Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SirLeigh posted:

I moved to Northern California (SF) last year from North Carolina. -- I used to do a lot of XC riding a few years ago, but there are significantly more options for trail types out here.

That being said, I'm stuck between deciding to get a Yeti SB100 or a Santa Cruz Tallboy. Price is about the same all things considered.

Do any of you like or dislike either of the bikes for a particular reason?

I wouldn't want to deal with the headache of caring for the Yeti infinity link personally. It's a complicated thing that can get grit into it, isn't super accessible to clean, expensive to replace, etc. They're both fantastic brands and both would be amazing bikes but the tallboy seems less stressful to own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

VelociBacon posted:

I wouldn't want to deal with the headache of caring for the Yeti infinity link personally. It's a complicated thing that can get grit into it, isn't super accessible to clean, expensive to replace, etc. They're both fantastic brands and both would be amazing bikes but the tallboy seems less stressful to own.

Agree with this. The SB100 had some issues with the Switch hardware and shock bushings when it first came out, but I think they’ve been addressed. It still seems needlessly complicated for a 100mm bike. It will definitely be lighter and feel sportier than the Tallboy, which will probably feel more “solid” and stable. Unless you’re racing XC often, I’d probably lean Tallboy.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Although good luck ever buying any Santa Cruz model ever

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

Eejit posted:

Luckily I can get a 2022 now, it will just take a few months to get it. So I have some time to make sure it's what I want.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

My riding is mostly technical blacks/double blacks where I'm not actually travelling all that quickly and putting all that stuff on made me not want to go ride at all.

Beauty thanks. I think that's where my thoughts lie. I think he brain-farted off a rock roll and landed hard on his arm/side, but still kind of has me freaked a bit. I'll pick up a pressure suit just to have and wear on days I'm feeling spicier but it's unlikely I'll wear it every day.
Either way I think I'm one big crash from throwing my bike in the garbage and never riding again.

In other news, I'm renting a Norco Sight in Squamish this weekend and giving it a try. Norco doesn't have any for demo so I gotta rent. I gave the new Range fitted with AXS gear a parking lot try-out yesterday. Absolutely nuts. Felt like I was in the Bat-Bike. Bikes have gone looney.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If you’re looking more for an XC race bike, the new Blur would be something to compare to the SB100. Tallboy probably better as an all round trail bike.

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

vikingstrike posted:

If you’re looking more for an XC race bike, the new Blur would be something to compare to the SB100. Tallboy probably better as an all round trail bike.

Yeah, I'm thinking I might need a little more travel out here. I don't plan on racing, I don't have the time to train for it these days.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

You are on month 7 of waiting?

E: Rode at 5:30 am (Dakota/Mathew Winters), worked 7:30 - 4:30, Rode at 5:30 pm (Floyd). The riding was great, the work was not.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If you check regularly, Wheat Ridge Cyclery and University Bikes in Boulder have been getting a decent run of SC bikes.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

stratdax posted:

Beauty thanks. I think that's where my thoughts lie. I think he brain-farted off a rock roll and landed hard on his arm/side, but still kind of has me freaked a bit. I'll pick up a pressure suit just to have and wear on days I'm feeling spicier but it's unlikely I'll wear it every day.
Either way I think I'm one big crash from throwing my bike in the garbage and never riding again.

In other news, I'm renting a Norco Sight in Squamish this weekend and giving it a try. Norco doesn't have any for demo so I gotta rent. I gave the new Range fitted with AXS gear a parking lot try-out yesterday. Absolutely nuts. Felt like I was in the Bat-Bike. Bikes have gone looney.

I have a 2020 sight and love it, would be curious about trying the new Range but I find for my riding the 160mm is a good for most riding. It seems like most places have no demo fleets due to the crazy shortages which kind of sucks.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

VelociBacon posted:

To me this seems more likely your tire pressures were appropriate for pavement, gravel, etc and not loose mud, and probably also only downhill or DH mud tires are going to perform well in those conditions. Nobody measures their tread but if you take a photo we can give our dumb opinion on it.

Somehow this hadn't even fully occurred to me, thanks. I got a chance to swing by the LBS today and take a peek at similar XC tires and yeah, I think my brain is just used to old/super-knobby tires, so more streamlined XC stuff these days look 'low' relatively. It's on my TODO list to go tubeless as well, which will give me a bit more confidence in letting a bit more air out of the tires.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Thanks for the advice on 29er for my and 27.5" for partner. Any particular brands yall recommend to look out for? We're budgeting around $500/bike and looking used probably. I know of big brand names like trek and giant but not sure on models or if there are other brands to look out for.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

creatine posted:

Thanks for the advice on 29er for my and 27.5" for partner. Any particular brands yall recommend to look out for? We're budgeting around $500/bike and looking used probably. I know of big brand names like trek and giant but not sure on models or if there are other brands to look out for.

You're at the mercy of a very crazy market right now. That price point may be very rough to find anything at all decent, unfortunately.

