Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Also I have a FODMAP thing and it means that almost all fruits are off-limits, and im pretty sure my next vitamin bloods are gonna turn up that im deficient in many different things. It also means I gotta avoid garlic and onions and jesus loving christ those are in everything :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I hate how that phrase has been co-opted by people who refuse to make any effort whatsoever. "I could buy my jewelry made entirely by a local artist and pay them directly, but Amazon Prime is offering free shipping on their stuff made by exploited workers. These choices are exactly the same, since after all, no ethical consumption!"

The release valve that solves all posturing internet garbagebabys' cognitive dissonance

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

alexandriao posted:

Also I have a FODMAP thing and it means that almost all fruits are off-limits, and im pretty sure my next vitamin bloods are gonna turn up that im deficient in many different things. It also means I gotta avoid garlic and onions and jesus loving christ those are in everything :qq:

A lot of fruits are but you can still have citrus fruits and berries. My husband eats low FODMAP and the only fruit he really misses are apples.

The garlic and onion stuff is a drag. I make all of our ketchup, pasta sauce, etc from scratch to avoid those. I grew garlic chives this year and when added at the end of cooking they bring some of those flavors that we’ve been missing.

My PHUO is that people should try to make their own ketchup at least once. It’s kind of fun and you can make fancy kinds.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
PHUO: I hate cooking.

It's boring and, especially when you are living with people, it means that you have to do a very personal thing in front of people and you are both often getting in each others way as you try to eat/cook.

It also has a very high percentile chance of loving up and making something completely inedible.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Being good at cooking to the point of being The Family Cook, the one people call when someone needs food for whatever reason, feels like being a God among ants. I practiced at it like someone training for the Olympics because it's literally the only thing I've ever been decent at.

Cooking is a lot like being super into games or woodworking or something but you get delicious food out of it. The best hobby.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why don't you just cook for eachother. Then you can improve your kitchen skills and confidence and not step on each other's toes in the kitchen.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Its based from WW2, where the story goes that bombers would come back to base with hits in those locations. The obvious idea is to armour those points, since they're being hit more often.

The story is more or less true, but the actual famous plane photo is just a demonstration. The dots are random.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Why don't you just cook for eachother. Then you can improve your kitchen skills and confidence and not step on each other's toes in the kitchen.
That's what I do with my fiance and my Dad. Teaching people to cook is even better than cooking yourself. Sharing the experience with people you love is even more exciting than getting it right yourself. Watching someone taste food they made and are proud of, seeing them be happy about something they didn't think they could make is great. Hearing them say it was easy and they enjoyed doing it and seeing them become confident cooking alone is better than anything.

I wish I was good at something like teaching. I think watching people learn something is the best part of life.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

PHUO: I hate cooking.

It's boring and, especially when you are living with people, it means that you have to do a very personal thing in front of people and you are both often getting in each others way as you try to eat/cook.

It also has a very high percentile chance of loving up and making something completely inedible.

Not if you make stews. You cannot gently caress up a stew. Also people who say this ime tend not to have learned to test stuff and develop their instincts during cooking

Here's a super simple stew recipe:

cook meat. add tinned tomatoes and whatever spices (thyme, rosemary, paprika, and cumin are a good starter blend) -- with spices sometimes less is more but you can taste halfway through cooking. Add some vegetables, literally whatever you want that you think might taste nice, boil it down to reduce it a bit. done.

pasta is "cook until soft", you literally cannot go wrong.

rice is a bit more involved but the secret is to double the water to the rice, so 1 cup of rice means 2 cups of water. wash it first (until the water is as clear as you want), boil until the water is as near to gone as can be and then turn it off the heat and leave it for like 10 minutes just sitting there. Don't take the lid off, turn it down if it starts bubbling over, etc.

The cool thing about rice is you can dump frozen vegetables, tumeric, and some spices into it and all you really have to keep an eye on is the rice.

