Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
Does anyone know of a good 60% low profile keyboard? And I mean pretty low -- the most popular one I've found is the CoolerMaster SK620, which, sitting at a bit over an inch, still feels uncomfortable to type on for me w/o a small wrist pad.

I tried the Nuphy F1, which has everything I'm looking for, but it appears that it was just a small project on Kickstarter and the QC on the keyboards is pretty bad. My spacebar keeps on coming loose after light use and their support is giving me the runaround on it, so I'm looking for something else now I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Klyith posted:

iirc N-key is slightly violating the USB 1.0 spec or something like that and doesn't work with some very antiquated PCs.

The USB HID standard usually has the device define its own configuration, which the USB stack has to interpret and understand to make sense of the messages it sends.

Because that can get complicated, they also defined two specific minimal "boot mode" descriptors for keyboards and mice that provide enough functionality to get around a basic firmware interface or similar and allow a much simpler implementation of USB that can make a lot of assumptions about the data a supporting device is sending. The boot mode for keyboards defines six keys and eight modifiers, so that became the de facto default for keyboards.

A device that provides its own descriptor can support any amount of rollover it wants, but some older BIOS implementations apparently don't handle this well, so a lot of even high end keyboards will either default to boot mode until twiddled by a driver or have a physical switch to choose between NKRO and boot mode.

https://usb.org/sites/default/files/hid1_11.pdf Appendix B for anyone curious about the specifics.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 15, 2021

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

Ok, so it sounds like the Preonic is the way to go. I'm thinking linears for this one, are Alpacas still the linear of choice (among what's actually in stock?)

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Sofle PCBs came in, now to print a case :woop:

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Dimestore Merlin posted:

Ok, so it sounds like the Preonic is the way to go. I'm thinking linears for this one, are Alpacas still the linear of choice (among what's actually in stock?)

Alpacas would still be my default recommendation if you want a JWK Linear switch.

If you want something a little deeper sounding but with about the same smoothness, try Lavenders, my new favorite JWK linear: https://cannonkeys.com/products/lavender-linear-switch?variant=32226584363119

If you want something smoother but higher pitched, try C3 Tangerines: https://thekey.company/products/c3-tangerine-switches-r2?_pos=1&_sid=7f41efa81&_ss=r

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I posted some keebs in SA Mart:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973577

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Sofle PCBs came in, now to print a case :woop:

hi Sofle buddy, let me know what case you settle on, I still need to start buliding mine (have some home renovation that needs to be finished first).

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

hi Sofle buddy, let me know what case you settle on, I still need to start buliding mine (have some home renovation that needs to be finished first).

I'm pretty underwhelmed at what's available tbh, I began pricing out CNC milling before realizing it would be cheaper to buy a dinky mill off Amazon and do it myself (not a positive).

One of the reddit-based stores is going to be offering milled aluminum soon, but that'll still be north of 250.

Currently the plan is to print up a basic case out of PETG with the holes to tent long screws, but I get the feeling that isn't going to last long

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 16, 2021

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

so these past few months i've been looking into mech keyboards and customization, and from what i can tell it's very expensive but the ability to configure everything to your specifications is the pay offs. i'm def interested in trying it out, and i almost bought the gmk lazurite set because i thought it was pretty... except i then balked when i realized i'd be spending a couple hundo on keycaps while waiting for a year+, which i'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on. i'd been tempted to get the kbdfans case too, but i realized i know nothing about putting together a keyboard from scratch.

anyways i was wondering what was a good 60% diy, preferably with bluetooth and hotswappable, that i could start out with. i figure i could use it for my laptop and work, and i'd really like to try and see which clicky switches sound the best.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Splash Attack posted:

so these past few months i've been looking into mech keyboards and customization, and from what i can tell it's very expensive but the ability to configure everything to your specifications is the pay offs. i'm def interested in trying it out, and i almost bought the gmk lazurite set because i thought it was pretty... except i then balked when i realized i'd be spending a couple hundo on keycaps while waiting for a year+, which i'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on. i'd been tempted to get the kbdfans case too, but i realized i know nothing about putting together a keyboard from scratch.

anyways i was wondering what was a good 60% diy, preferably with bluetooth and hotswappable, that i could start out with. i figure i could use it for my laptop and work, and i'd really like to try and see which clicky switches sound the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=535Zy_rf4NU

I haven't done a full custom, but I will when I have the cash to do what I want. Soldering is not hard, don't think that is a barrier to entry. You can learn how to do it in an afternoon. Long wait times are normal, and group buys are a pain in the rear end. Switch testers don't give a great impression as you need to feel multiple keys at a time to get a good feel. There's tons of good YouTube channels and small sites to learn more from.

