Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

homeless snail posted:

I think for a lot of people its just doing the math and going like, well okay I'm going to keep FF14 or whatever installed on this thing, so that's 1/4th of my drive gone already + however many tens of GB of OS overhead there is. Depending on what you're gonna play on the the thing that 256GB is gonna get stretched thin real quick

As someone who has FF14 installed on his Aya Neo its great to always keep it installed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
The idea of the Steam game boy isn't bad, but I'd want to actually hold one in my hands and try it out before even considering spending a dime. As others have pointed out, the layout seems weird and I have the sense that the screen is way too small for my tired eyes. PC games weren't designed for small screens. UI for ants, etc. Also, won't it get really hot?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's max 15w which should be alright, Switch could draw 11w at peak.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

It's max 15w which should be alright, Switch could draw 11w at peak.

15w for the APU, 20w total.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

pyrotek posted:

At least in the US, you won't be voiding your warranty by opening it up and adding/replacing the SSD. Whether or not it is easy to do or you will damage it trying is a different issue.

This is legally true, but the FTC is not being forthwith with the enforcement/fines when they catch any company not allowing repairs or replacement not done by the company itself. Even after the 2018 clarification and especially during 2020 when devices needing repair rates went through the roof.

There will be guides within a week of release detailing how to open it and what it looks like inside. Plus the dumb sticker removal game has vastly improved beyond exacto knifing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pyrotek posted:

15w for the APU, 20w total.

If its like the current AMD handhelds you'll be able to boost it to 25W total using software.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Play posted:

I was being glib but you can't tell me that many people, seeing three different variations of something with one being the 'best,' instantly just decide they want that one.

Hell no one's even seen the glass or whether there is a practical difference but that was probably a factor for many people as well. Not that I'm different, it's just a variation of FOMO where you don't want to regret getting the worse version so you just go all in.

Not saying it's not worth it or a rip off or anything. It's just proven psychology.

I only heard the NVME was soldered in, and I'm a storage whore so that's the only reason I preordered the 512. It was only $5 and I'll cancel whenever if it turns out to suck or can customize, esp since I'm not expecting anything for at least a year from now.

e: I only did this cause I've seen the rest of the bullshit with PS5/Graphics Cards.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Trickyblackjack posted:

The idea of the Steam game boy isn't bad, but I'd want to actually hold one in my hands and try it out before even considering spending a dime. As others have pointed out, the layout seems weird and I have the sense that the screen is way too small for my tired eyes. PC games weren't designed for small screens. UI for ants, etc. Also, won't it get really hot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8p_myiqGP4

This video talks a little bit about how this is handled by the device's form factor.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

If its like the current AMD handhelds you'll be able to boost it to 25W total using software.
Dropping the battery life down to like, an hour and a half?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Dropping the battery life down to like, an hour and a half?

Well yeah of course. The power is there if you needed it though.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's unbelievable how much Valve botched this.

What makes the Switch a hybrid system are four things:

- You can play it on the TV with ease.
- You can play it as a handheld with ease
- You can play with your friends on the go with ease
- You can mix and match between the above experiences while playing with ease and no extra accessories than the Switch itself

When purchased the Switch comes with everything you need to make it a hybrid system. It comes with the dock. It comes with detachable controllers so you and a friend can play multiplayer at any time. It comes with a controller mold that both joy cons can slide into to make a quality controller.

SteamDeck doesn't check these points the issues are that:

- It doesn't come with a dock it's sold separately.

- The controllers don't slide out so you can't share with others on the go or play at home on your TV without an extra controller

Valve completely missed the entire point of the Switch and essentially just made a Vita 2 but with third party support. Yes, it's possibly to make the SteamDeck like the Switch, but what makes the Switch the Switch is that it's braindead easy to do and everyone with a Switch (sans LITE owners) has the ability to do it.

The only thing Valve got right was the price.

punk rebel ecks posted:

If Valve plays their hands right they could have a tens of millions seller on their hands. I can imagine the SteamDeck being the PSP to the juggernaut Switch (DS).

Nintendo not releasing a Switch Pro has given Valve an opening with the non-enthusiast market.

lol that's quite the turnaround in 24 hours

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I hope the cooling on this thing is adequate to run it at its full stock power draw long-term without throttling. I'd be amazed if it didn't throttle if you boost the power draw.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How is Streets of Rage 4 and the DLC?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Bardeh posted:

Lol

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I got my order in at 10:04 and under my Cancel Reservation button I don't see any expected date. I've heard that means I'm a lucky December guy since everyone else is seeing Q1. Is that the case?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164676728659

For US goons there's eBay sellers selling large numbers of BG4 SSDs

$200 for 1TB, less than the $250 premium for the 512GB Deck SKU

This is all assuming it's reasonably easy to take the Deck apart and install a drive though

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

homeless snail posted:

