Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Honestly the best part of working from home is avoiding a lovely commute. Roll out of bed. Put on a dress shirt for video conferences. Done. I don't need to wake up at 6:00am to beat traffic to the office.

I can't go back to the office after working at home this past year. I'm too much of a slob at this point for a professional workplace. I never need to hold in a fart in my home office so I completely lost control of my flatulence.
The terrible secret of society is that you never really needed to control your flatulence to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Imagined posted:

It's all well and good except for the part where you project this attitude that you feel superior to other people who don't do what you consider "actual work". Who the hell are you to decide whether other people do "actual work"?

For one thing, most "actual work" couldn't exist today without the technology and finance enabled and supported by the computer touchers and administrators you think are less essential than you. It's one thing for me to come on here and say MY job is bullshit and shouldn't exist, but I'm not going to sit here and listen to someone else say it without telling them to go take a long walk off a short pier.

All jobs are bullshit, there's no such thing as "actual work"

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Improbable Lobster posted:

All jobs are bullshit, there's no such thing as "actual work"

I hope you're okay without food then.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just imagine for a second you didn’t have to work and could live out your manly construction fantasies whenever you wanted.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SkyeAuroline posted:

I hope you're okay without food then.

Jobs are fake

Labour is real but jobs are fake

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Whats the difference? how much do you need to see someones face one on one to feel comfortable? Why can't you just zoom/teams/skype in? I don't understand people that need to smell/feel/visualise(without video) their colleagues to make progress. It is so pathetic. If you like your colleagues and get along as friends, go see them out of work hours in social settings.

Eh, there IS an advantage to the kind of incidental, casual communication that comes from having everyone in the same place. It's a little hard to describe, but when everyone's remote, communication becomes a thing that's only done deliberately. When everyone's together, it's much easier to pick up a team's unwritten knowledge just by being present in the room.

Is that advantage worth the hassle of putting on pants and commuting to an office every day? No. Absolutely not. But it does exist.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I say this as someone who thinks most work should be remote: training new people is vastly easier in-person than remotely

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Stupid poo poo my kid's job does: gently caress up payroll and make the kid wait an extra week for a paycheck, twice.

It's a Pizza place who uses a 3rd party payroll processor, but making their fuckups his problem is about as American as it gets.
He sent his boss a few long texts reminding him that the deal was pretty simple - work, get paid on time. Someone isn't holding up their end here and there sure are lots of food businesses desperate to hire right now.

Supposedly he's getting a paper check overnighted, we'll see.

Re: WFH/Face time.
Over the past 16 months, I've done a sort of hybrid WFH. I'm responsible for equipment that can be accessed/worked with remotely by others to work with, so I do need to go into the office somewhat regularly both to set this up and maintain it/run experiments on it. I think I've learned what I can easily do at home and what I should go into the office for.
Basically: most tasks that require only my work laptop can be done from home. Anything that requires a connection to other hardware is best done locally. It can be done remotely, but the VMs are so slow that it's less frustrating and more efficient to just go in and plug in locally.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

Stupid poo poo my kid's job does: gently caress up payroll and make the kid wait an extra week for a paycheck, twice.

It's a Pizza place who uses a 3rd party payroll processor, but making their fuckups his problem is about as American as it gets.
He sent his boss a few long texts reminding him that the deal was pretty simple - work, get paid on time. Someone isn't holding up their end here and there sure are lots of food businesses desperate to hire right now.

Get in touch with his state’s version of the Bureau of Labor and Industry. They take a very dim view of paycheck fuckery, especially if it happens more than once.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Blowdryer posted:

can you not imagine business processes that require on premises work? it sounds like you've interpreted his post as if he is some whiny weirdo who wants to go back to the office just to bother other people and due to a lack of a social life.

Strategic Tea posted:

Haha my work is about half as efficient remotely and as a result I have spent the last year under unsustainable levels of stress as clients and regulators demand the goddamn impossible, and the firm does nothing because we gotta get more clients more clients MORE CLIENTS

I hope home working never ends :thumbsup:

Powered Descent posted:

Eh, there IS an advantage to the kind of incidental, casual communication that comes from having everyone in the same place. It's a little hard to describe, but when everyone's remote, communication becomes a thing that's only done deliberately. When everyone's together, it's much easier to pick up a team's unwritten knowledge just by being present in the room.

