Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Seymour Buttz posted:

The way this all went gives me no faith that they'll properly handle a potential situation where a bunch of people don't follow through on their reservations. Like what are they going to do if they notify the first group of people and half of them don't actually buy it once it exists? I don't trust them to bump up later reservations in that case.

What does this mean

How do you think this works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I just gave up and came back just now and the 512 one was still in my cart and I got it no problem. Weird.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Seymour Buttz posted:

The way this all went gives me no faith that they'll properly handle a potential situation where a bunch of people don't follow through on their reservations. Like what are they going to do if they notify the first group of people and half of them don't actually buy it once it exists? I don't trust them to bump up later reservations in that case.

In theory it makes it easier to deal with people dropping out, there's just a queue by transaction date based on the reservations; in practice, having seen what this process is like? lol

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Are you loving joking, credit card goes through instantly. I was trying PayPal all this time

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I was able to snag a steam deck. Can't wait to game like a king.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

free steam deck

0292H-TZQNX-MMXTM

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

particle9 posted:

I just gave up and came back just now and the 512 one was still in my cart and I got it no problem. Weird.

What’s your availability date?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

particle9 posted:

What's your expected order availability? It's listed on the reservation page when you're logged into your account: https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

particle9 posted:

I just got the same thing. Waited for my original transaction to see if that would go through, ended up refreshing my purchase history and saw the transaction wasn't there any more.

But the 512 was still in my cart and I went through pretty smoothly.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Marx Headroom posted:

That's funny, my credit card Pending failed and when I changed to Paypal it went through instantly with email receipt. Steam delivers another hour of thrilling entertainment
I wonder if it's simply the act of changing payment methods that unfucks something in the steam system?

Nuts and Gum posted:

yeah seems like everyone is moving along to new errors.

It shows up in my purchase history as pending purchase. Whatever, I need a loving break from the computer.
I got that a couple times too, going back and forth between that and the STEAM 2: TOO MANY PURCHASES error, and it eventually went through but took forever.

teagone posted:

I wonder if older steam accounts had queue priority. My account is ~17 years old, was able to reserve. Expected order date is Q1 2022.

I still had to spam like crazy though.
I have an account as old as Steam itself and you'd think it wouldn't take me over an hour for a purchase to go through if I had any priority.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m going to guess this is a lot of people’s first time pre order hardware

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Boo, expected Q1 2022.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Got the email confirmation. lets go

Twoflower
May 4, 2006

But what is the Internet? Is it a computer with the Internet inside?
Finally got through, after getting sick of the errors with trying Paypal just tried CC on a whim and made it through. Who knows. Was added to my cart around 12:00:63 CT, so it's been a fun 90ish minutes :confuoot:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Steam Deck would have been better without the screen or the controls. It would have been a tiny portable PC, smaller than the Switch, with lots of horsepower that you could put in your bag and plug it in wherever and whenever you'd like. THAT would be a killer product. The battery running out in 2 hours under active use means you'll be plugging in that sucker anyway, and if you're going to do that, you might as well connect it to a monitor.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Apple is the only company with a working system for preordering hardware at scale.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Twoflower posted:

Finally got through, after getting sick of the errors with trying Paypal just tried CC on a whim and made it through. Who knows. Was added to my cart around 12:00:63 CT, so it's been a fun 90ish minutes :confuoot:

Thats ohow i got it to finally work

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

teagone posted:

What's your expected order availability? It's listed on the reservation page when you're logged into your account: https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

"Reservation servers are busy please try again." lol

edit: Q2 2022? Can't tell if this is personalized or just what they have on the splash screen.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

CharlestheHammer posted:

What does this mean

How do you think this works

I think it works like this

"When inventory is available, customers will be notified in the order reservations were made to make their purchase."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Blattdorf posted:

Steam Deck would have been better without the screen or the controls. It would have been a tiny portable PC, smaller than the Switch, with lots of horsepower that you could put in your bag and plug it in wherever and whenever you'd like. THAT would be a killer product. The battery running out in 2 hours under active use means you'll be plugging in that sucker anyway, and if you're going to do that, you might as well connect it to a monitor.

It is a tiny portable PC that you can plug into a monitor and attach peripherals to though?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Finally managed to sneak in for the 512GB after one and a half hours of errors and “too many attempts”. Now I guess I’ll forget about this for about a year when I’ll get my shipment notification.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Are you loving joking, credit card goes through instantly. I was trying PayPal all this time
I was stuck on the ordering page forever getting mostly the TOO MANY PURCHASES MY BOY error using both PayPal and a credit card, once actually on the order confirmation page PayPal simply wouldn't go through so I had to switch to CC.

