Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
ice cream cones? you can make them in level 2 lavatory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The one thing I always struggled with in this game is seeing players/scavs. I don't know if it is because I am getting old or if it is just the game having rather muted colors that blend into each other. Me getting killed 40% of the time (seems to be at least) is because I could not recognize that thing in the distance was something I needed to kill.

Would loving around with the color options help with this?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Mesadoram posted:

The one thing I always struggled with in this game is seeing players/scavs. I don't know if it is because I am getting old or if it is just the game having rather muted colors that blend into each other. Me getting killed 40% of the time (seems to be at least) is because I could not recognize that thing in the distance was something I needed to kill.

If you don't have the postfx stuff enabled it's definitely worth a try. If you open a raid in offline mode and go to the options there is a 'visualize' button that will make the menu GUI disappear so you can play with all the sliders in-game and choose one that makes it a bit easier to see.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Mesadoram posted:

i used to play on a TV and had this issue

switching to a proper 1440p monitor was a night and day difference

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

If you don't have the postfx stuff enabled it's definitely worth a try. If you open a raid in offline mode and go to the options there is a 'visualize' button that will make the menu GUI disappear so you can play with all the sliders in-game and choose one that makes it a bit easier to see.

That's great to know. I feel like Woods would be a great map to test that on.

rap music posted:

i used to play on a TV and had this issue

switching to a proper 1440p monitor was a night and day difference

I have a pretty good monitor with 144 refresh and I totally agree that better monitors make a HUGE difference.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Stux posted:

ice cream cones? you can make them in level 2 lavatory
I still don't have level 1 lavatory because I can't find toothpaste

local PMC absolutely unable to take a poo poo

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

IronicDongz posted:

I still don't have level 1 lavatory because I can't find toothpaste

local PMC absolutely unable to take a poo poo

I'm right there with you. I'm level 15 and at this point basically just waiting to hit twenty to but it off the flea.

Edit: fat thumbed phone posting itt

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Don't overlook stashes when it comes to those odd items you can't find. I know that's like trying to find a needle in a haystack, but sometimes it works. You can just loot so many god drat stashes and in relative safety.

For Toothpaste i'd specifically be running Woods, hitting up crates in the camps an stashes along the way.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
yeah i got stuck on toothpaste and just ran woods for a day hitting stashes and med crates

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I hit stashes all the time on every map I go on. still absolutely cannot take a dump

have gotten like 5 flash drives this wipe so far though

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
i think the big med crates are a better chance bcos of a smaller potential loot pool + more spawns per crate. thahts where i got mine anyway.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

i see tons of toiletries in the giant wooden tech crates in the fortress on customs (one on the first floor, two on the second floor)

e: and gym bags

rap music fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 16, 2021

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Duffel bags, med bags and tech crates are the keys to success

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

actually the keys to success can only be found in jackets and on scavs

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

That's the last time I try to make friends while playing a PMC!!!

https://streamable.com/hbswe0

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Pathos posted:

This wipe I’ve encountered more suspicious stuff - people finding me hiding in bushes and not moving, people knowing I was creeping up on them despite moving at the lowest speed, etc. Nothing definitive and certainly not a the pace Reddit talks about, but it’s seemed like more than last wipe.

Honestly I think a lot of that is other players having their computers and settings tweaked. When I play with my buddies they are able to hear poo poo that I can't, even sitting right next to them. Case in point, if I look around while stationary, let alone creep at low speed, I make enough noise that they can hear me.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

sinburger posted:

Honestly I think a lot of that is other players having their computers and settings tweaked. When I play with my buddies they are able to hear poo poo that I can't, even sitting right next to them. Case in point, if I look around while stationary, let alone creep at low speed, I make enough noise that they can hear me.

Definitely this. With the sound at the proper level I can hear someone creep walking 10-15m away, sprinting can be almost 50m sometimes. I can hear you ADS while I run by you in the bush

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
train your ears gamer

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not having really terrible gaming headphones or ridiculously lovely virtual surround sound also helps.

Of course, this is all dependent on the Tarkov sound engine behaving from day to day which is not the most reliable factor.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The amount of poo poo I could hear drastically changed when I actually got good headphones. A complete world of difference. Not only of what new sounds I could hear but being able to pin point where those sounds were coming from.

I look at people using little ear buds and recognize why they are playing uber chad. If they could hear what I hear, they'd play differently but also have way more success. Just being able to know where someone is lets you play in a different style.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I’ve noticed scav npcs squeezing off rounds at nothing in particular which really fucks with my Game Sense

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Got my first Tagilla kill yesterday

God drat is he scary to run into in the tunnels

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

ShowTime posted:

The amount of poo poo I could hear drastically changed when I actually got good headphones. A complete world of difference. Not only of what new sounds I could hear but being able to pin point where those sounds were coming from.

