Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
Anyone have any experience with the GKD Mini? I love the aesthetics but I'm a little worried about whether or not it's comfortable and UI looks like it leaves a lot to be desired. I've been absolutely spoiled by how good the RG351P user experience is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhjsSNxkhVs

Unless you're collecting cheap chinese handhelds like they're pokemon, I don't see anything the GKD Mini has to offer, especially at its price point.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

Good to hear, how much RAM your Poco F3 have? Can you tell me your Dolphin graphical setting?

I am thinking of getting a Motorola edge S (SD870, 6GB/8GB options, pretty good 4G band coverage), or maybe a SD888 phone.

It has 8GB, but I'm sure 6GB is still plenty. I don't have anything that shows a RAM usage overlay though.

That sounds like a good choice since you might not want to use this Xaomi Poco F3 as your main phone. It's full of bloatware apps that ask for a lot of privelages if you open them.

I'd recommend the regular version of Dolphin but downloaded from their website, since the play store version is apparently outdated. It keeps itself updated anyway. The Dolphin retroarch core just crashed when I tried to load a game so I wouldn't bother with it. There's several forks of Dolphin that promise better performance and fewer stutters but they're not needed on higher-end phones and just rely on speed hacks. I did have some success with them on my 860 phone, but several games would just immediately crash and I couldn't share save data between the different emulators.

The only settings you should change are the controls, resolution scale, aspect ratio and video backend. Different games will perform better with OpenGL or Vulkan. Also some games will work well forced to 16:9 or 21:9, but you can set per-game options so you don't need to change these every time.

I use a DS4 attached by a clip and connected by a short microUSB-USB C cable. This is because Bluetooth has pretty noticeable lag and frequent lag spikes. I can notice it through Bluetooth earphones too but it's much better than control lag. You might want to get a Razer Kishi or something if you don't have a PS or Xbox controller lying around.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

It wouldn't get nearly the buzz with a $529 headline vs $399, and storage is the unsexy part so it's an easy cut, but it's hard to see the emmc version as anything but ewaste.

In my experience the Raspberry Pi 4 and Nvidia Jetson Nano were frustratingly slow running off a microSD card, but feel like a proper desktop when booting off an SSD.

I'm not sure how this would affect the Steam Deck though since 99% of the time you're either in a game or in the Steam big picture menu. You're not loading lots of browser tabs or documents.

Even if I had money burning a hole in my pocket I'd wait for a second model with normal controls and an extra NVMe slot. They might've left it out since they can generate a lot of heat.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Doesn't the steam dick kind of obviate the need for most of these consoles? Since it can run windows and all the emulators that come with that, as well as all your steam games?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Play posted:

Doesn't the steam dick kind of obviate the need for most of these consoles? Since it can run windows and all the emulators that come with that, as well as all your steam games?

Yes but it’s 4-5x the price.

They are smaller as well so they still have a purpose but yeah if you want all in one emulation that’s just gonna work the deck is it.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Taki from youtube is teasing a upcoming "$199 kickstarter android" handheld device, supposedly it has high end snapdragon chip, so lets throw out a wild guess it has $199/sd855/4gb and $299/sd865/8gb options. It should be able to emulate limited PS2 titles, probably no Switch emulation, compare to the $399 Steam Deck, but all the old consoles probably will run about the same.

You can also spend under $400 for an used LG V60 and an usbc controller.

The Steam thing is ugly but it can run all Steam games, and probably emulate The Last of US, so that's your deciding factors right there.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 16, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Play posted:

The Steam Deck is huge, heavy, expensive and 16:9. Lots of people want none of those things for playing Gameboy games.

I have an RG351V and a PC. I still want both and don’t want a Deck.

Granted, I really hope this kickstarts more PC handhelds because it’s a cool as hell concept.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The $400 price point does make me wonder what the high-end stuff will be priced around going forward. It looks like the MOQI i7s, which used to be $400, is going for about $250 now at least on AE, but it is a few years old now.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Taki from youtube is teasing a upcoming "$199 kickstarter android" handheld device, supposedly it has high end snapdragon chip, so lets throw out a wild guess it has $199/sd855/4gb and $299/sd865/8gb options. It should be able to emulate limited PS2 titles, probably no Switch emulation, compare to the $399 Steam Deck, but all the old consoles probably will run about the same.