Is that advantage worth the hassle of putting on pants and commuting to an office every day? No. Absolutely not. But it does exist.

Fair enough. I had the opposite experience, I was forced to work in office 100% since covid, got covid twice in that time, and now I'm WFH and get more done, less bullshit meetings/talk about nothing. I roll out of bed, start my day, no smoke breaks, eat lunch at the computer etc and just get the work done. I just find there's less time wasted on the physicality of being at the office, the chit-chat, and useless meetings. Also been using a ticketing system where I can respond to user needs, and also work on projects according to the work plan, and meetings are done over Teams with video. Has been pretty chilled.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

Report it like the other poster said and your kid should probably find another job asap. If they can't make payroll they're probably near closing and your kid won't ever see his money.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Pekinduck posted:

Report it like the other poster said and your kid should probably find another job asap. If they can't make payroll they're probably near closing and your kid won't ever see his money.

Noted on the reporting, but the issue is a genuine fuckup: his older brother used to work there and payroll sent the money to the wrong account both times.

I have once in my life not gotten a paycheck. That was at a small startup over 20 years ago. A new investor ended up picking up the payroll tab even though they didn't end up buying the place? It was weird, right around 9/11

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TotalLossBrain posted:

Noted on the reporting, but the issue is a genuine fuckup: his older brother used to work there and payroll sent the money to the wrong account both times.

I have once in my life not gotten a paycheck. That was at a small startup over 20 years ago. A new investor ended up picking up the payroll tab even though they didn't end up buying the place? It was weird, right around 9/11

I had one place stiff me on pay. Two hapless entrepreneurs trying to do Door Dash in 1988 ran out of money. I finished my sift and asked for my check. They said they didn't have the money. There's one critical mistake on their part: I was still holding my cash bag with, coincidentally, a paycheck's worth of cash in it. We worked it out, I got a check written for enough over what I was due to cover the fee from a check cashing place and they got cash.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

guy either catfished in his interview or outsourced his job on day one

very high power technique

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Spoke to my boss on the phone and he gave me my to-do list for all of this week’s WFH activities.

I asked him if he had checked his email because I had sent him one last night with all of that, 100 percent of it; completed.

Dammit, I suck at withholding deliverables and parceling them out so it looks like I’ve been working all week.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Spoke to my boss on the phone and he gave me my to-do list for all of this week’s WFH activities.

I asked him if he had checked his email because I had sent him one last night with all of that, 100 percent of it; completed.

Dammit, I suck at withholding deliverables and parceling them out so it looks like I’ve been working all week.

lol you hosed up

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

VileLL posted:

guy either catfished in his interview or outsourced his job on day one

very high power technique

We absolutely need to make this a reality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYaZ57Bn4pQ

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TotalLossBrain posted:

lol you hosed up

Luckily I had a stash of items I can do that send out completion emails when I do them even if what I have to do is just input “lol we’re hosed on this until the building is open again”.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Re: screenshot OCR

I'm pretty sure Power Automate (the free desktop app) does this.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

mllaneza posted:

I had one place stiff me on pay. Two hapless entrepreneurs trying to do Door Dash in 1988 ran out of money. I finished my sift and asked for my check. They said they didn't have the money. There's one critical mistake on their part: I was still holding my cash bag with, coincidentally, a paycheck's worth of cash in it. We worked it out, I got a check written for enough over what I was due to cover the fee from a check cashing place and they got cash.

My first job at 15 was washing dishes for a restaurant owned by a guy who had started like 8 failed restaurants in 10 years, and this was his latest venture. The place was a dumpster fire, and I worked like 3 months before I quit. I was even one of the last starting crew to quit, as almost the entire kitchen quit the first month.

I went back through my paychecks and saw they owed me like $500 (and this was when minimum wage was $5.15). I told them and they basically said to gently caress off. Fortunately they had invested in this ridiculous clock in system that printed receipts every time you clocked in/out, even for a ten-minute break. I had a stack of receipts with every hour I had worked, so I walked in and told them I was coming back with a lawyer if they didn’t write a check then and there. Which worked, because the owner was already fighting like 3 lawsuits.

I’m always glad that happened at my first job, because it too me to never trust my company and always look out for myself first.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I had a stack of receipts with every hour I had worked, so I walked in and told them I was coming back with a lawyer if they didn’t write a check then and there. Which worked, because the owner was already fighting like 3 lawsuits.

