Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Shes the hypnosis mage. But serie seems to think more of people who have a non-standard reaction to her.

Yeah the criteria seemed to be don’t instinctively react with fear and don’t be Frieran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, I figured cutting girl would make it. She undoubtedly thought "I can definitely kill her."

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

congrats Denken I knew you could do it

also agree, Clone Guy whips rear end.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Yeah the clone guy doing the exam by WFH was just way ahead of his time. Modern magic problems require modern magic solutions.

Nice that Denken was willing to throw hands with Serie over being rejected and that was enough.

E. Revenant fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 14, 2021

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

he'd have won too

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
So, Serie was looking for mages who kept their cool, and were not overwhelmed by her power, and could think calmly while facing her. She also seems to appreciate temerity and guts.

Fern kept analyzing Serie's mana and spotted the instability, which demonstrated her talent, skill and coolly calculating nature.
Denken, once he got the impression that Serie was going to fail him, started running through scenarios of fighting her in his mind, before arriving at the conclusion that he'd ultimately lose.
Wirbel probably instinctively tries to figure out how to defeat anyone he comes accross. Faced with Serie's power, he calmly assessed the situation, and came to the conclusion that fighting her alone was something he couldn't do here and now, but it was a rational judgement, not one based on fear. He gave the impression that would be willing to fight her if situation was more in his favour. Also, his philosophy that magic has purely utilitarian value seemed to match Serie's.
Methode wasn't intimidated, but instead thought that Serie was surprisingly cute.
Land tried to trick Serie and wasn't shaken when she saw through her tricks, impressing her with his moxie.
Ubel probably thought something like "Bitch, I'll cut you", and Serie figured she would do just that if given cause.

Warden fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 15, 2021

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Ngl I would read an entire spinoff comic about Cutting Girl and Clone Guy.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Ngl I would read an entire spinoff comic about Cutting Girl and Clone Guy.

It should have exactly that name, too.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ryde posted:

It should have exactly that name, too.

They cut, they clone! Cut cut cut! Clone clone clone! it's the cut girl and clone guy show!

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Land went from “how is this guy still in” to “oh poo poo he’s the coolest mage in this group” in 3 pages.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FartingBedpost posted:

Land went from “how is this guy still in” to “oh poo poo he’s the coolest mage in this group” in 3 pages.

Best part is, he's the coolest mage in the group because he's not in the group.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Land's based-ness is already in his name.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Trivia: Of the teams established at the beginning of the first-class exam (way back in chapter 37), only Fern's party had all three members pass in the end.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Trivia: Of the teams established at the beginning of the first-class exam (way back in chapter 37), only Fern's party had all three members pass in the end.

Huh, I hadn't realized that. They got lucky with team compositions, in my opinion. If Fern had been saddled with Lavine and Kanne instead of Frieran, their team would have failed for sure.

On the other hand, team-up of Ubel, Frieren and Land would have annihilated any other team.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 59

:burger:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Everyone is surprisingly wholesome.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this arc introduced so many characters, most of whom will likely never appear again because this journey takes time. especially not the standout, rad grandpa denken.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Nemo2342 posted:

Everyone is surprisingly wholesome.

Except the one mage who is a dangerous sociopath.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Grandpa denken may be my favorite character

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

this arc introduced so many characters, most of whom will likely never appear again because this journey takes time. especially not the standout, rad grandpa denken.

Any other series that would bother me, but not here since that seems to be part of the point of the series.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Im sure there will be another 10+ year timeskip and we’ll see a few people again

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

doomrider7 posted:

Any other series that would bother me, but not here since that seems to be part of the point of the series.

"Final farewells are not always because of death."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ethiser posted:

Except the one mage who is a dangerous sociopath.

Frieren may be incredibly powerful and a bit weird, but she got her heart in the right place.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cant cook creole bream posted:

Frieren may be incredibly powerful and a bit weird, but she got her heart in the right place.

Eh, we don't know what the anatomies of elves are like in this world, let alone the anatomies of millenia-old elven mages. Frieren could very well have her heart in her abdomen, or possibly hidden in a fossilized egg in a locked chest in the deepest cave below an uncharted island in the middle of the sea.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Catpetter1981 posted:

Eh, we don't know what the anatomies of elves are like in this world, let alone the anatomies of millenia-old elven mages. Frieren could very well have her heart in her abdomen, or possibly hidden in a fossilized egg in a locked chest in the deepest cave below an uncharted island in the middle of the sea.

I have on good authority that her heart is in a needle in an egg inside a duck inside a hare inside a chest inside a chicken inside a turkey inside an oven.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
turduckens can get much more elaborate when magic is involved.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Obviously she just lost it inside a mimic.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Frieran at the Funeral - Whose Heart was Misplaced inside a Mimic

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

It's not impossible for him to tag along since didn't he just drop the note that his wife died tragically young in the north? And their journey is to visit the land of the dead? He might follow to see her spirit or something.

I'd allow it. He's hilarious in a way the rest of them aren't.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Looking forward to not seeing any of these mages again and move past the relatively short tournament arc.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
As long as that random old guy that gave Stark sage advice keeps showing up im happy.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i hope that guy shows up while denken is trying to tell him something and gets territorial about it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Patware posted:

i hope that guy shows up while denken is trying to tell him something and gets territorial about it

I vote for this one

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

And so the Mage Exam Arc comes to a close.

Serie so salty she shadowbanned Frieren for a millennia. :lmao:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 27, 2021

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Fern's new ultimate magic rocks and Serie got owned. Good chapter.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Fern FTW.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

this manga is so good that I feel spoiled reading it weekly

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 27, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That chapter was perfect. Great stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Serie and Frieren making the exact same stupid face when trying to conceal their dislike for a decision is extremely funny