Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Alright, I got Grand Duchy and Relentless Push East! Next roll gave me Core-Fu, so that's gonna be fun.

I'm now at 90 achievements out of 318.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Core-Fu down, that was fairly easy. Next is Six Nations. Huh, I thought I already had that one.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
did they patch the game yet or are we still waiting for the post levi unfucking to occur

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

MonsieurChoc posted:

Core-Fu down, that was fairly easy. Next is Six Nations. Huh, I thought I already had that one.

Are you really going to keep updating us for every single achievement you get? Can’t wait to read another 200 of these posts

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Mr. Grinch posted:

did they patch the game yet or are we still waiting for the post levi unfucking to occur

It's been patched like 5 times, it's just that most of the mechanics of Leviathan are loving awful.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

my watch continues I guess

Thanks

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Mr. Grinch posted:

my watch continues I guess

Thanks

You are gonna be waiting a long time, everything is working as PDX intends. They fixed all the lovely bugs and such but the brokenness or concentrating dev and free favors are "features".

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Are you really going to keep updating us for every single achievement you get? Can’t wait to read another 200 of these posts

I hope they do, legitimately :)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Firebatgyro posted:

You are gonna be waiting a long time, everything is working as PDX intends. They fixed all the lovely bugs and such but the brokenness or concentrating dev and free favors are "features".

You're not wrong, but I'm surprised at how shaky the active user count looks post-expansion. Hopefully it'll motivate them to start looking at EU5 in the near future.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

It's pretty discouraging to see EU4 end up this way. Leviathan wasn't the first botched expansion, though it was certainly the worst of them.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

lol between WoW, EVE, and EU4, the last year or so has been a giant shitshow

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

I just wanna talk EU4 without having to deal with the Deus Vult freaks in other places.

I like the game, as weirdly broken as the current state is.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
EU4 is definitely shambling along like a corpse, and I hope 5 is on the cards soon after V3. But I still do love it and the current patch is perfectly fun now.

Also between the insane bugs and the online nerd rage I wouldn't trade the leviathan release for the world. We almost got back to the heights of "Sunset Invasion removed my ability to feel human"

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"Sunset Invasion removed my ability to feel human"

what is this

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Also I'll probably need help from this thread when I roll some very hard achievements. The ones I got so far were pretty easy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mr. Grinch posted:

what is this

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/casualisation-and-streamlining.647344/

quote:

October 31st, 2012 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the business practices of a single video game company, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced their new DLC tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Paradox Interactive was a company I respected, and their employees were people I looked up to. Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Victoria, and Hearts of Iron were all quality game series that combined historical accuracy with sandbox game worlds. These games may have been cartoony and humorous at times, but deep down they were always realistic and crafted with a level of detail and skill that won appreciation from gamers all across the internet. CK2 was their newest release, and the internet was in unanimous agreement that it was of unparallelled quality. Following it's long awaited release, Paradox began releasing quality DLC that raised the bar ever higher for Grand Strategy Games.

Then Sunset Invasion was announced. This was not just an announcement of DLC, it was announcement of Paradox Interactive's suicide. It was an expansion intended to completely disregard any historical accuracy, and instead shock the entire world with its lunacy. Paradox Interactive had gone off the deep end and raised the middle finger to everybody who stayed loyal to them. They had announced that they didn't care anymore, that they didn't care for their community, and they were going to go out of their way to sabotage everything they had spent years creating.

The pain I felt from this betrayal has destroyed me on an emotional level, and has deprived me of my primary source of entertainment. No longer can I play Grand Strategy games without remembering the day I ceased mattering to people I devoted myself to. Paradox had not just destroyed me or their company, they had destroyed the one force of stability in the world: Trust.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i can only hope to one day shock the world with my lunacy

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also I'll probably need help from this thread when I roll some very hard achievements. The ones I got so far were pretty easy.
How hard was Core-Fu? Its one of the ones I didnt think I'd ever bother to try because I imagine with the Ottomans right there it would be next to impossible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

How hard was Core-Fu? Its one of the ones I didnt think I'd ever bother to try because I imagine with the Ottomans right there it would be next to impossible.

Extremely easy: make sure Venice loses 5 provinces (but does no cede or revoke core) during your war for independence, and then as soon as the truce is over go to war with Venice again and revoke those 5 cores. I had Ottoman as my ally so it was a piece of cake.

