Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

longtimelurker posted:

Yeah I have died 3 for 3 in an unforgiving wasteland of ice, fire, and radiation. Do I need to keep restarting until I get a non deadly starting world? I don't really want to play on build mode but being killed by a timer more than a couple times just isn't very fun.

you always start on a hazard world iirc

i'd recommend playing on normal until you understand the systems a bit better then you can always start up a survival save if you want more of a challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

you always start on a hazard world iirc

i'd recommend playing on normal until you understand the systems a bit better then you can always start up a survival save if you want more of a challenge

Yeah normal has the survival stuff, just not quite as bullshit and punishing. It's not like fallout where survival mode adds survival mechanics normal mode doesn't have.

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006

Powered by alcohol

I am slowly getting the hang of it. Sucks that survival mode isn't fun though. It really added something to Fallout that wasn't difficult, but made it feel a little more organic.

I like the space travel more in this game than Elite but the way the ship actually handles seems more janky.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I cannot believe they haven't improved the third person ship UI

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

I cannot believe they haven't improved the third person ship UI

player ships seem like the lowest priority of the game, in terms of poo poo they change/fix (aside from a recent patch where they added a ship from a different video game for some crossmarketing bullshit reason)

even just changing between first/third person view is a bit more annoying than it ought to be

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

longtimelurker posted:

Yeah I have died 3 for 3 in an unforgiving wasteland of ice, fire, and radiation. Do I need to keep restarting until I get a non deadly starting world? I don't really want to play on build mode but being killed by a timer more than a couple times just isn't very fun.

Normal is fine to start, as a brand-new-player you'll still be doing a bit of scrambling for sodium but it'll be a "hazardous enough to give you a time limit you're aware of but not hazardous enough to kill you for standing still for 60 seconds after you start the game". The game actually intentionally tones whatever starting planet you roll down a bit for you alone; someone who comes to visit you might see storm crystal levels of severe weather nonstop while you're getting gentle one-arrow-on-your-hazard-system weather.

Survival/permadeath is "if you really want a save file where you go in knowing about every mechanic ahead of time because your first hour of gameplay is going to require you immediately have knowledge of exactly what you're doing, where you need to go to find things, and what things are safe to discard from your extremely limited inventory, and you're still literally going to just die if you can't find a cave less than a minute or two from your spawn point".

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Oh and if you die your inventory is gone. In a game where inventory space is limited as is.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I just bought this game last week and it's sucked up all my free time. Is that normal?

I will have to check out the Discord.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Otacon posted:

I just bought this game last week and it's sucked up all my free time. Is that normal?

I will have to check out the Discord.

Yep...completely normal. Also check out the NMS coordinate exchange on discord and reddit when you get further along in the game

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Just bought the game on Steam, what have i let myself in for?

Have played Avorion & Space Engineers but this looks more towards... Fallout? (never played it).

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Just Another Lurker posted:

Have played Avorion & Space Engineers but this looks more towards... Fallout? (never played it).

You are in for a chill exploration game with minimal combat. Also inventory managment.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ZombieCrew posted:

You are in for a chill exploration game with minimal combat. Also inventory managment.

Should have bought it sooner then. :cheersbird:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I bought the game on release on PS4 then bought it again on PC

I never do this.

This game owns and I've never "finished" it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

its nothing like fallout. the most similar game i can think of is Astroneer. but its fairly different from that as well

if you enjoy grinding play in normal mode or maybe survival, you'll spend a lot of time collecting and scavanging and organizing and farming

if you hate grinding play in creative mode, and you can explore and build to your hearts content without worrying about micromanagement. definitely the most chill way to play, you can just zoom from planet to planet forever, and there are billions of them

technically there is combat in the game but its not at all the focus and it kind of sucks, but that doesnt matter because its fairly easily avoided

also a lot of good ambient music in the game, an aspect of it that is very underrated imo

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 18, 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Earwicker posted:

its nothing like fallout. the most similar game i can think of is Astroneer. but its fairly different from that as well

if you enjoy grinding play in normal mode or maybe survival, you'll spend a lot of time collecting and scavanging and organizing and farming

if you hate grinding play in creative mode, and you can explore and build to your hearts content without worrying about micromanagement. definitely the most chill way to play, you can just zoom from planet to planet forever, and there are billions of them

technically there is combat in the game but its not at all the focus and it kind of sucks, but that doesnt matter because its fairly easily avoided

also a lot of good ambient music in the game, an aspect of it that is very underrated imo

No worries, i'm enjoying it already.

The control system looks to be quite console focused & i'm an old fart :corsair: but i mapped it all to my g-13 so my sanity was maintained. :)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I find it way easier to play on KB+M

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I'll fight tooth and nail to play fps on console, but their kb+m flight controls ain't great. It's serviceable with a little tweaking but it still feels like I'm just giving the ship a suggestion and hoping it agrees.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
It switches seamlessly so I play KB+M when I'm on the ground and fly with my xbox controller

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Is there anything else to do with the derelict freighter you cant board that you randomly find? There are the two cargo pods for some chromatic metal, but am i missing something?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ZombieCrew posted:

Is there anything else to do with the derelict freighter you cant board that you randomly find? There are the two cargo pods for some chromatic metal, but am i missing something?

I think that's basically it. Cargo pods and nothing else

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Angry_Ed posted:

I think that's basically it. Cargo pods and nothing else

Ok. Thank you! I wont waste anymore time searching. Bad habit i picked up from the Fallout games

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So I've gotten into playing this, and I'm still starting out, just finishing the 'artemis' questline, I think.

