Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Oh I'm already a huge fan of Primo Piatto. I've eaten there several times and the breakfast is :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I usually stay at Caribbean, so I'm used to going through the Riviera station to get to Epcot. While it's not within walking distance like the Boardwalk loop, it's very fast assuming no stoppages and gives your feet a break. Even on a crowded day, you can probably expect 20 minutes or less from your Riviera door to the Epcot gate by Skyliner.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

I don't know how someone can dislike it.

I'm not a big fan of its aesthetic and I think that's about all you can really feel negatively about it. It's not for me, I'm glad other people are into it, and that's cool. But it's like, bottom of the barrel choice for me.

But then, tons of people feel like that about ft wilderness cabins, Coronado, etc.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I get that. SB's favorite is AoA because he enjoys the full Disney character themeing. Other people hate it. We like what we like.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Some of the big complaints I’ve seen is the lack of a real lobby compared to the other deluxe hotels and poor or understated theming. I’ve only heard good (outside of pricing) about the food at Riviera.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Braksgirl posted:

I get that. SB's favorite is AoA because he enjoys the full Disney character themeing. Other people hate it. We like what we like.

Unacceptable. Walt's true vision for room decor was very clearly... [Tweet 1/67]

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Nephew was at the opening first day of food and wine today and said he had hoards of vloggers just up and running, cutting in front of him with cameras on gimbals in tow. He jokes he only felt not out of place when he was taking pics of the food and the merch to see if i wanted any souvenirs.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

Did they ever repaint these?

https://mickeyblog.com/2021/02/14/large-murals-in-front-entrance-of-art-of-animation-being-removed/

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Just frigging ban vloggers the first week of whatevers new please

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Junkie Disease posted:

Just frigging ban vloggers

everywhere, every day

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Points and cash bookings - it’s definitely a pricier level - almost on par with Poly, especially around the holidays.

The lobby is small, but unless you plan to just hang out in it all day - why not mosey to the coffee shop, pop downstairs to the fitness room, laze about out in the courtyard, eat gelato at the pool, grab a drink at Bar Riviera - or enjoy the Epcot fireworks from your standard view?

I get it’s a mishmash of French and Italian with home pics of Walt from the 20s/30s - but it’s super easy to get where you need to be with rain cover, and it’s an easy hop to HS or the best park entrance, EP gateway. The new rooms are functionally a lot better than staying at GF, and if you had to scrounge and hit a tower studio, that’s not too bad if you just plan to be in the parks all day (great bathroom though).

I love it. We had a 1BR last year in early March and had a fab time, and can’t wait to be back in one again for the 50th. I always pop over to grab a lunch or breakfast at Primo from wherever I am.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Orlando trip report (not only about WDW because we often talk about neighboring parks as well itt):

• Discovery Cove is easily the best experience out of all the theme parks. It's quiet; it's not crowded; you get free meals, snacks, and non-alcoholic drinks (just walk up and take stuff) and instead of many mediocre activities they just have a few high quality ones that you can repeat all day long and not get bored with. Wish every park was like this.
  • Volcano Bay is easily the best "crowded park" experience in Orlando. Their rubber-watch reservation system or whatever it's called by itself makes the experience the best. Instead of standing in line for hours you just do whatever, then show up to wait for only a few minutes when it's your turn. It'd be better if you could reserve for more than one place at a time, but the employees said the wait becomes even longer if they do it that way.
  • Everything else sucks by comparison after experiencing that watch reservation system. That should be the standard for everywhere imo.
  • The new rides at Universal, the Veloci-coaster and the Hagrid Motorcycle one, are super cool and good.
  • WDW is probably better as a food/restaurant vacation than anything else because they have easily the best food experience of any park. Le Cellier, in Canada-land, was great: we didn't even make a reservation, we just walked in and asked for a table.
  • Seaworld & Aquatica's food department managers have HUGE problems. It's like night and day compared to WDW. Can't understand how Discovery Cove shares the same parent company.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Love Stole the Day posted:

Orlando trip report (not only about WDW because we often talk about neighboring parks as well itt):

• Discovery Cove is easily the best experience out of all the theme parks. It's quiet; it's not crowded; you get free meals, snacks, and non-alcoholic drinks (just walk up and take stuff) and instead of many mediocre activities they just have a few high quality ones that you can repeat all day long and not get bored with. Wish every park was like this.
  • Volcano Bay is easily the best "crowded park" experience in Orlando. Their rubber-watch reservation system or whatever it's called by itself makes the experience the best. Instead of standing in line for hours you just do whatever, then show up to wait for only a few minutes when it's your turn. It'd be better if you could reserve for more than one place at a time, but the employees said the wait becomes even longer if they do it that way.
  • Everything else sucks by comparison after experiencing that watch reservation system. That should be the standard for everywhere imo.
  • The new rides at Universal, the Veloci-coaster and the Hagrid Motorcycle one, are super cool and good.
  • WDW is probably better as a food/restaurant vacation than anything else because they have easily the best food experience of any park. Le Cellier, in Canada-land, was great: we didn't even make a reservation, we just walked in and asked for a table.
  • Seaworld & Aquatica's food department managers have HUGE problems. It's like night and day compared to WDW. Can't understand how Discovery Cove shares the same parent company.

