Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Lol there's no biological evolution in middle Earth

Probably no such thing as science either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Y'all should think less scientifically and more animistically. Sauron poured his will and essence into the Ring when he forged it. It has a spirit, or at least a pretty capable fraction of one. It can influence events around it (in a metaphysical way rather than a physical one), and the influence it exerts is in accordance with its nature - that nature being Sauron's.

The Ring is an immobile lump of gold that only knows what it can psychically glean from its vicinity, but given the limitations arising from the vast difference in agency between them, at any of the times that the Ring is personified, does it ever act in a manner inconsistent with the principle "What would Sauron do?"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Blood Boils posted:

Probably no such thing as science either
They somehow invented gunpowder. So some sort of chemistry must exist in Middle Earth.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

That's just volcano magic

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The Ring has a nature that can be metaphorically be described as a will, but it's not necessarily more sapient than those Elven ropes that knot and unknot themselves as is most convenient.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Could the Ring force me to take 14 shots and accidentally leave it in a bar bathroom for another even more weak-willed fool??

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Could the Ring force me to take 14 shots and accidentally leave it in a bar bathroom for another even more weak-willed fool??

that's my usual excuse

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
With the benefit of hindsight leaving Isildur to die for the sake of spending the next centuries buried in mud wasn't the best way of finding a useful bearer.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ok maybe it's sentient but that doesn't mean smart

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Data Graham posted:

Ok maybe it's sentient but that doesn't mean smart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juUE0bByZfE

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

YaketySass posted:

With the benefit of hindsight leaving Isildur to die for the sake of spending the next centuries buried in mud wasn't the best way of finding a useful bearer.
If nothing else, it got the Ring off the guy who killed Sauron, which was probably an improvement. While the Ring no doubt could not know the future, Sauron didn't strictly need it to win. Isildur II or III might have listened to Elrond and taken it to the Fire.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No one knows what happened with isildur other than he died and the ring came off at some point . Can’t really draw much conclusions from that. Maybe a lucky arrow hit him with the ring on and it came off after he was dead ? Who knows

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s been like 500 generations

It’s nonsensical to talk about who is descended from who at that distance . They are descended from everyone alive at the moment

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

euphronius posted:

It’s been like 500 generations

It’s nonsensical to talk about who is descended from who at that distance . They are descended from everyone alive at the moment
While I agree with your opinions about the meaningfulness of aristocratic descent and so forth, this is more that if Isildur had been killed without losing the Ring, it would have presumably gone to his heir (if not swiped by whatever Gondorian found his body) and it seems like the Ring has way less grip on you when you do not obtain it from murder and theft.

Isildur Jr. would have also been able to just go on a quick jaunt over to Mt. Doom at the time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That was meant for true dune thread sorry lol . The iOS app fucks up from time to time

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

euphronius posted:

That was meant for true dune thread sorry lol . The iOS app fucks up from time to time

lol

fits here too

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nessus posted:

it seems like the Ring has way less grip on you when you do not obtain it from murder and theft.

Alternatively the people who the Ring has the potential to have strong hold on obtain it via murder and theft because it has a stronger hold on them from the outset. I think the mindset changes the acquisition, not vice versa.

Maybe the method causes some degree of post hoc justification that serves as reinforcement though.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Sauron originally declared the ring was a birthday present to himself, hence gollums madness

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

Alternatively the people who the Ring has the potential to have strong hold on obtain it via murder and theft because it has a stronger hold on them from the outset. I think the mindset changes the acquisition, not vice versa.

Maybe the method causes some degree of post hoc justification that serves as reinforcement though.
I think Gandalf theorizes that the reason Bilbo was able to give it up at all was because he just found it, he didn't beat up Gollum to take his treasure or anything. And in turn, Frodo received it and was aware of the risks; and Sam in turn only took it up for a minute because he thought Frodo was dead and it was now his job to get it to the finish line. In fact this happens more often than the Ring being transferred by violence and force, which I think technically was only ever done by Gollum. Little poo poo

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Nessus posted:

I think Gandalf theorizes that the reason Bilbo was able to give it up at all was because he just found it, he didn't beat up Gollum to take his treasure or anything. And in turn, Frodo received it and was aware of the risks; and Sam in turn only took it up for a minute because he thought Frodo was dead and it was now his job to get it to the finish line. In fact this happens more often than the Ring being transferred by violence and force, which I think technically was only ever done by Gollum. Little poo poo

Isildur cutting it off Sauron’s presumably mutilated body sounds pretty violent

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Nessus posted:

...I kind of need to know what your av is

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

Based on the username I'm gonna guess it's a Pierson's Puppeteer from the Ringworld books https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierson%27s_Puppeteers

(there's a puppeteer named Nessus in the books)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

I understand why the films did what they did and it was fine but man Sauron's death in the books was way more metal. He fought Gil-Galad and Elendil for a while until all three of them died and then Isildur cut the ring from his hand.