Good luck!

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 17, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You can save a lot of money if you don't care about fancy keycaps.

No one can resist the call of fancy keycaps.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Speak of the devil re: sofle

Okay, so 270CAD

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Splash Attack posted:

Well the fun part is figuring all this out for yourself.
But here, let me give you a jumping off point:

Tofu60 case on KBDfans.
There's a lot of different PCBs that will work with it, including the DZ60 that is also available from KBDfans and some new Bluetooth ones like the Polarity Works BT60.

Welcome to the hobby
Everything is expensive.
Everything is out of stock.
Everything is usually available on reddit mechmarket for twice the price of expensive.

e: oh also, the Bakeneko is also a great starter board. Much better than the Tofu actually.
https://cannonkeys.com/products/bakeneko-60
It's not in stock, but it should be coming back.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 17, 2021

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
And look to Aliexpress for knockoff versions of some of the best keycaps sets that you may have missed groupbuy for:
GMK Laser and gmk Night runner are two that come to mind. I have a legit SA laser set but it was my first SA set and the one that taught me I greatly dislike SA keycaps.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I'm pretty underwhelmed at what's available tbh, I began pricing out CNC milling before realizing it would be cheaper to buy a dinky mill off Amazon and do it myself (not a positive).

One of the reddit-based stores is going to be offering milled aluminum soon, but that'll still be north of 250.

Currently the plan is to print up a basic case out of PETG with the holes to tent long screws, but I get the feeling that isn't going to last long

drat that’s pricy. Any idea if there are designs for 3d printing a case?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

drat that’s pricy. Any idea if there are designs for 3d printing a case?

there are, but there's also minor differences between v1, v2, and v2.1 so it's tough to tell what will work well and what won't

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Opioid posted:

And look to Aliexpress for knockoff versions of some of the best keycaps sets that you may have missed groupbuy for:
GMK Laser and gmk Night runner are two that come to mind. I have a legit SA laser set but it was my first SA set and the one that taught me I greatly dislike SA keycaps.

Please don't do this.
Yeah, I understand that you have limited options if you missed the boat on a set you like. But supporting people who steal the work of designers, hurts the designers and ultimately de-incentivizes them from creating sets. Clones of sets are getting out of hand to the point where knock-off manus are just trolling GH GB threads and stealing and producing lovely knock offs of designs before GMK is even able to produce them.
If you buy a knock off, you're not just taking money from a designer, you're also telling them that the work they put into making a thing is valueless and you're supporting business that will further continue to steal work and hurt more designers.
Not to mention, you might be supporting a business that outright harasses designers and vendors (and yeah sometimes even customers.)
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/jpyzzk/so_a_hk_gaming_reseller_thought_that_it_would_be/
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/o1noyr/an_open_call_to_this_subreddit_to_boycott_hk/
https://twitter.com/apiarykeyboards/status/1410066813971439619

I know the system is flawed, but vendors and manufacturers are working to fix it. Please be patient. Join the Goon discord and reach out to people for help finding things you want. Talk to vendors and let them know you might be interested in another round of a colorway that they had run. Keep an eye on mechmarket for the occasional non-flipper just trying to offload some stuff.
Buying knockoffs just hurts the community that makes the things you like and helps those that want to hurt the community that produces the things you like.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Also, maybe just consider sets that don't cost as much or have such a long lead time. ePBT turn around time is like a third of what GMK's is right now. Signature Plastics SA queue may be hosed but they can still turn around a DSS set in a couple months and DCS doesn't take very long either.

