Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

orange juche posted:

They're hosed. They're probably a british citizen which means the government is going to be out to gently caress them up.

They're a servicemember too. They're going to Forever Gaol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

They're a servicemember too. They're going to Forever Gaol.

Tankers aren't the brightest bunch.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

orange juche posted:

Tankers aren't the brightest bunch.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The specific complaint the player had, that he used classified docs to prove, was some seriously nitpicky sounding stuff.

quote:

Apparently, the gap between base turret structure and the armour array on the tank’s frontal projection is too wide, and the user posted documentation meant to show that the gap on the real tank is much narrower. In short, the claim is that the Challenger 2’s mantlet (or armour housing around the main gun), is modeled incorrectly in War Thunder.

I don’t know anything about War Thunder but it sounds like a tiny gripe about the in-game model. I can’t imagine it has any actual ramifications for active gameplay?

They’re going to lose a lot in life over an in-game model being a tiny bit wrong.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
War Thunder relatively accurately models armour thickness, penetration, and shell deflection, so it technically does have potential ramifications for gameplay... assuming one of your tank shells actually *hits* that gap.

This is a really small gap to hit at a really bizarre angle though -- you'd need to land a shell in the turret joint, straight on, basically skimming the surface of the tank body. It's been a while since I've played War Thunder but realistically this dude just got himself a significant prison sentence because of one slightly inaccurate tank explosion out of thousands and thousands of games he's played.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Lmao he tanked his career :dadjoke:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The fake “DECLASSIFIED” stamp is the cherry on top. :discourse:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That's gonna happen more and more as the game is slowly catching up with present-day stuff lol

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Torrannor posted:

Do you want to know what happens when you open completely? The Netherlands has you covered:

https://twitter.com/YorickB/status/1416070122226266115

https://twitter.com/YorickB/status/1416070128060571657

The whole tweet chain (9 posts) is worth reading, it's absolutely insane.

12,000 new cases in the Netherlands, 50,000 in Spain, 52,000 in the UK, USA's ramping up again as well with 40,000.
We're only at 1,500 cases over here, but give us two more weeks, I'm pretty sure we'll be in the 20,000 range as well.

I cannot fathom the rage and frustration of health care workers in countries that are all OPEN 'ER UP. They got to have a breather for like a month and a half and now they're being put right back into poo poo-hell

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Torrannor posted:

Do you want to know what happens when you open completely? The Netherlands has you covered:

https://twitter.com/YorickB/status/1416070122226266115

https://twitter.com/YorickB/status/1416070128060571657

The whole tweet chain (9 posts) is worth reading, it's absolutely insane.

We’ve seen that map before the illusion has been explained:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Woah what's that from?

Icon Of Sin posted:

Lmao he tanked his career :dadjoke:

lol

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

RIP 2 a real 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7CkBQoM7DI

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

orange juche posted:

They're hosed. They're probably a british citizen which means the government is going to be out to gently caress them up.

They're a Challenger 2 tank commander, supposedly

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

They were a Challenger 2 tank commander, supposedly

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

If the IDR-saga has taught me anything, it's to not believe anything posters posing as vets online say about their occupation.

I fully assume the guy's some file-clerk in an armored unit with access to tech specs or somesuch

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
The warthunder thing reminded me, whatever happened to the guy who leaked a bunch of stuff about the UK's sub fleet?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

To be fair to the tanker: What are these guys shooting at? I see one crewman briefly, but it doesn't look like they could hit him from down there.

Wouldn't you rather fully disable the vehicle than take potshots at something that can speed away from you quickly and turn the coax on your little fire team? Unless they popped a grenade in the turret and they are suppressing the crew here.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

To be fair to the tanker: What are these guys shooting at? I see one crewman briefly, but it doesn't look like they could hit him from down there.

Wouldn't you rather fully disable the vehicle than take potshots at something that can speed away from you quickly and turn the coax on your little fire team?

The guy with a UA baseball cap in the last image is crouching and able to touch the treads, I assume the point of the exercise is “tag you’re immobile” to simulate that guy placing a satchel charge or whatever

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

The guy with a UA baseball cap in the last image is crouching and able to touch the treads, I assume the point of the exercise is “tag you’re immobile” to simulate that guy placing a satchel charge or whatever

That makes more sense. Still figure you'd just disable the vehicle and leave.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lol

So if you’re not a Linux nerd he just word-saladed every privacy focused smartphone android fork. Graphene OS at least compared to Lineage, which to my knowledge is the only really remotely mature one, is only supported for specific Pixel phones and from what I’ve heard runs like poo poo on unsupported hardware.