Seymour Buttz posted:

When it becomes available they will simply charge the same payment method used to preorder and if it doesn't work they will simply not sell them the product and move on to the next person, it's not like they are lacking in people to sell this to.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Magic Mango posted:

Apple is the only company with a working system for preordering hardware at scale.
I've preordered stuff through Amazon and Best Buy before, never had these sorts of problems with the store throwing up a half dozen different bright yellow flashing banner error messages

and not even letting you give them money. They simply let me go through with the purchase like it was a normal purchase at full price (promising not to charge until it's ready to ship) and giving me the date of when it would be available and shipping.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 16, 2021

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Blattdorf posted:

you know laptops exist right

Twoflower
May 4, 2006

Animal posted:

Finally managed to sneak in for the 512GB after one and a half hours of errors and “too many attempts”. Now I guess I’ll forget about this for about a year when I’ll get my shipment notification.

well don't forget that hard, because in a year you'll get an email telling you that you're able to order.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Magic Mango posted:

Yeah I didn’t do it but the every console I’ve seen has been a shot show

Except worse as that shitshow meant you might not get one for years

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Blattdorf posted:

Ah yes, the two things I always carry with me: A high-power USB-C charger and my 27" external monitor. They're so close to the same size, I can take them both anywhere!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

punk rebel ecks posted:

This system has been more successful in one hour than Google Stadia has been it's entire lifespan.

:iceburn:

Blattdorf posted:

But you can do exactly everything you suggest? The screen and controls being stuck on the sides of it allows it to be portable. It already is a tiny portable PC with lots of horsepower that you can put in your bag and plug it in wherever and whenever you'd like.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Blattdorf posted:

So a mini PC, which already exists. You are completely free to buy one right this minute, although for some reason no-one wants to.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

The United States posted:

I was stuck on the ordering page forever getting mostly the TOO MANY PURCHASES MY BOY error using both PayPal and a credit card, once actually on the order confirmation page PayPal simply wouldn't go through so I had to switch to CC.

When it becomes available they will simply charge the same payment method used to preorder and if it doesn't work they will simply not sell them the product and move on to the next person, it's not like they are lacking in people to sell this to.

Except it says people will be NOTIFIED in order of their reservation times, not charged. I'm saying I don't think they will "simply" move on to the next person and it's gonna be another poo poo show all over again where people who want to buy it can't because of a hosed up queue that doesn't work. No poo poo they're not lacking in people to sell it to.

Everyone talks like a fuckin rear end in a top hat in this thread.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fawf posted:

free steam deck

0292H-TZQNX-MMXTM

omg this actually worked, it gave me a 64GB Steam Deck for free! Thank you so much!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Seymour Buttz posted:

Except it says people will be NOTIFIED in order of their reservation times, not charged. I'm saying I don't think they will "simply" move on to the next person and it's gonna be another poo poo show all over again where people who want to buy it can't because of a hosed up queue that doesn't work. No poo poo they're not lacking in people to sell it to.

It’s just a line they move onto the next one.

It’s not really comparable to everyone flooding in and trying to order at once.

They control the line they can’t control this

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s just a line they move onto the next one.

It’s not really comparable to everyone flooding in and trying to order at once.

They control the line they can’t control this

What if Gaben solders my preorder to the floor and I don't actually get it :negative:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Seymour Buttz posted:

Everyone talks like a fuckin rear end in a top hat in this thread.
Well that's a weird way to handle it why would they do it that way

And everyone is frustrated with Valve and Gaben right now

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Well that took entirely too long and I'm virtually sure I'll get one of the orders backed up to Q2 2022, but I got my 512 model ordered. It disappeared from my cart at one point and i had to go back and re-do the purchase through my failed transactions page. I had five to choose from.

Boy do I love gamer FOMO culture.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
I had the same "your order may have gone through" pending statuses from the first few minutes of the window to order, but Steam just wiped it out so now I'm way at the back of the line for a Q2 2022.

In 2021, it's amazing that most companies still can't figure out smooth online ordering.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

teagone posted:

Does anybody here have something shown earlier than Q1 2022?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Huh, I pressed buy and confirmed payment details 1 minute after orders opened, but it hung and wouldn't reload so I just gave up on it. Just got an email confirming my order at 1 minute past. Hopefully that means I'm near the front of the queue and will get it at release.

Twoflower
May 4, 2006

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Well that took entirely too long and I'm virtually sure I'll get one of the orders backed up to Q2 2022, but I got my 512 model ordered. It disappeared from my cart at one point and i had to go back and re-do the purchase through my failed transactions page. I had five to choose from.

Boy do I love gamer FOMO culture.

My FOMO hasn't been helped by the consoles supply being a shitshow. Thought maybe at least I could get a used PS4 for cheap since I skipped that whole generation but even those are going for stupid prices now.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
After reserving a 64GB model, I am slightly concerned about the storage speed. I have a 128gb MicroSD so I'm not concerned about space, but I don't know if the impact to speed is going to make me regret holding out on an extra hundge for the 256GB model. Is the difference between EMMc and SSD dramatic enough to really negatively impact my experience, or will the load times just be slightly longer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lol