I look at people using little ear buds and recognize why they are playing uber chad. If they could hear what I hear, they'd play differently but also have way more success. Just being able to know where someone is lets you play in a different style.

Got a head set recommendation?

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Man, I hated interchange before and this wipe has done nothing to help. I’m still hunting for gas analyzers and flash drives and the past two days there must be a sale in the offices in idea and Oli. People are hiding in the corner for 20 straight minutes just waiting for you to walk in to head/eyes you

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the best way to find both of those right now is just looting lots of cabinets

e: it's finally time to poo poo

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 17, 2021

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Pikey posted:

Man, I hated interchange before and this wipe has done nothing to help. I’m still hunting for gas analyzers and flash drives and the past two days there must be a sale in the offices in idea and Oli. People are hiding in the corner for 20 straight minutes just waiting for you to walk in to head/eyes you

Almost every time I scav run on reserve I find more than 1 in filing cabinets.

Edit: Gas Analyzers

hello internet fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 17, 2021

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

scav karma has gone out the window

past 5 runs i was shot on sight, most recently with easily a million rubles in the bags :cry:

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

IronicDongz posted:

the best way to find both of those right now is just looting lots of cabinets

e: it's finally time to poo poo

Congrats brother. I got mine last night; was the sole item in the stash by giving tree on customs. I shoved it in my secure and bee-lined for an extract. Nothing else mattered.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The little prep-breathing your PMC does before chugging the vodka never ceases to get a chuckle out of me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wrr posted:

Got a head set recommendation?

For around $80, sometimes less, there's the Phillips SHP9500 which is going to be a big step up in audio quality from almost any existing gaming headset.

For a little more there's the AudioTechnica AD---X series, 500, 700, 900, 1000, 2000. They increase in price and the 900 around $150 is a sweet spot for not spending absurd money but getting really good quality.

Finally if you wanna go balls to the walls hunting for footsteps above all else, there's the Beyerdynamic DT 770 and 880 (Premium if you can get them but most places just sell the Pro line.) They go for around $150-200 depending on the store and the month. The 770 is closed back so it may be more of what you're used to from gaming headsets but it'll be a little less good for tracking sound in space around you. The 880 is semi-open and will move sounds more around you and make tracking easier but starts getting painful for many people on just how focused on treble (footsteps, et al) it is. Either way you want the 80ohm versions because your computer 3.5mm jack will probably not run the 250 and 600 ohm ones.

Three things to note; Buying much nicer, actually built for sound headphones that do not just exist to fleece gamers is gonna be a huge jump in audio quality but it's also not gonna be a magic bullet. The SHP9500 are super nice if all you've ever had are gaming headsets and you do not need to buy the $200 headset, it's not going to make you magically telepathic.

Second, if you can, buy from Amazon to make use of their return policies. Headphones are hyper subjective and particularly with the Beyerdynamics if you get them, you may find them literally painful to listen to some music or games with. You want that return policy if that happens.

Third, all three of these headsets, with the exception of the Beyer 770, are gonna be way lighter on bass than you're used to from gaming headsets. Way, way, way lighter. If you like your music with a ton of bass and you want to use these super fancy headphones for more thump-y games like DOOM or for music too (you should,) probably go with the 770 or look into other closed back gaming alternatives around $80-200. They do exist, but open backs are best for being a lurking piece of poo poo.

E: There also exists the Sennheiser 58x from Drop at $150 which a ton of people recommend for super high quality for the price open back gaming but Drop is no returns under any circumstances and Sennheiser headsets can be notoriously uncomfortable if you have a big head so I'm less happy directly recommending them.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 18, 2021

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Mesadoram posted:

The little prep-breathing your PMC does before chugging the vodka never ceases to get a chuckle out of me.

Part of the vodka drinking ritual! Just like never leaving an open bottle partially filled after you open it. тост!

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Orv posted:

For around $80, sometimes less, there's the Phillips SHP9500 which is going to be a big step up in audio quality from almost any existing gaming headset.

For a little more there's the AudioTechnica AD---X series, 500, 700, 900, 1000, 2000. They increase in price and the 900 around $150 is a sweet spot for not spending absurd money but getting really good quality.

Finally if you wanna go balls to the walls hunting for footsteps above all else, there's the Beyerdynamic DT 770 and 880 (Premium if you can get them but most places just sell the Pro line.) They go for around $150-200 depending on the store and the month. The 770 is closed back so it may be more of what you're used to from gaming headsets but it'll be a little less good for tracking sound in space around you. The 880 is semi-open and will move sounds more around you and make tracking easier but starts getting painful for many people on just how focused on treble (footsteps, et al) it is. Either way you want the 80ohm versions because your computer 3.5mm jack will probably not run the 250 and 600 ohm ones.