DCS Paperwork is in IC right now. If you're interested, please take a minute to fill out this form to give 3Dkeebs your feedback and let them know you might like it and help them tailor the set to fit your needs. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdZvyLnlrNJzmhtzjys_SUyW_QhrSrFWyC2PpboXsxKRNkERA/viewform

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Here’s what I don’t get with that argument though. How is me paying a seller on /r/mm $500 for a GMK Laser set benefitting Mito? That ship has sailed, he made his set, made his cash and it’s over.
I’ve purchased 5+ sets during original GB runs and will continue to when I see a set I like (MT3 Godspeed being one of my favourites) but when it comes to the second hand market I don’t feel bad for sets that are years out of print and no signs of a re-run.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Opioid posted:

Here’s what I don’t get with that argument though. How is me paying a seller on /r/mm $500 for a GMK Laser set benefitting Mito? That ship has sailed, he made his set, made his cash and it’s over.
I’ve purchased 5+ sets during original GB runs and will continue to when I see a set I like (MT3 Godspeed being one of my favourites) but when it comes to the second hand market I don’t feel bad for sets that are years out of print and no signs of a re-run.

Well that's why I said keep an eye out for non-flippers but...
Someone bought that set from Drop initially. That money benefitted Mito. It didn't benefit a lovely company that is out to steal Mito's designs.
Also, if Mito/Drop see that their sets ARE trading for insane prices or that there's a lot of WTB ads for Mito sets, than they know right then and there that they should probably get to work on another round of something.

I buy plenty of stuff second hand too. It's actually pretty great that there's a marketplace for it. However, there's a big difference between a set that ran recently ("recently" being in the context of keyset delivery cycle) and you missed it, and a set that ran 10 years ago and will never run again because the persons responsible aren't even around to give their permission for another run.

Let's put it in the context of videogames.
There's no issues with buying used videogames from Gamestop. No one sees that as problematic. Not even the videogame creators despite the fact that the resell isn't making them money.
However if you are pirating games, or making copies and selling them, that's a pretty big no-no.

And yes, "nOboDy OWnS ColOrWayS" but just because a keyset design can't specifically be protected by IP laws, doesn't make it any less immoral or problematic when someone steals the colorway. Worse, most creators do not have the financial backing to pursue litigation even when IP is stolen, such as names and specific designs, so effectively the IP laws that are in place to protect their work aren't even effective. Buying knock off sets makes them EVEN LESS effective because it removes the financial ability of a creator to protect their designs while supporting those who steal the designs to further steal designs from yet even more designers who cannot protect their work.

Believe it or not, despite the expensive-ness of this hobby, a majority of designers are not in this to make appreciable amounts of money. But it's not like they want their designs to be stolen so that someone else can make money instead.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Please don't do this.
Yeah, I understand that you have limited options if you missed the boat on a set you like. But supporting people who steal the work of designers, hurts the designers and ultimately de-incentivizes them from creating sets. Clones of sets are getting out of hand to the point where knock-off manus are just trolling GH GB threads and stealing and producing lovely knock offs of designs before GMK is even able to produce them.
If you buy a knock off, you're not just taking money from a designer, you're also telling them that the work they put into making a thing is valueless and you're supporting business that will further continue to steal work and hurt more designers.
Not to mention, you might be supporting a business that outright harasses designers and vendors (and yeah sometimes even customers.)
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/jpyzzk/so_a_hk_gaming_reseller_thought_that_it_would_be/
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/o1noyr/an_open_call_to_this_subreddit_to_boycott_hk/
https://twitter.com/apiarykeyboards/status/1410066813971439619

I know the system is flawed, but vendors and manufacturers are working to fix it. Please be patient. Join the Goon discord and reach out to people for help finding things you want. Talk to vendors and let them know you might be interested in another round of a colorway that they had run. Keep an eye on mechmarket for the occasional non-flipper just trying to offload some stuff.
Buying knockoffs just hurts the community that makes the things you like and helps those that want to hurt the community that produces the things you like.

