Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Nuts and Gum posted:

Has anyone successfully got a pre-order after receiving this? or am I just screwing myself harder every time I try lol
Got a brand new error!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I had been getting the too many purchases messages and finally got past it. Clicked the final purchase button and screen is stuck on working...won't be pushing back on the browser this time.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
How many of you people having issues have bought hardware from Steam before?

I had a relatively painless experience but I've also bought an Index. I'm just wondering if Valve has shunted different accounts into different lines based on things LIKE previous purchase history. They did it with how old and if you bought anything at all already.
Kind of like knowing you're good for it?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I got the "wait a while" message at checkout. I'm, right now, in the cart with the deck in cart macroing hitting f5 to refresh the client every 10 seconds. until "a while" is over.

but it will probably be removed before awhile ends.

KakerMix posted:

I had a relatively painless experience but I've also bought an Index.

the index came out before the shitters years. scalpers were still doing Nikes and any new Playstation/Xbox. they were not into actual pc hardware so it was easy to get one even on day 1

now people can't even get good components for a pc and saw this steam deck as an easy in. so of course the scalpers saw it.

if you meant a purchase even during the shitter years, the index is still easy to get because VR has faded into the background even during 2020.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 16, 2021

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I was locked out (too many purchases) but I persisted in clicking and now I'm waiting for the Confirm button to finish

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
I'm just getting the monsters now, can't even get to the checkout page

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Nuts and Gum posted:

Has anyone successfully got a pre-order after receiving this? or am I just screwing myself harder every time I try lol
After about 15 minutes of repeatedly getting this error I managed to get through. Authorised PayPal, clicked the place order button on the final page and it's hanging.

I wonder if this would be happening if they straight up charged you the full thing for it upfront as opposed to just the reservation fee.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Are you not allowed to preorder more than one device? I tried to get a 256 and a 512, one for my bro, but it gives me a warning saying I have duplicate items in my cart. Not like I can actually check out, but thought that was odd?

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 367 days!
Got through, payment validated, and am on minute 10 of "Working"

Not optimistic!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Kifisonfire posted:

After about 15 minutes of repeatedly getting this error I managed to get through. Authorised PayPal, clicked the place order button on the final page and it's hanging.

I wonder if this would be happening if they straight up charged you the full thing for it upfront as opposed to just the reservation fee.

Did you change what payment option you were using? Curious if trying a different payment instrument would trigger a different workflow...

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

Are you not allowed to preorder more than one device? I tried to get a 256 and a 512, one for my bro, but it gives me a warning saying I have duplicate items in my cart. Not like I can actually check out, but thought that was odd?

One per account, according to the FAQ.

KakerMix posted:

I had a relatively painless experience but I've also bought an Index. I'm just wondering if Valve has shunted different accounts into different lines based on things LIKE previous purchase history. They did it with how old and if you bought anything at all already.

I bought a Steam Link, Steam Controller, and a Vive.

It took me about 7 minutes of constant clicking to get my reservation through. And I had to use mobile because on my PC it was telling me my 15 year old account was too new.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Nuts and Gum posted:

One per account.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
And I'm right back to "a lot of purchases"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Nuts and Gum posted:

It’s one per account.

They are terrified of scalpers

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Kifisonfire posted:

If you accepted the ToS and clicked the last purchase button that changed over to "working," sit at that page for a few minutes. Do not click back or anything else. Wait for it to complete or error out.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
This brings me back to ordering encyclopedia sets on AOL

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
thanks, that makes sense. I saw someone earlier in the thread managed to grab two preorders, must have been through different accounts.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Nuts and Gum posted:

Did you change what payment option you were using? Curious if trying a different payment instrument would trigger a different workflow...
I did swap from Paypal to just using my bank details, then went back to Paypal but it still took a good 5 minutes after that to get further. Doubt that would've helped get through really.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Argyle posted:

poo poo, I thought it was frozen and backed out. Went back to my cart and it gave me errors every time I clicked "continue". Now it's telling me I've "attempted to make too many purchases in the last couple hours". gently caress.

Over 30 minutes later I tried again and got the same error. Guess I'll wait a full hour? Idk. The reservation is still in my cart though, so that's not nothing.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I took their advice and submitted a support ticket, asking for a reservation at the space I would have been the first time I tried to purchase, given that they made it impossible for me to get any reasonable spot in the queue due to their fuckups.

I mean, they're going to laugh and close the ticket without even a reply, but hey, sometimes you want to just scream into the void.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin
Managed to get my main account locked in the "too many purchases" infinite cycle, got through on the secondary - way more hassle than I thought it would be. Small indie company etc

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Got through in 2 minutes of refreshes, guess I just got lucky? On the other hand I've probably left it far too late to get one by this time next year by the sound of the demand.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Marx Headroom posted:

This brings me back to ordering encyclopedia sets on AOL

This was also how the PS5 and switch pre orders went.

Depending on the site

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I managed to get an order through for the 512gb model.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i just went with 256 because i'm mostly going to play indie games and older AAA titles on it. i have a beefy desktop for new AAA games

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

KakerMix posted:

I have never ordered any hardware from steam and didn't have any real issues getting through the ordering process. I feel like I always get lucky on these things, I have a launch 3080 FE, have bought two PS5s and now this.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I got a 256 through but my CC and Steam both say "Pending" and I haven't gotten a receipt yet, so I'm feeling like things are going to go Bad for me.

e: as with all things, I spoke my concerns into the air and got my receipt

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

The United States posted:

Got a brand new error!

im waiting 10 minutes now in between retries! Hopefully the item in my cart doesn't disappear.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Deathlove posted:

I got a 256 through but my CC and Steam both say "Pending" and I haven't gotten a receipt yet, so I'm feeling like things are going to go Bad for me.

I never saw it on my CC. It was on my steam purchase history for 15 minutes then disappeared. Now I can't re-purchase, so... gently caress it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Its already at Q2 2022 availability now lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Been locked out of the account for purchasing for like 20 minutes. yeah its over

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Deathlove posted:

Same. Love the "may have been completed" like Steam is collapsing a waveform function here.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Oh boy a brand new one

No email so far. What is the account status page? I'm hesitant to click it since I'm on Steam and don't really want to leave that final purchase screen.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Kifisonfire posted:

Oh boy a brand new one

No email so far. What is the account status page? I'm hesitant to click it since I'm on Steam and don't really want to leave that final purchase screen.

This is what I got, it will show pending on your purchases page. Then either work or not work.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

No point even bothering now when they're estimating even if I get a preorder in it won't get coming to at least this time next year

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Where is the availability info?

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

ShaneB posted:

This is what I got, it will show pending on your purchases page. Then either work or not work.
Yeah mine is showing pending, which I don't have high hopes for really. Fun way to spend a Friday afternoon I guess.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 367 days!
Went through but seems problematic, idk

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Kaddish posted:

Where is the availability info?

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU