Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

idk man this IP fever has got to break sometime soon (i keep telling myself, hoping it does but not sure if it will)

Nostalgia has a weird loving grip on people and we're going through the 90s again. And even if something sucks, they will just push out another new one. It's kind of the paradox. If it's a hit, that's another sequel. If it's poo poo, well they aren't going to go for something original next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
All movies from now on will be machine generated Spiderman/Elsa youtubes

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
My nostalgia is for a future that no longer exists. Bring it, advertisers.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Tubgoat posted:

The Hauntology of Hill House

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Tubgoat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L4aR-Kr3xs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQUgpMJ7F10

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
We'll get a new Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue but it's about depression because Disney doesn't want to have Winnie the Pooh talking about opioids.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Hodgepodge posted:

we must celebrate our rulers' ability to own the products of other peoples minds

How can naysayers argue that long-term ownership of IP is stymieing creativity and destroying the commons when Warner have self-evidently professionalised and improved on the "youtube poop"?

alternative post,

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

There will come a time when media decides to use Youtube Poops but only with properties they own to avoid copyright. Warping Superman's dialogue to say 'rear end ssa' and flying back and forth repeatingly.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I like no individual element of this painting but I think it is really neat for reasons I cannot verbalise.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44tKpQ5Fo2Y

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

HootTheOwl posted:

That's not his character arc and he's portrayed as right at the end of the series?
He doesn't want the throne, he wants to survive, Sylvie is wrong and we know this because after she kills Kang Loki goes back to the TVA and we see that dead Kang was right, a new Kang has shown up, taken over, and is rapidly pruning timelines to stay in power. The something worse he warned her about happened.

there is, unfortunately, no fundamental change in the universe before or after Kang’s death. it isn’t much worse. timelines were pruned, timelines are pruned; variants were purged, variants are purged; bad things did happen, bad things are happening. but while that was just one (and probably the most likely) potential outcome, we know that Loki assuming control of the sacred timeline would have been no different: timelines would have been pruned, variants would have been purged, bad things would have happened.

by killing Kang, Sylvie gave the universe a chance to exercise free will and potentially find a new path - that another tyrant showed up is incidental to her decision to remove him from power. she made the morally correct choice. it’s like how the French were right to end the ancien regime and Napoleon ascending to the throne to rampage across Europe doesn’t change that fact.

if all he wanted was for Sylvie to be safe and to be with her, they could have survived quite peacefully at that castle beyond time whether they ruled the timeline or not. they’d have control of Alioth. any variant Kang who made it that far wouldn’t have the tools or skills to defeat them. Loki just wanted to be the one to decide which path they’d take, and every previous episode underlines this as a fundamental aspect of his character.

but all of this aside, to me it’s very simple in the end: if Loki assumed Kang’s position he’d be forcing Mobius, Loki’s only friend in the universe, to become a slave, massacring his variant brothers and sisters for eternity. if you think that portrayal makes him “right” I don’t know what to tell you

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

well… it is billed as a comedy film, and im certainly lolling

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Ultimately I think the message of Loki wasn't that change was bad (the TVA was presented throughout the series as incredibly misguided dupes at best, and willingly monstrous at worst, so I don't think the status quo was tenable), but that if you want to change things you need to do more than just destroy what is, you need to be ready to accept responsibility for building something that comes after. In the end, for all his power lust, Loki found the responsibility intimidating and decided to focus instead on more personal stakes; Sylvie's primary interest, meanwhile, was just revenge with little interest in the consequences. Loki was the liberal, Sylvie the (television) anarchist, and both were wrong in different ways.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

why why why why why biden dot gif

It's hard for me to express just how much I hate this.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm watching episode 3 because my kid found out about general grievous and every time Ewan Mcgregor says "sith" it sounds like he's saying cis

cis lords

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

indigi posted:

there is, unfortunately, no fundamental change in the universe before or after Kang’s death. it isn’t much worse. timelines were pruned, timelines are pruned; variants were purged, variants are purged; bad things did happen, bad things are happening. but while that was just one (and probably the most likely) potential outcome, we know that Loki assuming control of the sacred timeline would have been no different: timelines would have been pruned, variants would have been purged, bad things would have happened.