Absolutely buy knockoffs if you want gently caress the limited releases, gently caress the huge lead times, gently caress the ridiculous costs, gently caress the community. Even if you can afford to waste money on a $150 keycap set and wait 10 months or whatever, there's no way that poo poo is justified and I don't blame anyone for deciding "hey I like this combination of colors, I can spend less money, and get them sooner" to do just that.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well that's why I said keep an eye out for non-flippers but...
Someone bought that set from Drop initially. That money benefitted Mito. It didn't benefit a lovely company that is out to steal Mito's designs.
Also, if Mito/Drop see that their sets ARE trading for insane prices or that there's a lot of WTB ads for Mito sets, than they know right then and there that they should probably get to work on another round of something.

I buy plenty of stuff second hand too. It's actually pretty great that there's a marketplace for it. However, there's a big difference between a set that ran recently ("recently" being in the context of keyset delivery cycle) and you missed it, and a set that ran 10 years ago and will never run again because the persons responsible aren't even around to give their permission for another run.

Let's put it in the context of videogames.
There's no issues with buying used videogames from Gamestop. No one sees that as problematic. Not even the videogame creators despite the fact that the resell isn't making them money.
However if you are pirating games, or making copies and selling them, that's a pretty big no-no.

And yes, "nOboDy OWnS ColOrWayS" but just because a keyset design can't specifically be protected by IP laws, doesn't make it any less immoral or problematic when someone steals the colorway. Worse, most creators do not have the financial backing to pursue litigation even when IP is stolen, such as names and specific designs, so effectively the IP laws that are in place to protect their work aren't even effective. Buying knock off sets makes them EVEN LESS effective because it removes the financial ability of a creator to protect their designs while supporting those who steal the designs to further steal designs from yet even more designers who cannot protect their work.

Believe it or not, despite the expensive-ness of this hobby, a majority of designers are not in this to make appreciable amounts of money. But it's not like they want their designs to be stolen so that someone else can make money instead.

I invented black on grey and you are using that without my permission! Don't you care about my art?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 17, 2021

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

Absolutely buy knockoffs if you want gently caress the limited releases, gently caress the huge lead times, gently caress the ridiculous costs, gently caress the community. Even if you can afford to waste money on a $150 keycap set and wait 10 months or whatever, there's no way that poo poo is justified and I don't blame anyone for deciding "hey I like this combination of colors, I can spend less money, and get them sooner" to do just that.

I invented black on grey and you are using that without my permission! Don't you care about my art?

I see you have completely missed the point.

For anyone looking for sets, please feel free to hop in the Discord or post up in here. People like Charlie will absolutely help you find good, quality, keycap sets that are in the colors you're looking for, at reasonable prices. There are plenty of similar sets being made that aren't blatant knock-offs and aren't being made by companies that are openly antagonistic to designers and consumers.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=535Zy_rf4NU

I haven't done a full custom, but I will when I have the cash to do what I want. Soldering is not hard, don't think that is a barrier to entry. You can learn how to do it in an afternoon. Long wait times are normal, and group buys are a pain in the rear end. Switch testers don't give a great impression as you need to feel multiple keys at a time to get a good feel. There's tons of good YouTube channels and small sites to learn more from.

Good luck!

i would like to learn soldering for other things (i have been wanting to do those gba upgrade mods for a while now because i still have my old gba and sp, and those require some soldering) but at the moment i don't have the room for it. i've also been watching a few youtubers, like TaeKeyboards, but i will take any channel suggestions.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

You can save a lot of money if you don't care about fancy keycaps.

No one can resist the call of fancy keycaps.

i got into this by first falling down into the artisan keycap rabbit hole. i am the ultimate sucker for fancy keycaps, although i have to admit some of popular design aesthetics seem really odd to me.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well the fun part is figuring all this out for yourself.
But here, let me give you a jumping off point:

Tofu60 case on KBDfans.
There's a lot of different PCBs that will work with it, including the DZ60 that is also available from KBDfans and some new Bluetooth ones like the Polarity Works BT60.

