Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

According to family, the Supreme Court has ruled in some old case that “fraud vitiates everything” so therefore Biden is no longer allowed to be President, Harris is no longer VP, and Trump just gets to take over the spot.
Seems legit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Rutherford Hayes and his fellow Republicans straight up stole the 1876 election from Samuel Tilden, and the election was never remedied. Looks like everything since then gets rolled back to when people debated whether to legalize Mardi Gras.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kaal posted:

Rutherford Hayes and his fellow Republicans straight up stole the 1876 election from Samuel Tilden, and the election was never remedied. Looks like everything since then gets rolled back to when people debated whether to legalize Mardi Gras.

I would certainly love to revisit Reconstruction, let's get this done.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kaal posted:

The compromise of 1877 is one of the most disastrous bits of :decorum: in the history of this nation. It caused the army to stop enforcing civil rights laws in the south and directly led to jim crow.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah if I had to pick a "stop here" point for rolling back the lawbooks to before a certain president and the qualifications were that they couldn't be a president before 1800 I'd definitely have Hayes on my shortlist.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

jeeves posted:

Eh, nice to have backup plans of a 6v3 SCOTUS for paving the way for Less-Idiot-Trump(tm) that is DeSantis.

I'm not sure Less-Idiot-Trump can win. DeSantis is a charisma-free damp suit that almost lost the governor's mansion to a Democrat for the first time in my life while Trump won the state handily both times.

I think you need More-Idiot-Trump because that's where all the loud ignorant Boomer-charisma is

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'm inclined to agree. The dude DeSantis beat literally had his campaign implode because of an FBI sting that involved him being bribed with Hamilton tickets. I'm not sure anyone could have lost to that guy realistically speaking.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm inclined to agree. The dude DeSantis beat literally had his campaign implode because of an FBI sting that involved him being bribed with Hamilton tickets. I'm not sure anyone could have lost to that guy realistically speaking.

Lmao I forgot about that scandal. His post election arc was definitely something else, too

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You don't need more-or-less Trump, you're just gonna get Trump again when he runs in 2024. He is so lionized by the GOP base at this point that I don't think anybody on the right has a legit shot against him if and when he decides to run for a second term.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sydin posted:

You don't need more-or-less Trump, you're just gonna get Trump again when he runs in 2024. He is so lionized by the GOP base at this point that I don't think anybody on the right has a legit shot against him if and when he decides to run for a second term.

I don't expect him to run, but only because I expect his health won't let him (if he's even still alive).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I would certainly love to revisit Deconstruction, let's get this done.

:sherman:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

The compromise of 1877 is one of the most disastrous bits of :decorum: in the history of this nation. It caused the army to stop enforcing civil rights laws in the south and directly led to jim crow.

I thought it was just poor taste when Ted Cruz suggested this on the floor of the senate the morning of 1/6, but not I think he was just showing his hand.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/lawcrimenews/status/1416435049990291458

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

lol at conservatives getting reamed by their own uptight morality speech codes

Would be incredibly funny if this resulted in all obscenity laws getting overturned

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

21 for an FFL? Sounds unconstitutional.
Totally agree. I think the court got it right that there is no valid government interest in gating citizens' rights to some arbitrary age after majority.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

For what it's worth, you still have to be 21 to get an Federal Firearms License, which is required to own an actual machine gun. At this point I wouldn't be that surprised if this got struck down too, but it is currently the case.

I point this out because automatic weapons are vanishingly rarely used in crimes. Because the NFA is so restrictive. And gun control works. :eyepop:
You don't need a FFL to own machine guns. You need a FFL & SOT to own post-86 dealer sample machine guns, but any papered pre-86 MG can be transferred to anyone who can pass a NFA check. The reason people under 21 can't buy them is that federal law only allows a dealer to transfer a "rifle or shotgun" to a person under 21, and machine guns are legally outside those categories. But now if you're a rich 20 year old in the 4th circuit, congrats!

