Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I wouldnt want to spend that much on first gen Valve hardware. maybe the inside is filled with spiders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Barreft posted:

No point even bothering now when they're estimating even if I get a preorder in it won't get coming to at least this time next year

If it’s anything like getting the Index, it’s not going to ever get any better. Your best bet is to get an order whenever you can if you have the slightest interest on this.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Ah, I thought you guys were getting individual estimates.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Barreft posted:

Its already at Q2 2022 availability now lol

I'm still seeing Q1 2022, checked just now. I'm in the US - it's possible they're calculating availability by country.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I finally got past the "too many purchases" error at 12:42, and then my payment went through and I got the email right away.

My only hope is that since I had the same item in my cart since 12:05 or so maybe I'll still be in the early batch? Not likely, I know. At least if I'm in a later batch of orders I'll have a chance to read reviews before I have to decide to buy it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bone Crimes posted:

yeah where are you guys seeing this?

It’s right on the main page. Q1 2022 for 64 and 256 and Q2 2022 for 512 right now.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 361 days!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If it’s anything like getting the Index, it’s not going to ever get any better. Your best bet is to get an order whenever you can if you have the slightest interest on this.

Unlike the Index alot of people want this though

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 361 days!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s right on the main page. Q1 2022 for 64 and 256 and Q2 2022 for 512 right now.
Broke rear end gamer supremacy :smug:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tenderjerk posted:

Unlike the Index alot of people want this though

Yeah this is going to be worse (to get) in every possible way.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bone Crimes posted:

yeah where are you guys seeing this?

Right below the purchase button. Looks like this for me right now:

E: It's showing me expected Q1 even for the versions I didn't reserve, so I don't think that's just for my reservation.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
How do you find out when you're expected to be able to order one? I got my reservation about 10 mins after they opened but I don't see anything about a timeframe in this email confirmation.

e: nvm

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
I made it past "too many purchases" at last, but now I'm stuck on the confirmation page. Got a greyed out "Working" button and nothing's happening.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I wonder if older steam accounts had queue priority. My account is ~17 years old, was able to reserve. Expected order date is Q1 2022.

I still had to spam like crazy though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Soul Glo posted:

How do you find out when you're expected to be able to order one? I got my reservation about 10 mins after they opened but I don't see anything about a timeframe in this email confirmation.

They’ll probably finalize orders closer to actual shipping. Probably a few weeks if not closer depending on how they rollout at launch.

I’m currently just sitting on “working” at the end of placing the order. No idea if it’s actually working on doing anything.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/thexpaw/status/1416095435316473858?s=21

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I just realized that the order time in my email from Steam is different from the time I actually received the email. The e-mail arrived at 1:07, but it shows "date issued: 7/16 at 10:04." Useful to know if you're gonna be trying to compare your time with others later this year and next year to see when your order might be ready to ship. Seems like the order went through right after I clicked the last purchase button, despite it sitting at "working" for ~5 min before taking me to the purchase complete screen.

Wordicuffs
Jun 14, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

People will start cancelling pre-orders after the first batch releases and they find out SteamOS is as high quality as this checkout process.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Finally got through. Very excited to play Morrowind on the go and give my hands 3rd degree burns

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Huh I just randomly reloaded and got a 512gb preorder, we'll see if it goes through. Long wait for next year though

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Yeah I have a cancel reservation button but nothing under that. The other two models do show a timeframe though. Weird. Maybe I'm in the first batch?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

the heck is this game boy poo poo?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

appropriatemetaphor posted:

You mean game gear. Steam Deck is a brick shithouse.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol purchasing games on Steam right now is completely hosed. I can't even redeem steam keys. All of this for a Game Gear 2021 model.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
After going back and checking the page while logged in, it also shows my availability as Q1 2022 for the 512.

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat

appropriatemetaphor posted:

GabeBoy

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Kaddish posted:

After going back and checking the page while logged in, it also shows my availability as Q1 2022 for the 512.

Mine's Q2, but I'm not buying from a scalper so I'll deal.

e: I also used a credit card for the first time and it went through quick, after trying my Steam Wallet for the last hour and getting nothig

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
After waiting a bit, I tried a few more times and after each error waited a minute.

The paypal confirmation went through and I clicked purchase. lets see if this works or not

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Waiting 10 minutes got me through the buy block, but now it's been 5 minutes on 'Working' on the last authorization step.

I've just spent an hour trying to spend half a grand on a gameboy with touchpads, so I can get in line to wait 7-9 months for it to ship.

I'm not surprised my life ended up like this, but maybe I thought things could be different? What a fool i was.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
I'm now getting "Your transaction cannot be completed because you have another pending transaction on your account". I can see a pending transaction in my order history but no charge on my card.

Hopefully they manage to process it?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Magic Mango posted:

I'm now getting "Your transaction cannot be completed because you have another pending transaction on your account". I can see a pending transaction in my order history but no charge on my card.

This was exactly my process

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Magic Mango posted:

:same: I can’t even see my order history tho, lol.

Steam’s dyin, cloud.

EDIT: my order history loaded and it’s there. Still saying pending so gently caress it hopefully that’s enough. Back to work.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Nuts and Gum posted:

Has anyone successfully got a pre-order after receiving this? or am I just screwing myself harder every time I try lol
Yep, I eventually got through to the confirmation purchase page (after over an hour).

Confirmation purchase page wouldn't go through with PayPal at all, despite making purchases with it during the steam summer sale just fine. Had to change it to a credit card directly.

After that it took another 5 minutes to actually go through but it did, and received a purchase confirmation email in my inbox.

Also received this lovely treasure from gaben:

:shrug:

The REAL Goobusters posted:

After waiting a bit, I tried a few more times and after each error waited a minute.

The paypal confirmation went through and I clicked purchase. lets see if this works or not
Huh, I couldn't get PayPal to work at all.

I said come in! posted:

lol purchasing games on Steam right now is completely hosed. I can't even redeem steam keys. All of this for a Game Gear 2021 model.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 16, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
This system has been more successful in one hour than Google Stadia has been it's entire lifespan.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

I just got through for a 512 after trying since the second the reservations opened. Pretty cool how I'll probably get it in like two years because they said "we want to sell millions of these" and then also said "oh poo poo people are trying to buy them we didn't prepare for this"

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
yeah seems like everyone is moving along to new errors.

It shows up in my purchase history as pending purchase. Whatever, I need a loving break from the computer.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Just got through. I got it in the cart during the opening rush and then kept getting either the "account not old enough" or the "stop trying so hard" errors.

Just gave it a little time, reopened the browser and was able to buy from the cart, so maybe it's clearing up?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

The United States posted:

Confirmation purchase page wouldn't go through with PayPal at all, despite making purchases with it during the steam summer sale just fine. Had to change it to a credit card directly

That's funny, my credit card Pending failed and when I changed to Paypal it went through instantly with email receipt. Steam delivers another hour of thrilling entertainment

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat
I think I've been able to purchase it. The trick was refreshing the checkout page instead of pressing the Continue button over and over.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Keto getting the "There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance" when I try to pay ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

The way this all went gives me no faith that they'll properly handle a potential situation where a bunch of people don't follow through on their reservations. Like what are they going to do if they notify the first group of people and half of them don't actually buy it once it exists? I don't trust them to bump up later reservations in that case.