I’m always glad that happened at my first job, because it too me to never trust my company and always look out for myself first.

Most (by volume, but not be $ amount) fair labor standard act (FLSA) lawsuits are someone salaried claiming they worked 60 hours per week every week when in reality they maybe worked 42.5. If you walk in to a wage and hour plaintiffs attorneys office with a stack of time receipts where you know the unpaid amount is like $2000, you're likely going to get double damages at a bare bare BARE minimum.

FYI the cost to file an FLSA lawsuit is $400. The cost in attorneys fees to get through a round of simple discovery with a solo or small firm is about $6000. So if you're owed $2000, you can walk with $4000 pre-tax easily, and it's actually doing your old boss a favor.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 18, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CarForumPoster posted:

Most (by volume, but not be $ amount) fair labor standard act (FLSA) lawsuits are someone salaried claiming they worked 60 hours per week every week when in reality they maybe worked 42.5. If you walk in to a wage and hour plaintiffs attorneys office with a stack of time receipts where you know the unpaid amount is like $2000, you're likely going to get double damages at a bare bare BARE minimum.

FYI the cost to file an FLSA lawsuit is $400. The cost in attorneys fees to get through a round of simple discovery with a solo or small firm is about $6000. So if you're owed $2000, you can walk with $4000 pre-tax easily, and it's actually doing your old boss a favor.

I got triple damages in 2014 when I was fired for talking about pay, though I was lucky that my job was dumb enough they put that in writing. It came out to like 15k.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I got triple damages in 2014 when I was fired for talking about pay, though I was lucky that my job was dumb enough they put that in writing. It came out to like 15k.

Lmao I’m always shocked the number of broken employment laws people write into contracts

I saw one independent contractor agreement that paid less than min wage, included a non compete, and basically failed all the tests for IC versus employee. I found out about it when they sued their ex-totally-not-an-employee to enforce the non compete.

They were not successful.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CarForumPoster posted:

Lmao I’m always shocked the number of broken employment laws people write into contracts

I saw one independent contractor agreement that paid less than min wage, included a non compete, and basically failed all the tests for IC versus employee. I found out about it when they sued their ex-totally-not-an-employee to enforce the non compete.

When I left my urgent care job I ended up taking some of their occ health clients without even trying and they tried to go after me for their unenforceable noncompete. It cost me like 200 bucks for my lawyer to send them a letter that was basically “lol get hosed that’s not enforceable” and they hosed off forever.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

CarForumPoster posted:

Working in the Netherlands for a Dutch company was the first time in my entire working life that I ever had an actual employment contract. I had no idea of the value of such a thing until the company laid us off and technically had to break the contract. I realized after the whole process was over that Americans either never had or have given away anything to protect employees.

The fact that I got as a legally mandatory part of being fired a lawyer paid for by the company to aid in the negotiation of breaking the contract was shocking to me. The laywer I hired found a couple of lovely things the company did that were against Dutch labor law and got me extra money and time so that she wouldn't force the company into labor court. It worked out really well and I came out way ahead not only cash wise but I work for a way better company now.

On the US side, you're fired, you have two weeks, here's a week's pay for every year, good luck.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Local Weather posted:

On the US side, you're fired, you have two weeks, here's a week's pay for every year, good luck.

Perhaps, though in the USA the plaintiffs lawyers are on contingency so if the company hosed up, and they often do, or even if they might look like they did, anyone who wants a lawyer can have one and pay nothing unless they win with almost no risk of paying anything if they lose.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve had employment contracts that were explicitly not at will in the US a couple times, it was nice getting severance and all that when I got laid off. Don’t have one now, sadly.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Powered Descent posted:

Absolutely. I started a new job during the pandemic and it was agony trying to get info from people without being able to glance over and see who wasn't on the phone, or get a read on body language for if I was bothering them even though they were saying they had time for questions. Nope, I just have to send a message and wait. Every little thing takes ages.

Meanwhile, I've developed this aversion to being in my computer room because it feels like work. I don't have enough space for a dedicated work desk. :(

In general, I assume the people who seem genuinely angry at the idea of people wanting to be in the office are the folks who are forced to be in the office.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's about working where you want to because you don't actually need to be anywhere specific. For a lot of people, that's at home.

It's a weird shift back to a form of cottage industry.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Dude dropped off his PC today. Bedbugs were crawling out of it.

gently caress going into offices.

