Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Vargatron posted:

Kind of ties into the nebulous hinkaku thing a Yokozuna is supposed to have. I wish they'd dispense with some of the expectations on the higher ranks and let wrestlers actually take time off to heal. I think that kind of thing killed Kisenosato's yokozuna career. If he got his pectoral repaired he might have had a better run.

I’m imagining Kise seeing Hakuho sit out a year with nothing but a stern letter, and smacking his forehead.

D’oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Oh poo poo maybe slightly off topic but speaking of violent guys in Sumo, I just realized that Takagenji's twin brother isn't undefeated in MMA anymore, he's now 3-1 as of a fight in June, was wondering how long that was gonna last.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Marching Powder posted:

I definitely think that anyone who conflates the decrees of think tanks created to figure out how to make foreigners less violent with the opinions of all Japanese people should be called out as weirdos and people who shouldn't be posting here while holding those opinions.

However I also think that the creation of a think tank to figure out how to make foreigners less violent and then seriously considering its findings is unambiguously racist.

Racism exists in the culture of this sport. And all sports. If we want to discuss hakuho not getting honorary elder stock like other yokozuna with a fraction of his achievements got by just saying 'wow that's weird' I don't mind but obviously I'd prefer to discuss difficult topics like adults with adults.

Yeah, sure, there's something to discuss there I guess, but this

Marching Powder posted:

My understanding of Japanese racism is you are full blooded Japanese, or a savage.

You can transcend savagery and become Japanese only by bringing great status to Japan in arenas typically not associated with Japanese supremacy. NBA player Rui Hachimura pretty much said that despite being born there he has never been Japanese until the second he was drafted.

is pretty far away from discussion the vagaries of sumo "like adults."

In the end "the racism of the JSA and YDC" is a phrase like "the scandal-ridden sport of sumo." It's not particularly enlightening and not really all that accurate.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Marching Powder posted:

If we want to discuss hakuho not getting honorary elder stock like other yokozuna with a fraction of his achievements got by just saying 'wow that's weird' I don't mind but obviously I'd prefer to discuss difficult topics like adults with adults.

Not saying that can't also be racist, but I got the feeling that it wasn't an anti-Hakuho thing as much as an anti-Takanohana thing. No basis for this, just my read.

Also, Hakuho bought the Magaki kabu which had been Tokitenku's, and that made me a little sad.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Is there something that I was factually incorrect about with regards to how the racists of Japan are racist? If the racists of Japan are racist in a different way I'd like to apologise to all Japanese racists for mischaracterising how they are wrong.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I'd recommend the film Kamikaze Taxi for a commentary on Japan-born Japanese being racist towards foreign-born Japanese by a Japanese director and also a crazy Yakuza revenge film.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Marching Powder posted:

Is there something that I was factually incorrect about with regards to how the racists of Japan are racist? If the racists of Japan are racist in a different way I'd like to apologise to all Japanese racists for mischaracterising how they are wrong.

It has a 'everybody is racist but the way that the Japanese are racist is really hosed up' energy, intended or not. Like racism about them doing racism bad.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Shiroc posted:

It has a 'everybody is racist but the way that the Japanese are racist is really hosed up' energy, intended or not. Like racism about them doing racism bad.

thanks for clearing that up. i was genuinely confused why my naked contempt for racists and racism was producing weird reactions.

i can't imagine the physical pain the cognitive dissonance of being racist about racism must produce.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

respectfully though, i humbly request that in future if you're getting 'vibes' from my posts that i'm doing racism to ask a clarifying question rather than just assuming that i'm doing racism. i promise to extend to you all the same courtesy.

e: request is for 'vibes' only. if the words themselves are racist, brutally excommunicate me.