Nice to hear that Volcano Bay is operating smoothly now. For the first year or two there were nothing but complaints about it being stressful and unorganized and still having to wait long even after your line reservation. Keep in mind though that Volcano Bay has a very limited capacity, and you have wave pools and lazy rivers to enjoy while you wait for the slides. Having the theme parks operate this way would not be as fun.

Agreed that Disney's food options are legions above everything else. There's even a variety of high quality quick service options. Anyone who complains about the food at Disney, other than its price, likely ate burgers, hot dogs, and pizza, and tried nothing else.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
To be fair, I'd love if Magic Kingdom had a lazy river and wave pools too. :)

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Man the Discovery Cove hype has me really considering it

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

isn't SeaWorld like, a horrific place for animals

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

alg posted:

isn't SeaWorld like, a horrific place for animals

Worse for the trainers and workers. The documentary had some truth but a lot of spin. Seaworld does indeed do a lot of good for wildlife and generally cares for its animals as well or better than industry standards (especially now that they've stopped a lot of the more exploitative shows and stuff).

They've had a significant amount of trainer deaths and Seaworld still testified that it wasn't a dangerous job. There's also all the really lovely stuff they did to labor during covid.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Fixins posted:

Man the Discovery Cove hype has me really considering it

I'm going back for a second visit this week, and lordy lord, I am so excited. It's just a whole different world than the rest of Orlando.

Can't wait to sip tropical drinks will floating by an island inhabited by little monkeys.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I'm going back for a second visit this week, and lordy lord, I am so excited. It's just a whole different world than the rest of Orlando.

Can't wait to sip tropical drinks will floating by an island inhabited by little monkeys.

I looked at their website after it was mentioned here, and Discovery Cove looks pretty awesome. Florida is kind of on fire COVID-wise right now, but I'd definitely like to visit when things calm down again.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sea World food has always been abysmal, the worst of the worst. I’d rather eat a warmed-over hot dog from a cart at Busch Gardens.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Luigi Thirty posted:

Sea World food has always been abysmal, the worst of the worst. I’d rather eat a warmed-over hot dog from a cart at Busch Gardens.

Odd exception is the food festivals they have tend to be pretty good. Sea World does have one sit down restaurant, Sharks Grill (Which usually requires reservations) and has an amazing view of the Shark Aquarium. Quick Service isn't, although the better of those is the restaurant behind Infinity Falls seconded by the Voyagers BBQ place. Still not great, but if you must. All the food places are understaffed right now, though (I.e. Slow).

Sea World and Busch are such oddities to me though . I love the parks, they are beautiful (Especially the one in Virginia) and the animals are amazing--and I know a few trainers that worked there and they all take their jobs very seriously, but ever since Anheuser Busch sold off to Inbev, and then sold the parks off, the business side hasn't been great. (Ala how they treated employees) IMHO, the parks need to survive even if the current ownership does not. The fact all the SeaWorld parks (Incluidng really big ones like Iron Gwazi in Tampa and Pantheon in Williamsburg) have brand new coasters sitting idle right now is just weird.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 18, 2021

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I worked at SeaWorld for a bit. While I'm no animal expert, the care the animals receive - and all the employees who actually work with the animals can attest to this - actually is top notch. Anyone still believing otherwise is misinformed and their only research was "Blackfish". SeaWorld is also exceptionally clean because of this. In terms of cleanliness both what you see and what you don't see, SeaWorld is better than Disney and WAY better than Universal (which is honestly filthy). However, doing literally any other job at SeaWorld is crap, which is why of the big three in Orlando, SeaWorld has the lowest quality of employees and service.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Sea world zookeepers do a fantastic job of trying to take care of their animals, providing excellent animal welfare and enrichment opportunities. Sea world does great work for conservation programs, like breeding SSP species and doing rehabilitation work with injured animals like manatees and pilot whales. Blackfish did a lot of harmful work for Seaworlds reputation, and it’s easy to overlook the good they do in favor of a messy documentary.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Atricks posted:

The fact all the SeaWorld parks (Incluidng really big ones like Iron Gwazi in Tampa and Pantheon in Williamsburg) have brand new coasters sitting idle right now is just weird.

The theory is that they haven't been paying their bills for the rides they ordered pre COVID due to cash flow problems, so the manufacturers have put liens on them to prevent their operation.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Sounds like Trader Sam's in WDW opens today with the poly reopening. Now I just need Hoop Dee Doo to somehow start up again before late August and I'll be set.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
We decided to skip the Halloween party (those prices, yowza) and are instead going to F&W in early October. First trip since February, 2020.

I know it’s the 50th anniversary on October 1st, but I pray crowds are manageable on October 5th since it’s a Tuesday. :pray:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Multiple southeastern states have a fall break the first or second week of October. It will be busy. Half of Kentucky and Tennessee will be there.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 19, 2021

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Well, poo poo.