Edit: LOL, HR pulled bedbug guy's record and this isn't the first time he's brought an infestation so he's probably fired.

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 19, 2021

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I was excited to be making two paychecks at the same time but my on-site job, which in no way needs to be on-site, just started hassling me for having my other company's laptop out during the day.

I need the paycheck but I can't tolerate this. Going to apply to every fully remote consumer packaged good / import export job I can find starting right now. I'm done. Hope I find something new soon. gently caress this

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Dude dropped off his PC today. Bedbugs were crawling out of it.

gently caress going into offices.

Edit: LOL, HR pulled bedbug guy's record and this isn't the first time he's brought an infestation so he's probably fired.

I am loving AGHAST. I physically recoiled from reading this post.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Batterypowered7 posted:

I am loving AGHAST. I physically recoiled from reading this post.

When I did computer service I had a desktop brought in that the customer said would not power on. I figured out why pretty quick - it was soaked, just loving saturated, with cat piss. It got relocated outside my office, outside the building, due to the reek. It did not get repaired.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

kntfkr posted:

I was excited to be making two paychecks at the same time but my on-site job, which in no way needs to be on-site, just started hassling me for having my other company's laptop out during the day.

I need the paycheck but I can't tolerate this. Going to apply to every fully remote consumer packaged good / import export job I can find starting right now. I'm done. Hope I find something new soon. gently caress this

I remember that moment, that moment where you've finally resolved yourself to get the gently caress out.

I was a computer technician and finished a pretty big repair, replaced the mother and hard drive for a stupid old computer. Notified the customer multiple times and specifically noted down my attempts to get this dumbass lady's property out of my life. Like 5 months later she comes in complaining nobody contacted her, manager hears her out and decides to refund her the whole loving thing, parts and labor came out to around 450 or so. All that work and money and the poo poo head just lets her walk out of the store with a basically brand new old computer.

From that day onward I made up my mind that I will never work in a customer service capacity for the rest of my life.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Yes! I'm headed towards that same vow but w/r/t being in an office. If the only benefit is that I can be scolded for something that was OK a month ago that doesn't effect my productivity then I'm not the one that needs to adapt. Not excited about juggling two jobs and interviews but if I can land two salaries and stay at the beach then it's worth it.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
But are you juggling two full time jobs, or part time? and is it because you need to, or to rake in the cash? I think I could do a second full time job remotely in the same area I'm currently working in, but I don't need to and i don't know if it'd be worth working so much. Also, how do you deal with meetings that are scheduled at the same time? Many meetings it's on me to tell them when I'm free, but for my manager and their manager it would start to become suspicious if I kept changing their meeting request dates/times over and over.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Lascivious Sloth posted:

But are you juggling two full time jobs, or part time? and is it because you need to, or to rake in the cash? I think I could do a second full time job remotely in the same area I'm currently working in, but I don't need to and i don't know if it'd be worth working so much. Also, how do you deal with meetings that are scheduled at the same time? Many meetings it's on me to tell them when I'm free, but for my manager and their manager it would start to become suspicious if I kept changing their meeting request dates/times over and over.

It was two full time jobs. It was to rake in cash because I needed too and could. I've been lucky enough to have a remote job since March 2020, it's maybe 5-10 hours of actual work per week. So I got a second job, locally, in April to help with the debt, fifteen hundred a month childcare for our three year old and put away $ before second child is born in February. Both jobs had the exact same salary. When I interviewed I said I could take this lowered salary on the basis that I'd keep my other laptop open during the day and it wouldn't take too much of my time.

I completed all my tasks ahead of schedule BUT

On a busy day, I got enough phone calls to piss off my new job boss and having a second laptop open on my desk became a point of contention for her. She emailed me about it for the second time yesterday and I walked off site. I came in this morning and was locked out of email. It was totally a decorum thing. There was never any need to be on-site for this job to begin with.

I'm done with offices.

I am now applying for fully remote jobs

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

we took away the table that the manager always sat on to extend our "standup" meetings to over 30 minutes daily. partly it was always in the way and people were running into it, partly it would have shortened how long these goddamn meetings run.

except he switched to sitting on someone else's desk with their permission and now the meetings are even longer, gently caress

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Putting your rear end all over social distancing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Stop discriminating against people who can't stand up for extended periods.

Hold your stand-up in a vertical drinking establishment like God intended.