I keep running into a pretty frustrating bug - I can't get the Plasma launcher or Geology Cannon to fire 75% of the time. If I quit and restart the game, it'll work for a while, then never again. Forcefield works, combat scope works, just the launchers don't. This is on PC, btw. Is there perhaps a mod or something to fix this? Or a patch I missed? It gets real frustrating when I take on Sentinel Walkers and can't grenade them.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Are you out of ammo? Did you reload? I think quitting out reloads the weapon for you, which would explain the behavior.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've had the same problem in the past and it seems to be the game just forgetting you have a secondary - it was always 'fixed' by reselecting the launcher in the tools menu.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So I reinstalled this on a whim after having not played since release and wow, they really just completely overhauled the game. I've already lost something like 15 hours to it and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

Quick question: where do you get the Freighter fragments or whatever it is you need to unlock tech for your capital ship? I've picked up a couple ships for the fleet and have been sending them out on missions, but they only bring back money and trade items. Also is there ever a better source of nanintes then the daily requests from the two guys in the multiplayer nexus and running faction missions?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Sydin posted:

Quick question: where do you get the Freighter fragments or whatever it is you need to unlock tech for your capital ship? I've picked up a couple ships for the fleet and have been sending them out on missions, but they only bring back money and trade items. Also is there ever a better source of nanintes then the daily requests from the two guys in the multiplayer nexus and running faction missions?

They upped the frequency of these as rewards for various quests/freighter expeditions a while back but if you want to farm them the best place to find them is in the cargo pods of the capital ship fleets which warp into systems at semi-regular intervals.

A word of warning on that though - you can attack the capital ships (frieghters) and all you'll get is some sentinel wanted level, but if you attack any of the ancilliary frigates/cargo pods floating with it then you'll start to lose standing with the dominant faction in that system. Generally you can get quite a few salvaged frigate modules per capital ship though, and if you're just grinding that out you'll have loads inside an hour. If you have a couple shield upgrades on your starship you can tank the defences and sentinel starships for ages too.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

AirRaid posted:

They upped the frequency of these as rewards for various quests/freighter expeditions a while back but if you want to farm them the best place to find them is in the cargo pods of the capital ship fleets which warp into systems at semi-regular intervals.

A word of warning on that though - you can attack the capital ships (frieghters) and all you'll get is some sentinel wanted level, but if you attack any of the ancilliary frigates/cargo pods floating with it then you'll start to lose standing with the dominant faction in that system. Generally you can get quite a few salvaged frigate modules per capital ship though, and if you're just grinding that out you'll have loads inside an hour. If you have a couple shield upgrades on your starship you can tank the defences and sentinel starships for ages too.

Ive been tryin to farm freighter modules as well and have only really looked at the capital ships you can land on. Is that correct? I guess ive been unlucky. Only found a couple in modules after 5 or 6 capital ships

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 30, 2021

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Has a new expedition not come yet? Weird to put several month break there

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

AirRaid posted:

Blown up a couple capital ships now and only gotten a single component. :argh:

I really wish hostiles didn't arbitrarily disengage your pulse drive.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sydin posted:

I really wish hostiles didn't arbitrarily disengage your pulse drive.

for the system cops, at least, if you start driving in a straight line as soon as the "they're warping into the system" shows up, you'll be far enough away in the 10 seconds it takes them to spawn for real that I've never not had them just immediately despawn anyways

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
New update called Frontiers has been announced along with a teaser/anniversary trailer

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1424717796206911490

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dwesa posted:

New update called Frontiers has been announced along with a teaser/anniversary trailer

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1424717796206911490

These fuckers are going to continue updating this game forever like Minecraft. Frontiers sounds vague enough to be anything but I’d like for them to expand on the Expeditions community based approach and enable/improve upon multiplayer base building and resource collection.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Only got the game a few weeks ago and i'm lost for words sometimes about how enjoyable a game this is. :cheersbird:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Frontiers is a bold name for an expansion for a space game, I can't wait to see what it is

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Still hoping for planets with multiple types of biomes.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

*sees the icon for a construction crane*

Oh poo poo, I'm going to lose another 200 hours aren't I?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mailer posted:

*sees the icon for a construction crane*

Oh poo poo, I'm going to lose another 200 hours aren't I?

That icon is next to Foundations (which was the update that introed base building). Frontiers is next to two eyes. Which could mean nothing except for "look forward to it"

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I remember being really worried around NEXT(?) when they took all the color out if I was ever going to love the game like I thought I would before it came out. We've come so far since then, the color came back and everything is astounding compared to before.

Frontiers? Like usual that is exceptionally vague and I am here for it :allears:

https://kotaku.com/no-mans-sky-celebrates-fifth-anniversary-with-17th-1847448978

quote:

“In some ways, [Frontiers] is just another update,” Murray said, “but in other ways, it’s a missing piece of the sci-fi fantasy that we’ve always wanted to add, and very fitting for our fifth anniversary.”

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 9, 2021

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Uploading a base makes it accessible to others via teleporter, right? Because I think i uploaded one at the closest planet to a galaxy center called “gateway station” or something like that, if anyone wants to go there. I’ll check it when I get home. I think I’ve also got a farm base with a bunch of stuff needed for some serious $$-making opportunities that you can run through while holding E to have everything you need to make stuff that sells well.

e: gateway is a legit station. Built stairs up to the base, built the base, deleted the stairs, and it stayed airborne. Not sure if that is still there or not, don’t fall to your doom! :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I love those "fans" reacting to underwater bases because they're still a piece of poo poo so it must have been such a let down initially hahaha.