Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jel Shaker posted:

billionaire pays thousands of people to look at a cheap rothko to up its value just before he steals it

One of those bargain basement Rothkos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fame Douglas posted:

I'm voting this post a 0 Kelvin

:ok:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Can't wait until the marketing big brains get their hands on this, like a sexy beer lady cutout that giggles when you look at her tits

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Measuring is either done by tools where the unit is irrelevant because the measurement is whatever the tool said it is. Or measuring is done by approximation and then the unit is best expressed by something everyone understands. Metric units, created from constants in nature are inscrutable values derived from theory and guesstimations. Imperial units are from parts of the human body or things you have lying around your home. In this way they are vastly superior, and in the precision case they are equally useful because again the tool does the measurement for you. The only time metric units are better is when converting between units. Where their arbitrary nature means we can define the unit of volume as exactly 1 to 1 with the unit of length, and also again 1to 1 with density. But once you leave the classroom and teacher is no longer looking over your shoulder to see if you memorized the equation or are cheating on your phone it becomes irrelevant that you need to look up the weird constant to convert between them.
In conclusion; I have a foot, it's close enough. I have no clue how long the prime meridian is or then when I divide that by 10000

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my body has two feet and zero meters

checkmate libs

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I don’t want to loving work anymore god damnit

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

tokin opposition posted:

Can't wait until the marketing big brains get their hands on this, like a sexy beer lady cutout that giggles when you look at her tits

I purposely tried not to stare at the st Pauli girls boobs and she called me a cuck

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

my body has two feet and zero meters

checkmate libs

Welcome to the Something Awful forums, Mr. Shapiro

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i am harry posted:

I don’t want to loving work anymore god damnit

my job just announced mandatory overtime for the rest of summer lol :d2a:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

idiots don't kno wthe history of science

According to a letter Fahrenheit wrote to his friend Herman Boerhaave,[16] his scale was built on the work of Ole Rømer, whom he had met earlier. In Rømer's scale, brine freezes at zero, water freezes and melts at 7.5 degrees, body temperature is 22.5, and water boils at 60 degrees. Fahrenheit multiplied each value by four in order to eliminate fractions and make the scale more fine-grained. He then re-calibrated his scale using the melting point of ice and normal human body temperature (which were at 30 and 90 degrees); he adjusted the scale so that the melting point of ice would be 32 degrees and body temperature 96 degrees, so that 64 intervals would separate the two, allowing him to mark degree lines on his instruments by simply bisecting the interval six times (since 64 is 2 to the sixth power).[17][18]

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Celsius is for measuring with a machine, but fahrenheit is for measuring with a hand. Make me into a perfect immortal machine and I will switch over, get on it meterheads

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hate it when I have to undress in public to take measurements with my Fahrenheit ganglia

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

ArmZ posted:

According to a letter Fahrenheit wrote to his friend Herman Boerhaave,[16] his scale was built on the work of Ole Rømer, whom he had met earlier.

i lost consciousness halfway through reading this sleeper of a sentence and woke up having already scrolled past the rest of the words in that post.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Rømer had a street in Copenhagen named after him, and on that street, the worker's museum is located. Actually a pretty cool place.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

isn't this the same MIT group that recently put out a thinkpiece about how rural Africans' camp stoves are bad for the environment and that they should switch to greener cooking methods?

lmao

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

those sound like the sort of academics who call the police on pic walking their dogs in a park.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

tmfc posted:

isn't this the same MIT group that recently put out a thinkpiece about how rural Africans' camp stoves are bad for the environment and that they should switch to greener cooking methods?

lmao

that was a A+ scam piece to generate fake carbon offsets. someone will probably end up doing it too. claim they distributed 70,000 or so "green" whatevers and then claim the carbon saved by those 70,000 green whatevers

