Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Considering it is so overpowered that is literally destroys the arms of the Silver Bullet Suppressor with every shot, I'm going with "grossly inefficient"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Arcsquad12 posted:

Considering it is so overpowered that is literally destroys the arms of the Silver Bullet Suppressor with every shot, I'm going with "grossly inefficient"

Sure but it's just kind of silly that they can just strap four beam rifles together and get the same effect.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Look, if we're going by canon power rankings then nothing should stand a chance against the Turn A, not even Sazabi.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Argas posted:

Sure but it's just kind of silly that they can just strap four beam rifles together and get the same effect.

I mean, there's probably something to be said for concentrating all that power into one shot instead of diffusing it over four.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Begemot posted:

Look, if we're going by canon power rankings then nothing should stand a chance against the Turn A, not even Sazabi.

Only when used at full power by a Newtype.

A random dude couldn't use all it's powers.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kanos posted:

I mean, there's probably something to be said for concentrating all that power into one shot instead of diffusing it over four.

Yeah, you'd still have an arm and don't need to pop off the e-cap every shot.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Begemot posted:

counterpoint: loran and char would become good friends immediately

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

All the people from the moon are spacenoids who have their souls weighed down by Earth’s gravity.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
That is an interesting signature from Hathaway.

https://twitter.com/gundam_hathaway/status/1415959397587554307

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Argas posted:

Hey if you can strap three Rick Dom reactors together and make a particle cannon that can punch through the earth's crust anything is possible.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hey if you can strap three Rick Dom reactors together and make a particle cannon that can punch through the earth's crust anything is possible.

The end of capitalism.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Begemot posted:

Els Qan-t blocks your path

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Els Qan-t blocks your path

Wasn't that thing just a big, pretty space taxi that its owner dumped in a field once he was done with it? Didn't exactly get the impression it was designed for combat.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Wasn't that thing just a big, pretty space taxi that its owner dumped in a field once he was done with it? Didn't exactly get the impression it was designed for combat.

various side material and games basically state that the els quant is pretty much godlike. It can teleport wherever and can essentially make any weapon it wants instantly thanks to the ELS. See the youtube link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWnQcTS0GTE

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Monaghan posted:

various side material and games basically state that the els quant is pretty much godlike. It can teleport wherever and can essentially make any weapon it wants instantly thanks to the ELS. See the youtube link below.

Based on the game depictions, the ELS QANT's weird capabilities are probably the only thing that could give the Black History Full Power Turn A a real challenge. Both of them are teleporting nightmare engines that shoot beams the size of moons, can regenerate infinitely, and can disassemble/assimilate you at the molecular level if they touch you.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

doylist: probably the same

watsonian: hopelessly nerfed so amuro can stand a chance

Nah.

That's more how Kira gets sold. He's all about the beamspam and having a suit that can solve all his problems. Meanwhile, Amuro's about the bullshit and the back foot. Showing Barbatos as immune to Amuro's beam weapons is right in line with that.

You get a shot of Amuro firing at Barbatos, Barbatos shrugs it off, Amuro gets tense (or panics, if it's early Amuro) and has to improvise, eventually triumphing with alternate weapons and dirty fighting.

Amuro's role in cross-series stuff is triumphing even when at a disadvantage to show it's not the Mobile Suit, but the man inside. Letting him get obvious freebies reduces that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

So purely me just throwing ideas out there, but

Looks like the Barbatos is probably going to be Doomfist with a Reinhardt aesthetic.

Asshimar is the flyer.

The GM has the Beam Spray which is comparable to a beam pistol so maybe it's the McCree analog?

The GM Sniper II is obvious.

The Zaku II's got an assault rifle so maybe it's the S76.

The Methuss... is a support unit in SRW because Fa Yuiry, so maybe it's the medic/healer unit.

Is the Turn A going to be a barrier tank with the moonlight butterfly? I hate barriers for how design in OW rotates around them but I'm having a hard time seeing what (wildly tuned-down versions of) its capabilities might translate to in a hero shooter context. If it's more of a Brigitte though, with nanomachines repairing allies around you while you fight, that would be pretty cool.

The RX-78 might be more of a frontliner marksman type since it's got a semi-auto beam rifle, so maybe comparable to Ashe?

