Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Grevlek posted:

Is it okay to post my sealed pool list and have you roast me about how bad I am? I went 0/4 at prerelease tonight. I won a game each round, and had competitive game threes, but I just didn't have the gas to finish. It was my second prerelease, I went to THB, and then something happened where I couldn't go to them again for over a year.

Why not? People do it all the time in the Arena thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/hfwsZm1AdUWATohQrBgKTQ

So I think I should have added the Earth Cult Elementals or something, it didn't look like I had anything to curve into. Maybe I should have gone into white a bit too? I put all the WRG cards in the sideboard, and the rest of the cards in the 'considering' pile.

I had 40 cards for R1 and R2, but after R2 I added Compelled Duel, Price of Loyalty, and You Find a Cursed Idol.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yup, a lot of cards in there I wouldn't be playing.

Barbarian Class is a questionable card in general, but in your deck especially it does very little.

I would not play Price of Loyalty without sac outlets. Doubly so in Sealed.

In Sealed also I'd avoid low impact cards like a lot of your equipment. In general you should be playing more creatures, and you have some decent ones available.

Tiger Tribe Hunter is great. The green and red six drops and valor singer are all fine cards. And Bulette isn't very good.

I'd play some more of your red removal.

I think I'd also make a spot for Shessra, because running out of cards after trading blows without your opponents side of the board is one of the biggest problems in Sealed.

e:also just wondering whether you typed in every card, or there's an automated way of importing your pool (like from photos)?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Rinkles posted:

An official Start Wars expansion now seems inevitable.

But for real, I am curious what properties they’ll try next (and I do think they’ll want to). Idk what other IPs Hasbro has access to that could plausibly work.

Heroscape, Heroquest, Transformers, My Little Pony, Micronauts, ROM: Space Knight, Battle Beasts, Inhumanoids, Jem and the Holograms, M.A.S.K., Nerf, Visionaries, and tons of licensed properties that they're on good terms with including Marvel, Power Rangers and Disney

I eagerly await Secret Lair: Nerf War with alt art Nerf versions of Sword of Fire and Ice, Viridian Longbow and Ratchet Bomb Except It's A Nerf Spiral Football

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Silhouette posted:

Heroscape, Heroquest, Transformers, My Little Pony, Micronauts, ROM: Space Knight, Battle Beasts, Inhumanoids, Jem and the Holograms, M.A.S.K., Nerf, Visionaries, and tons of licensed properties that they're on good terms with including Marvel, Power Rangers and Disney

I eagerly await Secret Lair: Nerf War with alt art Nerf versions of Sword of Fire and Ice, Viridian Longbow and Ratchet Bomb Except It's A Nerf Spiral Football

If we finally get the long awaited ROM/Marvel reunion as an MtG set, a bunch of nerds will spontaneously combust.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Grevlek posted:

Is it okay to post my sealed pool list and have you roast me about how bad I am? I went 0/4 at prerelease tonight. I won a game each round, and had competitive game threes, but I just didn't have the gas to finish. It was my second prerelease, I went to THB, and then something happened where I couldn't go to them again for over a year.

*edit

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/hfwsZm1AdUWATohQrBgKTQ

i added Compelled Duel, Price of Loyalty, and You Find a Cursed Idol after Match 2 without taking anything out.

You had an absolutely ridiculous red black deck, and then you played green for some inexplicable reason.

Almost every single black card in your pool is better than your green. There's maybe two green cards in your deck that I'd be happy about playing, and you left the best green common in your sideboard.

At a glance I'd play something like this, https://sealeddeck.tech/S1BvhHmEJb. I'm sure there are finer changes that could be made, like dropping a 2/2 for Dungeon Map to get to your top end sooner, but I didn't put more than 10 minutes into this.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Went 6-0 tonight with this sealed deck.

Warlock Class was a game changer at least twice, Wizard helped me break through once. Double Mindflayer was hard to beat when I saw it, and I saw it a couple times. Dragon Turtle was the mvp somehow. It showed up almost every game and gave me the time I needed to develop against the aggro decks.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
Forsworn Paladin sure ain't no Knight of the Ebon Legion as a black 1-drop, but it was absolutely bonkers in my sealed last night and won me every game where I got it to stick on the board

Even without treasures it makes lategame blocking really difficult when crappy bears are suddenly able to kill dragons, there probably isn't a place for it in constructed but drat it felt good in limited

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Silhouette posted:

Sorry, they already did that
https://scryfall.com/card/h17/2/nerf-war

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

loving Righteous Valkyrie.

