Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
No one likes discovering that they really needed to change something but the time to do it was like two whole turns ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The writing has been on the wall for not charging shipping in the pledge manager just before you ship for literally years now. You've gotta do it as close to the point of incurring the expense as you can.

It's not a good situation but anyone getting surprised by this now has not been paying attention.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
dragonraid's back, baby

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lightraiders/first-watch

oh dear

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The writing has been on the wall for not charging shipping in the pledge manager just before you ship for literally years now. You've gotta do it as close to the point of incurring the expense as you can.

It's not a good situation but anyone getting surprised by this now has not been paying attention.

Most of the kickstarters I've pledged in the last few years have done this and every time it ends with a gaggle of very vocal people flipping their poo poo around delivery time when shipping is due. A lot of people wanting full refunds right before shipment. I mean, I do feel bad for some people out of the country who are being asked to pay more in shipping than what they pledged, but come on. You are in Australia! This can't be new to you! I guess it's terminal FOMO poisoning, or just not reading the descriptions......

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Looks a lot nicer than most religious games, at least.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
So, the GameVaults: World of Warcraft® Edition finally updated, and added Miniature Only packs. $45 for 5 models, or $150 for all 20. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamevaults/gamevaults-world-of-warcraft-edition/posts/3247221

However, they all come packaged with "premium Display Cases." I know they're billing this whole thing as Premium Collector Display Ultra Quality, but I don't know who sees this failed campaign and thinks "Let's take the one positive suggestion we've got, and ruin it by trying to upsell more unnecessary fluff." I'm sure, if this were a real campaign with people talking about it, you could do some math here to estimate how much they're valuing the mini's vs the display cases, and how much of that $499 price tag is just being gobbled up by that board. I'll give them credit for not throwing in the towel, but with little over a week to go, this is too little, far too late.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The project's not live yet, but Arc Dream's got an Upcoming Project on Kickstarter for a 25th anniversary edition of the original Delta Green sourcebook: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/delta-green-the-conspiracy

Presumably they'll be updating it to use rules for their current Delta Green standalone game and not for Call of Cthulhu, but who knows? Hopefully there are some decent bundle options for the newer Delta Green books at any rate, since some of them are really hard to come by here in Europe.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Drone posted:

The project's not live yet, but Arc Dream's got an Upcoming Project on Kickstarter for a 25th anniversary edition of the original Delta Green sourcebook: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/delta-green-the-conspiracy

Presumably they'll be updating it to use rules for their current Delta Green standalone game and not for Call of Cthulhu, but who knows? Hopefully there are some decent bundle options for the newer Delta Green books at any rate, since some of them are really hard to come by here in Europe.

I think they specified that it's the new Delta Green RPG rules, yeah. The difference, presumably, is that that game has substantially reworked the premise of how Delta Green operates and the situation for modern times, whereas this will be the original 90s premise (and probably, the original 90s timeframe).

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Desfore posted:

So, the GameVaults: World of Warcraft® Edition finally updated, and added Miniature Only packs. $45 for 5 models, or $150 for all 20. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamevaults/gamevaults-world-of-warcraft-edition/posts/3247221

However, they all come packaged with "premium Display Cases." I know they're billing this whole thing as Premium Collector Display Ultra Quality, but I don't know who sees this failed campaign and thinks "Let's take the one positive suggestion we've got, and ruin it by trying to upsell more unnecessary fluff." I'm sure, if this were a real campaign with people talking about it, you could do some math here to estimate how much they're valuing the mini's vs the display cases, and how much of that $499 price tag is just being gobbled up by that board. I'll give them credit for not throwing in the towel, but with little over a week to go, this is too little, far too late.

I still feel like this project is a fever dream. I was so certain it was a joke project until Blizzard advertised for it themselves.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

malkav11 posted:

I think they specified that it's the new Delta Green RPG rules, yeah. The difference, presumably, is that that game has substantially reworked the premise of how Delta Green operates and the situation for modern times, whereas this will be the original 90s premise (and probably, the original 90s timeframe).

So Outlaws are going to finally be getting some love then (makes sense, given the title of the rerelease being The Conspiracy)? I know both playstyles are supported but I've read that most (or all?) of the published operations in the new RPG sort of assume that the players are part of the Program.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Drone posted:

So Outlaws are going to finally be getting some love then (makes sense, given the title of the rerelease being The Conspiracy)? I know both playstyles are supported but I've read that most (or all?) of the published operations in the new RPG sort of assume that the players are part of the Program.

