Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

bitterandtwisted posted:

I don't care much for Little Britain, but I'm fairly sure that Matt loving Lucas isn't telling gays to stay in the closet and be invisible

The Daffyd Thomas sketches read to me a lot more like a (white, cis, male) gay telling the queer community that there's no need to be radical any more because (white, cis, male) gays no longer face discrimination.

Whybird has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Jul 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Come Fly with Me had the exact same issues - Occasional funny jokes that were drowned by a sea of lovely stereotyping and punching down.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've never seen Little Britain, but maybe ten-ish years ago I remember seeing a sketch comedy show about an airport on BBC America. I was about to comment on how horribly that has aged, and I go to look it up (Come Fly with Me,) and whaddya know, made by the end two guys as Little Britain.

Hell, I feel like it was already dated when it we made...so much brown and blackface. Good lord.

Edit: drat, simulpost. But yeah not just that they were in blackface or brownface, but the racist stereotyping for jokes. You can sometimes "get away" with blackface if you can subvert it in some way, a la Tropic Thunder, but that wasn't what was happening.

"Haha, the Jamaican woman is lazy!"

Cutting edge humor.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Jul 16, 2021

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Nottherealaborn posted:

Come Fly with Me had the exact same issues - Occasional funny jokes that were drowned by a sea of lovely stereotyping and punching down.

And blackface. So much loving blackface.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

DigitalRaven posted:

And blackface. So much loving blackface.

And a lesser but non zero amount of yellowface.

God those two were a loving comedic sewer.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sweevo posted:

Harry Enfield hasn't been funny for 30 years. I don't know why anyone is suddenly finding this surprising.

That feeling when you only know about him thanks to Killing Floor and then :yikes:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hell, I feel like it was already dated when it we made...so much brown and blackface. Good lord.

I think one of the Little Britain sketches was Matt Lucas in blackface pretending to be Mr. T with no real punchline to it other than he looked like Mr. T.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

rofl I watched the minstrel episode of Jeeves and Wooster and I thought "drat, they could get away with blackface in England in the 80s?"

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I think one of the Little Britain sketches was Matt Lucas in blackface pretending to be Mr. T with no real punchline to it other than he looked like Mr. T.

He dressed like Mr T but claimed he didn't know who Mr T was. That's about it.

The dumb thing is the joke is kind of half-amusing as an absurd sketch but would work with literally any distinctive white celebrity. Off the top of my head let's say Arnie in Terminator.

Edit: man, I really had to search through a bunch of screenshots to find this particular blackface shot. They really loved that poo poo didn't they??

darkwasthenight has a new favorite as of 22:32 on Jul 16, 2021

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

darkwasthenight posted:

Edit: man, I really had to search through a bunch of screenshots to find this particular blackface shot. They really loved that poo poo didn't they??

They’re British OP

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

oldpainless posted:

They’re British OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl76rTxIyzI

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

BioEnchanted posted:

I didn't see many mirror universe episodes as I only watched TNG all the way through, but I looked it up and it seemed more interesting than I gave it credit for. I always just assumed it was "Evil bearded universe" because of the stereotype, but there's more to it than that - it's a for want of a nail situation. It all comes down to first contact. In OUR universe, first contact with a vulcan ship went reasonably well and an alliance was formed and they helped us get to space. In the mirror universe the original enterprise panicked and blew the vulcan ship out of the sky, triggering a war. A war that earth somehow won, probably because we are bigger bastards than the Vulcans, so Vulcan fell to Earth, got totally subjugated and that started us down a more warlike mindset. Then we kind of expanded our empire, it started bumping up against Klingon space and things got... complicated.

I haven't yet watched any Trek past Enterprise, so I don't know if things have been revised again since then, but....

Star Trek: Enterprise's two-part Mirror Universe episode "In A Mirror, Darkly" opens with a version of the climactic First Contact scene from Star Trek: First Contact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXw6hC7hxBA

I remember liking the episode, but haven't gone back to revisit it lately. It's part of Enterprise's final season, where they're doing a fair bit of "we know we're not getting another season, so let's just do this." The episodes do a fair bit of continuity tapping, including linking very strongly to the TOS episode "The Tholian Web."

Voyager doesn't have any Mirror Universe episodes, but it has at least a couple episodes with alternate versions of Voyager through other viewpoints. My favorite would be the Warship Voyager from "Living Witness" a historical reconstruction based on the poor interaction a fledgling species had with the starship hundreds of years prior. The episode itself was middling, but seeing the general trend of "Many species Voyager encounters with wind up worse off afterwards" being taken to 11 was fun to watch.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Another is child actor Bill Mumy who was fidgeting during filming of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. He says a sweaty, heavy-breathing Hitchcock walked up to him and whispered in his ear, "I am going to get a nail and nail your feet to the mark, and the blood will come pouring out like milk".

It is WEIRD seeing Bill Mumy with hair.

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006

Mescal posted:

rofl I watched the minstrel episode of Jeeves and Wooster and I thought "drat, they could get away with blackface in England in the 80s?"

Sadly its much worse in the book.

In the TV Show there's a minstrel band made up of white guys who black up with boot polish, at one point Bertie blacks up as well so he can sneak away with them.
Well, fine for a show set in the 1920s I guess.

In the book the minstrels are actually black, Bertie still manages to black up with boot polish and sneak away with them because no one can tell the difference.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How about a Batman villain disguising himself as a Chinese merchant by painting himself yellow and wearing dishwashing gloves?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yellow-skin gloves!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Schubalts posted:

Yellow-skin gloves!