I wish Wizards would quit putting enablers + finisher abilities on the same card. Moreso when it's lifegain, meaning it's a game extender + enabler + finisher. Plus every ability on the card stacks from multiple Valkyries. It's in a standard where you don't even have to run marginal creatures to maximize its value.
All of this MIGHT be okay if it were easier to remove, but quad-rear end means it brickwalls a ton of aggressive creatures and dodges most common removal.

It doesn't break the game but it's just an obnoxious design.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grevlek posted:

It was my second prerelease, I went to THB, and then something happened where I couldn't go to them again for over a year.

Lol same here. No way that's not a coincidence. Either one of us, sure, but both?

510rems
Mar 26, 2010

Crackbone posted:

loving Righteous Valkyrie.

I wish Wizards would quit putting enablers + finisher abilities on the same card. Moreso when it's lifegain, meaning it's a game extender + enabler + finisher. Plus every ability on the card stacks from multiple Valkyries. It's in a standard where you don't even have to run marginal creatures to maximize its value.
All of this MIGHT be okay if it were easier to remove, but quad-rear end means it brickwalls a ton of aggressive creatures and dodges most common removal.

It doesn't break the game but it's just an obnoxious design.

this is true but not about righteous valkyrie. you can kill the angel, counter the angel, make them discard the angel. the card that's actually emblatic of the problem you're describing is alrund's epiphany. it does everything you're describing and you can basically only counter it. it's the worst.

they should stop printing extra turn cards. or go back to making them unplayable.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

510rems posted:

this is true but not about righteous valkyrie. you can kill the angel, counter the angel, make them discard the angel. the card that's actually emblatic of the problem you're describing is alrund's epiphany. it does everything you're describing and you can basically only counter it. it's the worst.

they should stop printing extra turn cards. or go back to making them unplayable.

Just because you can counter/kill/discard something doesn't make it okay. By that metric Oko and Omnath were just fine.

(And because people just can't seem to read context, I'm not saying Valkyrie is as good as either of those.)

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 17, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kaldheim does seem to be defining the 2022 queue.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Kaldheim was actually a powerful set. It's just that Eldraine has skewed the grading curve so much it looks weak in comparison to existing outrageous bullshit that was/is standard.

When Doomskar of all cards didn't see play than you know that existing card pool was just stupid nuts.

E. Revenant fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 17, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

E. Revenant posted:

Kaldheim was actually a powerful set. It's just that Eldraine has skewed the grading curve so much it looks weak in comparison to existing outrageous bullshit that was/is standard.

When Doomskar of all cards didn't see play than you know that existing card pool was just stupid nuts.

Doomskar saw play in historic, and the cards that kept it out of standard weren't eldraine cards. Signs actually still point to no Doomskar in future standard, because it is defined by manlands and white's lack of instant speed removal keeps control players in dimir.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

People like to blame Eldraine for everything but none of the cards that make Wrath of God bad (Selfless Saviour, Seasoned Hallowblade, Redaine, Anax, Lurrus etc) are actually from that set.

e: manlands are also a good point, there will probably be an absurd number of them around in 2022 standard.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

The Klowner posted:

Lol same here. No way that's not a coincidence. Either one of us, sure, but both?

This was a lovely derail the first time; please let it lie.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

potatocubed posted:

This was a lovely derail the first time; please let it lie.

I don't know what you're referring to but it just read like a coronavirus joke to me? Like "gee i wonder why no social in-person activities happened the last year and change" :nyoron:

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
The second part about Doomskar was more about hyper-normalization in the standard card pool post Eldraine. Kaldheim in the old balance model would have been the high water mark and not be considered a weak set like some do.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Shrecknet posted:

Now that WotC has gotten into the "directly sell specific cards to consumers" game ('because gently caress the stores that evangelize and promote your product!') I can't imagine destroying the RL to print Secret Lairs of the P9 are too far off. They might do it with silver-bordered reprints and go "these are proxies for kitchen table play" at first but like you said - they're whales, if you shovel more cards into their baleen you can strain out more :homebrew:

Bring back gold borders you cowards

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Irony Be My Shield posted:

People like to blame Eldraine for everything but none of the cards that make Wrath of God bad (Selfless Saviour, Seasoned Hallowblade, Redaine, Anax, Lurrus etc) are actually from that set.

