Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DarkCrawler posted:

How is vaccination "personal" Jesus loving Christ

It's not and it's certainly not equivalent to asking about someone's preferences in the bedroom but like Menaker said in the tweet he's gotta dodge for his audience. Though I'm not sure why he doesn't just lie since he does it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."
I'm happy my mother wanted to get the vaccine and was able to get it before Fox went all Just Asking Questions bordering on anti-vax. I've already met people at work who are afraid of getting it because of the same worries these jackasses are shouting. Not to be all bluecheckmark but they're really causing genuine damage and it's so distressing that the people who are deep enough in the echo chamber and won't get the vaccine now probably won't listen to actual reason.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Right wingers are pretending to misunderstand what HIPAA is basically.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

DarkCrawler posted:

How is vaccination "personal" Jesus loving Christ

Because he's been and still trying to feed the bullshit that vaccines are some secret nanochip thing or some such bullshit. So the questions about him getting it are "really personal" because he doesn't want his watchers to know he got it.

It's just typical Fox News bullshit where simple questions that will result in burning answers are "private" and every Republican that screws up gets a "D" next to their name

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Last night, I ate out with my wife and a group at another table were talking about how they microchip you and if you scan an unvaxxed arm, the scanner shows nothing but if you scan a vaxxed arm, it picks up information.

All people in their late 20s or early
30s.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Last night, I ate out with my wife and a group at another table were talking about how they microchip you and if you scan an unvaxxed arm, the scanner shows nothing but if you scan a vaxxed arm, it picks up information.

30s.
Who were probably on their phones which are tracking them 24/7 without having to really hide it

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FlamingLiberal posted:

Who were probably on their phones which are tracking them 24/7 without having to really hide it

Well yeah, they got the 5G injected into their bloodstream

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Meanwhile... Verizon just sold that guy's celphone tower tracking data to a bounty hunter despite having said they wouldn't do this anymore

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

30s.

I mean we constantly hear people acting like once the Boomers die off the current line of fascism will end, as though 4chan wasn't a thing.

It wasn't Boomers who got upset that sometimes video games have black people. It wasn't Boomers that got upset that Lola Bunny's got smaller boobs now.

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I mean we constantly hear people acting like once the Boomers die off the current line of fascism will end, as though 4chan wasn't a thing.

It wasn't Boomers who got upset that sometimes video games have black people. It wasn't Boomers that got upset that Lola Bunny's got smaller boobs now.

Yeah, as much as I'm awaiting the Boomer dieoff in the next 10-20 years for several reasons, I'm not super hopeful that the next loudest voices in the Republican party after Trump won't be worse. Sure, Tucker is Infowars-adjacent most of the time and has a sizeable portion of America's brains pulled, but the next generation that's coming up has been watching Nick Fuentes, Crowder, and the many modern right-wing philosophers that make bank by filming themselves ranting in their car. There's already a huge push by RWM (mostly Q) influencers to get their followers into local politics, so hopefully they'll crash and burn before they can make any meaningful impact and don't accidentally their way into higher gov't positions like Boebert and MTG. Only time will tell, I guess.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Every group has a minority of radicalized right-wing assholes, even in the specific minority communities the bulk of the right hates most, there's just fewer of them. At this point it's fair to say that if chickens could vote, Colonel Sanders would pull a solid 10%.

Young conservatives might be even more radicalized and fascistic than old conservatives, but there are way fewer of them. On top of it, the same radicalization and insular right-wing meme culture leaves them less able to appear reasonable to people outside of their own circles.

Really it's weirdly unprecedented how much political polarization there is now by age and sex. Race, class, and region are the historic norms, but age and sex are weird new developments and who knows where that goes.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Next up, Tuck claims The Supreme Court is comparable to anti rhodesian protests

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Killer robot posted:

Every group has a minority of radicalized right-wing assholes, even in the specific minority communities the bulk of the right hates most, there's just fewer of them. At this point it's fair to say that if chickens could vote, Colonel Sanders would pull a solid 10%.

ah so Foghorn Leghorn is a regressive.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

30s.

ah, I remember when a blithering idiot acquaintance of mine said the same thing about Obamacare.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

PhazonLink posted:

ah so Foghorn Leghorn is a regressive.

Nah he's all about the cornbread communism

Also, there may be plenty of young fascists, but how many young ultraconservative billionaires willing to fund the astroturfing are there?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Also, there may be plenty of young fascists, but how many young ultraconservative billionaires willing to fund the astroturfing are there?