by killing Kang, Sylvie gave the universe a chance to exercise free will and potentially find a new path - that another tyrant showed up is incidental to her decision to remove him from power. she made the morally correct choice. it’s like how the French were right to end the ancien regime and Napoleon ascending to the throne to rampage across Europe doesn’t change that fact.

if all he wanted was for Sylvie to be safe and to be with her, they could have survived quite peacefully at that castle beyond time whether they ruled the timeline or not. they’d have control of Alioth. any variant Kang who made it that far wouldn’t have the tools or skills to defeat them. Loki just wanted to be the one to decide which path they’d take, and every previous episode underlines this as a fundamental aspect of his character.

but all of this aside, to me it’s very simple in the end: if Loki assumed Kang’s position he’d be forcing Mobius, Loki’s only friend in the universe, to become a slave, massacring his variant brothers and sisters for eternity. if you think that portrayal makes him “right” I don’t know what to tell you
We don't know that loki would even have a sacred timeline. For all we know loki would just spend his and the TVA's time killing baby Kang-Hitlers across every timeline.

It's not incedental it's exactly what the villain said would happen. I don't know how to have a bigger sign that a protagonist is wrong than by having the villain monlogue for twenty minutes about the consequences of a character's actions and then be 100% right when the protagonist does the one the villain didn't want.

How do you know that isn't what they were going to do? The only evidence that he wasn't going to this was Sylvie declaring he wasn't going to do it.

You're making assumptions about the actions of the characters which require you to ignore what's depicted on the screen.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Falstaff posted:

if you want to change things you need to do more than just destroy what is, you need to be ready to accept responsibility for building something that comes after.

like removed from the context of the show I fully agree with this point, but as far as the MCU goes there is no planning for infinite contingencies, which is a necessary consequence of allowing free will in a multiversal cosmos with easy travel between timelines. that’s why Kang’s solution was to remove free will and only keep one timeline. he could have kept two timelines maybe, a dev and a prod timeline, will but he didn’t

I don’t think Sylvie was abrogating responsibility for her decision, she even seems to grudgingly agree that Kang could be right by the end of their fight

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I'm watching episode 3 because my kid found out about general grievous and every time Ewan Mcgregor says "sith" it sounds like he's saying cis

cis lords

one of the trans threads used to have the title "only a cis lord thinks in absolutes" for awhile

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

We don't know that loki would even have a sacred timeline.

yeah we do, he says they shouldn’t allow alternate timelines to form

HootTheOwl posted:

It's not incedental it's exactly what the villain said would happen.

yes it is, just because I win a bet at the pass line doesn’t mean i knew a 7 or 11 would come out

HootTheOwl posted:

How do you know that isn't what they were going to do?

because if that’s what he wanted to do there’s no in universe reason to fight to keep Kang alive. there’s also no reason not to say that while Sylvie had a sword to his throat. sheesh, talk about ignoring what’s depicted!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/fatalfarm/status/1416117865594249216?s=20

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

indigi posted:

I don’t think Sylvie was abrogating responsibility for her decision, she even seems to grudgingly agree that Kang could be right by the end of their fight

Right, she agrees Kang could be right... and doesn't care, because it's revenge that she's after. It's her primary purpose, and overwhelms any other motive she might have. How is that not abrogating responsibility? She doesn't care what comes after, even in the face of multiversal armageddon, she just wants the man who hurt her (and countless others) to die.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/RealNBAExpert/status/1415944260453601280

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

idk man this IP fever has got to break sometime soon (i keep telling myself, hoping it does but not sure if it will)

It will never break.
So long there are fans of a thing that will pay enough to get what they want, and people willing to make it, -it will continue.

The majority of human life has been a constant "IP fever."
Think of the cristian religion as popular culture. -The Jesus fan base.
King Author, Sherlock Holmes, Don Quixote all these things have never stopped.
Just like how Pokemon, Ninja turtles, and Scooby Doo have never stopped.

You are a weird person. It's not your fault.
You were raised in a world where there is just a constant churn of "new IPs" or just "New Release."
(Fatal Attraction became Swimfan )

Nobody called Muppet Babies a reboot.
Movie watchers had to invent a concept to make themselves feel comfortable
And what comforts movie watchers more than anything else is the breaking up of history.