I thought it was the part where you would have to hit the entire playset of edgewall innkeepers before breaking parity on casting Doomskar.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shrecknet posted:

Now that WotC has gotten into the "directly sell specific cards to consumers" game ('because gently caress the stores that evangelize and promote your product!') I can't imagine destroying the RL to print Secret Lairs of the P9 are too far off. They might do it with silver-bordered reprints and go "these are proxies for kitchen table play" at first but like you said - they're whales, if you shovel more cards into their baleen you can strain out more :homebrew:

They will respect the reserve list by printing a new tournament legal power 9 more powerful than the old ones with new names and sell them individually for $10,000 a piece

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rutibex posted:

They will respect the reserve list by printing a new tournament legal power 9 more powerful than the old ones with new names and sell them individually for $10,000 a piece

Finally, the sol ring/mox combos we've been waiting for

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

mandatory lesbian posted:

Finally, the sol ring/mox combos we've been waiting for

Pretend you can see me with a mouth full of chewing tobacco knocking the dirt from my cleats right before I point my bat at some whackjob dressed up like a circus clown in the stands, center field who is holding a sign that reads "Mox lotus 3:16"

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mox Jewel - Artifact 0

{T}: Add one mana of any color in your commander's color identity.

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.
Bloke Lotus - Legendary Artifact Creature - Construct (0)

{T}, sacrifice ~: Add WUBRG

0/1

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
how about sol ring but it costs one g/u hybrid mana and has etb draw a card gain 3 life

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Original Mox were only rare. It stands to reason a Mythic Rare Box Topper should produce two kinds of mana

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.
Black Locus

Land - Locus

~ enters the battlefield tapped.

{T}: Choose a color. Add a mana of the chosen color for each Locus on the battlefield.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

say no to scurvy posted:

Black Locus

Land - Locus

~ enters the battlefield tapped.

{T}: Choose a color. Add a mana of the chosen color for each Locus on the battlefield.

Cloudpost gently caress yeah

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm surprised WotC hasn't just printed a Sol Ring that only taps for (1). Then they can finally ban Sol Ring in EDH.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

I'm surprised WotC hasn't just printed a Sol Ring that only taps for (1). Then they can finally ban Sol Ring in EDH.

They did?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I think the whole point is that it’s something that’s not a land and thus can ramp you instead of eating a land drop..?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

If they printed a sol ring that tapped for 1, and banned sol ring, it still wouldn't see widespread play because there are enough other 0 mana artifacts that tap for 1 that just aren't good enough to make the cut currently (ex chrome mox).

And that's ignoring the fact that the RC has come right and said that sol ring is probably never getting banned.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
This reminds me, so I just got back into Magic with AFR and the whole concept of one and done sets blew my mind vs blocks, but that isn't my question, just a large change to me.

Colorless mana now has a graphic? Is it mechanically changed at all? Does anything legitimately require colorless mana be spent instead of a colored mana?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Drowning Rabbit posted:

This reminds me, so I just got back into Magic with AFR and the whole concept of one and done sets blew my mind vs blocks, but that isn't my question, just a large change to me.

Colorless mana now has a graphic? Is it mechanically changed at all? Does anything legitimately require colorless mana be spent instead of a colored mana?

Yeah "Colorless" is a color now. What you use to think of as colorless is "generic mana"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Colorless as a required mana payment was a gimmick in one set and then dropped which is kind of a shame

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Drowning Rabbit posted:

For most sets this changed very little, since they don’t typically use colorless as a cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Does anything legitimately require colorless mana be spent instead of a colored mana?

9 Eldrazi cards, also some activated abilities.

It broke Modern for a while because the new cheap Eldrazi made an incredible aggro deck with Eye of Ugin.