Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

You can get ceramic spray on stuff, used that in the past and did a good job against stones and bug guts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
62/145 from Montrose to Cortez via Telluride is a stunning drive.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Porsche is refunding the $2k we spent repairing our Macan's airbag sensor because it ended up a recall. :toot:

Actually, that makes me wonder: I wonder how many airbag sensors have to go bad before they get recalled?

Exactly two months later, check is finally here. :smug:

Although apparently there's another airbag seat sensor update, so they're going to have to replace it again. :suicide:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 16, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Although apparently there's another airbag seat sensor update, so they're going to have to replace it again. :suicide:

95B-1009263-3

(part number was made up, but you know how those suffixes go in porscheland)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

lawl
yep :smith:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Part#948-602-104-22

That is literally the current part number for my ignition coils. I think I have -14s.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Motronic posted:

Part#948-602-104-22

That is literally the current part number for my ignition coils. I think I have -14s.
:stonklol:

Local PCA chapter is having a driving tour followed by a gathering for food, wine and music next weekend. Not too interested in the gathering but might do the driving tour and hope to be 'stuck' near some old air cooled beauties.

Have put about Have put about 1k miles on the Cayman since it arrived. Waiting on some gaskets to replace the leaky windshield washer tank and I need to get some tint applied because black on black and TN summer is bad.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

NitroSpazzz posted:

Have put about Have put about 1k miles on the Cayman since it arrived. Waiting on some gaskets to replace the leaky windshield washer tank and I need to get some tint applied because black on black and TN summer is bad.
I miss my Cayman so bad that I'm looking at used GT4s to trade for and then noping out when I see the asking prices :(

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Seeing what ever non-S 987 are going for on BaT and listed is nuts but encouraging. Pretty sure I could offload it for a decent profit if I needed to. But AC 911s are going for even crazier money and that's about the only thing I'd sell the cayman for at the moment.

Radiator screens arrived a couple hours ago. Not sure if I'll wait until I do the third radiator or just install the side ones now.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

NitroSpazzz posted:

Radiator screens arrived a couple hours ago. Not sure if I'll wait until I do the third radiator or just install the side ones now.

If you do it the quick and dirty way with zip ties it's pretty fast. I did mine myself but had a shop do the 3rd radiator

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Can we get a new thread title? Because this sure as hell qualifies:

Punish me Porsche daddy. You're worth it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

McTinkerson posted:

Can we get a new thread title? Because this sure as hell qualifies:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Yeah okay that can be arranged

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Bajaha posted:

:hmmyes:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Bajaha posted:

This is my wallet every time something Porsche specific is needed on the Macan.
So it is very much applicable to me.

Just paid an indie shop to perform the 4 year / 50k km PDK fluid and filter change. PDK unicorn blood is expensive and the temperature specific filling procedure would make me question my sanity if I tried it myself without the right tools (including at the minimum a quick jack).

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

slidebite posted:

NP. Some of the edges around the connector look a little funny/broken, but as long as the plug itself works I don't know why that would be a problem.

Also - I am assuming the electrical connectors are the same between the xenon and halogen but I have zero clue so you might want to just compare those pictures to your existing harness and see if it looks right.

They have a tiny bit of yellowing on the inside. Should I keep looking?

https://imgur.com/a/zTGLK0f

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

willroc7 posted:

They have a tiny bit of yellowing on the inside. Should I keep looking?

https://imgur.com/a/zTGLK0f

Up to you really. I had my 987 headlights polished to the max and the fading of the internal plastics bugged me enough that I ended up dropping $$$$ on a new OE set of headlights.

But then again I tend to be a little :spergin: about keeping things looking like new. See my thread for reference for my particular brand of crazy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bajaha posted:

Up to you really.
But I'd buy em if the price was right and needed them.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Thanks. I think I'll give them a go. Worst case, I can resell them.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Unless you find new ones at this point all 986 lights are probably going to be yellowing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

CEL tripped again, same codes, indicate MAF.

Got a new OEM Bosch unit. Actually bought it from Amazon but had the 996# right on it.

Replaced it, cleared codes, fired it up keeping my OBD2 reader plugged in.

Immediately ran like absolute dogshit. Threw 10 new codes within seconds. Stench of raw fuel in the exhaust.

BUT, after a few more seconds starting running noticeably smoother... and progressively better.