I don't think exactly? IIRC the original premise was being the Program, more or less, it's just that it worked differently than the current part-Majestic version. But like, you weren't totally rogue the way the Cowboys are now. I have never played, so I might be getting this wrong.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Desfore posted:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Most of the kickstarters I've pledged in the last few years have done this and every time it ends with a gaggle of very vocal people flipping their poo poo around delivery time when shipping is due. A lot of people wanting full refunds right before shipment. I mean, I do feel bad for some people out of the country who are being asked to pay more in shipping than what they pledged, but come on. You are in Australia! This can't be new to you! I guess it's terminal FOMO poisoning, or just not reading the descriptions......

Yeah I feel like people ought to realise that might happen. I'm in the UK and I just don't back anything that has a physical component, because they can't tell me how much shipping will be, and I can't afford to leave that open-ended. It's too bad but it's important to be realistic.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I was really worried when the Crash Octopus designers announced that they were shipping all their games individually through the mail from Japan, but it arrived safely and intact today. It is beautiful, I'm already trying to figure out what color scheme I want to paint on the octopus and tentacles.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Ok looking for some feedback.

I was finally kind of getting my head around what it would take to make a physical miniature kickstarter rolling. Then I saw an offer that could expand this into including 3D miniatures. But it will be a lot more costly in the short run.

Basically, making a mold for a physical mini is kind of cheap, with a $60 mold covering 6-8 minis.

For roughly the same price, I could get a mini scanned by an industrial scanner, and turned into a mini. Then I'd need someone to make supports for it, as it seems to be the industry standard these days to offer buyers both unsupported and supported STL files. I've found a company that does this, still waiting for a quote.

So now I'm unsure what is the best idea. I could run a very small kickstarter for just metal minis. The upfront cost for the molds would be roughly 200 bucks, and a reasonable goal for the whole campaign would be around 300 bucks, which I'm pretty confident I could reach.

Or, I could go big, and go for the whole 3D scanning thing. Suddenly the total is way bigger, like 1 500 bucks. Looking at other minis kickstarters, there's quite a few who don't reach that amount. Is it wrong of me to start to get cold feet when costs balloon like this? The pro would be that the miniature market is really divided right now, so if I only do physical sculpts there's a lot of potential customers I'm leaving out. Having 3D minis done would also make a lot of sense in the long run, as there's no additional cost of production, or the hassle of logistics.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

lilljonas posted:

Ok looking for some feedback.

I was finally kind of getting my head around what it would take to make a physical miniature kickstarter rolling. Then I saw an offer that could expand this into including 3D miniatures. But it will be a lot more costly in the short run.

Basically, making a mold for a physical mini is kind of cheap, with a $60 mold covering 6-8 minis.

For roughly the same price, I could get a mini scanned by an industrial scanner, and turned into a mini. Then I'd need someone to make supports for it, as it seems to be the industry standard these days to offer buyers both unsupported and supported STL files. I've found a company that does this, still waiting for a quote.

So now I'm unsure what is the best idea. I could run a very small kickstarter for just metal minis. The upfront cost for the molds would be roughly 200 bucks, and a reasonable goal for the whole campaign would be around 300 bucks, which I'm pretty confident I could reach.

Or, I could go big, and go for the whole 3D scanning thing. Suddenly the total is way bigger, like 1 500 bucks. Looking at other minis kickstarters, there's quite a few who don't reach that amount. Is it wrong of me to start to get cold feet when costs balloon like this? The pro would be that the miniature market is really divided right now, so if I only do physical sculpts there's a lot of potential customers I'm leaving out. Having 3D minis done would also make a lot of sense in the long run, as there's no additional cost of production, or the hassle of logistics.

TBH, that's exactly what stretch goals should be for. The basic campaign ought to be for the molds as they are, but have digital sculpts be a stretch goal that interested parties could work towards. If there's enough interest (and iirc you're the guy doing the duck minis, so I'll go out on a limb and say there's probably a lot more interest than you'd think), there'll be enough funding to get the digital sculpts done. If you don't get all the way to digital, then :shrug:, but at least you have the physical stuff funded.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Aniodia posted:

TBH, that's exactly what stretch goals should be for. The basic campaign ought to be for the molds as they are, but have digital sculpts be a stretch goal that interested parties could work towards. If there's enough interest (and iirc you're the guy doing the duck minis, so I'll go out on a limb and say there's probably a lot more interest than you'd think), there'll be enough funding to get the digital sculpts done. If you don't get all the way to digital, then :shrug:, but at least you have the physical stuff funded.

