Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobstar posted:

Yeah I was going to say, based on this line

they sure are acting surprised that viewers want a Foxhunt News UK.

I'm guessing that's against the being-allowed-to-be-a-TV-channel rules in the UK right? For now at least?

They aren't a TV channel. That was the original plan and they dropped it lol

Edit: 203mm was a Soviet howitzer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

UKMT Summer 2021: Yet more have joined a third camp, who worship fire

Could have had a field day with :asoiaf: quotes..... pity it all turned to shite. :yikes:

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've mentioned what is now becoming an unhealthy obsession with the AI image generator at https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1_4Jl0a7WIJeqy5LTjPJfZOwMZopG5C-W?usp=sharing, I just can't stop myself and of course I have to share the horror:

"Keir Starmer warm bath"

"Boris Johnson escapes containment"

"best monster munch flavour" (controversial win for pickled onion)

and of course the inevitable "this is bad for jeremy corbyn"

https://i.imgur.com/evjtWiH.mp4

Actually thinking of trying to automate this a bit into a Twitter bot or something because to be honest it's kinda addictive.

Catastrophic Gellar field failure bot

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Apparently we're all going to get the Norovirus to shits now we're coming out of lockdown.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Tom Watson lost eight stone and only became more morally objectionable.

More objectionableness per kilogram.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pablo Bluth posted:

Apparently we're all going to get the Norovirus to shits now we're coming out of lockdown.

I don't think I'm ever going to stop carrying around hand sanitiser and using it now. Weird that it's covid (which hand hygeine is at best eh at preventing) that has caused this and not the time I had norovirus and was incredibly appreciative of the shower being opposite the bog so I didn't have to choose an end.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Norovirus is immune to alcohol (and other cleaners). You need soap for hand washing and bleach to kill.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't think I'm ever going to stop carrying around hand sanitiser and using it now. Weird that it's covid (which hand hygeine is at best eh at preventing) that has caused this and not the time I had norovirus and was incredibly appreciative of the shower being opposite the bog so I didn't have to choose an end.

so like

what did you do to the shower

my first thought was vomitting into it but i suppose...

actually i'm about to eat dinner, no

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

OwlFancier posted:

More objectionableness per kilogram.

He was cool and good during phone hacking from what little I remember of that, no?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jiggerypokery posted:

He was cool and good during phone hacking from what little I remember of that, no?

Apparently people thought he was cool when the deputy leadership contest was on, personally I had never heard of him. But it certainly looks like the coolness was resident in the bits he lost.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I once came down with norovirus about 4 hours into a 12 hour flight, alone, when I was 16. I fully wrote off one of the bogs and there was a quarantine zone around me. It was loving horrible and getting through Singapore immigration at the other end required more mental and gastric fortitude than I’d ever had to summon before.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you would have to shoot me to stop me ripping the door open and throwing myself out of the plane even at the prospect of a twelve hour flight, never mind gastric distress.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It doesn't need anything like that doing. New boiler last year, etc., mum's had tons of repairs, renewals and so on done. It is an old stone cottage with a modern (well 20 years old) extension, so 'knocking through' isn't an option (which is what put one viewer off, they thought they could knock out the wall between the kitchen and dining room - not with 2ft thick stone walls anyway).

I think she'll have to drop the price considerably - and now she's not tied into the offer on the other place, it won't matter so much if she can find somewhere cheaper to move to in town. But she'll have to sell first and try and rent temporarily.
Like I said, no mortgages for over 80s (or over 60s for that matter or even as I found out over 55s!), so she'll have to have the money in the bank to be a cash buyer.
I also think the estate agents are shite but that's another matter.
Mum needs 'the personal touch' none of this new-fangled internet stuff, and this particular agent also does almost all the similar properties in the locality.

Thanks for all your input folks!