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 17, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Cheers man, I didn't really think you were doing that thing, my main concern was that the "racism in sumo" discussion is very likely to curve towards that sort of misunderstanding and lovely discourse. This thread is way better than most other sumo forums on avoiding that tendency, and I genuinely appreciate that we were all able to get to where we did on this.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

it was probably a bad idea to be flippant with my words on the subject anyway so i can take that away moving forward.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The discussions of the sumo old men occasionally feel like if the MLB Hall of Fame voters got to have active influence during a player's career instead of only afterwards. Lots of unwritten but understood rules and weird grudges for all sorts of reasons about if someone is doing the sport 'the right way'. But losing some of the ceremony and idiosyncrasy of yokozuna promotions would make them less special and too inflexible. If it was officially 'two consecutive basho wins at ozeki' then Kisenosato probably wouldn't have gotten his deserved rope since you wouldn't be able to have considered the previous year. If Hakuho beats Terunofuji on day 15, then Terunofuji doesn't get it even though he absolutely should and is the best rikishi once Hakuho retires.

It feels like for the promotions at least, it mostly works out because we usually end up only talking about guys who got 'undeserved' promotions to ozeki or yokozuna instead of people who should have but didn't.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Hakuho gonna Hakuho

THE ZENSHO-YUSHO BATTLE IS ON!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Y'all gotta watch Hakuho-Shodai. But not for the reason you might expect.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Ura passed Hakuho just as he was about to come out to his cushion. Maybe he was inspired?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I’m so excited about tomorrow holy poo poo

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
On one hand I love Terunofuji and him winning would be real cool but also Hakuho finishing out his last tournament with a zenshoyusho would be the absolutely perfect ending to the GOAT’s career. Win and ride off into the sunset. If Terunofuji already has his Yokozuna nod, I’d love to see Hakuho win.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i am genuinely shocked that it worked out like this. teams of writers couldn't have come up with something this dramatic because it wouldn't have been plausible.

i love that i am a fan of this sport.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Alright so if I’m east coast US and wanna watch it live what time am I shooting for

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Omnikin posted:

Alright so if I’m east coast US and wanna watch it live what time am I shooting for

You wanna be up by 430am EST I believe

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yes!!! Yes yes yes! The finale tomorrow is going to be the stuff of legends.

That slap on Shodai... WHAP! Very very telling that Hakuho stepped way back. He clearly thinks little of Shodai and anticipated a potential sidestep since he's about to hit kadobaan.

I see a lot of chatter elsewhere that apparently Terunofuji has sealed the yokozuna promotion with today's win, no solid sources and it's all hearsay but it's popping up in a couple of different places such as discord and commentary for nattosumo and chris sumo.
For Terunofuji's current record over this basho and the last two, it would be absolutely unprecedented NOT to get it. Let's see what happens tomorrow!

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 17, 2021

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What's the equivalent of a bat flip in sumo? An extra shove to an opponent once they're out of the ring?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Devs please nerf

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Vargatron posted:

What's the equivalent of a bat flip in sumo? An extra shove to an opponent once they're out of the ring?

Depends on the culture. I've heard bat flips are rude in some cultures and rad celebrations in others. So my guess would be the way you move your hand over the money pile on the gyoji paddle.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I hear they're gonna start the sponsor banners like two hours before the finale heh

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Go Terunofuji!

But also, go Hakuho!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The last time there was a final day bout between two 14-0 rikishi was nine years ago

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query_bout.aspx?show_form=0&wins1=14&winsopt1=1&east1=on&wins2=14&winsopt2=1

Sumo is good.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I've now watched Sumo for a little over a year and this tournament has been the most exciting. Ura, Hak and Teru, interesting matches with Hokutofuji etc.. it's just been fantastic. If I had nails left I'd be biting them during every Terunofuji match.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Well, on the plus side, I'm up to my total from last basho with a day left, so maybe I won't end up in juryo yet.

Exceedingly hype for tomorrow, gonna be legendary match, even if it's one last cheeky henka.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The crowd gasp when Hakuho set up for the tachiai at the tawara was great. Glad that the dream scenario involved Shodai getting the poo poo slapped out of him multiple times.

