs to be out the wazoo. For reference if you wanted to beat BOTW on Switch but it used batteries as much as the GameGear, it would cost you over $80 in batteries to get through the game!

Using GameGear battery drain rate here makes me think you're working for big Ion-Lithium

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

portable gaming battery life has gone down because we went from expecting relatively simple games on portables to expecting full blown home console games just with downgraded graphics

if you play the modern equivalent of gameboy games, lightweight indie titles, you can still get 8-9 hours out of a red box switch

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Comparing a laptop to a portable console is a bit insane. They have nothing in common

I did some thinking about this morning and it seems like the steam deck might actually be targetting people with chromebooks or other similar browsing/email/word processing laptop users who are hungry for games but don't want to get a second computer or console & tv

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bardeh posted:

Is there a chance the Deck will be able to do BotW2 at 60fps on Yuzu when it comes out?

Supposedly the Gabe Station is nearly 2x as powerful so I’m leaning towards yeah.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
just hanging out on the couch/bed/yard/public transport and gaming without bothering others is good poo poo. Even a laptop is a bit of a hassle due to the size and peripherals.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bardeh posted:

aw yea look at the sharp corners on that thing, love to make my palms hurt like gently caress after 15 minutes of playing

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Yeah, I was planning on replacing my dead macbook with a new one. But one with enough ssd space/ram costs nearly 1400 bux. For the same price I could get the most expensive gabe boy and a used laptop...

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

This...isn't true?

Top of the line gaming laptops like Alienware 51m or Acer Triton offer a pittance amount of use uncharged when gaming (desktop use isn't comparable due to changes in CPU technology).

There are other "gaming laptops" that offer decent battery life that is maybe around an hour or so more than the Switch but they use CPUs with a far lower power draw and batteries that take up much of the design space.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The steam deck is literally a small factor laptop without a keyboard. They have a ton in common. The reason it doesn't have the battery life of a good laptop isn't that there aren't batteries that can do that for its power draw, it's that price point dictates choosing between better battery life or more power and apparently battery life is not the better selling point.

In any case, I was comparing the progression, laptops have gotten better at battery life because they decided it was a good selling point, and laptops today have much better graphics and somewhat better battery life than before. Portable gaming systems have much better graphics with worse battery life not as an inevitable consequence of better graphics but as a consequence of designer choice.

punk rebel ecks posted:

This...isn't true?

Top of the line gaming laptops like Alienware 51m or Acer Triton offer a pittance amount of use uncharged when gaming (desktop use isn't comparable due to changes in CPU technology).

There are other "gaming laptops" that offer decent battery life that is maybe around an hour or so more than the Switch but they use CPUs with a far lower power draw and batteries that take up much of the design space.
It's not true for "gaming" laptops because they're making the same power vs battery choices as portables. Because the audience for "gaming" laptops is people who want a portable gaming computer, not a laptop that plays games. It's true for non-gaming laptops which nowadays can play plenty of games at decent quality.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 16, 2021

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
My gaming laptop only had like... 4~ hours tops of gaming time while on battery. It was also $1100.

Several years later it is down to more like 2 or 3.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1415687630667358208?s=20

I missed this from yesterday, but it's not a big surprise after not getting a date at that warhammer event a month or so ago.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It's not true for "gaming" laptops because they're making the same power vs battery choices as portables. Because the audience for "gaming" laptops is people who want a portable gaming computer, not a laptop that plays games. It's true for non-gaming laptops which nowadays can play plenty of games at decent quality.

You're comparing the video game playing handhelds with laptops that don't play video games? I can see why you're confused.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

explosivo posted:

https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1415687630667358208?s=20

I missed this from yesterday, but it's not a big surprise after not getting a date at that warhammer event a month or so ago.

Not surprising, between no talk last month, and no gameplay footage since its original announcement, I wasn't confident this would be coming out this year.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

PinheadSlim posted:

You're comparing the video game playing handhelds with laptops that don't play video games? I can see why you're confused.
No I'm not comparing them, I'm making a parallel. I feel like I'm in a different conversation, so clearly there's something I'm not expressing correctly. I was responding to a post that was, essentially "obviously battery life is worse, graphics have gotten better" with, "it's not an obvious consequence, it's a design choice," and using laptops as an example of a portable computing system that chose to sacrifice a slice of power progression for better battery life.

I'm not saying the Switch/Steam Deck battery life is good or bad, or that the design choice is right or wrong. Simply that both could have better battery life if they wanted to. It's not a technical hurdle, it's choice of price/power/battery choose 2 and they chose price+power. Plenty of laptops choose price+battery or power+battery, and in the space of laptop prices it's possible to get a good mix of all three. Just because a laptop isn't a "gaming" laptop doesn't mean it can't play AAA games, it just makes the same kind of sacrifices steam deck does of lower resolution and/or graphical settings.

Those laptops that have the power similar to these gaming systems plus good battery life aren't super expensive, but they do cost more than $400, so I'm not criticizing the gaming systems for their choice.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 16, 2021

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Is this what trying to buy a PS5 is like

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Is this what trying to buy a PS5 is like

Yes :(

Adbot