Three things to note; Buying much nicer, actually built for sound headphones that do not just exist to fleece gamers is gonna be a huge jump in audio quality but it's also not gonna be a magic bullet. The SHP9500 are super nice if all you've ever had are gaming headsets and you do not need to buy the $200 headset, it's not going to make you magically telepathic.

Second, if you can, buy from Amazon to make use of their return policies. Headphones are hyper subjective and particularly with the Beyerdynamics if you get them, you may find them literally painful to listen to some music or games with. You want that return policy if that happens.

Third, all three of these headsets, with the exception of the Beyer 770, are gonna be way lighter on bass than you're used to from gaming headsets. Way, way, way lighter. If you like your music with a ton of bass and you want to use these super fancy headphones for more thump-y games like DOOM or for music too (you should,) probably go with the 770 or look into other closed back gaming alternatives around $80-200. They do exist, but open backs are best for being a lurking piece of poo poo.

E: There also exists the Sennheiser 58x from Drop at $150 which a ton of people recommend for super high quality for the price open back gaming but Drop is no returns under any circumstances and Sennheiser headsets can be notoriously uncomfortable if you have a big head so I'm less happy directly recommending them.

This is an excellent write-up and I just want to throw my experience in the ring - I went ahead and bought the absurdly expensive Beyerdynamic MMX 300 gaming headset, which is $265 on Amazon compared to $150 for the 770. I really just wanted to have a headset because I'm very much not a fan of huge desk-bound microphones or those wire clip external mics.

The MMX 300s are... stupid nice. Easily, by far, the best headphones I've ever owned. I actually bought them when I started playing Tarkov because I had been having issues with my previous headphones and needed an upgrade so I decided to go absolutely bonkers and it was well worth it. Truly astounding audio experience, can't recommend Beyerdynamics enough. I loving LOVE these big rear end ear cups. Buying headphones is obviously a subjective experience that you gotta toy around with but I just wanted to let you know how much I love my Beyerdynamics, lol.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah, I should have noted; if you're upgrading to actual audio headphones you're going to have to have some kind of mic solution which your setup may not accommodate well and a few headphones do exist to counter that while still having actual quality sound.

MMX 300 and Custom Game One from Beyerdynamic are good ones. Coolermaster MH751. And the Sennheiser PC38X from Drop are the ones I would probably recommend loving with if you absolutely have to have an attached mic.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
i have a pair of k701s i use foro production but i would never want to use them in a game so i just got some hyperx things. very good imo.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Stux posted:

i have a pair of k701s i use foro production but i would never want to use them in a game so i just got some hyperx things. very good imo.

i got some hyperx whatevers on sale at best buy and they are great

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm the outlier, but I have a set of DT 1990 pros. I use them for everything, which includes gaming. I'm obviously not recommending getting a pair of $600 headphones for Tarkov or gaming, but hell, if you are gonna use them for everything else, you might as well look into them. Just don't get them if you only game.

Remember, I don't even play Tarkov right now. But when I got them I did try out Tarkov and holy poo poo, it was a world of difference. But it's honestly a world of difference with anything I'm listening to.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Wow this guy is really good! Let off a burst with his M4 and every round hit me squarely in the face. I lit him up too so he hosed off but I can still hear him blasting everything in the head eyes on the other side of the map.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

The Sennheiser HD 58x are 129 at the moment and Drop actually do returns and exchanges. I can super recommend them, you might need an amp to power them though.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Thank you all for the headphone recs! I'll start doing my shopping soon. I'm eyeing one that does not have a built in mic, like the ADX series cause they look great. I have a Blue Yeti for my desktop mic which is fantastic so I'm not worried about that.

Right now I'm just using my SoundPEATS, which is what I use for music and walking around and work purposes (these things are a excellent for being able to put one in and have comms with a coworker as we troubleshoot various parts of a transmission line or something).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stux posted:

I love how the higher end AKGs look but I got to try some 712s and just couldn't get them to sit comfortably. They had swapped, old pads and my friend doesn't treat their gear the best but it was disappointing.

That aside, HyperX is, AFAIK, the only gaming company using actually decent drivers so that's probably a good call too, they're usually under $100 unless you want the wireless or planar headsets.

Miguel Prado posted:

The Sennheiser HD 58x are 129 at the moment and Drop actually do returns and exchanges. I can super recommend them, you might need an amp to power them though.

Good to know, thanks, for that price that's an incredibly good headset.

Orv fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 18, 2021