Movie watchers don't want to have to remember anything.
For a brief moment gaming took on the term "moment to moment experience."
as a way to replace talking about mechanics.
And people went back to mechanics because it was lame.
Final Fantasy 7 Remake

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 22:03 on Jul 16, 2021

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Finally watched Mystic River and lol that this got so many Oscar nominations. None of the performances are particularly good and the editing is bizarre. The scene near the end with goddess Laura Linney is maybe the most fascist poo poo I've scene in an Eastwood film which is saying something

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

is Elon in it?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMBylNJQEbg

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

A pop culture snake eating its own tails.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

cis lords

The Seperatists' official title is the C.I.S. (Confederacy of Independent Systems); clearly Lucas was going for subliminal messaging here

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

loving ridiculous.

"Your video is bringing too many users to the site so you're banned".

Pour one out for the greatest fanfiction of all time:

https://vimeo.com/86014703

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

StashAugustine posted:

The Seperatists' official title is the C.I.S. (Confederacy of Independent Systems); clearly Lucas was going for subliminal messaging here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Independent_States

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Man gently caress vimeo

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Falstaff posted:

Ultimately I think the message of Loki wasn't that change was bad (the TVA was presented throughout the series as incredibly misguided dupes at best, and willingly monstrous at worst, so I don't think the status quo was tenable), but that if you want to change things you need to do more than just destroy what is, you need to be ready to accept responsibility for building something that comes after. In the end, for all his power lust, Loki found the responsibility intimidating and decided to focus instead on more personal stakes; Sylvie's primary interest, meanwhile, was just revenge with little interest in the consequences. Loki was the liberal, Sylvie the (television) anarchist, and both were wrong in different ways.

Having not watched the final episode yet, but that's a fair message. If any problem it's the wider media that subtracts there being Marxists that want to do the rebuilding so it always ends up being despotic reactionaries that get to rebuild.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
When I was reading descriptions of these I thought it was weird to complain about Looney Tunes making pop culture references when it was common to base an episode around Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall showing up to a restaurant (1947), or Wile E Coyote puts on a Batman costume to try to catch the Roadrunner (1956), but that's pretty jarring. If you saw someone photoshop the Roadrunner into a shot from Fury Road and shared it on Twitter you'd probably get a lot of chuckles, but it's not really a gag worth filling out minutes of a feature film. Instead it comes across like more of a threat that they own all these properties and now they can make them kith.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Knight posted:

When I was reading descriptions of these I thought it was weird to complain about Looney Tunes making pop culture references when it was common to base an episode around Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall showing up to a restaurant (1947), or Wile E Coyote puts on a Batman costume to try to catch the Roadrunner (1956), but that's pretty jarring. If you saw someone photoshop the Roadrunner into a shot from Fury Road and shared it on Twitter you'd probably get a lot of chuckles, but it's not really a gag worth filling out minutes of a feature film. Instead it comes across like more of a threat that they own all these properties and now they can make them kith.

So many clips of this movie feel way better to just make as an advertisement for HBO Max. It's what I hate of this thing. It's a 2 hour commercial.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

you dont really need to know who humphrey bogart is to get the humphrey bogart cartoon hes just an aggressively caricatured dude whos going to beat the poo poo out of elmer fudd if he doesnt get his rabbit

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Blood Boils posted:

Man gently caress vimeo

They're going from "YouTube but artsy" to now being a place to host corporate seminars and training videos.

This is not the first time that they have done this. They tried to extort the Botchamania guy, as well as some other IWC video groups.

https://twitter.com/Maffewgregg/status/1251817769336745984?s=19

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

DesertIslandHermit posted:

So many clips of this movie feel way better to just make as an advertisement for HBO Max. It's what I hate of this thing. It's a 2 hour commercial.
https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1416382184164843522?s=20

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Falstaff posted:

Right, she agrees Kang could be right... and doesn't care, because it's revenge that she's after. It's her primary purpose, and overwhelms any other motive she might have. How is that not abrogating responsibility? She doesn't care what comes after, even in the face of multiversal armageddon, she just wants the man who hurt her (and countless others) to die.

do you understand the difference between prediction and knowledge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

lmao