I’ve heard elsewhere that the hardware for the freedom phone is just a super cheap Samsung like clone anyone can buy on alibaba marked up about 4 times so there’s no way it isn’t just bog-standard android with Parler and maybe some extra spyware pre loaded, or in the unlikely event they actually stole code from serious privacy phone projects, will be borderline unusable.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Lol

So if you’re not a Linux nerd he just word-saladed every privacy focused smartphone android fork. Graphene OS at least compared to Lineage, which to my knowledge is the only really remotely mature one, is only supported for specific Pixel phones and from what I’ve heard runs like poo poo on unsupported hardware.

I’ve heard elsewhere that the hardware for the freedom phone is just a super cheap Samsung like clone anyone can buy on alibaba marked up about 4 times so there’s no way it isn’t just bog-standard android with Parler and maybe some extra spyware pre loaded, or in the unlikely event they actually stole code from serious privacy phone projects, will be borderline unusable.

Something you don't realize until you use a secure or privacy oriented phone OS is that basically everything we do with them is a bad idea and doesn't work on a platform designed to keep you safe

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I think it’s pretty possible keep a decent amount of privacy unless you’re like an investigative journalist or political activist but it’s inconvenient and time consuming, enough that I and I imagine 99% of people haven’t bothered except for the most basic steps.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Basically: They are overtly stealing from these groups to make a really lovely OS.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I don’t think they’re actually stealing code, that would be more work than just saying they did.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

/\/\/\ this. You can't just smoosh code from various projects together and have it work

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I think it’s pretty possible keep a decent amount of privacy unless you’re like an investigative journalist or political activist but it’s inconvenient and time consuming, enough that I and I imagine 99% of people haven’t bothered except for the most basic steps.

Its totally possible, but if you get an OS built for it you will discover they removed basic things because of the vulnerabilities in it. You can't do a whole lot other than call, text, and run your auth tokens, which most people are surprised to find is a subset of what they use their phones for.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
They aren't stealing anything. It's a straight up ali baba dropshipped chinese phone with a patriotic theme and preloaded spyware that they make $370 in profit per unit.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

As Nero Danced posted:

The warthunder thing reminded me, whatever happened to the guy who leaked a bunch of stuff about the UK's sub fleet?

Stuff? He didn't leak anything of note. All his complaints boiled down to "it didn't feel very safe", ignoring that that's the reality of a warship underway. It was crazy, crazy shif too. He was complaining that there were trainees filling out their task books, and that rubbish was being kept onboard. I'd expect he very quietly got the boot.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1416381020950106119?s=19

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mr. Nice! posted:

They aren't stealing anything. It's a straight up ali baba dropshipped chinese phone with a patriotic theme and preloaded spyware that they make $370 in profit per unit.

I mean “stealing” code from FOSS projects like Graphene not in the legal sense, but as others are saying it’s unlikely they’re even doing that, but they are just implying it to piggyback on the reputation more credible projects have.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Who the gently caress approved a public official visiting an old folks home during a pandemic? The grim reaper.pomitical cartoons write themselves

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grip it and rip it posted:

Who the gently caress approved a public official visiting an old folks home during a pandemic? The grim reaper.pomitical cartoons write themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3NAx3tsy-k

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Grip it and rip it posted:

I feel absolutely certain that this is exactly how bojo caught it too

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1416459261752889346

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

He thinks it makes him relatable to the kids.

https://twitter.com/jairbolsonaro/status/1329113457694830597

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Kickass

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1416460321628332034?s=19

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Despite olds being pretty much 100% vaccinated, it seems they somehow missed the repeated reports over the last two months that even vaccinated folks can catch and transmit the delta-variant.

For the thousandth time, I tell myself "we live in the dumbest timeline".

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I forget where I saw it, but I agree - we need to have a serious rethink of the phrase "avoid it like the plague"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I forget where I saw it, but I agree - we need to have a serious rethink of the phrase "avoid it like the plague"

https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/1271267475963838467

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kazinsal posted:

War Thunder relatively accurately models armour thickness, penetration, and shell deflection, so it technically does have potential ramifications for gameplay... assuming one of your tank shells actually *hits* that gap.

This is a really small gap to hit at a really bizarre angle though -- you'd need to land a shell in the turret joint, straight on, basically skimming the surface of the tank body. It's been a while since I've played War Thunder but realistically this dude just got himself a significant prison sentence because of one slightly inaccurate tank explosion out of thousands and thousands of games he's played.

People do memorize weak points against every tank so theoretically if the gap is wide enough skilled players could aim for the gap especially if they're engaging from the front because there's nothing really else you can shoot at.

I mean you're probably right but players do forgo full ammo loads to have empty turret storage because popping side turrets is easy as heck to do so who knows if the shot trap matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Gaamuk/status/1415939010669649920?s=20

The guy who took this photo was killed in Afghanistan, Taliban handed over his body to the Red Cross :(