You're gonna be looking at hard tails (front suspension, no rear). Anything with an air fork and 100-140mm travel is probably good enough to get you going. New bike geometry and sizing is much different than older bikes (since you may be forced to buy something older) often with a new Large being an XL sized older bike. They've gotten bigger and longer so ride them and see how they feel and maybe don't discount an older bike that's a bigger size. Partner bike may have better luck because that size is probably in less demand.

There's a billion brands, feel free to link stuff in here with what you're considering. Trek, giant and specialized are big in the US but there's plenty of other great brands that may or may not be available used.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Suburban Dad posted:

You're at the mercy of a very crazy market right now. That price point may be very rough to find anything at all decent, unfortunately.

You're gonna be looking at hard tails (front suspension, no rear). Anything with an air fork and 100-140mm travel is probably good enough to get you going. New bike geometry and sizing is much different than older bikes (since you may be forced to buy something older) often with a new Large being an XL sized older bike. They've gotten bigger and longer so ride them and see how they feel and maybe don't discount an older bike that's a bigger size. Partner bike may have better luck because that size is probably in less demand.

There's a billion brands, feel free to link stuff in here with what you're considering. Trek, giant and specialized are big in the US but there's plenty of other great brands that may or may not be available used.

Great, thanks! I didn't realize the bike market is that crazy right now. Is it from Covid and everyone buying bikes because of it?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Yes.

Not much else to do so tons of people are trying cycling.

Also nobody can get parts. By nobody I mean Giant right now is waiting over 500 days for the Suntour coil forks that they and everyone else put on their sub 1k MTBs.

Also apparently the entire planet is out of 160mm 6 bolt rotors.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
a big cycling boom combined with a lack of raw resources and worldwide logisticals problems really hosed up the cycling market, yeah.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

EvilJoven posted:

Yes.

Not much else to do so tons of people are trying cycling.

Also nobody can get parts. By nobody I mean Giant right now is waiting over 500 days for the Suntour coil forks that they and everyone else put on their sub 1k MTBs.

Also apparently the entire planet is out of 160mm 6 bolt rotors.

Universal Cycles appears to have a lot.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

You are on month 7 of waiting?

E: Rode at 5:30 am (Dakota/Mathew Winters), worked 7:30 - 4:30, Rode at 5:30 pm (Floyd). The riding was great, the work was not.

Yeh

But Moab/Fruita better watch out when I finally get my whip in September (2023)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Cuntpunch posted:

Somehow this hadn't even fully occurred to me, thanks. I got a chance to swing by the LBS today and take a peek at similar XC tires and yeah, I think my brain is just used to old/super-knobby tires, so more streamlined XC stuff these days look 'low' relatively. It's on my TODO list to go tubeless as well, which will give me a bit more confidence in letting a bit more air out of the tires.

XC tires are really sensitive to pressure, and the grip falls off quite a bit before they really look worn because they lose all the sharp edges on the knobs. I have some really fast/light tires that became pretty much unrideable despite still looking pretty good. I also use lower pressure in my 2.25 xc tires compared to like my 2.3 dhf, because the dhf generates more cornering force and needs more to stay supported. So try lower, I weigh like 160lbs and am at 20-21psi on my gauge. 2.25 vittoria barzo/mezcal combo on 30mm wide wheels.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

vikingstrike posted:

Universal Cycles appears to have a lot.

That's probably because they booked a truckload of the things a year ago and they're sitting on a rack in their warehouse. That doesn't help the shop I work for or any of the other shops globally that can't get any right now.

But ya I guess if we wanted to pay retail we could scrounge some but nuts to that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

stratdax posted:

Speaking of rock rolls, I finally rode the big rock face section of Captain Safety (youtube link) at Whistler a few weeks ago. It's not so bad but looks fairly intimidating.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

EvilJoven posted:

That's probably because they booked a truckload of the things a year ago and they're sitting on a rack in their warehouse. That doesn't help the shop I work for or any of the other shops globally that can't get any right now.

But ya I guess if we wanted to pay retail we could scrounge some but nuts to that.

Sure -- but you're overstating the problem. Not every one is a bike shop or a bike brand. Lots of folks here would just be ordering parts online at retail.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

jamal posted:

XC tires are really sensitive to pressure, and the grip falls off quite a bit before they really look worn because they lose all the sharp edges on the knobs. I have some really fast/light tires that became pretty much unrideable despite still looking pretty good. I also use lower pressure in my 2.25 xc tires compared to like my 2.3 dhf, because the dhf generates more cornering force and needs more to stay supported. So try lower, I weigh like 160lbs and am at 20-21psi on my gauge. 2.25 vittoria barzo/mezcal combo on 30mm wide wheels.

poo poo, I weigh 180 and run 17 front 19 rear on my xc tires most of the time (Spesh Ground Control/FastTrak).