Late to the party, but... Please tell me your mum doesn't have a spare key. You are a much nicer person than me, but don't let her stay a night. I've been stuck with my parents, who should live abroad since March last year, and how there hasn't been blood spilled, on both sides, I'll never know. I've started pricing up dicey rest homes.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Mebh posted:

So my company is hiring a junior games designer,

PMd you.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Back when I was much younger and somehow even more foolish and the only real perspective I had on politics was when it briefly overlapped with moral panics about video games in the era of Jack Thompson (mostly by way of occasional waffle from Keith Vaz), I remember Tom Watson being one of the few prominent voices of reason in opposition to those panics. In retrospect, this gave me a tendency to not immediately suspect Watson of being poo poo even decades later when I had some semblance of an idea what the gently caress was going on politically and it should have been very obvious.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I think we all learned a lot in the last six years.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I used to be a young tory. I also voted for Blair in 97, and I once believed in Nick.

We all make mistakes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I believed in David Cameron loving a dead pig. He did.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

so like

what did you do to the shower

my first thought was vomitting into it but i suppose...

actually i'm about to eat dinner, no

Vomiting into the shower because after the first salvo it was just the Dioralyte I was using to stop from dying coming up so could be dealt with by the drain, the other end still occasionally had bits of chewing gum I swallowed aged 7 coming out. It was a hell of a ride, I'm fairly sure I lost a vertebra.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Trickjaw posted:

Late to the party, but... Please tell me your mum doesn't have a spare key. You are a much nicer person than me, but don't let her stay a night. I've been stuck with my parents, who should live abroad since March last year, and how there hasn't been blood spilled, on both sides, I'll never know. I've started pricing up dicey rest homes.

Thanks. No she doesn't. She knows where there is one, but that would mean she would have to get into the building and up to the first floor to find it where it is hidden within the building.
My flat doesn't even have enough floor space for another bed to fold out, it's 26sqm and some of that is taken up with the kitchen units, bath, bog, my bed and a couple of chairs.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Guavanaut posted:

I believed in David Cameron loving a dead pig. He did.

It Is Known

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Still can't get over the people who think mask-wearing is all about protecting themselves not others. And people who think if it doesn't 100% prevent covid transmission then it is worthless so don't bother at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/16/it-seems-a-no-brainer-uk-readers-on-whether-they-will-wear-a-covid-mask-after-19-july

I do have some sympathy with people who might have panic attacks etc from wearing one - I went out yesterday on a bus ride 1hr each way and quite a bit of walking in the heat and was feeling somewhat smothered with the mask on - but on the whole it's not a huge burden.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I take mine off if I'm doing something strenuous because it makes me dizzy, but that's not most of the time and you can still wear it otherwise.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

feedmegin posted:

They aren't a TV channel. That was the original plan and they dropped it lol

Edit: 203mm was a Soviet howitzer

I'm confused... GB News, the Andrew Neil thing, which according to wiki " is available on Freeview, Freesat, Sky, YouView, and Virgin Media." Is that the thing the article was about? Genuine non snark question, I'm totally out of the loop on UK video media.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Oh. Well I'm never leaving the house again :smith:

This pandemics been relatively kind to us emetophobes (in that my main worry was the rational one of giving myself or someone else lung damage or death). There's always a catch

^^^ Do love a good telhix on the ceiling post though :)

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Still can't get over the people who think mask-wearing is all about protecting themselves not others. And people who think if it doesn't 100% prevent covid transmission then it is worthless so don't bother at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/16/it-seems-a-no-brainer-uk-readers-on-whether-they-will-wear-a-covid-mask-after-19-july

I do have some sympathy with people who might have panic attacks etc from wearing one - I went out yesterday on a bus ride 1hr each way and quite a bit of walking in the heat and was feeling somewhat smothered with the mask on - but on the whole it's not a huge burden.

Yes, the fact that there are still people who are genuinely unaware that masks (and the vaccine too) are a thing that protects others, and are therefore not a purely personal decision, is baffling, and shows either a total failure of communication, or brain. O los dos.