Literally don't bother with pastries, it's like 90% work for 20% of a meal.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 03:56 on Jul 17, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

There is also a wealth of cooking shows on youtube. You Suck At Cooking is gimmicky but super accessible, then you have people like Babish that help you develop your skills, and Alvin Zhou that go the extra mile

For the first time ever in history we can literally ask "how does someone do X" and watch a video of someone doing it rather than having to seek out an expert and beg to look over their shoulder. It's worth it friendo :kimchi:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

alexandriao posted:

Literally don't bother with pastries, it's like 90% work for 20% of a meal.

I feel attacked. As a former Pastry chef, you have no idea. The amount of work,effort, and planning put into some pastries is bullshit vs what you actually get.

Anyways Babish sucks, just watch Jacques Pepin

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

The only fun method of cooking is the bbq, since you get to be outside.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can cook anything outside with enough courage.

https://youtu.be/eISr0vQhRhc

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cooking sucks unless you have a household to divide up the steps with. Having to plan, procure, prepare, actually cook, and then clean even for just yourself is a loving bullshit amount of work unless you make it a hobby unto itself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Joburg posted:

My PHUO is that people should try to make their own ketchup at least once. It’s kind of fun and you can make fancy kinds.

Chili ketchup is so good.

Here’s a video where the host makes some, but I can buy bottles of the stuff where I live.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
cooking is great because there's a built-in reward at the end of the process as well as an incentive to git gud

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

christmas boots posted:

cooking is great because there's a built-in reward at the end of the process as well as an incentive to git gud

Yeah but I can spent 1/10th the effort and slap something in the microwave for a reward thats 95% as tasty.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Several reasons; 1) I have anxiety about "being in the way" for a very long time. 2) Different dietary requirements. 3) I make and buy poo poo.

I make food that I know only I feel good about eating, because I know, with absolute certainty, that no other fucker will enjoy it. Trying to make vegan mince into chili is bad enough, trying to make it into "good" chili may be beyond my limited capabilities.

I've got my slow cooker, but I wanted to make stuff that was vegan and there is not a lot of that available for stews.

Also with spices? You could have just said "star anise, five-spice and rosemary" I do not know the first bastard thing about them, not even how they are "supposed" to taste in food/ what they go with.

I've got a rice cooker to, but It hasn't produced too much good stuff as of late. I'll give it a poke and see what I can do.

Agreed on pastries.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Having a shared kitchen with housemates that aren't close friends, rather than partners or family that you actually share meals with, makes the whole process a lot less good. I'm with Josef there.

I really lucked out with my last set of roomies. We didn't know each other beforehand but clicked very well so there wasn't "who ate the last two eggs? Those were my eggs!" bullshit. Other than special occasion food for people's anniversaries and stuff, the fridge and pantry were communal and we all just got stuff as we could contribute.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 13:14 on Jul 17, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

I feel attacked. As a former Pastry chef, you have no idea. The amount of work,effort, and planning put into some pastries is bullshit vs what you actually get.

Anyways Babish sucks, just watch Jacques Pepin

Yeah, honestly I feel this extends to baking, too. Usually when we make homemade bread it's gone in like two or three days because it's just too delicious to leave, and we're all left wanting more :smith:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

mind the walrus posted:

Cooking sucks unless you have a household to divide up the steps with. Having to plan, procure, prepare, actually cook, and then clean even for just yourself is a loving bullshit amount of work unless you make it a hobby unto itself.

PHUO: People don't know how to clean dishes.

Literally all you do is, during cooking, if a dish is dirty clean it right there and then on the spot. I know it feels more efficient to leave it be and do them all at once, but the reality is that by the time you've left it that long all the bits of food and starch and stuff that's on there has had time to wield itself to the surface.

A dish that's literally just been used can be washed and rinsed in 2 - 5 seconds and put to dry. A dish that's been sitting there for 10 minutes suddely is a 3 minute job to scrub off all the bits that have glued themselves to it. And the former comes out cleaner than the latter, in my experience. You don't even need to wait for the tap water to heat up because the dish itself is hot.

Pots and pans are great because you can just at the end, keep it on the heat, dump water inside and let it boil it a bit, then just swish a nylon brush inside and everything comes off because the pan itself is hot. This deals with carbonisation too and is absolutely effortless.