Is that like calf-skin or goat-skin but from....?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

maltesh posted:

I haven't yet watched any Trek past Enterprise, so I don't know if things have been revised again since then, but....

Star Trek: Enterprise's two-part Mirror Universe episode "In A Mirror, Darkly" opens with a version of the climactic First Contact scene from Star Trek: First Contact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXw6hC7hxBA

I remember liking the episode, but haven't gone back to revisit it lately. It's part of Enterprise's final season, where they're doing a fair bit of "we know we're not getting another season, so let's just do this." The episodes do a fair bit of continuity tapping, including linking very strongly to the TOS episode "The Tholian Web."

Voyager doesn't have any Mirror Universe episodes, but it has at least a couple episodes with alternate versions of Voyager through other viewpoints. My favorite would be the Warship Voyager from "Living Witness" a historical reconstruction based on the poor interaction a fledgling species had with the starship hundreds of years prior. The episode itself was middling, but seeing the general trend of "Many species Voyager encounters with wind up worse off afterwards" being taken to 11 was fun to watch.

First, I'm embarrassed that I think that intro looks cool as hell and would watch that alternate universe show. And a bit depressed that if there was a first contact event like that, with the Vulcans stepping out of their ship and waving 'hi' that the response would be more like that intro clip than what happened in the First Contact movie.

Because humans are assholes. :(

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

El Spamo posted:

First, I'm embarrassed that I think that intro looks cool as hell and would watch that alternate universe show. And a bit depressed that if there was a first contact event like that, with the Vulcans stepping out of their ship and waving 'hi' that the response would be more like that intro clip than what happened in the First Contact movie.

Because humans are assholes. :(
Hey, the guy in Discovery who put Elon Musk and Zephram Cochrane in the same sentence was from the bad universe so it kinda tracks

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Hey, the guy in Discovery who put Elon Musk and Zephram Cochrane in the same sentence was from the bad universe so it kinda tracks

True story: Jason Isaacs proposed that Captain Lorca have a catchphrase much like Picard had "Engage" and "Make it so"? His proposal? "Git'r done". Which apparently he had NO IDEA was associated with Larry the Cable Guy. I dunno if he already knew that he was actually playing Mirror!Lorca but either option is HILARIOUS.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
I've never found a british comedy particularly good. There's at least one joke in every british comedy that's just "haha trannies am i right"

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i remember Still Game being pretty good

really loving good actually i love that show

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

endocriminologist posted:

I've never found a british comedy particularly good. There's at least one joke in every british comedy that's just "haha trannies am i right"

Mitchell and Webb remains good, although you do have to swallow a joke or two with the 'but you see the joke is that you shouldn't do blackface' problem. As well as a good handful that age badly in the more innocent way where it's just joking about something that isn't around anymore, so it just seems sort of absurd.

Numberwang's a perfect example of that last one, despite being one of their best; it's supposed to be a parody of the experience where you tune into some esoteric weirdo game show with rules you can barely make sense of, and either you missed the premise or they've stopped trying to explain it, so it's all just barely logical nonsense that you're left trying to piece together. And it feels like those sorts of weirdo game shows have faded away over time, in favor of just revamping/riding out the classics or (especially in the UK) just doing celebrity panel shows with a quiz show pretense.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

I don't recall "I'm Alan Partridge" going that route, and if it does, then Partridge would be the butt of the joke.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

I regret to inform you that, rewatching Peep Show, mssrs Mitchell and Webb do not clear this bar.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Peep Show was good until about the wedding.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I regret to inform you that, rewatching Peep Show, mssrs Mitchell and Webb do not clear this bar.

Webb is a TERF now so no surprises there

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I know Webb's a transphone but what was the mater with peep show?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

repiv posted:

it's like a bingo card for assholes

quote:

He also identified himself as a gender-critical feminist, but claimed to oppose transphobia

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

repiv posted:

Aw gently caress. Goddamnit.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Mescal posted:

I know Webb's a transphone but what was the mater with peep show?

I was just saying it did not clear the bar of "no trans jokes".

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Darkplace and Limmy's show are all you need

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I was just saying it did not clear the bar of "no trans jokes".

Yeah, but what were the trans jokes? I don't remember any

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
At the very least, they used the t-slur a few times, though that said it's not like anyone on that show is someone people aspire to be like. Except maybe Johnson. It's sort of like talking about the complicated nature of Always Sunny.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Bottom is the only comedy you need.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer

Disco Pope posted:

I don't recall "I'm Alan Partridge" going that route, and if it does, then Partridge would be the butt of the joke.

I regret to inform you

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I was listening to the radio at work last night and Funky Cold Medina came on. Which I thought was weird because it's about a guy running around with a date rape drug and I really thought society had moved on a little in the past 30 years.

Then it got to the halfway point of the song and transphobia out of loving nowhere.

:sigh:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I was listening to the radio at work last night and Funky Cold Medina came on. Which I thought was weird because it's about a guy running around with a date rape drug and I really thought society had moved on a little in the past 30 years.

Then it got to the halfway point of the song and transphobia out of loving nowhere.

:sigh:

I don't like the song, but I'm really glad we have that Brooklyn Nine-Nine joke about it (that doesn't involve the transphobic part)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was listening to Weird Al's Running With Scissors yesterday and like 20% of the jokes in "Jerry Springer" are about "shemales" and sex changes.