Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/damnyouwillis/status/1416379882980904964?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

amigolupus posted:

Twenty years? Wait, did we just get a massive timeskip? :confused:

That fellow has been in the strip since the start and presumably arting since before then. We've seen well more than 10-15 years in strip already and 20 isn't a big stretch(i.e. the birth and now teenager years of that blonde girl, Rane's generation going from brats to young adults, etc.) It's really cool to see all his work at once, most of it has appeared individually in strips.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

amigolupus posted:

Twenty years? Wait, did we just get a massive timeskip? :confused:

Teuvo Viljanen has been an artist for twenty years. It is March 1995, the comic started in April 1976.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Yes, this reminds me that (for those of you who haven't been doing extracurricular reading) the entirety of June in 9CL was dedicated to the Ghulk's returning sex dreams about the ballerina, and how it made him doubt if he was gay at all. So basically, Brooke's Gay Pride Month storyline was "A Salute To Conversion Therapy".

Maybe it was a good call to stop posting before we got to that.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Yes, this reminds me that (for those of you who haven't been doing extracurricular reading) the entirety of June in 9CL was dedicated to the Ghulk's returning sex dreams about the ballerina, and how it made him doubt if he was gay at all. So basically, Brooke's Gay Pride Month storyline was "A Salute To Conversion Therapy".

Jesus loving christ

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

amigolupus posted:

Sound out "Kneel. Game N" slowly in your head.

(It's Neil Gaiman) :ssh:
Oh I got that, I just don't get why it's not Game G for Gaiman.

EasyEW posted:

I seriously don't understand how that strip is still going. It can't be in many papers. I doubt it gets much traffic online, although it's hard to tell since there are no comments. Could be a lot of people check in to see the train wreck I guess.

F Minus

Mark Trail

You've made a powerful enemy on this day, Trail.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

You'd think he wouldn't jump to the conclusion that they're being lazy since they just had a breakout.

Pooch Cafe

Who Cares Shut Up

Andertoons

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Dear Fastrack: quit your loving job and stop it.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Johnny Walker posted:

Who Cares Shut Up

Make it stop. Somebody, please, make it stop.
Easily the most idiotic, boring, annoying, waste-of-space strip in the thread right now.
And yes, I am aware that two Holbrook strips were just reintroduced.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Car chase ends better than it went, nicely done. I'd say surely tomorrow will neatly wrap up these two Mark Trail stories but Sunday is the animal facts strip so surely Monday will. And Mark acquiring a rogue's gallery of competing edutainment nerds would be great, Bee Sharp has definitely been the better antagonist of the three we got. Or make the next story about a genuine ecological menace like a poacher or something. New Mark Trail does pretty well with setting building.

Somebody take Rex Morgan out back and put it down.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Does the strip ever say what the Fastrack company does or manufactures?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I assume generic IT/computer support and maybe some sort of server or security infrastructure and staff. And/or generic Business setting Business. Definitely terrible visual jokes.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Drimble Wedge posted:

they are a direct competator to the Working Daze company in incoherent it company puns

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I'd say "Nice try Amurath" but it really wasn't. Come on man you kept the bloody knife!?

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Nov 12, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Sep 19-20, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

The book emphasizes that Bernhard really thought that Ester was a gold digger and would do anything to hold the countess' title, so he could keep humiliating her without consequences.

In the book Paul comes home and Bernhard telling him that his mother has left to a German spa. This comes as a surprise to everyone so rumors start spreading. The comic skips the first part for some reason, but the rumors start anyway, as we shall see.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Okay, so I have been extremely not paying attention to this strip, but just happened to read this one. I know that the answer to what I'm about to ask is going to be "Holbrook," but just so we're clear...

These mice are known to be sapient and have the power of speech and self-expression, but they're kept in a wire cage and experimented on by one of their own and nobody thinks this is horrifying abuse? Yeah, I know whose universe we're dealing with here, just checking.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 17, 2021

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Julet Esqu posted:

Okay, so I have been extremely not paying attention to this strip, but just happened to read this one. I know that the answer to what I'm about to ask is going to be "Holbrook," but just so we're clear...