You can also spend under $400 for an used LG V60 and an usbc controller.

The Steam thing is ugly but it can run all Steam games, and probably emulate The Last of US, so that's your deciding factors right there.

PS2 on Android is dismal. Taki already did a video on the state of it and even showed it running on Project Odin the "$199 Android"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

LODGE NORTH posted:

The $400 price point does make me wonder what the high-end stuff will be priced around going forward. It looks like the MOQI i7s, which used to be $400, is going for about $250 now at least on AE, but it is a few years old now.

The steam deck is being subsidized by valves nigh-monopoly on PC game distribution, smaller operations, especially those without a continuing revenue stream from the device (i.e. all of them) won't be able to come anywhere near that price point.

The steam deck looks really cool but it's far too large for me to actually take anywhere which means I don't have any use for it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

The Steam Deck is huge, heavy, expensive and 16:9. Lots of people want none of those things for playing Gameboy games.

I have an RG351V and a PC. I still want both and don’t want a Deck.

Granted, I really hope this kickstarts more PC handhelds because it’s a cool as hell concept.

It’s 16:10 actually lol

Your points are correct though.

The steam deck is a powerhouse machine.

PS2 on android is crap but on the PC its great! I was able to run PS2 games on my 10th gen intel GPD win max and it was awesome.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I just really hate using Android for everything. I tried it on the RP2, and it's just not a consistent experience with everything having different menus and hotkeys and everything.

I wish I could load up something Retropie or Batocera on these things. On something like the Steam Deck, I could either run Batocera, or go with a Windows/Launchbox setup (that's kind of a pain to set up initially, but works great after that), but even with the frontends I've tried for Android, it doesn't feel like a dedicated game machine.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

there are enough weird old games I’d like to play handheld that will probably never be ported from windows that i’m actually pretty interested in an affordable pc handheld from an established company. my word is that thing ugly as hell though. part of me hopes it’s another valve hardware flop that i can pick up in a fire sale a couple of years from now

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

I just really hate using Android for everything. I tried it on the RP2, and it's just not a consistent experience with everything having different menus and hotkeys and everything.

I wish I could load up something Retropie or Batocera on these things. On something like the Steam Deck, I could either run Batocera, or go with a Windows/Launchbox setup (that's kind of a pain to set up initially, but works great after that), but even with the frontends I've tried for Android, it doesn't feel like a dedicated game machine.

If you get something a bit more powerful, it can probably run Pegasus paired with gameOS. https://github.com/PlayingKarrde/gameOS That's what I have on everything that runs Android except the RP2 because it's such a shitshow there. Honestly, the RP2 looks cool, but that's kinda where the train stops for me. ]

The RP2 may have success running gameOS if you use the DIG version. I haven't tried myself or even watched this video, but I saw it when looking for a quick pic of gameOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR_vyvESEfc

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Weedle posted:

there are enough weird old games I’d like to play handheld that will probably never be ported from windows that i’m actually pretty interested in an affordable pc handheld from an established company. my word is that thing ugly as hell though. part of me hopes it’s another valve hardware flop that i can pick up in a fire sale a couple of years from now

I hope it’s successful so we get a smaller, not as powerful Steam Lite situation I can put windows on.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

I hope it’s successful so we get a smaller, not as powerful Steam Lite situation I can put windows on.

There was a leak that showed they have reservations for over 50k of the highest end model in the first hour.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I was on the preorder page for a good 20 minute trying different payment options before I could put in 5 bux.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Is this really going to be able to handle PS3 emulation? I feel like a similar product with a similar price point (and better arrangement of controls, without the little touchpads) would be pretty killer if it could reliably handle PS3 emulation, but last time I checked that's all pretty shaky. Then again, that was a little while ago, maybe I'm just out of touch.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Might be faked but word from reddit is that all models actually have a 2230 M.2 slot per an email to Gabe.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/olp163/was_wondering_if_the_steam_deck_will_have_a/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

zachol posted:

Is this really going to be able to handle PS3 emulation? I feel like a similar product with a similar price point (and better arrangement of controls, without the little touchpads) would be pretty killer if it could reliably handle PS3 emulation, but last time I checked that's all pretty shaky. Then again, that was a little while ago, maybe I'm just out of touch.