One or two.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Why do you need a billionaire to fund the astroturfing? You have 4chan and Youtube as perfect radicalization pathways.
And Hollywood making increasingly terrible and performatively woke films and then blaming their failures on audiences being not sufficiently woke isn't going to help this. It makes radicalization all the easier since Hollywood is providing the script and it's a script the chuds are happy to capitalize on. Some kid wants to read up on why the new Star Wars movies were so terrible and instead of finding something that actually addresses the structural and narrative flaws with the films, finds a 12 hour diatribe on how the issue is that a nefarious Jew had the temerity to cast both a black man and a woman as leads in the films.

Like the mechanisms are already in place. Do you like movies and/or video games? If you do, and if you try to consume any sort of information about these interests online, then you are going to have to go out of your way, sometimes quite hard, to find information about them that isn't Conservative at best and outright fascist at worst.

Like I don't know a better way to articulate it, but you don't need a billionaire to astroturf poo poo anymore because the pathways to radicalization are all self-perpetuating at this point. Until someone does something about places like 4chan and Youtube, as long as people have an interest in, you know, *media* they are going to be being actively courted by Nazis who want to radicalize them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Most of the billionaires have kids and I do not have high hopes for the kids

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

You don't need billionaires to astroturf poo poo because ~the algorithm~ on places like Youtube and Facebook are doing a stellar job of ensuring people will eventually get exposed to right wing propaganda without a human being needing to actively participate.

e: To add more content than just repeating what that guy two posts above me said, it does seem like tech billionaires don't even really need to donate to right wing politicians and groups because they can essentially just give them free advertising. I mentioned a while back how I was watching a video on Youtube about Mario Maker or something and Youtube gave me a 52 minute "ad" that was just some right wing rear end in a top hat's online show. Throwing up this kind of content as an ad between/during videos is a lot more efficient than having a billionaire pay a bunch of talk show hosts/websites/TV studios to say "Run this guy's content."

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 17, 2021

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yet another example of Fox News posting an article that's just quoting some right wing yahoo's statement or opinion about something that shows up in a news aggregator.

Things a head of state or a governor or Senator says are usually newsworthy, and occasionally the utterance of some low level twit is so outrageous as to merit news coverage, but Fox does this poo poo routinely, making an article out of some yahoo's opinion.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Fox used to have the early morning crew say something that they wanted to repeat the rest of the day as an alert or headline.
Fox & Friends would have Doocy or the other muppets say something 'You know I wouldn't be surprised if Obama kills kids for Allah and Satan on the oval office table!'
Then the next show would be 'People are saying that Obama kills kids for Satan and Allah, more after the break!'
And repeat for the news cycle.
Now the grift cycle does it for free for them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zwabu posted:

Yet another example of Fox News posting an article that's just quoting some right wing yahoo's statement or opinion about something that shows up in a news aggregator.

Things a head of state or a governor or Senator says are usually newsworthy, and occasionally the utterance of some low level twit is so outrageous as to merit news coverage, but Fox does this poo poo routinely, making an article out of some yahoo's opinion.

I mean, I don't want to read Fox's take on it, but a state rep's idiot comments are kind of important to those of us who you know, live in the state.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Twelve by Pies posted:

You don't need billionaires to astroturf poo poo because ~the algorithm~ on places like Youtube and Facebook are doing a stellar job of ensuring people will eventually get exposed to right wing propaganda without a human being needing to actively participate.

e: To add more content than just repeating what that guy two posts above me said, it does seem like tech billionaires don't even really need to donate to right wing politicians and groups because they can essentially just give them free advertising. I mentioned a while back how I was watching a video on Youtube about Mario Maker or something and Youtube gave me a 52 minute "ad" that was just some right wing rear end in a top hat's online show. Throwing up this kind of content as an ad between/during videos is a lot more efficient than having a billionaire pay a bunch of talk show hosts/websites/TV studios to say "Run this guy's content."

I don't really ever get right wing type videos on youtube. I made the mistake of clicking on a Whale wars one because I was amazed those morons were still at it and now my feed is flooded with that poo poo though

Zwabu posted:

That's because moron opinions are the only thing that back their moron stances. You're not going to get some credited and acclaimed expert defending the stance that Trump was the best president ever or that global warming is a farce.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 18, 2021

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean, I don't want to read Fox's take on it, but a state rep's idiot comments are kind of important to those of us who you know, live in the state.

If you live in Texas you're already hosed.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

SocketWrench posted:

I don't really ever get right wing type videos on youtube. I made the mistake of clicking on a Whale wars one because I was amazed those morons were still at it and now my feed is flooded with that poo poo though

That's because moron opinions are the only thing that back their moron stances. You're not going to get some credited and acclaimed expert defending the stance that Trump was the best president ever or that global warming is a farce.

they sometimes have experts come on with expert opinions( experts that are either in fields or disciplines that barely intersect with the topic and/or have retired from their profession for so long that there's been multiple half life of knowledge decay)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Zeroisanumber posted:

If you live in Texas America you're already hosed.