Guntank is obviously a backliner, probably with a splash damage ability.

The Dom might be the fast ground speed type, Lucio with more damage and no support functionality?

Pale Rider's EXAM system might be analogous to Genji's ult so Genji's my guess.

Sazabi probably uses funnels and I don't know if there's a hero shooter analog for smart drone weapons.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The beam spray gun as written vs depicted tends to vary. As written it's basically a short range beam rifle, simplifying and streamlining a beam rifle so that it gets the same power and armor penetration but without the costly components to keep the beam on target and focused at longer range. The novelization of the original series even describes it as more "powerful" at close range since the beam punches through a larger area than the beam rifle.

It's different from the scattering beam cannons of the Dom and some Zeon aquatic suits, which don't really have proper beam weapon characteristics. It's also different from the scattering/diffuse beam weapons on some Zeta and later era machines.

The Sazabi in the video threw its beam tomahawk and also seemed to have a shooting mode that brought the shield up while shooting its rifle.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ah yeah. GM might be a shotgunner then.

Also tossing tomahawks makes me think Huntress from dbd

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gm being a shotgunner is lame as poo poo. Either give me Masks final mech from Reco or the Kampfer as a shotgunner.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The difference between Overwatch and Gundam is that Gundam recognizes Hong Kong.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gaius Marius posted:

Gm being a shotgunner is lame as poo poo. Either give me Masks final mech from Reco or the Kampfer as a shotgunner.

What about the Astaroth Origin? Doesn't that have a cool shotgun?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Mobile Suit Gundam

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

MonsieurChoc posted:

Only when used at full power by a Newtype.

A random dude couldn't use all it's powers.

i could

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Sazabi is clearly firing a shotgun beam in the video, and is frequently depicted in games as having a shotgun, so it'll be the shotgunner.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

The Sazabi is clearly firing a shotgun beam in the video, and is frequently depicted in games as having a shotgun, so it'll be the shotgunner.

Not a pure shotgunner, though, since it has its funnels and/or its waist gun for long range.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm like a fourth of the way through Victory and I'm enjoying it, except for the baby that screams constantly. There isn't going to be enough therapy in all of space for Uso is there?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

This is about a week old but if someone else posted it i missed it: New g-reco movie 3 trailer https://twitter.com/gundam_reco/status/1413863311926468609

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

So I'm like a fourth of the way through Victory and I'm enjoying it, except for the baby that screams constantly. There isn't going to be enough therapy in all of space for Uso is there?

Karlmann sucks real bad and there's an episode somewhere in there where he doesn't shut the gently caress up for about 15 minutes straight so enjoy that, I guess.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RX78's weird weapons actually make sense when you think of it. If you're developing your first suit capable of real melee fighting, you want to give it the edge over the Zaku. You know the Zaku's got a Heat Ax. So you try and keep the Range Advantage, Beam Saber is a decent range longer than the ax, but what if it doesn't work? Well you develop the Beam Javelin and the Gundam hammer. Javelin works to out range the Ax and beam saber, and the hammer allows you to deny the melee area around the suit to the enemy. A good attempt even if the Saber ended up proving by far the best.

The G-Bull and G- Fighter also make sense if you think of the RX78 as serving as a testbed for future tank and fighter gundam hybrid systems

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

From what I've seen, Uso's suffering is absurd even by Gundam pilot standards (and considering what happened to Kamille, that's saying something.) but unlike Kamille, it doesn't really form an aggregate. Instead, he recovers just enough between incidents to remain at a constant level of trauma throughout the series.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

From what I've seen, Uso's suffering is absurd even by Gundam pilot standards (and considering what happened to Kamille, that's saying something.) but unlike Kamille, it doesn't really form an aggregate. Instead, he recovers just enough between incidents to remain at a constant level of trauma throughout the series.

This is interesting to read as a Gundam noob who is watching zeta for the first time. Based off of a sample size of two I was guessing tragic events (and lovely parents?) are just what happen to gundam pilots, so to hear there's someone who has got it worse than Kamille...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They suffer in different ways, although I think Uso is a head up in suffering department.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

This is interesting to read as a Gundam noob who is watching zeta for the first time. Based off of a sample size of two I was guessing tragic events (and lovely parents?) are just what happen to gundam pilots, so to hear there's someone who has got it worse than Kamille...