It takes maybe a week to learn how to get into the flow of it without burning stuff, but it takes washing up from being maybe a 30 minute job uselessly scrubbing spices off the inside of a pan, to being a 3 minute job, and you don't even feel that because it's distributed across the entire cooking time

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 13:15 on Jul 17, 2021

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

alexandriao posted:

PHUO: People don't know how to clean dishes.

Literally all you do is, during cooking, if a dish is dirty clean it right there and then on the spot. I know it feels more efficient to leave it be and do them all at once, but the reality is that by the time you've left it that long all the bits of food and starch and stuff that's on there has had time to wield itself to the surface.

A dish that's literally just been used can be washed and rinsed in 2 - 5 seconds and put to dry. A dish that's been sitting there for 10 minutes suddely is a 3 minute job to scrub off all the bits that have glued themselves to it. And the former comes out cleaner than the latter, in my experience. You don't even need to wait for the tap water to heat up because the dish itself is hot.

Pots and pans are great because you can just at the end, keep it on the heat, dump water inside and let it boil it a bit, then just swish a nylon brush inside and everything comes off because the pan itself is hot. This deals with carbonisation too and is absolutely effortless.

It takes maybe a week to learn how to get into the flow of it without burning stuff, but it takes washing up from being maybe a 30 minute job uselessly scrubbing spices off the inside of a pan, to being a 3 minute job, and you don't even feel that because it's distributed across the entire cooking time
People who don't clean as they cook are wasting their whole life. That one skill is the difference between hating the process of cooking and cleaning and not. It's essential.

People who don't clean at all are animals and I don't understand them or how they can live.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

fizzymercury posted:

People who don't clean as they cook are wasting their whole life. That one skill is the difference between hating the process of cooking and cleaning and not. It's essential.

People who don't clean at all are animals and I don't understand them or how they can live.

People who don't clean at all are radiating an SEP field, except there's nobody else around for it to be the other person's problem.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i had my own kitchen in university but i still had to share the toilet. my housemates were 1 guy who was never there and 2 girls. whenever they had a houseparty the guests liked to gather in the hallway in front of the toilet door so i had to dump a load with the swedish bikini team listening at the door

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

toilets should have antechambers with an extra door between you and the outside world, or soundproofing

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Platystemon posted:

Salt > sugar on grapefruit

But really, pummelos are what grapefruits aspire to be, and they’re sweet enough to need nothing.

Agreed. It's a crying shame that the most common grapefruit is such trash when there are so many good varieties that don't need to be covered in something to be edible.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

i had my own kitchen in university but i still had to share the toilet. my housemates were 1 guy who was never there and 2 girls. whenever they had a houseparty the guests liked to gather in the hallway in front of the toilet door so i had to dump a load with the swedish bikini team listening at the door
Now go jail and have to poop in front of an audience every single time you need to go. You'll get out and build yourself a perfect poop sanctuary with a fan, white noise maker, small water fountain, bidet toilet, and multiple hand soaps and lotions for after.

My bathroom could double as a small but luxurious castle if need be, as God intended.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

fizzymercury posted:

Now go jail and have to poop in front of an audience every single time you need to go. You'll get out and build yourself a perfect poop sanctuary with a fan, white noise maker, small water fountain, bidet toilet, and multiple hand soaps and lotions for after.

My bathroom could double as a small but luxurious castle if need be, as God intended.

My gf has turned our bathroom into something similar but when it all turns on, it's like... I still know what you're doing in there.

PHUO: I can't stand the self-loathing american political ideology that so many people have adopted. Particularly given how the US government runs the homeland itself as a colony. Not just the indigenous genocide, but the population of everyone but a select few. You don't need to constantly talk about how much it sucks we all know. It's particularly infuriating when they idealize Sweden or Finland or Switzerland or somewhere. Yes, I'd also rather be there than here. But the "good" western liberal capitalist countries' quality of life is also only possible because some black kid from Tennessee is coerced to enforce and die for the US-enforced world order. Change things if you have the means but shut the gently caress up moaning about how evil you are because George Bush invaded Iraq when you were 6.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't mind a little humorous self-deprecation but yeah the performative self-loathing american thing is pretty annoying. We get it, you went to europe and like the bread better or went to japan and liked getting water sprayed at your rear end. We have nice things here too, stop pretending like we are a barren wasteland of wonderbread, kraft singles, and single ply toilet paper.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
PHUO: Cleaning while cooking is overrated and distracts you from cooking. A lot of the time it just isn't possible because you've got to do something immediately after the thing you just finished. And you're going to have to clean afterwards anyway.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 15:49 on Jul 17, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Unless your making something incredibly quick cooking than there is plenty of time to clean. Google mise en place if your still struggling.