The reason machine guns aren't used in crimes today is the same reason Imperiale Montecarlos and Holland & Hollands are basically never used in crimes: the sort of person who can drop $10,000+ on a gun isn't sticking up 7-11s. Making guns financially inaccessible to the poor is certainly a very effective means of reducing gun crime, but most people who favor it generally don't say so out loud.

Even before the closure of the MG registry and artificial scarcity, legally owned machine guns were rarely used in crimes because, again, the sort of person who will fill out a bunch of paperwork and get fingerprinted and wait for months for their tax stamp to clear isn't the sort of person who does street crimes.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nonsense, the good people at Gun Shills and Lobbyists Inc told me that gun control doesn't work. If it did then why is there such rampant gun violence in countries with it and not here in the US? Checkmate, liburls. :fsmug:
I have some very bad news regarding Mexico and Brazil and Venezuela's gun laws and murder rates. There isn't any correlation between strictness of gun laws and murder rates.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Dead Reckoning posted:

Totally agree. I think the court got it right that there is no valid government interest in gating citizens' rights to some arbitrary age after majority.

lol yeah what could be more arbitrary than trying to stop people who are much more likely to commit gun violence from getting guns

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Grip it and rip it posted:

lol yeah what could be more arbitrary than trying to stop people who are much more likely to commit gun violence from getting guns
That's a line of reasoning (preemptively banning users based on characteristics) you really don't want to go down.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ilkhan posted:

That's a line of reasoning (preemptively banning users based on characteristics) you really don't want to go down.

we have a history of this very thing

as a matter of fact we're still doing it to people, and it involves everything up to and including civil rights

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ilkhan posted:

a different angle: this is what licensure looks like

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

hand machine guns out at all the entrances to high schools to ensure all the kids are exercising their constitutional rights

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VitalSigns posted:

hand machine guns out at all the entrances to high schools to ensure all the kids are exercising their constitutional rights

arm the unhoused seeing as they're always on patrol

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Why is the age to buy alcohol still 21?

Yes, I know the "real reason" is that the feds denied Interstate highway funding to every state that didn't play ball on this. It's a de facto federal ban on alcohol sales to people under 21. Why is this okay?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

skaboomizzy posted:

Yes, I know the "real reason" is that the feds denied Interstate highway funding to every state that didn't play ball on this. It's a de facto federal ban on alcohol sales to people under 21. Why is this okay?

alcohol damages a developing mind more than a bullet, obviously

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There have been multiple studies that have shown that heavy underage drinking can be directly tied to issues with mental development and memory retention. Here's the top google result for such studies, and there are plenty more where that came from.

Granted it is completely asinine that you're allowed to handle a firearm before you're allowed to drink, but the 21 year old drinking age limit is actually grounded in medical science.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

I assume it's considered OK because there's no actual constitutional right to drink alcohol (not even in the 21st Amendment; it just repeals the general ban on alcohol).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Interesting because the constitution doesn't define an 'age of majority' anywhere.

The only mention of age is that voting rights can't be denied to anyone at least 18 on account of age, and a bunch of restrictions on how old you have to be to qualify for various political offices (all higher than 18).

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

ilkhan posted:

Age restrictions are already a prevalent aspect of American law so Im not sure what you are getting at

Sydin posted:

There have been multiple studies that have shown that heavy underage drinking can be directly tied to issues with mental development and memory retention. Here's the top google result for such studies, and there are plenty more where that came from.

Granted it is completely asinine that you're allowed to handle a firearm before you're allowed to drink, but the 21 year old drinking age limit is actually grounded in medical science.

there is plenty of science demonstrating how stupid and reckless 18 year olds are - I think those eame studies could be effectively brought to bear here

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
When last I checked (which is several years ago now) there was evidence supporting development, and thus increased risk of harm through alcohol exposure, up to an average age of around 24.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

I have some very bad news regarding Mexico and Brazil and Venezuela's gun laws and murder rates. There isn't any correlation between strictness of gun laws and murder rates.