I think for a lot of people its just doing the math and going like, well okay I'm going to keep FF14 or whatever installed on this thing, so that's 1/4th of my drive gone already + however many tens of GB of OS overhead there is. Depending on what you're gonna play on the the thing that 256GB is gonna get stretched thin real quick

For reference I purchased a 240GB drive and only have 80GB left after FFXIV, FFXI, and PSO2:NG. And that's without Windows. If I had Windows on the drive I could maybe fit one more single player game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Bardeh posted:

Watching the video of Gabe and co. explaining it had me turn over a new leaf. I still think it's insanely dumb that it doesn't come with a dock though.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'm definitely waiting for reviews before buying but I think I'm leaning towards getting one of these things next year. It sounds great for travel.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Nalin posted:

Same. According to my e-mail, which arrived at 10:04am, I placed the order at 10:00am. The div with the expected date text is empty, so I guess this means we are wave 1?

I'm suspecting that might be the case. My issue date says 10:00 am for the 512 deck and my text div is also empty for that.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I ordered at 10:08 and mine had no estimated time either.

Then I realized I ordered with the wrong credit card and canceled + re-ordered by 10:15am and it showed Q1 2022.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I was thinking to myself that I'd really want to hold one of these in my hands and see how I actually like the layout. Where could that possibly happen? They need to do showrooms or something. Partner with a store maybe.
I mean obviously "just have friends" but that's the answer to everything.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Print a photo of the Deck on a sheet of paper to scale, cut it out and hold it in your hands.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wonder if they will offer any sort of OS level customization that will allow people to play games with no native controller support, or if that would need to be handled by mods/steamdeck users being SOL until they dock it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Steam Input and crazy Steam Controller fans have that sorted out already.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Portable FFXIV is old hat. I’ve been doing that for years with my Vita and now my phone thanks to PlayStation Remote Play.

Now portable EverQuest? That I’m interested in. :hellyeah:

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I ordered the 256gb version around 1:10pm PST (so 3 hours after pre orders went up) and got Q1 2022 confirmation on the steam store front. I'm surprised

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Wonder if they will offer any sort of OS level customization that will allow people to play games with no native controller support, or if that would need to be handled by mods/steamdeck users being SOL until they dock it.
Steam Input solved this problem like, 6 years ago (i have my audio muted so sorry if this video is cringe, i wouldnt know)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNQzmeuZkms

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Steam has let you customise controls to an insanely granular degree for years now. That's also why the touchpads are there; at their most basic they function as mouse trackpads, but you can also assign them to screen regions for quick selecting hotbar buttons, or even create custom action menus with them. There's a world of incredible controller setups out there that a lot of people appear to have completely ignored the existence of, so I'm hoping that the Steam Deck opens that up to a lot more people.

E: that video is a pretty good example, even if competitive StarCraft is a bit more than the Steam controller can realistically handle.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 17, 2021

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Scalding Coffee posted:

How is Streets of Rage 4 and the DLC?

Amazing. Phenomenal. Buy if you ever played one of the classics and thought "why aren't they doing more of these".

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
In for the 512 GB version. Waiting for my PS5 taught me some patience (preordered Nov 2, delivered this week :v:) so I'm not too bothered by the estimates.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

yep, it's good

I've played on my tv for ages with a range of controllers, my ipad, an old lovely Android tablet, even my phone

Steams input support is quite good, even for games that don't natively support controllers or <your input thing>

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat

Nuts and Gum posted:

I forgot what this is called but yeah this is a very standard psychological response to being offered three choices. The middle choice only exists to make the most expensive option seem reasonable.

Are you thinking of the Decoy Effect?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I know there's a 100% chance that the steam deck is going to be made in china. But part of me hopes valve would find a way to assemble it in the US, like they did with the steam controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCgnWqoP4MM

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Got in line but mine says q2 2022, so probably a year from now :(

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dramicus posted:

I know there's a 100% chance that the steam deck is going to be made in china. But part of me hopes valve would find a way to assemble it in the US, like they did with the steam controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCgnWqoP4MM

That whole setup looks expensive as gently caress, they must have lost a ton of money on the Steam controllers. I picked one up for £5 when they were clearing out all their old stock (and never used it)

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Got in line but mine says q2 2022, so probably a year from now :(

Seeya in a year buddy! Hope we get lucky

but yeah Steam's custom controller profiles are crazy. Especially all the user made ones. If this kicks off there will be a ton, for better or for worse

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Lightbulb Grease posted:

Are you thinking of the Decoy Effect?

Ah yeah, that must be what I was thinking about. I had heard someone talk about it on a podcast, then the next day I was looking at AC install packages from a local vendor and the sales guy whipped out three options and it all became clear to me.

The best part is knowing about these tactics doesn’t stop it from working on you!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/RobotBrush/status/1416184430562058243
That's confirmation, Plagman is Pierre Loup at Valve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Is Gabe pulling an Elon?