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

bedpan posted:

that was a A+ scam piece to generate fake carbon offsets. someone will probably end up doing it too. claim they distributed 70,000 or so "green" whatevers and then claim the carbon saved by those 70,000 green whatevers

what is a real carbon offset lmao

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Idk but it probably involves nuclear explosions

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

inferis posted:

what is a real carbon offset lmao

in theory, ones where the group would in fact distribute and put into place the new stoves. this is still bullshit so the scam hedgefund dudes just skip all of that and go right to the claiming part.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

rural africans should burn coal to generate steam to spin a turbine to make electrons flow to a metal coil that gets hot to cook food, just like me

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

carbon offsets are just a way for the libs to create another bullshit speculation market instead of implementing a pigovian tax, which is both simpler and more effective than any other option.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

ArmZ posted:

carbon offsets are just a way for the libs to create another bullshit speculation market instead of implementing a pigovian tax, which is both simpler and more effective than any other option.

Whoa, a tax? Hold on there, you must be new, we don't like taxes here. Haven't you heard of the Boston tea party? I remember a little bit about it, and I remember the word "taxes", so that must literally be the only thing they were protesting. Anyway, get out of here.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Whoa, a tax? Hold on there, you must be new, we don't like taxes here. Haven't you heard of the Boston tea party? I remember a little bit about it, and I remember the word "taxes", so that must literally be the only thing they were protesting. Anyway, get out of here.

Actually, it was "no taxation" - very clear, I assume the rest was just more of the same.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
How is mandatory overtime legal

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Fixins posted:

"Not wanting to work overtime" is not a protected class.

:911: :911: :capitalism: :911: :911:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fixins posted:

Games shouldn't end in ties :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fixins posted:

It's ~at-will employment~, if you don't agree to it being mandatory you're free to just leave

Don't you dare think of using us as a reference or putting us on your resume if you don't give 2 weeks' notice first though. No we don't have to do the same for you, that's silly.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i mean i get paid 1.5x for it but i'd much rather be doing drugs on the couch instead of wasting time working on poo poo i don't care about

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i mean i get paid 1.5x for it but i'd much rather be doing drugs on the couch instead of wasting time working on poo poo i don't care about

Look at this stupid company that doesn't just make you salaried so they can require overtime without having to pay more

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

you know what would solve that problem? a world-wide solar network so power could be generated 24 hours a day and distrubuted where its needed at various times of the day.

otoh it would just be easier to keep shoveling coal into a furnace and burn up the planet

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

Look at this stupid company that doesn't just make you salaried so they can require overtime without having to pay more

you'd probably have to have an employee bank about 20 hours of continuous OT every week before it becomes cheaper then making someone a FTE and giving them health insurance

obviously varies based on the hourly pay rate and how many family members that employee would put on their plan.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tmfc posted:

lmao

that was Duke lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

you know what would solve that problem? a world-wide solar network so power could be generated 24 hours a day and distrubuted where its needed at various times of the day.

Sure, let me just install a transatlantic cable big enough to carry the entire electrical demand of north and south america

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

you'd probably have to have an employee bank about 20 hours of continuous OT every week before it becomes cheaper then making someone a FTE and giving them health insurance

obviously varies based on the hourly pay rate and how many family members that employee would put on their plan.

The cruelty is the point. You have to remind the serfs that they are below you, the middle manager, at all times.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Shame Boy posted:

Sure, let me just install a transatlantic cable big enough to carry the entire electrical demand of north and south america

Sounds good, let's get building. How many aircraft carriers would it cost?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shame Boy posted:

It's sunlight. We can just put angled mirrors in Europe, point them at solar batteries across the ocean, and they will transport solar energy to America literally at the speed of light!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

nuclear plant seasteads, all in a line, each responsible for one part of the cable

make me ruler of earth and i will electrocute every fish in the ocean by next week

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

tokin opposition posted:

it's already a thing for out of home digital ads. eg at bus stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/NimbyPatrol/status/1416946917204975624?s=19