I think it is going to do pretty good. This is the Aya Neo which the Deck should be nearly 2x as powerful as.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhvrmNE5yng&t=386s

If it doesn't start at 6:30 thats where he's doing PS3.

He does PS3 as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuEeOfFOIdg&t=511s

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Might be faked but word from reddit is that all models actually have a 2230 M.2 slot per an email to Gabe.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/olp163/was_wondering_if_the_steam_deck_will_have_a/

Almost certainly faked given they said explicitly in the IGN interview the storage was only expandable via SD card.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

MarcusSA posted:

I think it is going to do pretty good. This is the Aya Neo which the Deck should be nearly 2x as powerful as.

Huh, neat. Hope the Deck spurs more options with more modest prices, although I'm a lot more interested now, hadn't noticed the PS3 performance.
Although is Valve taking that much of a loss on these? Seems odd that a recent $1000 handheld is somehow getting outstripped by a $400 option. I know there's going to be economy of scale stuff and the Aya team is smaller and needs bigger margins, but that's still pretty shocking. I guess you can compare the Deck's $400 to the $700ish for the preorders, but even then.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

zachol posted:

Huh, neat. Hope the Deck spurs more options with more modest prices, although I'm a lot more interested now, hadn't noticed the PS3 performance.
Although is Valve taking that much of a loss on these? Seems odd that a recent $1000 handheld is somehow getting outstripped by a $400 option. I know there's going to be economy of scale stuff and the Aya team is smaller and needs bigger margins, but that's still pretty shocking. I guess you can compare the Deck's $400 to the $700ish for the preorders, but even then.

BoM is always hard to say, especially with a semicustom part like this CPU, but for comparison, the Lenovo IdeaPad flex (seemingly the only laptop available with AMD's newest APU), which has 2 fewer GPU cores and they're Vega, not rdna 2, 8gb of ram, 256gb of storage, and 14" 1080p screen, retails for $600. The steam deck also has brand new tooling for all it's parts.

Part of Valves math here is that they get a cut of most/all of the games you'll buy on this, something Aya doesn't have going for it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

LODGE NORTH posted:

If you get something a bit more powerful, it can probably run Pegasus paired with gameOS. https://github.com/PlayingKarrde/gameOS That's what I have on everything that runs Android except the RP2 because it's such a shitshow there. Honestly, the RP2 looks cool, but that's kinda where the train stops for me. ]

The RP2 may have success running gameOS if you use the DIG version. I haven't tried myself or even watched this video, but I saw it when looking for a quick pic of gameOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR_vyvESEfc

I was able to use Dig, my main problem was exiting emulators. If I used the home button, it doesn't close the emulator so if I try to launch another game that uses the same one, it doesn't work. And everything in Retroarch was fine, but trying to set up other emulators to use the same hotkeys for opening menus and exiting really didn't work. Having spent weeks setting up a Windows-based arcade cabinet and another Windows console HTPC (with about 30 DS4Windows profiles to make sure various games & emulators work consistently), and still constantly tweaking them, I get way too frustrated dealing with that.

I think right now I'll wait and see if the 64gb Steam Deck also has the SSD slot (hopefully they didn't design two separate boards), that plus a new drive would likely be everything I would want.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I’m getting the RG351M this weekend. I understand that the front end that’s on there isn’t the best, and that 351elec is supposed to be pretty good. I have a 128gig microsd I could get prepared, if there’s anything I could do ahead of time. Is there a guide to getting it set up nicely?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The steam deck website has been updated to say all versions use a socketed 2230 m.2 module, but that they're "not intended for user replacement". Makes you wonder how hard this thing will be to open / replace the battery.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The steam deck website has been updated to say all versions use a socketed 2230 m.2 module, but that they're "not intended for user replacement". Makes you wonder how hard this thing will be to open / replace the battery.

There was a discord message from one of the devs that said the slot is behind a thermal pad and it will void the warranty if you dick with it.

Probably not overly hard but yeah it will void the warranty.