Speaking of harder achievements, I did Six Nations in literal seconds (play as Onondaga, invite two people in your Federation, boom there you go) and now I rolled Home and Away. So I need to make Super Wales.

Edit: Hmm, there's two ways to do Super Wales. I can just create a big England/UK and then abuse mechanics to give cores to Wales, or I can play as Wales from the start and conquer my way out. Second option sounds more fun but harder.

I think they changed how playing as a vassal works. I bankrupted England and then when I switched to Wales I also had -3 stab.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 18, 2021

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Edit: Hmm, there's two ways to do Super Wales. I can just create a big England/UK and then abuse mechanics to give cores to Wales, or I can play as Wales from the start and conquer my way out. Second option sounds more fun but harder.

I think they changed how playing as a vassal works. I bankrupted England and then when I switched to Wales I also had -3 stab.

This is one I don't have either so I decided to try it out. Gave away 2 wars worth of provinces to Wales and then conquered them and released and yeah you get the same stability as the overlord apparently. Not really a huge issue I guess since the independence war kills your stab anyway.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

EU4 is definitely shambling along like a corpse, and I hope 5 is on the cards soon after V3. But I still do love it and the current patch is perfectly fun now.

You'll always have Imperator Rome, it won't get any worse!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ilitarist posted:

You'll always have Imperator Rome, it won't get any worse!

I've genuinely switched over to Imperator for my mapgaming fix, since it's significantly better than EU4 is now, and arguably better than EU4 ever was.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

PittTheElder posted:

You're not wrong, but I'm surprised at how shaky the active user count looks post-expansion. Hopefully it'll motivate them to start looking at EU5 in the near future.

I don't have a lot of faith in the ongoing development of the game tbh. Leviathan has some interesting elements but the state of it on release was awful and even with most of them fixed, it's still got balance issues, and this is the team that's going to be making the new expansions going forward. I understand it's a new team, but from a consumer perspective there were so many issues with Leviathan I don't think it's likely that by the time the next expansion is released, the same team will have gotten a handle on how to do an expansion without any huge game-breaking bugs or balance issues.

It's funny, I remember in one of the dev diaries on adding new provinces to Australia, the person doing the map rework said they weren't allowed to add any further provinces for balance reasons. So having some more 1/1/1 desert provinces to make it easier to walk around the south coast or the centre of Australia is bad balance, but allowing Majahapit to vassalise the entirety of Ming China in one war, or half of the bonuses the monuments get, is totally fine lol.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Leviathan was pretty much a bloated whale carcass washing up on a beach.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Poil posted:

Leviathan was pretty much a bloated whale carcass washing up on a beach.

Also it popped.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Extremely easy: make sure Venice loses 5 provinces (but does no cede or revoke core) during your war for independence, and then as soon as the truce is over go to war with Venice again and revoke those 5 cores. I had Ottoman as my ally so it was a piece of cake.

Speaking of harder achievements, I did Six Nations in literal seconds (play as Onondaga, invite two people in your Federation, boom there you go) and now I rolled Home and Away. So I need to make Super Wales.

Yeah starting as a vassal actually makes it significantly easier since you can get big buff tags to support independence that would never ally you, including sometimes the Ottomans themselves.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 18, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I got a good Wales start: conquered Pale in my independance war, which I then set up as my Irish vassal, and also got an alliance and royal marriage with Burgundy. An event even made the heir of my Dynasty! If I can get the Burgundian inheritance, this will help a lot.

I'm also thinking about trying for the 8 Wonders cheevo this run too, since I'm gonna have a whole bunch jsut by taking the provinces I need for the achievement. I probably would need to stay Catholic though, and Anglican is just too good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Got owned by France and rage-quit that game.

If I'd gotten the Burgundian inheritance or less lovely events I might have pulled it off. As is gotta restart.

Edit: this next attempt I'm gonna go for the cheap feed Wales, then absorb it, then re-release it trick.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 20, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I finally learned how to make a small mod and it actually works! :toot:
Now I only need to figure out how to get it on to the workshop in an acceptable manner.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

This England game is pretty blessed, I got both Castile and France in PUs.