Oh, well. We knew what we were getting into.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

fall break? is that for year round schools or something?

we went the first week in October in 2017 and it was pretty packed, but every day at Disney is packed now

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I mean it's pretty much always busy, so you'll be fine, just adjust expectations accordingly. I think there are maybe 4-6 "slow" weeks left these days, and even those aren't slow anymore.

It's still going to be hot as hell though. We went October 6th to 14th in 2018, and I sweat from places I didn't know you could sweat from on that trip.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I mean it's pretty much always busy, so you'll be fine, just adjust expectations accordingly. I think there are maybe 4-6 "slow" weeks left these days, and even those aren't slow anymore.

It's still going to be hot as hell though. We went October 6th to 14th in 2018, and I sweat from places I didn't know you could sweat from on that trip.

yes you have to take baby powder. 100% a must for chafing.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

alg posted:

every day at Disney is packed now
It's this. You basically can't avoid huge crowds anymore.

If it's not a spring/fall break for someone, it's a marathon week. Or a European holiday (ie. most of August). Or that week when all of Brazil inexplicably visits Disney.

And if it's not something like that, Disney will fire off a bunch of promotions and discounts to fill up the hotels and parks.

Plus now enough people are Disney-savvy that they know when the "slow" periods are and choose those times to visit, making them not-slow.

Just pick a week when the weather is likely to be least-oppressive and go.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

alg posted:

fall break? is that for year round schools or something?

we went the first week in October in 2017 and it was pretty packed, but every day at Disney is packed now

It's a regional thing. TN, KY, parts of GA and parts of AL have a week long Fall break that usually lands the first or second week of October. We thought crowds would be low when we went, since most people would be going home after Columbus day. That was not the case. Just a sea of Kentucky Blue and Tennessee Orange everywhere. Different regions have different school schedules, and those easily correlate to busy times at WDW. Louisiana goes the week of Mardi Gras. New Jersey has Jersey week. I'm sure there's a bunch more.

alg posted:

yes you have to take baby powder. 100% a must for chafing.

I use a zinc based diaper rash cream. A&D, Desitin, Boudreaux's Butt Paste, whatever is available. That works best for me. The key is to use it before you start chafing. Prevention is the name of the game

WhiteHowler posted:

It's this. You basically can't avoid huge crowds anymore.

If it's not a spring/fall break for someone, it's a marathon week. Or a European holiday (ie. most of August). Or that week when all of Brazil inexplicably visits Disney.

And if it's not something like that, Disney will fire off a bunch of promotions and discounts to fill up the hotels and parks.

Plus now enough people are Disney-savvy that they know when the "slow" periods are and choose those times to visit, making them not-slow.

Just pick a week when the weather is likely to be least-oppressive and go.

Yep, all this is very true. There's 3 or 4 slow weeks still, but they cut the hours and attraction capacity, so it's almost not worth going. I rather go when the hours are longest, and the weather is good no matter how busy it is. We can plan around the crowds pretty easily. The kids are at an age though I can't take them out of school anymore, and we vacation with family from another state that has a different school calendar than us. Unfortunately it looks like it's going to be Summer trips for us for the next 10 years or so. I won't go the week of Thanksgiving or over Christmas.

Our best trips have always been the last week of Feb into the first week of March. You generally miss out on all the Presidents day travelers, and it's before most schools Spring Break schedule. That's our favorite time to visit.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 19, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Aquaphor and Bag Balm are way better for chafing than baby powder. Those are what I use for running and biking and they both last through sweat unlike powder.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Gold Bond powder very quickly became part of my standard park luggage

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Last couple trips I took to WDW were before Presidents’ Day in early February. Crowds were fairly low, except that it aligned with Brazilian quinceañeras and a cheerleading competition. And weather that time of year is great, especially when traveling from the Midwest where it’s still freezing and has snow in February.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
It has been a few years since I've visited now, but the best weeks I've found tend to be:

Early November, as long as you leave BEFORE the weekend before Thanksgiving.

The first two weeks of December.

Mid-January to late February, but you have to dodge the marathon weekend.

In the past I've seen a lot of corporate conferences happening around the beginning of the year. SalesForce had one at Coronado Springs starting the final day of my last visit, and the parks got ridiculously crowded. The year before, it was a big UPS conference, though that one wasn't as bad crowd-wise.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

huzzah

https://twitter.com/DisneyParks/status/1417233071716380675

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

quote:

Next time you visit, you may notice the table next to President Biden is adorned with a few special items, each with their own significance to the President—including peach blossoms to represent his home state of Delaware and a pair of aviators as a nod to his proclivity for the sunglasses.

This rules. They just need to add a set of Trans Am keys for the full Diamond Joe experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I went to Epcot this past Saturday. It's quiet enough that you can do the food stands if you arrive just before 11:00, when everything starts opening up. France gets mobbed instantly (probably because it's the closest to the Gateway) but most other stands will have no line or a very short one for the first few hours. Once you hit about 2:00 or 3:00, that's when it starts getting crazy.