These mice are known to be sapient and have the power of speech and self-expression, but they're kept in a wire cage and experimented on by one of their own and nobody thinks this is horrifying abuse? Yeah, I know whose universe we're dealing with here, just checking.

that's yesterdays Luann! today's is grosser!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Julet Esqu posted:

These mice are known to be sapient and have the power of speech and self-expression, but they're kept in a wire cage and experimented on by one of their own and nobody thinks this is horrifying abuse?

This is still somehow better than in the K&K universe where every inhabitant is a sapient animal and Lindsfarne keeps two mice imprisoned in her room as "research specimens."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

"You can do anything!"

"Can you help me do something?"

"No."

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

riderchop posted:

that's yesterdays Luann! today's is grosser!

Woops! Fixed it! Here it is for people who don't want to scroll back:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin under sail

Moomin stories tend to be a bit surreal and dreamlike, but this is solidly into dream logic-land at this point.

M

I have no idea what to make of this.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (November 1, 1989)

Foghorn Leghorn and Barnyard Dawg...

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

This feels like Dustin actually won an exchange, but that can't be the intended reading.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The idiot loser son asks for the impossible when he could work for it himself. His expression betrays his cheekiness, he knows he asks for too much and the wise father must endure his shenanigans. A Good Cartoon.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Julet Esqu posted:

Woops! Fixed it! Here it is for people who don't want to scroll back:

I am genuinely surprised they didn't try to memory-wipe this plotline.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Despite being pretty pro-worker and anti-corporate, I have a bad feeling that this is leading to Stuart being right and Marla being wrong. Hope I'm mistaken, because I'd love to see mohawk guy end up being a great worker just to spite Stuart.

I'm still struck by how contrary it is to the logic of Marla's previous encounters with "bad" job applicants that a dude who dresses with a mohawk, a nose chain, and visible tattoos under a tank top to a job interview is being treated like an ace hire for customer service in menswear. Like, the one department where Stuart's arbitrary rules would logically apply.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BigglesSWE posted:

I am genuinely surprised they didn't try to memory-wipe this plotline.

I'm going to try.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm going to try.

Would you like to test out my Memory-Wipe machine I've been working on?

it's just a bottle of vodka

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kennel posted:

Surgeon's Tales

The book emphasizes that Bernhard really thought that Ester was a gold digger and would do anything to hold the countess' title, so he could keep humiliating her without consequences.

In the book Paul comes home and Bernhard telling him that his mother has left to a German spa. This comes as a surprise to everyone so rumors start spreading. The comic skips the first part for some reason, but the rumors start anyway, as we shall see.

I was misreading this arc until now and combined Paul/Bernhard, and thus is was a "university atheist kid who thinks he's knows better and talks back is a complete jerk" moral.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I love this one :lol:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Johnny Walker posted:

Oh I got that, I just don't get why it's not Game G for Gaiman.

Because if you alphabetize by first name, the pun works.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zereth posted:

And pick a book that isn't famous for having two authors.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Johnny Walker posted:

Who Cares Shut Up

Gonna call it right now: the author's idea for his next story is a sequel or somehow otherwise depends on elements of Sarah's story and thus cannot exist unless the precocious little six-year-old agrees to let him use it.

I hate this loving strip.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Zereth posted:

Tolkien is not a first name.

I get the jokes it’s just not well executed.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Don't be silly, companies don't do things or make stuff. They're just a power structure.

I'm glad I can keep second-hand tabs on 9CL. Willis does stuff like quote 4 year old interviews w/ Brooke, so I worry it's taking over his brain.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set might want to work on its posture a bit more.

Working Daze ages ungracefully.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix will turn this off for $3.99.

Cul De Sac is getting into your head!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I got myself a comedy probe last night and immediately thought, "wait, poo poo, I should have waited until I posted my comics." Now featuring a returning star, sourced from the Detroit Evening Times. Will it have found its footing, or will it still be a little hard to follow? Guess we'll see.

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Shadow Dec. 23rd, 1940

Also, looking at the Detroit Evening Times, I noticed something odd in the financial section...

Sometimes I wonder about old layout. Going back and looking at old Dragon magazines has reminded me how often articles were split up into two or three sections spread throughout the magazine, which can make them difficult to use sometimes.

Axa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (July 20, 1974)

Funky WinkerCon

Crankshaft

Mutt And Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 16, 1938)

Out Our Way (January 11-13, 1937)

I'm physically wrung out today from overdoing a thing on Friday, and that is the excuse I'm using for cutting it short tonight.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 18, 2021