Maybe I'll try to split this save file in two somehow, so I could keep playing as England after getting the Wales cheevo.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Well I finally did the On the Rhodes > King of Jerusalem run, and after two hundred years the Ottomans are officially off the map. Still playing on 1.30.6 since I'm wary about the new features.

Following the missions made it fairly straightforward. I didn't realize until this game that buying an indulgence gives you +75 relations with the Pope, but because of this I could get relations to +150 fairly quickly which gives claims on Byzantine Greece, then annex all of Byzantium in a single war with Venetian help. By occupying all of the Greek provinces first, Venice will not complain about not getting land in the peace deal and they even transferred ownership of Constantinople when they sieged it down, which was a good thing since I didn't have enough transports for a naval landing. While there's no initial claim on Constantinople you do get it via mission right after the peace, so just click the mission to save costs before coring. After that I annexed Epirus and allied Albania, and when the Ottomans attacked Albania in the 1460s the joint defense with some added mercs was just enough to throw them back across the Bosporus.

After that it was about 60 years of consolidation and preparing to take on the Mamluks, who at their peak had absorbed half of Anatolia. Castile fully conquered Aragon in Iberia and I was able to snap up Sicily in the meantime, then they lost a series of wars to France and Morocco leaving them in the sad state they are in now. Naples was briefly a PU under France then broke free, which let the Knights walk right in to southern Italy. Austria fell under a PU with Bregenz and lost the HRE to Bohemia, leading to a super Bohemia with PUs over Poland and Burgundy as well as direct control over most of former Lithuania. The Mamluks declared a coalition war against me in the 1530s, the Bohemia/Tuscany/Papal alliances pulled through, and I was able to get all of the Antioch and Jerusalem lands in the peace deal. The Dutch independence war happened in the middle of fighting the Mamluks and led to Bohemia having to face Russia and France while most of their army was in the Levant, but they somehow managed to retain most of their territory during this and only had to give up Netherlands and a few French provinces. I waited another 20 years before forming Jerusalem since you lose a chunk of naval capacity when doing it and I still wanted the ships against the remaining Mamluk fleet for subsequent wars.

Ideas taken were Diplomacy > Humanist > Offensive, since the extra alliances and religious unity were very helpful in the early game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I’ve been playing EU4 again for the first time since 1.31 launched cause the new Anbennar is out and man performance for this game is terrible now. I used to have a fairly smooth experience for at least the first 200 years and now the slowdown is noticeable by 1500. It plays like 1945 Hoi4 already

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Davincie posted:

I’ve been playing EU4 again for the first time since 1.31 launched cause the new Anbennar is out and man performance for this game is terrible now. I used to have a fairly smooth experience for at least the first 200 years and now the slowdown is noticeable by 1500. It plays like 1945 Hoi4 already

That's not my experience at all so I might blame Anbennar. It didn't slow the game for me in the last patch at all though. So who knows really.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Only times I've noticed real performance issues is when everyone in the world jumps on Vijaynagar because of that AE bug. And that's only happened in two or three games for me.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Wow playing as a smaller nation is really tough. Milan is the first nation I’ve played outside the major ones and you have to pay so much more attention to alliances, coring times and aggressive expansion.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's mostly an Italy problem tbh

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Goddamit, all I need to do is win an independance war against GB and get Roma in the peace deal, why is this so hard!?!?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Sri.Theo posted:

Wow playing as a smaller nation is really tough. Milan is the first nation I’ve played outside the major ones and you have to pay so much more attention to alliances, coring times and aggressive expansion.

This is where you realize that coalitions aren't there to prevent someone from hegemony, but to stop your Milan from vassalizing Genoa or something.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ilitarist posted:

This is where you realize that coalitions aren't there to prevent someone from hegemony, but to stop your Milan from vassalizing Genoa or something.

ottomans eat ten provinces at a time: this is fine

milan takes pisa: everyone in europe from the tip of naples to the northernmost reaches of sweden declares war

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Jazerus posted:

ottomans eat ten provinces at a time: this is fine

milan takes pisa: everyone in europe from the tip of naples to the northernmost reaches of sweden declares war

At least it's logically consistent. Ottos eating 10 in Italy gets the same result, eating 10 lovely Serbian provinces gets a "well orthodox aren't really proper Christians so don't really care"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd take Genoa alone over any ten balkan provinces that aren't Constantinople or Kosovo, every time.