Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Boba Pearl posted:

I love thorsby, but I gotta ask, is my art that hard to look at?

no, your art is better

while your art might not yet be technically very good, it doesn't have the same off-putting quality that thorsby or moon over june has

i wish you well in your project, and hope that you will try push your boundaries and try different techniques, and continue improving your work

there are countless bad examples in other webcomics where the artists stopped improving after their first panel, and have continued grinding the same poo poo out for decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Boba Pearl posted:

I love thorsby, but I gotta ask, is my art that hard to look at?

If this is your comic, then yes.

Boba Pearl posted:

my favorite comic

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ziv Zulander posted:

:same:, except the weird stress dreams only happen when I don't drink until I pass out

Sorry to nerd at an otherwise good comic, but Target detains people. Best Buy is the one that doesn't do poo poo.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I hope everyone can understand this comic.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Boba Pearl posted:

If you want to give some critique I'm always down, I like to get info from a wide range of sources every time someone's pointed something out I've been able to improve.

First off some very specific advice that's probably not interesting to the thread at large:
Fix your gotdamn pen settings first and foremost. Right now every line you draw using primarily your elbow is 2-3x thicker than the rest of your lines, and you want your pen sensitivity to max out at a pressure level you can comfortably assert by pushing the pen down with your fingers. If drawing in a way that reaches the max pressure level on most lines requires enough pressure and tension that you can feel it in your wrist after a day of drawing, your sensitivity is too low imo.
You'd also probably be better served with a different brush. Looks like you're using the G Pen in Clip Studio? The G Pen is specifically an emulation of a common type of fountain pen that most manga artists use--there's nothing that says you can't use it but it's mostly good for delicate, precise lines inked over very thorough sketching. I think you'd be better served by something that creates good results when used more freely, namely a brush that gives you very consistent line widths, maybe with a tiny bit of texture to it.

More general advice other people might find interesting (I'll be mostly referring to this page when I refer to specifics: https://i.imgur.com/eyzOBUE.png):

You have a very specific but not uncommon art style, which is an art style you get from trying to learn how to draw comics without trying to learn how to create engaging artwork on its own. You've likely focused on fixing highly obvious problems you can find in your artwork and learning things that you know comic artists need to know (like basic anatomy and drawing rooms in perspective), but there's very little visual interest and the flow of action both in and between panels is a bit lifeless and lacking--ironically two things Thorsby is very successful at, though his approach to show action is to just have identical panels/perspectives where the action is in various states of happening lmao.

Visual interest wants contrast, good dynamic silhouettes, and a bit of elasticity to how you treat your characters. One thing it does not require is sensible anatomy :v:

You can see in a grayscale version of your comic that there's very little contrast, and you don't need the greyscale to see it but it's extra apparent that there's a ton of empty space in each panel not contributing to the compositions. Also generally it's a good idea to avoid pure greyscale backgrounds unless it's like an abstract background that's grey for a reason, just a couple points of saturation to concrete/stone adds a lot.

Anyway I think you could instantly improve your comic work by making stuff higher contrast, fixing your line-weighting so it's either consistently the same size or increases based on the importance of the line, and focusing less on drawing 'realistic' bodies. You don't have to draw cartoony characters but you do need to learn when to simplify an arm's shape for effect or add sharp a angle to a character's body. The overall goal should be to make something that reads very quickly on a glance, and has nice clean 'shapes' that are communicated clearly. Once you can consistently do those you have a comic that's easy and fun to read, and a comic that's easy and fun to read is a comic with a real opportunity to reach a wider audience since it no longer feels like a hurdle to get through the first couple comics and decide whether you like the storytelling.

Here's a stupid edit that adds contrast, more readable silhouettes, and purposefully simplifies the characters in to a couple easy shapes (I didn't draw over left guy)

It's cartoonier but imo gets the same tone across and works fine to tell the story you're telling. I did do it in like 15 minutes though so the protagonists knee is no longer pushing down on the guy cause I didn't think about the mechanics of wrenching someone's arm :v:

Animated comparison:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Oh that's actually really rad advice, thank you so much!

I've been doing value studies on my own because a bunch of people have pointed out the value issues in my work. The later stuff gets improved once I started to do a black and white version of every page first, and THEN went into coloring / shading. That's still a huge thing.

Yeah, I'm super hosed when it comes to actually stylizing or bending things, and I've been trying more and more to stop drawing things "the right way" and start drawing things "the interesting way" if that makes sense. Contrast was a huge game changer as well. I can see what you're saying about the silhouettes. I think I should take some time to play with more pens, or even use a sketchier pen and do colored lines, which I've seen a lot of but kind of scares me lol. I will play around with some pens actually. I'd love to post my stuff here, but it's already on the forums in it's own thread, and in the webcomic thread so people can read it there if they want too.

I'd like to think I've improved over the last few months, but my style is constantly shifting, but take a look at that first page. and the last page I did with that character.

Compared to this

To be honest, there's some of the old stuff I really liked, but I've been doing a week or two of art studies while studying for school.

If anyone has comments or criticisms, I promise I'm super receptive, I tend to take notes on everything people tell me and study them when I do my art studies (I call it this, but normally it's just drawing 20 butts or something lol).

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 14:39 on Jul 16, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zetsubou-san posted:

tree has flower but you don't grab it
Thank you

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Boba Pearl posted:

I think I should take some time to play with more pens, or even use a sketchier pen and do colored lines, which I've seen a lot of but kind of scares me lol. I will play around with some pens actually.

