Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ok what's the best Legacy Boardgame? Whatever it is I want it.

The Pandemic Legacy Series (start with Season 1, then 2, then 0) are the most popular ones by a country mile. I haven't played any others, but we liked 1 and 2, even though our group were not Pandemic players beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

having personally had the opportunity to participate in quite a few legacy campaigns, nothing has reached the same lofty heights for me that Risk: Legacy did (though Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 comes very close)

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
King's Dilemma is my favorite legacy game at the moment

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Opinions on good 2P legacy non-Pandemic games? Thinking about looking into something new to start with the wife

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Admiralty Flag posted:

Opinions on good 2P legacy non-Pandemic games? Thinking about looking into something new to start with the wife

Reiner Kniza's "My City" is supposed to be a nifty little legacy game but it's very light and calling it "legacy" might be giving it a bit too much credit (it's mostly slight rule mods after each game).

Otherwise it depends on your tolerance levels for "meh" games. Most of the non-Pandemic legacy stuff has been lackluster.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
Heard good things about Aeon’s End Legacy, if you’re into deck building.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I think Aeon’s Edge was oop last I checked?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

the most annoying thing about blood on the clocktower is trying to have its cake and eat it too with player elimination.
yeah I see this pov. I think I just will always love mafia and its derivatives and blood on the clocktower is just a brand new, to me, spin.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gloomhaven

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

: Jaws of the Lion

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DogCop posted:

: Jaws of the Lion

Might get that one since it's less expensive.

Sister Cassia
Jul 16, 2021

And the unrighteous were turned to ash! TO ASH! Yes they were!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Its Gloomhaven

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's worth asking if you want the capital L Legacy aspects with a changing game, stickers, rules, etc, or do you just want a long campaign style game?

There are still a limited number of legacy games and probably only ~5 worth playing, but there are a ton of campaign games.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The contenders are Kings Dilemma, Gloomhaven/JoTL, My City, Pandemic Legacy seasons 1 & 0 and Risk Legacy in not particular order.

The one you will like the most depends entirely on which underlying game play you like the most.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Is Oath not considered legacy enough?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Bottom Liner posted:

I think it's more that social deduction games are divided into two main categories: ones with hard deduction and information and mechanics to let players use skill to figure out, and those that generate whacky stories and lean more towards structured roleplay with often random elements to obfuscate the information. I get why people like the latter, but I want them to always be based on solid info and mechanics which is why Avalon is indeed still best (Scape Goat is pretty close though).

I’ve never heard of Scapegoat. Tell me more!

Also. I’ve now played Quest more. It’s quite good. The directors cut is the way to play. It’s still a bit too early but it seems like a worthy successor to Avalon, if different enough to keep playing both

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

There are also Betrayal Legacy, and the deliberately fully reversible expansions for Scythe and Centauri Saga.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jimbozig posted:

Is Oath not considered legacy enough?

It's not even a traditional campaign, much less Legacy. It just has setup that is impacted by the previous game along with the contents of the deck that change over time (but never in a permanent way).

Megasabin posted:

I’ve never heard of Scapegoat. Tell me more!

Bottom Liner posted:

Scape Goat is cool reverse social deduction. All players get a target and that target gets a decoy, but every one feels like they might have the decoy. So the odd one out doesn’t know they’re the odd one out, and the game naturally makes every person feel like the framed player. If anyone gets spooked or the scapegoat figures out its them, they can run to the cops and the scapegoat wins. If the rest of the players can communicate by exchanging clues and info they can frame the scapegoat first.

Played it 3-5p so far and it's great.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

gschmidl posted:

There are also Betrayal Legacy, and the deliberately fully reversible expansions for Scythe and Centauri Saga.

I don't think those games are really good contenders for the best legacy game ever because the underlying game play is poorly balanced, especially for Betrayal and Scythe.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I don't think those games are really good contenders for the best legacy game ever because the underlying game play is poorly balanced, especially for Betrayal and Scythe.

What's wrong with Scythe? I've only played it once at a friend's house and it seemed alright. I lost pretty bad because I didn't know anything.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Hype aesthetics and then it's just boring af. It's not terrible but there are so many better games to play.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Rutibex posted:

What's wrong with Scythe? I've only played it once at a friend's house and it seemed alright. I lost pretty bad because I didn't know anything.

Some of the Faction/Board combinations were so powerful they go officially banned. There's still a significant difference the best combinations and the worst.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I bounced off Clank!: acquisitions incorporated fairly hard, but I can still very clearly recognise it deserves to be listed among best legacy games.

Gloomhaven is the best game, sure, but the only legacy element worth a drat is opening new characters. None of the rest is exciting / couldn't just be done some other way.

With clank, it's kind of the reverse. They call it semi cooperative, and what they mean by that is you'll almost want to pretty much throw the game, in order to let other players complete story quests and stuff, because the legacy element is great and the plot is great, and you just want to see everything on offer.

I actually found the legacy elements of Charterstone MUCH more memorable than Gloomhaven. Again, Not saying it's a better game, just better legacy elements.

In fact I think GH is actually the worst, in terms of legacy, it only feels strong because new characters are 'so' exciting.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Rutibex posted:

In addition to everyone else’s comments, the creator is insufferably smug and superior.

See for reference his what I like somewhat about other designers games youtube series.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Aramoro posted:

Some of the Faction/Board combinations were so powerful they go officially banned. There's still a significant difference the best combinations and the worst.

I don’t get how that makes Scythe functionally a bad game, as opposed to one that has a creator who is apparently a bit of a twat on twitter. If you are new, you don’t see the imbalance, if you are not, you apply the necessary fixes. Random faction combinations with slightly different power levels mostly makes the game interesting when playing repeatedly with the same group; you don’t just find out who is best and never play again.