Does Tolkien ever comment on what happened to Aeglos? I always thought it was cool as hell that Gil-Galad had a badass spear. I guess the Elves probably took it over seas or something to make sure it was never despoiled.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah it would be inconceivable for the elves to let some non elf use a weapon of one of their heroes so they probably retired it

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

skasion posted:

yeah, but he hadn't killed sauron, he was just looting drops

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Bongo Bill posted:

Y'all should think less scientifically and more animistically. Sauron poured his will and essence into the Ring when he forged it. It has a spirit, or at least a pretty capable fraction of one. It can influence events around it (in a metaphysical way rather than a physical one), and the influence it exerts is in accordance with its nature - that nature being Sauron's.

The Ring is an immobile lump of gold that only knows what it can psychically glean from its vicinity, but given the limitations arising from the vast difference in agency between them, at any of the times that the Ring is personified, does it ever act in a manner inconsistent with the principle "What would Sauron do?"

I don't think Sauron would choose to spend a few centuries hanging out in a dark cave with a creature that may or may not be/have been a Hobbit.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

Pham was correct. Puppeteers get described fairly simply so there's a lot of artistic variation in their representation. There has not yet been a big-budget presentation of any kind.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I don't think Sauron would choose to spend a few centuries hanging out in a dark cave with a creature that may or may not be/have been a Hobbit.

Sauron would, and did, patiently bide his time and ingratiate himself to his captor until he can engineer an opportunity to escape.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Nessus posted:

Pham was correct. Puppeteers get described fairly simply so there's a lot of artistic variation in their representation. There has not yet been a big-budget presentation of any kind.

Ahh. Of course someone named Pham Nuwen gets the scifi reference

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The ring is fully sentient and sapient, with full powers of logic and reason. The only reason that it stayed under the misty mountains for so long is that it was out of gas.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

CommonShore posted:

The ring is fully sentient and sapient, with full powers of logic and reason. The only reason that it stayed under the misty mountains for so long is that it was out of gas.

Should have stopped at Wall Drug

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Nessus posted:

Specifically, Gandalf's theory was that Bilbo had the opportunity to stab Gollum in the back, but pity and mercy kept him from doing so. This kept the Ring from, poisoning his mind too easily. Just like he only used the Ring after his adventure to hide from unwelcome visitors or avoid danger, not to spy or steal or kill.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Where are the lines that Isildur looted the ring from the corpse, anyway? I had always read it as he cut it off of Sauron's hand mid-fight, even before the movies came out.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Where are the lines that Isildur looted the ring from the corpse, anyway? I had always read it as he cut it off of Sauron's hand mid-fight, even before the movies came out.

Council of Elrond, Elrond himself speaking:

quote:

“It was Gil-galad, Elven-king and Elendil of Westernesse who overthrew Sauron, though they themselves perished in the deed; and Isildur Elendil’s son cut the Ring from Sauron’s hand and took it for his own. Then Sauron was vanquished and his spirit fled and was hidden for long years, until his shadow took shape again in Mirkwood.”

Slightly different telling in “of the Rings of Power” in the Silmarillion

quote:

But at the last the siege was so strait that Sauron himself came forth; and he wrestled with Gil-galad and Elendil, and they both were slain, and the sword of Elendil broke under him as he fell. But Sauron also was thrown down, and with the hilt-shard of Narsil Isildur cut the Ruling Ring from the hand of Sauron and took it for his own. Then Sauron was for that time vanquished, and he forsook his body, and his spirit fled far away and hid in waste places; and he took no visible shape again for many long years.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

skasion posted:

Ah fair. I always read it as fight -> cut -> vanquished as the sequence of cause and effect.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Ah fair. I always read it as fight -> cut -> vanquished as the sequence of cause and effect.

It does seem implied that even though he got “overthrown” by Gilgalad and Elendil, he could have gotten better if Isildur hadn’t chopped his finger.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

skasion posted:

skasion posted:

It does seem implied that even though he got “overthrown” by Gilgalad and Elendil, he could have gotten better if Isildur hadn’t chopped his finger.

huh, so it was

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Should have stopped at Wall Drug

What's the Wall Drug of Middle Earth.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

SHISHKABOB posted:

What's the Wall Drug of Middle Earth.

Ioreth's Herbal Emporium And Gossip Mill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

IIRC the sequence of events that ends the siege of Mordor is that after Anarion gets his head crushed under the walls of the dark tower Elendil issues a challenge of personal combat to the Lord of the rings, he accepts, they go with Gilgalad to mt doom accompanied by elrond & isildur carrying their standards, Gilgalad and Elendil tag team Sauron, presumably Gil impales him with his spear while El hacks about with narsil - they mortally wound him but he manages to shove Elendil off a cliff and burns Gilgalad to death before passing out, which allows Isildur to approach and cut off the ring AND THEN he bails on his body but not necessarily because of the ring, probably it's his best option to fly away and patiently reform rather than risk being taken by the elves to be tossed thru the doors of night