Welcome to the hobby
Everything is expensive.
Everything is out of stock.
Everything is usually available on reddit mechmarket for twice the price of expensive.

e: oh also, the Bakeneko is also a great starter board. Much better than the Tofu actually.
https://cannonkeys.com/products/bakeneko-60
It's not in stock, but it should be coming back.

thanks for the suggestions! i think i'll wait for the bakeneko to come back, i'm not really in any urgent need of a keyboard right now. i actually bought a corsair k100 earlier in the year, before i found out that i could have built a custom keyboard. :v: i don't think i'll give it up because i do like a full size keyboard and those seem to be harder to get in the mech keyboard community.

by the way, what are the differences between keycaps? i keep seeing mentions of stuff like mt3 and ePBT and so on, i was able to figure out what GMKs are, but i'm still kind of fuzzy on a lot of the buzzwords i see dropped a lot.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Speaking of key caps, can someone post those Taro clones that were done in PBT and being sold for like $80 but then someone found them cheaper on Aliexpress thank you.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Splash Attack posted:

by the way, what are the differences between keycaps? i keep seeing mentions of stuff like mt3 and ePBT and so on, i was able to figure out what GMKs are, but i'm still kind of fuzzy on a lot of the buzzwords i see dropped a lot.
There are a couple major considerations when it comes to different keycaps: profile and material.
Profile is the shape of a set of keycaps.
Material is what the keycap is made of, be it ABS plastic or PBT plastic. There are others, but these are the two most common.

Beyond that there's also how the legends are done but those are usually inherent to a specific profile/manufacturer, so it's not like there is a lot of choice there once you've settled on a manufacturer/profile/material.
You might hear that a keycap is pad printed, or dye sublimated, or doubleshot, or tripleshot, etc... This refers to how the legends were put on the keycaps.

MT3 is a profile. It is made in both PBT and ABS.
ePBT (short for enjoy pbt) is a manufacturer, that makes both abs and pbt keycaps, in Cherry profile.

I could sit here all day and list up things like this but I'm sure it's probably already on the internet somewhere else.

I would recommend taking a look at Keyboard University to familiarize yourself with a bit of the vernacular and understand the components that go into a keyboard.
https://keyboard.university/

But also don't hesitate to ask questions if there's something you don't understand.
And yeah, join the discord. Ping me in there if you need to have something answered in a reasonable timeframe.
https://discord.gg/GT4vAK9tbh

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Gearman posted:

I see you have completely missed the point.

For anyone looking for sets, please feel free to hop in the Discord or post up in here. People like Charlie will absolutely help you find good, quality, keycap sets that are in the colors you're looking for, at reasonable prices. There are plenty of similar sets being made that aren't blatant knock-offs and aren't being made by companies that are openly antagonistic to designers and consumers.

No I didn't I'm just smart enough to tell that I'm talking about in general while the other person was talking about a specific company as well as in general (maybe not the intent but that's how I clearly read it). It's okay you don't have to respond to my points and can just hand wave them away with "I see you completely missed the point" I won't notice.

Keyboard enthusiasts want it to be a chore, it makes them think having something is an accomplishment. I built this, it took years to get and cost way too much but I did it! Can't buy it anymore, the combination of keyswitch/keyboard is unique to me. Don't lube your switches, accessible for the masses, fight back against the keyboard elitests.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

No I didn't I'm just smart enough to tell that I'm talking about in general while the other person was talking about a specific company as well as in general (maybe not the intent but that's how I clearly read it). It's okay you don't have to respond to my points and can just hand wave them away with "I see you completely missed the point" I won't notice.

Keyboard enthusiasts want it to be a chore, it makes them think having something is an accomplishment. I built this, it took years to get and cost way too much but I did it! Can't buy it anymore, the combination of keyswitch/keyboard is unique to me. Don't lube your switches, accessible for the masses, fight back against the keyboard elitests.

I spent about as much time with my response as you did reading this thread. There are numerous posts with links to kits, vendors, and resources to buy all sorts of parts at extremely reasonable prices. This thread, and the Discord, are probably the least "gatekeepy" in the hobby.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
I bought a Durgod Taurus TKL in January and it was my first mechanical keyboard. The stock keycaps they included are so terrible. I've had about 10 different keycaps break on me; the keycap shafts are extremely fragile and break regularly. At this rate I think I'll need to replace most of my caps by the end of the year.