Probably 95% of games don’t get played often or seriously enough to make such issues evident, or their designers don’t care enough to fix them.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I'll add Mechs vs Minions to the legacy game pile. I wouldn't argue that it's the best, but I had a good time playing through it during the pandemic with my pandemic pod.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

armorer posted:

I'll add Mechs vs Minions to the legacy game pile. I wouldn't argue that it's the best, but I had a good time playing through it during the pandemic with my pandemic pod.

I'd say Mechs vs Minions is more of a campaign game than a legacy one - the only permanent change as you progress is choosing a special card to add to your character's abilities.

It's a drat solid game though. Simple action programming and just a bit of chaos that makes everything go sideways in hilarious ways at just the wrong moments.

It's a shame that it's not available via normal retail channels, and that the publisher does not seem to be interested in releasing expansions or new scenarios for it. The single issue I have with MvM is that there just aren't enough scenarios in the box, and only a few decent player-created ones available online.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Koskinator posted:

Heard good things about Aeon’s End Legacy, if you’re into deck building.

It's an enjoyable legacy campaign. A good chunk of the content post-campaign will then be compatible with other (non-legacy AE games)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

radmonger posted:

If you are new, you don’t see the imbalance,

Wrong lol

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Dude, you don't. (I'm a different person than you're replying to).

They played hundreds of test games before they found that on average one of the combinations won more that others. There was an faq shortly after release. Half a year later, with a ton of data, they banned another combo.

New players probably go "wow that combo is so broken" like 50% of the time about any game, and then they're going to occasionally be right. But they're not actually going to notice the tiny incremental advantage that overall makes the combo unfair, and you're smoking crack if you think they would.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I played 2 games before we found that crimea could, through careful warping, completely nullify combat as a mechanic, an effect that is apparently intended. My learning game, I did the Rusviet strategy of rushing factory and repeatedly doing it, which was something that was straight up banned in the games errata. You can absolutely see the flaws at the very start lmfao

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The banned faction/mat combos are just the ones that are almost autowins, that doesn't mean the rest of it is balanced. Scythe players have compiled numerous data sets from different sources and they all show the same faction imbalances that most people instinctively see 1-2 games in. Yeah, you'll occasionally see a newbie come in and go WOW NORDICS ARE SOOOO OP but most people immediately clock Rusviet/Crimea as having an advantage and the numbers consistently bear them out.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hot take: factions don't have to be perfectly balanced.

Case in point: CitOW and Root

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

armorer posted:

It really doesn't work with two players though. It's far too random with only two and some maps don't even really "work" with two.

Double fisting so each player plays two mechs might work but would take a lot of room, haven't tried that.

Really well produced game otherwise, though. The production polish is practically a mirror finish.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Some Numbers posted:

Hot take: factions don't have to be perfectly balanced.

Case in point: CitOW and Root

Yes but those are games designed around the player's ability to directly and aggressively check each other's power. Scythe is a eurogame with relatively few ways to do that, and certainly not designed around it.

e: also no one said things ever have to be perfectly balanced, that's a dumb exaggeration.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bad example when it’s had multiple errata to the factions to make them at least viable. It’s no fun to play a faction that has a near zero % chance of winning for 90-120 minutes.

Factions don’t have to be perfectly balanced, but they do have to be in the same ballpark for the game to function correctly as a competitive endeavor.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
People like asymmetry more than they like balance, but that doesn't mean that balance doesn't also matter.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

To be clear, I'm not saying balance doesn't matter at all.

Then again, I've only played Scythe once.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

radmonger posted:

I don’t get how that makes Scythe functionally a bad game, as opposed to one that has a creator who is apparently a bit of a twat on twitter. If you are new, you don’t see the imbalance, if you are not, you apply the necessary fixes. Random faction combinations with slightly different power levels mostly makes the game interesting when playing repeatedly with the same group; you don’t just find out who is best and never play again.

Probably 95% of games don’t get played often or seriously enough to make such issues evident, or their designers don’t care enough to fix them.

The game is terribly unbalanced which as a Eurogame makes it bad. In a 4 player game Togawa have a 14% WR whilst Rusivet have a 37% WR. The gulf between these rates. If you go into the game thinking it's going to be fair you're going to really struggle with Togawa and Albion whilst your Rusivet and Crimea players are going to have an easy time. And those skewed WR's don't change with skill level, it's always like that. For a 2 hour long game to know that even with your best play your chance of winning is really low is not a good game.

If you just like taking part then that cool, but there are loads of other you could take part in that you might also be able to win. Something like Terra Mystica is unbalanced out of the box, and not to a dissimilar degree but then you use the adjusted starting VP's to correct that and make it competitive again (That and every terrain type has a good and bad side so you can just play the good side). There's no such easy fix for Scythe because the balance issues are mechanical, and obviously so.

It makes it all the worse that when it came out Stonemier went on and on about how well playtested the game was and how good the balance was. Then everyone played it and instantly found the broken combinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I won Everdell two weeks ago at my gaming group's first game day since the pandemic started, and good lord, I love this game. I had gone in hoping to win Ruins of Arnak or the Artemis Project, but after playing all three, Everdell just grew on me, and it's become a fast favorite with my wife and my friends.

Yesterday, I found out the game actually has quite a few expansions, and I wanted to get feedback on them. I'm likely going to get Bellfaire just so the game can support our usual group of 5 - 6, but I'm not sure how much fun or complexity Spirecrest or Pearlbrook adds to the game.

How worth it are they? Most of the appeal has been in the art and the simplicity of the game, and I just worry the addition of ambassadors and mounts and other poo poo is just gonna destroy the simplicity of a bunch of fuckin' hedgehogs building a lovely village of just resin factories and teachers.