Took it out for a rip, babying it at first. No stumbles, misses. Took it out on the highway and got it to redline up to 3rd and no hesitation. No CEL again either (probably put on 20k)

A bit of reading shows that some say after the MAF is replaced the ECU does a re-learn, not sure about the truth of that but it did certainly run better after running a bit :shrug:

I'll drive it a bit more tonight but if the CEL trips again, I'm thinking I'm going to have to go over my intake that I disassembled when doing the hoses a couple months ago. Maybe something isn't tight? But hopefully it was legit the MAF and we're good.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Sensor recalibration, especially for mass airflow sensors, is very much a thing. If the ECU was compensating for your MAF failing the I would absolutely expect it to idle like poo poo.

Based on the description I would totally bet money that it was the airflow sensor and the CEL won't be coming back.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Good to know - appreciate it.

Will put some more miles on it later tonight and see if it comes back. Here's to hoping, I really don't want to go through that intake/TB/plenum again. It's a pain in the rear end.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Love a good maf. Hope that was your issue. Never fun to have a car start up running worse after a fix though lol

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-porsche-911-carrera-204/

$53K 996

Granted, it's nice, low miles and aero but :eyepop:

That's getting into TT territory.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

People are absolutely mental for the aero kit right now. I blame magnus walker.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

slidebite posted:

Immediately ran like absolute dogshit. Threw 10 new codes within seconds. Stench of raw fuel in the exhaust.

BUT, after a few more seconds starting running noticeably smoother... and progressively better.

Thought of this post and :lol: ed today. I cleaned the MAF sensor on my 3.6 Passat today, along with the throttle body. Did the exact same thing at startup. Just view that as a good sign. Your parameters were tweaked for the first start, it reset to factory, and it'll tune from there. In a couple drive cycles it'll be as good as it can be.

slidebite posted:

That's getting into TT territory.

*What was formerly TT territory.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-porsche-911-turbo-91/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

meatpimp posted:

Thought of this post and :lol: ed today. I cleaned the MAF sensor on my 3.6 Passat today, along with the throttle body. Did the exact same thing at startup. Just view that as a good sign. Your parameters were tweaked for the first start, it reset to factory, and it'll tune from there. In a couple drive cycles it'll be as good as it can be.
I've got a little over 100K on it, and the CEL isn't back, so yeah, thanks guys I think we're good :)

quote:

*What was formerly TT territory.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-porsche-911-turbo-91/
To be fair, that's an X50 which, in addition to low miles, is going to be about a 10-20% premium over comparable TT... but there is no question they are no longer at their lows.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 21, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

not my photo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

you scared me

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Detailing is done. I sprung for the ceramic coating and it's astonishing how much of a difference it makes. Got the seats treated too.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Looks good, it is amazing how well these cars hold up to time. My previous 99 986 looked half its age after a good polish, ceramic coat and some scratch repair. Glad you have the later 3 spoke wheel as the earlier 4 spoke one I found annoying to get my hands around when doing auto cross.

I am planning to get my S done but it needs a some scratch repairs and a good barring first. Seats are ok but the wheel needs to be redone as it has that shiny worn leather look to it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That is a really nice looking color :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I really like the tan interior too. My black on black is nice but I think the tan just looks a little nicer

Matched with guards red would probably be my favorite combo.

Need to give mine a proper polish as well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ceramic coatings are so nice, quick wipe down looks like you spent a day detailing. Did it on the E30 when I bought it and seven or eight years later it still looks amazing.

Agree that black with tan is a really nice combo. My black on black looks nice but it's hot as hell and I would have preferred a tan or whatever that rare-ish dark brown interior option was.

Doing a driving tour with the local club Saturday, need to give mine a quick wash and maybe polish/wax/coat the headlights if I have time.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Speaking of ceramic coatings, I'm thinking of getting a Fister (lol) exhaust for my 993.

https://fdmotorsports.net/shop/ols/products/fister-993-stage-ii-sport-exhaust-modification

Worth getting a ceramic coating on the muffler?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Link is not fully loading for me, but assuming the exhaust is stainless personally I'd have a hard time justifying it, but :shrug:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seems like a relatively minor adder, coating should help reduce how much heat the exhaust is rejecting to the surrounding parts and helps with any corrosion issues, although I doubt your 993 will be seeing salt spray anytime soon.

From the link it looks like just the mufflers? Usually the benefit is more noticeable on headers and in turbo applications where you want to keep things as hot and energetic as possible pre turbo. Aesthetic wise they're not really a visible thing so not much of an argument in favor there.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

When this comes up in your feed and you are reminded how cheap used cars in the UK are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5t-CMAA094

986 that passes UK inspection for about $3000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Finished up the PPI on my 996tt (i.e., the post-purchase inspection). It's perfect!

I need to stop doing this.