I'm looking for another prebuilt keyboard with hopefully non-crappy keycaps. Is Leopold a good alternative?

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Jesus christ, what are you doing to your poor keyboard? Got hammers for fingers?

I just pulled my box of oem Taurus keycaps out. The stem part is no different than any other set I've got for reference. Where/how are they failing?

Been using mine heavily for gaming for well over a year, on cherry clears, and never seen anything like what you're describing.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

mA posted:

I bought a Durgod Taurus TKL in January and it was my first mechanical keyboard. The stock keycaps they included are so terrible. I've had about 10 different keycaps break on me; the keycap shafts are extremely fragile and break regularly. At this rate I think I'll need to replace most of my caps by the end of the year.

I'm looking for another prebuilt keyboard with hopefully non-crappy keycaps. Is Leopold a good alternative?

Yeah Leopold is good. The brands the OP lists (Vortex, WASD, etc.) are all solid options and basically the top end before entering enthusiast territory.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Royal Kludge a reliable brand? I'm looking to try out a mechanical keyboard and it seems to have everything I'd want for a decent price. It's on amazon here:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08JCV3J5P/?coliid=ITMK96IVCD0V4&colid=1VPO1I22O02RH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I don't own one of their keyboards myself but I've heard they're good as starter boards. They're supposed to be pretty good out of the box but can easily be modded if you want to go that route.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Thanks!

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
There’s been a lot of positive reviews for the RK boards - great starters and lots of options. At this point if it’s a hot swap board go for it as it’ll give you a chance to try different switches but also lube them for smoother operation.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

mA posted:

I have 4 Durgods from a few years ago and the keycaps are actually kinda nice. I've never had an issue with any of mine.
I'm not suggesting you attempt to reach out to Durgod Customer Support or anything. We all know that is just a waste of time. It's just a really curious problem.

Leopolds are good yeah. Their boards are solid and even their keycaps are pretty nice PBT.

Duck and Cover posted:

Oh I thought you were being sarcastic.
Well FWIW I think Gearman is incorrect. I don't think you missed the point. I think you're avoiding it because it's not convenient for you.

I have absolutely no problem with accessibility or inclusion and that's kinda the whole point of having the discord; to be able to help people in real time more easily with specific questions. To be MORE ACCESIBLE.
I have no problem with people who just want a better keyboard and might not be into electrical engineering, case and PCB design, switchmodding, or any of that.
I think that people should ABSOLUTELY be able to go to a store and pick out the keycaps they want and have them in their hand that very day without waiting.
I don't think I've ever said to myself "gee I sure do wish these keycaps were MORE" expensive.

I don't know where you get this idea that keysets are "limited release" but that is generally not the case. Almost all group buys are, in fact, unlimited. Anyone can buy as much or as little as they want of a keyset in group buy.
I'm sorry you're mad that you have to wait so long for keycaps. That is yet another consequence of the HOBBYIST space becoming much more popular in such a short period of time. Last year, GMK contracted for 105 custom keycap sets. The year prior it was half that many and in 2018 it was like 20-something sets. They literally cannot keep up with orders, AND are still trying to catch up from the loss of production due to Covid. Despite the staggering increase in interest in custom keycaps, it is still a very tiny fraction of the business that GMK does. This just further illustrates that despite surging interest in the hobby, we are very much a relatively small community and not titans of industry.
Keyboards themselves are usually limited however, and that is just a consequence of someone trying to produce a thing, on their own, with very limited resources, and without the support of major companies. This is still very much a hobbyist space after all. But also, being a hobbyist space, there are a lot of very cool open source projects out there for people who might be interested in striking out on their own to try and produce something themselves.

But none of that is what we are actually talking about, is it? We are talking about theft. We are talking about why it's bad for the community / hobbyists / enthusiasts / and ultimately even the haters such as yourself, for companies to go out and steal the work of creators and profit from it. What incentive is there for someone to create a keyset, if it's going to get stolen/cloned and thrown up on Amazon in a lovely quality knock off set that costs half as much?