It's pretty hosed up how the c19 outbreak rates overlay perfectly with the 2020 electoral map and I was genuinely surprised to hear some media outlets actually pointing this out instead of pretending to head scratch about why so many rural white southern red state areas have such low vaccination rates and spikes in cases.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

It's pretty hosed up how the c19 outbreak rates overlay perfectly with the 2020 electoral map and I was genuinely surprised to hear some media outlets actually pointing this out instead of pretending to head scratch about why so many rural white southern red state areas have such low vaccination rates and spikes in cases.

Well you see that just shows that it is a hoax. Otherwise blue states would get it too. It’s not protective measures like masks, sequestering or vaccinations because none of those things work and are also the hoax.

The only thing left is that the government is deliberately infecting red staters with COVID-19. Probably through the fake snow from earlier in the spring.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
remember how Donnie's son Jared literally said how they stole PPE supplies because they thought it would gently caress over blue states.

Also its fake, chinese fake. Also its real and will magically stop at the border.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I remember Kushner convinced Trump that Covid would gently caress blue states harder than red states and it ended up ripping through under-served rural communities.

Watching his people performatively flout Covid prevention in order to enjoy triggering the libs only for it to Thanos snap 600000+ Americans was actually sort of awe inspiring.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's not and it's certainly not equivalent to asking about someone's preferences in the bedroom but like Menaker said in the tweet he's gotta dodge for his audience. Though I'm not sure why he doesn't just lie since he does it all the time.
Because part of his stupid act is that he has to constantly leave himself an "I never said that!" route for when he's pressured on anything, except it's less because he needs to be an ideological chameleon as it is that his audience thinks he's clever for not answering Duh Liberal Media's questions.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1416567557646028801?s=20

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

SetSliRol posted:

Yeah, as much as I'm awaiting the Boomer dieoff in the next 10-20 years for several reasons, I'm not super hopeful that the next loudest voices in the Republican party after Trump won't be worse. Sure, Tucker is Infowars-adjacent most of the time and has a sizeable portion of America's brains pulled, but the next generation that's coming up has been watching Nick Fuentes, Crowder, and the many modern right-wing philosophers that make bank by filming themselves ranting in their car. There's already a huge push by RWM (mostly Q) influencers to get their followers into local politics, so hopefully they'll crash and burn before they can make any meaningful impact and don't accidentally their way into higher gov't positions like Boebert and MTG. Only time will tell, I guess.

Trumps Failchildren arent going away anytime soon

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Murgos posted:

The only thing left is that the government is deliberately infecting red staters with COVID-19. Probably through the fake snow from earlier in the spring.

No see it's through all the immigrants coming into our country from the southern border, Biden is putting them on airplanes and flying them into rural communities to purposely infect Trump supporters with covid and kill them all! But don't get the vaccine because covid is actually totally harmless. *

* literally what Ben Garrison said

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Twelve by Pies posted:

While this is true there still are plenty of rich nazi fucks who are willing to fund other nazi fucks. People like William Regenery II who, thankfully, is loving dead now.

Huffpo posted:

William H. Regnery II, a racist, reclusive multimillionaire who used his inherited fortune to finance vile white supremacist groups in the hopes of one day forming an American whites-only ethnostate, died earlier this month, his family and associates confirmed. He was 80 years old.

Regnery, whose family amassed riches from its right-wing publishing empire, died on July 2 in Florida after a “long battle with cancer,” his cousin Alfred, the former head of Regnery Publishing, confirmed to HuffPost.

Asked if he’d like to comment on his cousin’s life and legacy, Alfred Regnery replied: “No, it’s all been said before.”

In the final two decades of his life, William Regnery funneled hundreds of thousands of dollars — and likely much more — to extremist groups. He is often credited with being one of the main funders of the so-called alt-right, the resurgent fascist movement that gained momentum during the rise of former President Donald Trump.

“William Regnery’s sordid influence was felt from the deadly Charlottesville Unite the Right rally to the Jan. 6 storming of the Capitol,” said Tarso Luís Ramos, executive director of Political Research Associates, a social justice think tank that monitors the far right.

“His patronage of white nationalists over more than two decades helped popularize a genocidal vision for a white ethnostate on North American soil and sinking fear of racial replacement in the hearts of a growing portion of the white American population,” Ramos added. “This vision will not prevail, but it won’t either be easily extinguished.”

HuffPost first learned of Regnery’s death on Twitter, where some of the many avowed white nationalists permitted on that platform mourned their benefactor’s passing.