In this country there's a direct correlation between level of gun ownership and gun violence on a county level. Not that any of this matter thanks to recent Supreme Court decisions.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

Might want to spend some time thinking about Simpson's Paradox and causality.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol

https://twitter.com/DavidLat/status/1417213226492772355?s=20

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Stickman posted:

Might want to spend some time thinking about Simpson's Paradox and causality.

Clearly gun laws not working in countries the US has repeatedly destabilized for decades means gun control can't work. Please ignore all of the first world nations with gun control and whose combined gun violence is a fraction of what the US sees.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Sydin posted:

Granted it is completely asinine that you're allowed to handle a firearm before you're allowed to drink,
This is my take, basically. If someone's brain is so underdeveloped and impulsive that they shouldn't be allowed to buy alcohol or handguns, they have no business signing contracts or deciding which American gets unilateral control of 5,000 nuclear weapons. I don't really care whether we set the age of majority at 18 or 21 or some other number we settle on, but we shouldn't be gating fundamental legal rights for certain groups past the age of majority because we think they're too immature.

Groovelord Neato posted:

In this country there's a direct correlation between level of gun ownership and gun violence on a county level. Not that any of this matter thanks to recent Supreme Court decisions.
There's only a correlation if you lump suicides with a firearm into "gun violence" to obfuscate the fact that you're not talking about interpersonal violence the way most people think you are. If you only go by interpersonal violence, the correlation evaporates, even if you use the favorable "homicides using a firearm" metric rather than the overall murder rate which would capture both method substitution and deterrence. https://brady-score.github.io/

Evil Fluffy posted:

Clearly gun laws not working in countries the US has repeatedly destabilized for decades means gun control can't work. Please ignore all of the first world nations with gun control and whose combined gun violence is a fraction of what the US sees.
If you have to confine your analysis of gun control only to wealthy, developed countries with strong state institutions in order to capture successes, perhaps those qualities have more to do with reduction in murder rates than their gun laws.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1417203650775207937

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dead Reckoning posted:

If you have to confine your analysis of gun control only to wealthy, developed countries with strong state institutions in order to capture successes, perhaps those qualities have more to do with reduction in murder rates than their gun laws.

So you're saying the US should be compared to 3rd world and developing nations instead? Instead we should only look at countries that are in varying states of crisis and lawlessness to see whether or not gun control works, while ignoring everything else?

Just :lmao: at the lengths you're going to not acknowledge that gun control works and trying to argue against it by pointing to countries heavily damaged by outside influences and in at least two of your examples, foreign-backed coups (successful or otherwise) where the rule of law in general has broken down across the board.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 20, 2021

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

There's only a correlation if you lump suicides with a firearm into "gun violence" to obfuscate the fact that you're not talking about interpersonal violence the way most people think you are.

The only obfuscation here is pretending that suicides somehow don't count as "gun violence," I would like for people not to use guns to kill other people or themselves, please and thank you.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
If its not gang affiliated its not gun violence. Those are mental health crisis' you see...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

So you're saying the US should be compared to 3rd world and developing nations instead? Instead we should only look at countries that are in varying states of crisis and lawlessness to see whether or not gun control works, while ignoring everything else?

Just :lmao: at the lengths you're going to not acknowledge that gun control works and trying to argue against it by pointing to countries heavily damaged by outside influences and in at least two of your examples, foreign-backed coups (successful or otherwise) where the rule of law in general has broken down across the board.

To be fair america has way more in common with third world countries then first

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

quote:

Bopp argued IU's policies for unvaccinated individuals, which includes continued mask wearing and mitigation testing, infringes on their religious freedom by imposing additional measures upon students due to their beliefs.

I must have missed the part of the bible where Jesus said wearing a mask + spitting into small tubes once every 2 weeks was a sin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I had to get some vaccines when I went to college because they weren't part of the schedule when I was a baby/child. These people are so loving stupid.