I'm a little surprised that you are actually encouraging people to go out and buy sets that are unapologetically lovely rip-offs of other's hard work.
Just... what a weird hill to die on. Advocating for IP theft and counterfeiting. For what? I get the "I want cheap plastic fast and not nice plastic slow" argument, and to an extent I agree, as do many vendors who are taking steps to make inexpensive sets available, in stock and ready to ship. But why go out of your way to specifically encourage people to support counterfeiting?

What if keyset designers were effectively discouraged from designing keysets because of this theft? Then where would these designs come from? If it's so easy to pick colors, then why aren't the rip-off companies out there making their OWN sets instead of stealing ideas from sets that haven't even completed the group buy phase?
Counterfeiting isn't a problem solely of the keyboard community either, so don't think it's just "keyboard elitists" who look down on this lovely practice. But the difference between our hobby and other industries like fashion is that we are a small disjointed amalgamation of people who have a common interest in creating things to type on rather than a consumerist driven industry where the victims of counterfeiting generally profit well enough from their legitimate sales to take action to combat the illegitimate ones. For example: Rolex alone sold $8.5 Billlion worth of merchandise last year. That's more than the entire enthusiast keycap space has ever generated combined since as long as people have been making custom keycaps.

You seem to have a real bone too pick with people who like tinkering with keyboards, and the hobby in general.
If seeing other people feel accomplishment from building and collecting metal rectangles causes you so much grief, then maybe you should just leave.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Duck and Cover posted:

figuring out a good color scheme from the colors/materials on offer, designing the legends for any novelties/the entire keyset if you're not using a font they have molds for, running the IC/groupbuy, shelling out for prototypes, etc. makes it a little more involved than "I picked two colors, I'm An Artiste". I mean it's not like every time you buy a keyset from some knockoff you're personally depriving a designer of three square meals, but look at places like HK Gaming and tell me that giving them money instead is the absolute moral choice or w/e

otoh, maybe don't argue with someone angling for what may be their third? fourth? threadban - you'd hate to deprive duck and cover of posting, the only thing he has going for him

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I got the gmmk pro sitting here, I read up on actually editing and compiling qmk in order to do 1000hz polling rate and remap rotary encoder, I put the stupid tiny bandaid slivers in the durock v2 stabilizers.

But then I saw the avx fr4 plates and now I have one more part to wait for to put it together.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Yerok posted:

I got the gmmk pro sitting here, I read up on actually editing and compiling qmk in order to do 1000hz polling rate and remap rotary encoder, I put the stupid tiny bandaid slivers in the durock v2 stabilizers.

But then I saw the avx fr4 plates and now I have one more part to wait for to put it together.

Just a heads up, lead time for my plates is at about two weeks right now, so feel free to build with one of the stock plates in the meantime! I hate making people wait, but I ended up taking a long overdue vacation and interest has been higher than expected. That said, it won't take long to put the new plate in, but if you have any questions or issues feel free to ask in here or DM me.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Gearman posted:

Just a heads up, lead time for my plates is at about two weeks right now, so feel free to build with one of the stock plates in the meantime! I hate making people wait, but I ended up taking a long overdue vacation and interest has been higher than expected. That said, it won't take long to put the new plate in, but if you have any questions or issues feel free to ask in here or DM me.

No worries, I had put in an order like a week ago and last I looked at your website was the 19th to 23rd eta for shipping so I was hoping for next weekend.

I already tried to put together my keeb with both the aluminum and poly plates from glorious and neither of them clear the durock V2s. I don't really feel like filing every single stabilizer hole on a plate that's just going to go in the trash so I'll just wait a little bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

mA posted:

I bought a Taurus K310 back in 2019 and I've actually had pretty good luck with it I guess.

The keys it shipped with have held up great and I have not had any issues.

Maybe Durgod cheap out on the Tenkeyless models? In any even the keyboard really was the '$100 Chinese special' of the week so I'm not surprised. Sorry that you got shafted :/