Anyways people who constantly put off doing chores are acting foolishly. Just do it as soon as it needs to be done and you'll have plenty more extra free time. People will spend twenty minutes trying to avoid a 3 minute task. Utter nonsense

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

PHUO: I can't stand the self-loathing american political ideology that so many people have adopted.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

We have nice things here too, stop pretending like we are a barren wasteland of wonderbread, kraft singles, and single ply toilet paper.

You don't get to be hegemon of the world without having to hear criticism of your actions, even if it is a bit boring for you.

PHUO: Loving your nation state is stupid. You can love "places" but should never fall in love with anything that cannot in some way love you back.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

You don't get to be hegemon of the world without having to hear criticism of your actions, even if it is a bit boring for you.

The criticism is fine, I only find it tiring when other americans try to out-hate each other about the place in an attempt to endear themselves to any non-american in their presence. Not saying I'd rather they be patriotic, but it would be nice to have a break from the constant negativity once in a while.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

it would be nice to have a break from the constant negativity once in a while.

Can I ask why? I have been kind of sad for long enough that I have difficulty fitting my head round this.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

Can I ask why? I have been kind of sad for long enough that I have difficulty fitting my head round this.

and do you enjoy being sad? I know I don't. I enjoy being not sad when I can. That's why.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

and do you enjoy being sad? I know I don't. I enjoy being not sad when I can. That's why.

It is what it is. But, being honest, no not really?

If you have a good reason to be happy then be happy. But being happy just because you fear the alternative isn't good seems more worrying than just being upset.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

My post wasn't about not wanting to hear criticism. I criticize. I've been tear gassed for criticizing. It's americans talking like americans themselves are uniquely bad in history and oh so stupid, often ones who have never left the US that piss me off.
Especially, again, when they or people from other countries idolize a western capitalist country as if it doesn't benefit from the system they criticize the US for. Sweden would be vastly less wealthy if not for US, and soviet, and UK, and I could go on, stomping on brown faces over and over again.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My post wasn't about not wanting to hear criticism. I criticize. I've been tear gassed for criticizing. It's americans talking like americans themselves are uniquely bad in history and oh so stupid, often ones who have never left the US that piss me off.
Especially, again, when they or people from other countries idolize a western capitalist country as if it doesn't benefit from the system they criticize the US for. Sweden would be vastly less wealthy if not for US, and soviet, and UK, and I could go on, stomping on brown faces over and over again.

I mean to be fair, in Sweden and Russias case it is more like stamping on different Europeans faces but I take your point.

The thing is though it is sort of explicable. Saying your nation is uniquely awful prevents you falling into the trap of going "Wellllll everyone does it so it is fine". Even if it gives rise to the problem of "everything we do is uniquely bad."

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

I mean to be fair, in Sweden and Russias case it is more like stamping on different Europeans faces but I take your point.

The thing is though it is sort of explicable. Saying your nation is uniquely awful prevents you falling into the trap of going "Wellllll everyone does it so it is fine". Even if it gives rise to the problem of "everything we do is uniquely bad."

That's pretty us-centric. It also gives rise to the problem of every other nations' people hearing the massive hatred for the us and believing their own nation is one of the good guys. Hint: if you are reading this then your nation is not in fact one of the good guys.

How about every nation on earth can do much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

That's pretty us-centric. It also gives rise to the problem of every other nations' people hearing the massive hatred for the us and believing their own nation is one of the good guys. Hint: if you are reading this then your nation is not in fact one of the good guys.

How about every nation on earth can do much better.

I mean I'm from the UK. There is, and remains, a large amount of people who hate us for very justified reasons, for instance, Ireland.

Every nation can, but accepting how bad you have been is important part of change, you'd hope.