Most people who use colored line art do so by drawing black lines and then locking the layer's transparency to color over them. If you want I can PM you my weird rear end variety of CSP pens (when I wake up, cause I'm going to bed).

Boba Pearl posted:

I'd like to think I've improved over the last few months, but my style is constantly shifting, but take a look at that first page. and the last page I did with that character.

The bigger hands and contrasting backgrounds are both big improvements :v:

Unrelated to Boba Pearl, my favorite part of Raine Dog

my favorite yu-gi-oh fan comic

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

that dog has reginald energy

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hitmen for Destiny #20: Hungry Bear

=====================

Hitmen for Destiny #21: Garbage disposal, what a way to go

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone who advocates these Thoresby comics keeps going "you just have to keep reading them and eventually it gets good" which to a new reader like me sounds less like an endorsement and more like the sunk cost fallacy

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

some plague rats posted:

Everyone who advocates these Thoresby comics keeps going "you just have to keep reading them and eventually it gets good" which to a new reader like me sounds less like an endorsement and more like the sunk cost fallacy

They're also all long as hell and you can't even put the person posting them on ignore, cause they're some variety of forum cop. Its a genuinely kinda brilliant troll.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
woops. was quoting to see the twitter link didnt mean to press submit

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

some plague rats posted:

i think its an experiment gone awry that was supposed to demonstrate that, yes, aesthetics do matter but goons can't even tell faces apart so here we are

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Aesthetics matter, sure, but so does having something that's enjoyable in some capacity.

The story of you can call it that, starts in media res, and jumps around arbitrarily from event to event with no connecting tissue or build up.

There is no humor.

I could enjoy a badly drawn, but funny or interesting comic.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

some plague rats posted:

We've reached the point that they're good.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Different people like different things. Strange but true.

Can we declare a truce where thorsby-likers don't insist that you're guaranteed to like it if you read more, and thorsby-haters don't insist that anyone claiming to like it must be trolling? It's clear that plenty of people just aren't going to enjoy it, and clear thay plenty of people genuinely do, and arguing otherwise for another five pages won't improve anything or put any more of your favorite comics into this thread.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I will continue recommending Lies, Sisters, and Wives to the Thorsby skeptics. It’s only 34 pages long and should be sufficient to prove that the comics are worth enjoying on their own merits and not as some ironic troll.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I like Hitmen for Destiny.

Good art doesn’t necessarily mean good comics, Mob Psycho 100 by ONE is a great comic but the art is amateurish at best

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ditocoaf posted:

Can we declare a truce where thorsby-likers don't insist that you're guaranteed to like it if you read more, and thorsby-haters don't insist that anyone claiming to like it must be trolling? It's clear that plenty of people just aren't going to enjoy it, and clear thay plenty of people genuinely do, and arguing otherwise for another five pages won't improve anything or put any more of your favorite comics into this thread.

I mean I don't mind it being posted and don't hate people for liking it, but I'm definitely not sure what positive qualities it possesses to make it more worthwhile than the other stuff from the intentionally bad stuff posted after the start of the whomp war.

There's a difference between having different tastes and tastes being so different as to be beyond comprehension.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Snake Maze posted:

I will continue recommending Lies, Sisters, and Wives to the Thorsby skeptics. It’s only 34 pages long and should be sufficient to prove that the comics are worth enjoying on their own merits and not as some ironic troll.

I read this. It's a perfectly bog-standard bedroom farce with uninspired dialogue and the usual appalling art. There is absolutely nothing to recommend it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Can someone do a critique of my comic?

https://www.garfield.com/

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Push El Burrito posted:

I like the part where he gets shot for his role the spoils system

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

I’m only partway through the archives, but I can already tell this would be better with an arc featuring dog cum. Have you considered doing one of those?

EDIT: Ah, nvm. You know what you’re doing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

Cats can't talk, please fix this oversight.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ditocoaf posted:

:yeah:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Push El Burrito posted:

great, another Heathcliff knockoff :rolleyes:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Push El Burrito posted:

It's great, I love it.

The use of repetitive imagery is just masterful :kiss:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arrhythmia posted:

We've reached the point that they're good.

oof

Snake Maze posted:

I'm willing to meet the Thorsby likers halfway, so I read this. It was exactly as horrible to look at, exactly as poorly conveyed, exactly as unfunny. Not only did I not enjoy it, I actively think less of you for recommending it.

Ditocoaf is right though, I believe peace is possible with the faithful

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Hitman for Destiny: It's ugly, but has a GREAT personality!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

I don't remember this part of Homestuck.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

If you don't like Nedroid there's something wrong with you. If you don't like Achewood/HfD/depressing stick figure comic - it just isn't your cup of tea, and that's fine.

Namaste, fellow comic readers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
After hearing it recommended a bunch years ago I could not get into Hitmen for Destiny, but honestly, I'm digging it now as just a thing I read amidst other comics. If I tried to binge the archive I'm sure I'd quit before we got to where we are now, but seeing one or two a day while reading other comics on the same page it works for me.

I also like that it began en media res. I loving hate world building, get to the story and explain the world through your story.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm gonna read the HfD that gets posted here, but probably won't seek it out on my own. As comics go, I think it's pretty ok. It's not as great as the real good poo poo, but it's also not bad (except for the art, the art is bad).

That's my personal hot take.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

man... Gallagher just... gets me, you know?