Here it is

SCheeseman posted:

https://twitter.com/RobotBrush/status/1416184430562058243
That's confirmation, Plagman is Pierre Loup at Valve.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The teardowns are honestly one of the things I'm most interested in, I would assume if it is just in a regular M2 slot then it's going to be at least under the fan which is going to be a long way down for what I assume is this thing's target market.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah getting the $399 version and a $100 512 m.2 would be a good way to go.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Chinook posted:

I’m getting the RG351M this weekend. I understand that the front end that’s on there isn’t the best, and that 351elec is supposed to be pretty good. I have a 128gig microsd I could get prepared, if there’s anything I could do ahead of time. Is there a guide to getting it set up nicely?

Here ya go: https://retrogamecorps.com/2021/03/16/rg351p-rg351m-starter-guide-2021-edition/

It boils down to install the latest 351Elec on the SD card and on your computer get your ROMs all sorted out and ready to go. You have to insert the SD card into the 351m and let it do some configuration before it'll be ready for you to move the ROMs over to it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Chinook posted:

russ at retro game corps has comprehensive guides for basically everything you might want to do with RG35x devices. here’s his setup guide for the 351p/m

https://retrogamecorps.com/2021/03/16/rg351p-rg351m-starter-guide-2021-edition/

and here’s the index of all his documentation for the 351

https://retrogamecorps.com/rg351/

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

I’ve repaired some pretty difficult phones and tablets, as long as they don’t have some kind of glued down plastic parts, I’m sure it’ll be doable. Thinking about preordering the 64Gb now.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah getting the $399 version and a $100 512 m.2 would be a good way to go.

Worth noting it won't take a "normal" m.2, unless they've left a bunch of empty space next to the slot. Consumer drives are 2280, this takes a 2230, which are the stubby little drives you might find in a laptop. You can still get them but you'll most likely pay a premium, e.g. dell has a 512 on their website but it's $150.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Worth noting it won't take a "normal" m.2, unless they've left a bunch of empty space next to the slot. Consumer drives are 2280, this takes a 2230, which are the stubby little drives you might find in a laptop. You can still get them but you'll most likely pay a premium, e.g. dell has a 512 on their website but it's $150.

Yeah someone in the steam thread found them on eBay for $92. They aren’t easy to find off the shelf though.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks Weedle and CFox, that guide looks great. Should give me time to get things in order before it arrives!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Chinook posted:

Thanks Weedle and CFox, that guide looks great. Should give me time to get things in order before it arrives!

He moves slow and is thorough so it’s really only a handful of things to actually do. Grab a beer, follow along with him and enjoy.

I actually love doing the initial setup. Homebrewing my New 2DS was like putting LEGO together. So chill.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Weedle posted:

the idea of a handheld pc sold by a company from which you can expect some degree of after-sales support is certainly appealing

Yeah, I hope we get one of those someday. Unfortunately this one is being made by Valve

Vakal
May 11, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

The vita is perfect for PSP and PS1 but not so 100% for SNES and other stuff.

If you have a Vita I'd just stick with that but if I were going to buy something I'd go with the RG351 TBH.

I also think the Vitas are pricer now but that depends on your market / area.

Are the face buttons and stick on the RG351 any bigger than the ones on a Vita?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BoM is always hard to say, especially with a semicustom part like this CPU, but for comparison, the Lenovo IdeaPad flex (seemingly the only laptop available with AMD's newest APU), which has 2 fewer GPU cores and they're Vega, not rdna 2, 8gb of ram, 256gb of storage, and 14" 1080p screen, retails for $600. The steam deck also has brand new tooling for all it's parts.

Part of Valves math here is that they get a cut of most/all of the games you'll buy on this, something Aya doesn't have going for it.

Doesn't hurt that getting a decent gaming computer or console is an utter crapshoot due to scalpers and crypto currency mining, so Valve offering something that is both very powerful for a handheld unit but also pretty reasonably priced for a gaming computer in general in this current market and seeming to be comparatively easy to get if one doesn't mind waiting a fee months all comes together rather nicely for it to have made more of an impact than it might have back before COVID

MarcusSA posted:

There was a discord message from one of the devs that said the slot is behind a thermal pad and it will void the warranty if you dick with it.

Probably not overly hard but yeah it will void the warranty.

Here it is

That's what I figured, I just went for the 512 version anyways for simplicity reasons