Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Sounds like that bootleg is getting an official release

I disagree.

It seems likely to be burned for the foreseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Shifty Nipples posted:

I have this awful sense of dread that we won't get significant precipitation until November.

If that happens all the trees will be dead. It hasn't rained here since mid June. No rain until November is a 5 month dry spell.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/MarcusWadsak/status/1416434354285338625

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Paradoxish posted:

People are super loving dumb. We went to the beach the day after like a solid week of just endless, torrential rain. Swimming was closed with a warning that was essentially "the ocean is sewage right now, do not go in."

Just hordes and hordes of people swimming and going in with their kids. We ended up leaving because it was kind of hard to chill with the lifeguards endlessly blowing their whistles at people.

yep

https://www.woodtv.com/news/michigan/dnr-proposes-fines-for-swimming-during-red-flag-warnings/

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Hurricane Felicia wants to try out cosplaying as a donut.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ugh, raspberry. no thanks.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
purple is a fruit!

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Back in the 90s I was visiting my grandparents in Indiana and they took us to the beach when there was a giant sewage spill in Lake Michigan, so I only got to play in the sand. I was so upset I couldn't go play in the water with all the other people, but adult me appreciates why I wasn't allowed to.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Lacrosse posted:

If that happens all the trees will be dead. It hasn't rained here since mid June. No rain until November is a 5 month dry spell.

Yeah

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I just... I don't loving get it. Like I vaguely understand the kind of stupidity that leads to "this is dangerous but I'm the best swimmer who ever lived so I'll be fine," but I don't understand the urge to swim in waters after a week straight of poop run-off. Poop water is not something I would want to be in under any circumstances so what the gently caress.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

paperwind posted:

aw it’s cute! :3:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

paperwind posted:

Hiiii Felicia

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

paperwind posted:

Climate change will make this custard filled.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jeez that thing is a Cat 4 already. Thankfully it appears like it will not affect land.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

one track in one model has it as a tropical storm hitting Hilo. having been to Hilo I’m not sure they’d notice it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

one track in one model has it as a tropical storm hitting Hilo. having been to Hilo I’m not sure they’d notice it.
Hawaii isn’t in the cone for now so I wouldn’t worry yet

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/deZabedrosky/status/1416531550930444289

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

... I'm pretty sure I just watched a woman die.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Wow Rize is really pretty. Or, I mean, was until it got washed away there.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Ardeem posted:

really? I hope not, the channel of water looks pretty narrow so I was hoping they were all to the side of it

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Ardeem posted:

it won't be the last

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
but can climate science really attribute that to climate change? where’s the attribution, people
/

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Love goons not understanding at all what my criticism was. But whatever. I'll keep getting paid to study the weather.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

really? I hope not, the channel of water looks pretty narrow so I was hoping they were all to the side of it

I think they mean the woman with the umbrella that’s climbing the stairs to the house. You can see her get caught in the debris right before the feed cuts

Very terrifying

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SirPablo posted:

Love goons not understanding at all what my criticism was. But whatever. I'll keep getting paid to study the weather.

I get what your criticism was but what was the point of even saying it in this particular thread - this is the weather lol thread, not the serious thread in the other forum where people talk about serious poo poo.

Also - weather gets way more extreme, unstable, harder to predict as climate change starts to throw off models that base their predictions off of historical data so like yeah goons are gonna be like "wow gently caress climate change" every time another record gets broken or a town thats been in place for 500+ years gets fuckin wiped out by an unprecedented flood.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

SirPablo posted:

When a storm breaks 200-year old rainfall records, in some cases doubling the previous record, and causes flooding unprecedented in living memory, I'm pretty OK with attributing that to climate change. I'm sure your Credentials are very impressive though.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

silicone thrills posted:

I get what your criticism was but what was the point of even saying it in this particular thread - this is the weather lol thread, not the serious thread in the other forum where people talk about serious poo poo.

Also - weather gets way more extreme, unstable, harder to predict as climate change starts to throw off models that base their predictions off of historical data so like yeah goons are gonna be like "wow gently caress climate change" every time another record gets broken or a town thats been in place for 500+ years gets fuckin wiped out by an unprecedented flood.

You're right, this is the dumb weather thread and I should respect that.

The Pussy Boss posted:

When a storm breaks 200-year old rainfall records, in some cases doubling the previous record, and causes flooding unprecedented in living memory, I'm pretty OK with attributing that to climate change. I'm sure your Credentials are very impressive though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SirPablo posted:

You're right, this is the dumb weather thread and I should respect that.

If anybody asks you about weather disasters in real life, feel free to go "yeah, climate change is loving us all" rather than "well, let me prove I'm the smartest and most credentialled weather researcher, I know that there's only an XX% chance that climate change led to this disaster and there are a lot of other factors that could ..."

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/WrightScribe/status/1416877332128694274

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

being upwind owns

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

If anybody asks you about weather disasters in real life, feel free to go "yeah, climate change is loving us all" rather than "well, let me prove I'm the smartest and most credentialled weather researcher, I know that there's only an XX% chance that climate change led to this disaster and there are a lot of other factors that could ..."

Are the weekly unemployment checks still goosed an extra $300?

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
managing to make such lovely posts in a non-serious thread about weather is just astounding. incredible work being awful to interact with.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
there are some choice spicy quotes in this BBC article

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-57863205.amp

“It’s is impossible to say how much of an emergency we are in because we don’t have the tools to answer the question,"

lol

lmao

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

there are some choice spicy quotes in this BBC article

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-57863205.amp

“It’s is impossible to say how much of an emergency we are in because we don’t have the tools to answer the question,"

lol

lmao

lol i think its p easy to come to the conclusion that we are in fact hosed

I mean like if the Iron Sheik and has you in the camel clutch and broken you back and made you humble, you can't be like "well IDK how fuckd my legs are because I can't feel them" just take my word for it that your legs are, in fact, completely hosed

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

weather and climate are two sides of the same coin, in a harvey dent sort of way

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Pooky posted:

managing to make such lovely posts in a non-serious thread about weather is just astounding. incredible work being awful to interact with.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

in fact i think you'll find that the phrase "ancient hurricane burial ground" is unscientific and imprecise

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

otoh you should wait for the attribution studies because they are hilarious

I spent a bunch of time working with stormwater academics after our 1000-year rainfall event and their read on anything with a frequency of 1000 years or greater is that it's a polite way of saying "we have absolutely no data for that part of the curve and it's all just extrapolation, but hey it could happen"

a 20,000-year event is so far off the charts that even referencing the chart is only useful for shock value

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Infuriating liberal poo poo. Education and family planning. Shut the gently caress up! The only thing guaranteed to stabilize birthrates to replacement levels or lower is eliminating income inequality.

God this is exactly like when Bill and Melinda Gates visited some poor people in the United States then said "Oh what these people need is more and better education!"
They need loving money!

:wrong:

Perry, go back and read my post again when you're not drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Perry, go back and read my post again when you're not drunk.

Absolutely not. Communicate your ideas better next time. I'm not gonna be sober for you or anyone else, bucko.