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Semi related to armour chat above, is it worth getting a full face helmet for resort riding if I’m only doing it maybe 10 days a year? I’m close enough to Panorama and Fernie that I’ll probably start popping over there for some weekend trips. A full face helmet seems to run like 300-400 at my LBS though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Semi related to armour chat above, is it worth getting a full face helmet for resort riding if I’m only doing it maybe 10 days a year? I’m close enough to Panorama and Fernie that I’ll probably start popping over there for some weekend trips. A full face helmet seems to run like 300-400 at my LBS though.

Yes, 100% worth it. You're way more likely to need it if you're only riding that often. It shouldn't even be a second thought - I don't ride park without a full face. I got my fox rampage whatever for I think less than $200 so I think you can find better deals somewhere.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

[quote="Braincloud" post="516208666"]
Mammoth Mountain

Some days I miss living there.

How is Brekenridge bike park?

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 17, 2021

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Yes, 100% worth it. You're way more likely to need it if you're only riding that often. It shouldn't even be a second thought - I don't ride park without a full face. I got my fox rampage whatever for I think less than $200 so I think you can find better deals somewhere.

Fox Rampage here is $250 (CAD), I found a coupon for POC so I'm going to order a bright pink Coron Air from them cause I like the colour and it's going to work out to not much more. Thanks for the advice! Coincidentally one of my friends just sent me a picture of the aftermath of her ride a Silver Star this week where her full-face saved her full face. Good enough reason for me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fox Rampage here is $250 (CAD), I found a coupon for POC so I'm going to order a bright pink Coron Air from them cause I like the colour and it's going to work out to not much more. Thanks for the advice! Coincidentally one of my friends just sent me a picture of the aftermath of her ride a Silver Star this week where her full-face saved her full face. Good enough reason for me.

https://imgur.com/a/FfZ75cr

I absolutely would have plowed my face into this rock. Helmet is fairly scratched up from this, it can happen at any speed at any weird place you'd never expect to crash.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I saw enough crash videos of people dragging their chins across rocks to get a full face before going to a DH park and it definitely saved my teeth when I binned it and OTB onto my face and shoulder.

Originally ordered the POC but even their largest size wouldn't fit my giant watermelon head. The only thing I found that fit is the fox proframe which served well and lasted a whole day before I destroyed it. No Concussion either. They don't have a crash replacement program other than 30% off a new one.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ropes4u posted:

How is Brekenridge bike park?

Breck would be way down my list. Better to pedal in breck or do the free bus shuttle.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Wheelers to CT to Miners Creek is fun. There’s lots of good stuff in Breck.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Speaking of rock rolls, I finally rode the big rock face section of Captain Safety (youtube link) at Whistler a few weeks ago. It's not so bad but looks fairly intimidating.

Sick! I've never ridden captain safety, but that looks like a great trail. I don't spend enough time in the bike park. :(

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

vikingstrike posted:

That is not really part of the Bike Park though.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Gotta love when a thread in the local MTB FB group gets deleted because I called someone out for trying to rules lawyer their way out of having to obey a popular trail being closed due to forest fire risk and apparently one of the admins is also a 'dont tell me what to do I'll go where I want' idiot.

I hope that place doesn't burn it's a pretty cool loop.

Oh well, the trails at North Gate where I'm going this weekend are all open and apparently they made em even better.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

29'ers go over roots that would really knock around a 26" tire.

They're pretty great. They roll well and they're less twitchy.

Now, if you're worried about impact and loving up rims/breaking spokes, 26/27.5 may be a better consideration due to a stronger wheel.

Still, I'd go with a 29'er. They're pretty bitchin'.
Rear 29's not great for going down (sanding your butthole with DH knobs isn't my cuppa). To me 27vs29 is always a flow vs agility/taking hits. For flowy poo poo, xc and trails with mostly small hits it's great. For hucking, trial-leaning areas and big fast hits I prefer 27

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Steve French posted:

What did you wish you knew before the first time you raced one?
Toolkit, plan your refills.

Buy a full face on your third day you're spending most of your time pointed down. I wear a convertible most of the time because my face's already ugly enough (and a legit full face for lift days).

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

spwrozek posted:

That is not really part of the Bike Park though.

Then what did you mean by “pedal in breck”? Im quite aware it’s not the bike park and would instead be a fun day of trails from town instead.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

vikingstrike posted:

Thank you I will look into it.

spwrozek posted:

Breck would be way down my list. Better to pedal in breck or do the free bus shuttle.

Thank you

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

vikingstrike posted:

Then what did you mean by “pedal in breck”? Im quite aware it’s not the bike park and would instead be a fun day of trails from town instead.

Totally agree. Pedaling in Breck (or the bus hack) is the only way to go.

I would call your route a brutal fun day though. In a good way. I didn't realize you were responding to me and not the OP is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

spwrozek posted:

Totally agree. Pedaling in Breck (or the bus hack) is the only way to go.

I would call your route a brutal fun day though. In a good way. I didn't realize you were responding to me and not the OP is all.

Ah, gotcha. Sorry for the misread. We’re on the same page.

Yeah, certainly a big day. But its some great trail with amazing views. Bring food and a jacket:)