I've been wearing a mask when I visit the office/warehouse (Dutch colleagues, repeatedly: "You know you don't have to wear that anymore"), and was a bit uncomfortable when lugging shelves around, but meh.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 16, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

They were the same types of people who were going on about how "the HIV virus is smaller than the natural holes in latex so why bother" 30 years ago.

Also public health education is sorely lacking, people are bad at even obvious statistics, and something something century of the self.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Never feel too bad about making mistakes (but to quote Baz Luhrmann, if you succeed then tell me how) but always learn something from them. Particular strategies meeting specific conditions mean certain results and looking back at how they all interacted is the key to gaining understanding. It's easier to do this with failure than with success I'd say because there's more time to dwell on it. Political structures, traditions and even ideologies (when particulars are so well understood that they can be generalised) are built on preserving this knowledge and preventing similar mistakes from being repeated again. Don't blame yourself that that source of historical memory has been destroyed or discredited to most people and instead make sure others don't make your mistakes in future.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Just Another Lurker posted:

Could have had a field day with :asoiaf: quotes..... pity it all turned to shite. :yikes:

Uh what

That was just a joke man the article is legit

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As soon as I read the first antimasker I loving knew it would be Paul Gray, 63, retired, f Faringdon, Oxfordshire (or some such arsehole). Also good lol at the second one:

A Very Clever Individual posted:

I won’t be wearing one next week. I don’t believe it should have been mandatory in the first place because being mandatory suggests that people are likely to be irresponsible
They shouldn't have been mandatory because that implies that people would be irresponsible if they were optional, and now that they are optional I will be acting irresponsibly :D

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
I wonder if Andrew Neil genuinely believes his own thought process of "I'm not racist, but this woke thing has gone way too far". Perhaps he really thought there is an audience, bigger than him and his dog, of people that are anti-woke yet not explicitly racist wankers?

It seems more plausible to guess Neil is just plain dumb, rather than a cynical manipulator and also dumb. Although both possibilities are pretty funny

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

:(

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 16, 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^ he definitely believes he is not racist but, & there are a lot of people who are also not racist but, the problem being that actually all of them are racist & the but is nonsense so most of them can't agree on what comes after it

Borrovan posted:

Tom Watson was the thread favourite for deputy back in 2015, beca he was the most left wing of a very bad slate.

I personally didn't vote for him (:smug:) because I thought he was a massive arse on a personal level after the paedo thing, so instead voted for some other shitehawk who I'm sure would have been equally poo poo purely on the basis of their being gay

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

GOD loving DAMMIT I almost went a decade without a quote!=edit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's quite a few bees on my flowers :3:

(One (1) bee, not representative of the total number of bees on my flowers.)

John Carpenter's

Borrovan posted:

the paedo thing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Embrace the overflowing bounty of posting that your body strives to release upon the world.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

TWatson had a bit of a reputation as an attack dog so people thought he could be a good counterpart to Corbyn’s gentle disagreement against the Tories. People didn’t expect him to immediately turn it against his own party leadership.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

jaete posted:

I wonder if Andrew Neil genuinely believes his own thought process of "I'm not racist, but this woke thing has gone way too far". Perhaps he really thought there is an audience, bigger than him and his dog, of people that are anti-woke yet not explicitly racist wankers?

It seems more plausible to guess Neil is just plain dumb, rather than a cynical manipulator and also dumb. Although both possibilities are pretty funny

IME people of that age think they’re not racist because they don’t say the n-word, and their thought process doesn’t go any further than that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Then again Dan Hodges thinks he's not racist because he does say it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Convex posted:

Uh what

That was just a joke man the article is legit

Apologies man, didn't know anything about an article. Your post linked in nicely with 'A Game Of Thrones' so i went with it as an attempt at humour. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not Racist is axiomatic, because I, of course, am a Good Person, and Good People are Not Racist.

Except when I Am Racist because it is Politically Incorrect and makes me a Right Lad which is also a necessary component of being Good.