Tragic events are pretty standard, but I can name three Gundam pilots with decent parents off the top of my head. It's just less common than terrible or non-existent families.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Tragic events are pretty standard, but I can name three Gundam pilots with decent parents off the top of my head. It's just less common than terrible or non-existent families.

This is actually a pretty difficult challenge.

Domon, Kira(assuming you count the adoptive parents who raised him, which I would), all of the Creuset squad except Athrun, Shinn(presumably, before they got murdered), the Lockons(presumably, before they got mudered), Setsuna(presumably, before he murdered them), Seabook(well, it's a work in progress), uhh....

I guess it depends on your qualifications. UC is mostly a blasted hellscape of Gundam pilots with estranged or awful parents.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gets much easier if you include the Build subfranchise, though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Darth Walrus posted:

Gets much easier if you include the Build subfranchise, though.

I feel like you could at least include Hiroto, who's possibly got the best parents in the entire franchise (Sei's are pretty good too, but his dad isn't around much).

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Kanos posted:

This is actually a pretty difficult challenge.

Domon, Kira(assuming you count the adoptive parents who raised him, which I would), all of the Creuset squad except Athrun, Shinn(presumably, before they got murdered), the Lockons(presumably, before they got mudered), Setsuna(presumably, before he murdered them), Seabook(well, it's a work in progress), uhh....

I guess it depends on your qualifications. UC is mostly a blasted hellscape of Gundam pilots with estranged or awful parents.

Dr. Cashew was a moron who never stopped to think if he should instead of if he could and got his wife and son killed as a result, Kira’s adoptive dad disappeared entirely between SEED and Destiny and Caridad Yamato appears to have no personality whatsoever and just follows Kira around, Ted Elsman and Ezaria Joule both backed Patrick Zala’s bullshit on the Supreme Council, and Monica Arno abandoned her son to work on the Gundam but not even in a cool way like Tem Ray or Char’s granddaughter.

So it’s just the Amalfis and a bunch of corpses.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ojjeorago posted:

Dr. Cashew was a moron who never stopped to think if he should instead of if he could and got his wife and son killed as a result, Kira’s adoptive dad disappeared entirely between SEED and Destiny and Caridad Yamato appears to have no personality whatsoever and just follows Kira around, Ted Elsman and Ezaria Joule both backed Patrick Zala’s bullshit on the Supreme Council, and Monica Arno abandoned her son to work on the Gundam but not even in a cool way like Tem Ray or Char’s granddaughter.

So it’s just the Amalfis and a bunch of corpses.

Dr. Kasshu was a peaceful scientist who was working on a project to try to fix the devastated environmental wasteland that Earth had become - you know, that thing that the first few episodes bang on about a whole lot and Master Asia's entire reason for turning heel. It's not really his fault, at all, that jackbooted thugs in the Neo Japanese government saw a potentially malicious use for his research and decided to try to steal it at gunpoint. He sent Kyoji off in the Ultimate Gundam as an emergency effort to save at least one of his children while his wife got gunned down in cold blood, and had no earthly idea that the Ultimate Gundam would get damaged and malfunction in the process of escape.

Kira's parents might be boring, but he seems to have had a good childhood despite his biological dad being Coordinator Dr. Mengele.

Dearka's dad and Yzak's mom backing Patrick doesn't make them bad parents, it makes them quislings. Given that the alternative is presented very clearly by Siegel Clyne being violently murdered for daring to oppose the regime, it's kind of hard to blame them that much. Hell, you could even make an argument that them toeing the line is protecting their kids - it doesn't look good and might have very ominous implications for a military officer for your parents to be accused of treason in a genocidal xenophobia war.

Monica Arno was an absent workaholic in the same vein as Tem Rey, but during Seabook's time of greatest need she went to him, at great risk to her own well being, to help him. Her work on the F91 might have saved his life, and it's through her help that Seabook is ultimately able to find Cecily after the final battle against Carozzo. She made mistakes but she makes a pretty drat good effort to make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bellri's mom was the best parent in gundam