This is kind of what I was thinking, but was worried that digital guys would be put off if their ducks never materialized due to the stretch goal not being reached. So I was starting to think that doing TWO kickstarters was an alternative, but it also sounded dumb. But yeah, having the goal of say, 300 be the metal ducks, and 1500 being ”off to the scanner” would probably be the safest way. Then it’s not all or nothing.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

lilljonas posted:

This is kind of what I was thinking, but was worried that digital guys would be put off if their ducks never materialized due to the stretch goal not being reached. So I was starting to think that doing TWO kickstarters was an alternative, but it also sounded dumb. But yeah, having the goal of say, 300 be the metal ducks, and 1500 being ”off to the scanner” would probably be the safest way. Then it’s not all or nothing.

What minis are you scanning? Minis that you’ve already sculpted? I have read that consumer grade scanners don’t do great for detailed things like minis and then you have to go in and clean up the model, so it’s probably better to just pay someone to digitally sculpt it at this point. But that can be $100-500 a mini depending on the skill of the sculptor.

I guess what I’m getting at is you may want to test out the tech before you get too stuck in.

Btw I print and sell 3d printed minis. I can also do supports (enough to get a model printed. )

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

What minis are you scanning? Minis that you’ve already sculpted? I have read that consumer grade scanners don’t do great for detailed things like minis and then you have to go in and clean up the model, so it’s probably better to just pay someone to digitally sculpt it at this point. But that can be $100-500 a mini depending on the skill of the sculptor.

I guess what I’m getting at is you may want to test out the tech before you get too stuck in.

Btw I print and sell 3d printed minis. I can also do supports (enough to get a model printed. )

Yeah consumer grade scanners are crap, but this would be an industrial grade laser scanner, so about 0.002 mm fidelity. That's also why it would be a bit expensive (the guy is an engineer and does the scanning/3D minis modelling as a side gig).

I'll send a PM regarding supports. :)

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 18, 2021

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have gotten stuff professionally 3D scanned with really expensive equipment, but I have to admit my first thought on reading a plan to 3D scan minis was :chloe:

Not that it can't be done, it's just one of those situations that the term "the devil is in the details" was made for. If the guy's been-there-done-that then that's perfect.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

The Eyes Have It posted:

I have gotten stuff professionally 3D scanned with really expensive equipment, but I have to admit my first thought on reading a plan to 3D scan minis was :chloe:

Not that it can't be done, it's just one of those situations that the term "the devil is in the details" was made for. If the guy's been-there-done-that then that's perfect.

Yeah, I'm quite convinced to not pull the trigger on the 3D part until I've had him do a test scan and had it test printed, for sure. It's not cheap, but a lot cheaper than hiring a 3D sculptor to re-sculpt a desing I've done physically, which sounds very inefficient. And I have no interest in learning 3D sculpting right now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"I'm going to look into 3D scanning" is exactly what stretch goals are for, but be exceptionally transparent that it's not a guaranteed success.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
That's a good point, actually -- it's totally a thing you can do to say 'at this much cash I will investigate 3D printing options' and explicitly promise nothing.

I mean, you're still going to get people reading it as if you've promised them the moon on a stick, but I have zero patience for KS backers who don't pay attention to what they're getting.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I don't think planning a 3D scanning stretch goal is going to work out. No one who just wants STLs is going to back the kickstarter in the hopes that enough money is raised in the end for it. Not to mention, every single kickstarter that offers this hybrid class of physical and digital will have all-digital tiers available. How can you create all digital tiers for your kickstarter when you don't even know if you'll hit the dollar amount to unlock that option!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

You could add them after you hit that goal, tho you'd likely get a bunch of people swapping over and presumably lowering their pledges. Making it a stretch goal that you'll investigate it and see how viable that is seems like a sensible option to me. You could also look into offering the digital items as an add-on? I dunno how that'd work exactly but might be worth looking into. I suspect the "Gimmie da fuckin' minis" crowd is a much larger and easier market to nab vs the "I want digital mini files" crowd, tho I guess I could be wrong

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

You could add them after you hit that goal, tho you'd likely get a bunch of people swapping over and presumably lowering their pledges. Making it a stretch goal that you'll investigate it and see how viable that is seems like a sensible option to me. You could also look into offering the digital items as an add-on? I dunno how that'd work exactly but might be worth looking into. I suspect the "Gimmie da fuckin' minis" crowd is a much larger and easier market to nab vs the "I want digital mini files" crowd, tho I guess I could be wrong

Speaking purely based on my own behaviour, if the mini kickstarter doesn't have a digital tier I just move on and probably will never look at that kickstarter again. If you can't offer a digital option at the start then just scrap it and use any profits from your physical campaign to fund the 3D scanning for a follow-up campaign. Having a kickstarter for physical minis that morphs into one that also offers digital downloads mid-way is going to be the worst of both worlds.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You'll probably lose anyone who would just be in it for digital, but those people aren't backing a physical miniatures anyway.