“Bill Regnery was a good man, who cared about the future, and, as they say, ‘did something’ about it,” tweeted Richard Spencer, the racist who led the National Policy Institute, a white nationalist organization Regnery founded.

“I’ll light a cigar for Bill tonight,” added Spencer. “Rest in power, friend.”

Kevin MacDonald — perhaps America’s foremost anti-Semite, who authored a series of books claiming that Jews are genetically hard-wired to destroy Western civilization — also tweeted that he hoped Regnery would “rest in peace.”

MacDonald and Spencer are both members of the Charles Martel Society, a secretive organization of prominent American fascists founded and funded with nearly $90,000 donated from family charities and other tax exempt organizations affiliated with Regnery. (Nonprofits are not legally required to identify individual donors, so it’s possible Regnery personally donated much more.) The society publishes The Occidental Quarterly, a journal for which MacDonald serves as editor.

His grandfather and namesake, textile magnate William H. Regnery I, was a founding member of the infamous America First Committee. The organization, led by anti-Semitic aviator Charles Lindbergh, opposed America’s intervention in World War II and counted many Nazi sympathizers among its ranks.

In 1947, Bill Regnery’s uncle, Henry, founded Regnery Publishing, which would grow into one of the most influential right-wing media dynasties in America. In its early years, the company published prominent conservative thinkers, including William F. Buckley, a racist and segregationist, and Robert Welch, founder of the John Birch Society, the anti-communist conspiracist group.

More recently it has published anti-Muslim bigots Robert Spencer and David Horowitz, and anti-immigrant crusaders Ann Coulter and Michelle Malkin, as well as books from Republican senators and other politicians ― including Donald Trump’s 2015 “Time to Get Tough.”

Bill Regnery started showing an interest in politics while a student in the early 1960s at the University of Pennsylvania, where he launched a conservative student magazine. He never graduated from Penn, however, telling BuzzFeed News in an extensive 2017 interview that he was “still a couple credits short of a degree.”

He said he left to work for the 1964 presidential campaign of Republican Barry Goldwater, the far-right senator from Arizona. As BuzzFeed News described, Regnery claimed to have hatched a bizarre scheme to suppress Democratic votes on Election Day that year:

His most memorable effort, he claimed, was a convoluted scheme called Operation Dewdrop, intended to suppress Democratic voters in Philadelphia. At the time, he explained, the theory was that Democrats voted less in the rain. So on election day, he said, he tried to seed rain clouds by using dry ice and a twin-engine airplane. It didn’t rain, he recalled, but he burned his fingers from the dry ice canisters, a detail that helps add a ring of authenticity. Goldwater lost to Lyndon Johnson in a landslide.

Such bizarre failures and embarrassments seem to have marked Regnery’s life. According to Alfred and another cousin, Frederick Meyers, he nearly ruined the family’s textile business, and the family forced him to resign as president in 1981, court records show.

And it just goes on like this. Basically another rich loving failson nazi of a nazi family who helped fund more nazis and did irreparable harm to the country while barely even being known about. So the idea that Trump's failchilden can still cause problems is actually very valid.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 18, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BiggerBoat posted:

My city is almost evenly split between white, black, and latino and I give you one guess as to which group was overwhelmingly underrepresented when I got vaccinated.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If COVID exclusively killed idiots we’d be set. Unfortunately that’s not how it works.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Casimir Radon posted:

If COVID exclusively killed idiots we’d be set. Unfortunately that’s not how it works.

That made sense in March 2020. but its july 2021. Only idiots are dying from this. you can get vaxxed and basically turn it into a bad flu with very very low likelihood of dying.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

That made sense in March 2020. but its july 2021. Only idiots are dying from this. you can get vaxxed and basically turn it into a bad flu with very very low likelihood of dying.

Oh dear me no! This is not true at all.

It can still result in loss of taste, smell and shortness of breath over the longer term. I understand that there is a lot of information going around at the moment but from the UK this is not so much the case!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Oh man, I'm so relieved that only idiots can be immuno-compromised

*turns to a group of children*
SHUT THE gently caress UP AND GO BACK TO SCHOOL, DADDY NEEDS TO DRINK TO GET THROUGH THIS ZOOM MEETING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Maybe that's too generalistic, but if you're immuno compromised at this point, wouldn't you have been protecting yourself from march 2020 onwards? I mean,

Josef bugman posted:

Oh dear me no! This is not true at all.

It can still result in loss of taste, smell and shortness of breath over the longer term. I understand that there is a lot of information going around at the moment but from the UK this is not so much the case!

I see that, I have experienced this with some folks i know getting covid post vaccination, what I mean is, yes still bad, still awful. but not as deadly if you're 2 vax'd up.