I think Teruno gets it done tomorrow. He’s been so dominant physically this basho and Hak has been relying a lot on tactics. The henka possibility is always there but I don’t think it will happen. Maybe if this match was closer to the elder stock controversy.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I NEED a Meisei KK on the final day!!! Not quite sure if I'm on an Ozeki run in fantasy sumo, but I'm pleased with my stable's second week performance!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

My heart will be cheering teru along to start a new era with a monumental accomplishment, but I think hakuho needs to win this for a variety of reasons, and even with a body held together by hope I think he'll show teru the level he will need to rise to at some point in the future.

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
by far the most entertaining basho i've seen in my 10 months of watching sumo.

hakuho slaps and i love him for it.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
17:55-18:00ish in Kintamayama's video and Hakuho does the very old-timey "I'm moving this hand but gonna pop you with THIS one" move and I loving love it

and if Shoudai's right foot is an inch forward he beats Hakuho there. Game of inches

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 17, 2021

Takuan
May 6, 2007

This is my first time following sumo and I've really been getting into it. I understand there's special drama in this tournament due to the last glorious ride(though maybe not!) of an all-time great with Hakuhoand the rise of a new top guy in Terunofuji, but putting those to the side how does this tournament compare to the average in terms of overall entertainment? Trying to figure out how to set my expectations going forward.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shiroc posted:

The discussions of the sumo old men occasionally feel like if the MLB Hall of Fame voters got to have active influence during a player's career instead of only afterwards. Lots of unwritten but understood rules and weird grudges for all sorts of reasons about if someone is doing the sport 'the right way'. But losing some of the ceremony and idiosyncrasy of yokozuna promotions would make them less special and too inflexible. If it was officially 'two consecutive basho wins at ozeki' then Kisenosato probably wouldn't have gotten his deserved rope since you wouldn't be able to have considered the previous year. If Hakuho beats Terunofuji on day 15, then Terunofuji doesn't get it even though he absolutely should and is the best rikishi once Hakuho retires.

It feels like for the promotions at least, it mostly works out because we usually end up only talking about guys who got 'undeserved' promotions to ozeki or yokozuna instead of people who should have but didn't.

I'm now imagining all the old sports writers having an effect on a guys career like that and yeah it looks like Sumo.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

That Hakuho-Shodai match was incredible. I gasped along with the crowd when I saw him line up all the way at the edge.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Takuan posted:

This is my first time following sumo and I've really been getting into it. I understand there's special drama in this tournament due to the last glorious ride(though maybe not!) of an all-time great with Hakuhoand the rise of a new top guy in Terunofuji, but putting those to the side how does this tournament compare to the average in terms of overall entertainment? Trying to figure out how to set my expectations going forward.

There's no such thing as a boring basho, the ranking system means there's always going to be winners and losers, and it is a fool's errand trying to predict any of it. The last year or so alone has seen multiple instances of the lowest ranked maegashira win the yusho. Half the time the yusho winner is somebody you weren't expecting at all.

This basho has been great becaus it's a bit like the old days where there were multiple titans at once, something we've not had in a while because both Hakuho and Kakuryu (now retired) were out for an extremely long time.

At one point we had four yokozuna at once. Crazy times.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Shodai looked like Plus Sized Tobizaru out there - absolutely out of his element without even a basic plan of engagement. I could practically hear Hakuho during the fight. "I ask for an Ozeki and you send me THIS?! This is a chew toy."

Best possible ending to this basho IMO: Hakuho henkas Teru, takes the zensho yusho, and speaks not a single word about retirement. Teru gets the rope, because of course he does. Hak does the dohyo-iri at the Olympics, then announces his retirement, cementing his place as an enigma: the greatest ever, leaving at the top of his game, but with his last win one of the greatest henkas of all time. They have to draft Teru to do a dohyo-iri for the closing ceremony.

I'll pretty much be happy no matter what, though. It's been an amazing two weeks of sumo. And my team is doing WAY better than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce3ZjjyezUU