As long as you're completely up front that this is a physical kickstarter and digital is a potential (free?) bonus item, there's no room to complain. Not that it'll stop most people, but still.

E: IJ raises a good point that neither the digital or physical people will likely be happy with a hybrid project - why not use extra money to get one scanned, then use that scan as a proof of concept for a second kickstarter once you've completed this one?

A second KS lets you know the exact scanning costs, you'll have more ducks sculpted, and you'll also have more credibility after a successful first KS.

moths fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 18, 2021

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I can really only speak to making TTRPGs and card games, but in those markets at least, offering a digital version of the card game and a physical copy of the game halfway through was one of the more profitable things we did. Ours was pretty frequently requested/demanded in the moment tho and we went in assuming they'd be purely physical or purely digital. Obv the space is v different though. Adding a digital item halfway through does mesh pretty well with a tactic I've had some success with for overcoming that middle-campaign slump, where you hit up a whole new market - launching on a strong Physical tier, then adding a digital one to grab people who only want a digital tier might score you a decent influx with pretty minimal risk to yourself. I don't really see it as the worst of either world, assuming you'd basically doing the same labour either way

moths posted:

A second KS lets you know the exact scanning costs, you'll have more ducks sculpted, and you'll also have more credibility after a successful first KS.

This last point is excellent tho. Do a reprint + Digital run after this KS, maybe with some bonus ducks, and you'll do great

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Thanks for the good advice. Yeah, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to divide them into two kickstarters.

Project #1 will be to get as many physical casts done, plus a stretch goal where I explore 3D scanning etc. If I reach that stretch goal I can offer the test scan for free for everyone who backed for $1 or more: that way I can give a "taster" to those who are not interested in backing for physical minis, without them feeling ripped off. A buck for a duck is a good deal. Someone who printed one duck might be interested in more, and it'll be a very easy way to get a foot in the door with those customers, and reach them with e-mails through kickstarter etc. when the digital project is good to go.

Then project #2 will simply be to get as many minis scanned as possible. The cost would be more or less directly tied to the number of minis, as all the physical molds etc are done, so it would be very simple to calculate the goals. I.e 600 bucks = 10 ducks, 900 bucks = 15 ducks and so on. Then it's less of an all or nothing deal.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 19, 2021

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Sounds like a good plan. Personally, based on the greens you've posted, I'll be interested in picking up a couple in metal and more of them as scanned, assuming that works out, so looking forwards to your launch.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

senrath posted:

Sounds like a good plan. Personally, based on the greens you've posted, I'll be interested in picking up a couple in metal and more of them as scanned, assuming that works out, so looking forwards to your launch.

Thanks! :) I'm getting pretty stoked myself. I'm going back and doing new versions of some of my first sculpts, and adding more ducks. Here's crossbow duck and magic duck:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

In non-duck news, the WOW Buildings creator is back, for a Chernobyl-themed set of terrain.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wowbuildings/wow-buildings-goes-radioactive-in-chernobyl-3d-stl-files/description

There's also a set of modular building elements and some great looking ruins.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

mllaneza posted:

In non-duck news, the WOW Buildings creator is back, for a Chernobyl-themed set of terrain.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wowbuildings/wow-buildings-goes-radioactive-in-chernobyl-3d-stl-files/description

These look really good. Are there game systems that would make use of these?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Those look appropriate for basically any sci-fi miniatures game. Just throw in some random skulls for 40k or some cardboard cargo containers for Infinity. :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

Twilight 2000 just got a new edition, Zona Alpha seems perfect, and you can also scale it down for wargames like Team Yankee / Battlegroup NORTHAG / Cold War Commander / or Force on Force.

So, yes.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Silvervine person - I'm not sure why you want my discord ID to give me the voucher for the POD copy of Floria - it's not a necessary bit of information given that you already have my email, and doesn't take into account people who either don't want Discord, or don't want to join yet another discord server.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

mllaneza posted:

Oh man, this takes me back to the papercraft models of nuclear reactors that a nuclear power company sold in Germany. Up until Fukushima happened.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Angrymog posted:

Silvervine person - I'm not sure why you want my discord ID to give me the voucher for the POD copy of Floria - it's not a necessary bit of information given that you already have my email, and doesn't take into account people who either don't want Discord, or don't want to join yet another discord server.

AFAIK the voucher is being sent out my e-mail regardless and joining the discord is just an optional perk

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

yeah already got mine via drivethru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

InternetJunky posted:

These would be awesome for Fallout Wasteland Warfare / RPG, or even the Aliens RPG.