Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

mojo1701a posted:

Turn all the fans on to cool the earth to make up for the global warming accelerated by cryptocurrency.

Load of BS, it is widely known that opening all fridges and freezers is a far superior method to combat climate change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I can't help but see Bitcoin ATMs as basically just cutting out the middleman in a card-skimming scheme. The ones I have seen in the wild only accept cash - they don't dispense it.

i've seen a couple of them in grocery stores and then usually the grocery store has put up signs around it saying it's a scam and not to feed it any money

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Juul-Whip posted:

i've seen a couple of them in grocery stores and then usually the grocery store has put up signs around it saying it's a scam and not to feed it any money

That's amazing and somewhat heartening. You'd think the ATM company would make it part of their agreement with the store that they couldn't do that, but that probably takes more foresight than most coiners have.

Google maps says there's one in the mall near my house. If I can think of a reason to go to the mall for anything, I should see if it's similarly warded.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Hello Sailor posted:

Google maps says there's one in the mall near my house. If I can think of a reason to go to the mall for anything, I should see if it's similarly warded.
There's [edit: a lot more than] 3 near me. I'll have to check for signs.

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 17, 2021

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Juul-Whip posted:

soooooo why have it in the store ?!?!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

soooooo why have it in the store ?!?!

I assume that some of the machines and stuff in stores are paying a rental fee for the location - like the gum machines, rocking horses, claw machines, and the like. Sticking a scammy FakeTM in there might be similar?

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
the "ATM" just accepts money right? exactly not like an ATM?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Vashro posted:

Automated Taker Machine

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Vashro posted:

Yeah or you'd have to wait an hour before it spat the money out

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I assume that some of the machines and stuff in stores are paying a rental fee for the location - like the gum machines, rocking horses, claw machines, and the like. Sticking a scammy FakeTM in there might be similar?

Getting Bitcoin ATMs used to be a fad several years ago, opened with pomp and celebrations. There was even a website up just showing Bitcoin ATM locations worldwide.
OMG come use bitcoin to buy your 4 dollar coffees or beers! Only takes 20 minutes for it to process if it works first time!
But reality happened.
They rented the space from the place, and charge a transaction fee every time it was used to pay for it (and extra bit more for the Captain of Industry running the ATM). But no one would use them usually after the first week or so.
So they ended up being a loss for whoever thought they would make money from it. The website ended up being a map of just dead locations, where they failed.

I remember some stories where the bitcoiner would beg the owner to keep it there and let them use the electricity for free

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 18, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
rear end to Mouth Machine

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Alan Smithee posted:

Beaten

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

:a2m:

mining buttcoins

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/digitalartchick/status/1413267913163816965

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

happyhippy posted:

Getting Bitcoin ATMs used to be a fad several years ago, opened with pomp and celebrations. There was even a website up just showing Bitcoin ATM locations worldwide.
OMG come use bitcoin to buy your 4 dollar coffees or beers! Only takes 20 minutes for it to process if it works first time!
But reality happened.
They rented the space from the place, and charge a transaction fee every time it was used to pay for it (and extra bit more for the Captain of Industry running the ATM). But no one would use them usually after the first week or so.
So they ended up being a loss for whoever thought they would make money from it. The website ended up being a map of just dead locations, where they failed.

I remember some stories where the bitcoiner would beg the owner to keep it there and let them use the electricity for free

Wouldn't be surprised if at least some have miners built in.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Malaysian police destroying 1,069 bitcoin mining rigs with a steamroller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_tcg9kOfkg

Assistant Commissioner of Police Hakemal Hawari told CNBC the crackdown came after miners allegedly stole $2 million worth of electricity siphoned from Sarawak Energy power lines.

Hawari said that electricity theft by bitcoin miners led to three houses burning down in the city.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Ccs posted:

The creator of dogecoin confirming what this thread and forum have been saying for years.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ummjackson/status/1415353985406406658

This is the most accurate description of crypto that could ever exist. Said same people could not be more excited to cut off their nose to spite their face. Retail side it's greedy degenerates. Institutional side it's the same rich people it's ever been.
I'm exceptionally glad to be able to extract enough from crypto daily to support my life via other people dumb enough to believe in crypto vs using it to just make money. Anyone holding for Bitcoin moon or Bitcoin dump is foolish.

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I'm exceptionally glad to be able to extract enough from crypto daily to support my life via other people dumb enough to believe in crypto vs using it to just make money. Anyone holding for Bitcoin moon or Bitcoin dump is foolish.

More power to you, friend. But you’re still a poop-toucher.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

This is the most accurate description of crypto that could ever exist. Said same people could not be more excited to cut off their nose to spite their face. Retail side it's greedy degenerates. Institutional side it's the same rich people it's ever been.

Enjoy the suffering of other people.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

AutismVaccine posted:

Load of BS, it is widely known that opening all fridges and freezers is a far superior method to combat climate change.

Now I gotta wonder if there's some Bitcoiner that actually had this brilliant idea of storing a mining rig in a fridge for this reason.

I mean, all the other dumb ideas (like pouring nitrogen) were used.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

spunkshui posted:

Enjoy the suffering of other people.

srsly just get a loving job, wtf

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I hope you get scammed out of everything and still have to pay taxes on it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

mojo1701a posted:

Now I gotta wonder if there's some Bitcoiner that actually had this brilliant idea of storing a mining rig in a fridge for this reason.

I mean, all the other dumb ideas (like pouring nitrogen) were used.

wouldnt a fridge be terrible because its humid and cool enough for said humidity to condense?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The liquid nitrogen one was good. Just pouring it over a machine on the ground in his living room lol.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Spatial posted:

The liquid nitrogen one was good. Just pouring it over a machine on the ground in his living room lol.

I missed that thats a great way to die.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

wouldnt a fridge be terrible because its humid and cool enough for said humidity to condense?

Fridge motors actually don't cool much at all, so it would overload and burn out the motor almost immediately. Fridges get most of their power from their excellent insulation.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

PhazonLink posted:

The humidity was my initial thought, but:

Nice Van My Man posted:

Fridge motors actually don't cool much at all, so it would overload and burn out the motor almost immediately. Fridges get most of their power from their excellent insulation.

This was also a concern. It's why you also should wait until leftover food has cooled down to about room temperature before you store something in the fridge.

I've had to explain this one to family members: "No, don't put an entire large pot of hot soup in the fridge."

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Yeah it's been done a number of times with PC components to demonstrate: a fridge cannot handle almost any active load, just passive ones - hot soup is silly but a space heater is insane, and that's more or less all a PC is, thermally.

If you wanna go goofy using an appliance with your cooling you either tear apart an air conditioner to make or just buy an aquarium chiller. Same concept - designed to overcome an active thermal load (a hot home or a cold seawater aquarium) you can use it to cool your gear. Winds up making a shitton of heat in the surrounding air, mind.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Weird that folks who don’t understand economics would also not understand thermodynamics :haw:

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Nvm I was silly

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

what you have to do is watercool all of the refrigerators and shoot the hot water produced into the sun, eliminating the waste heat from the earth

in this way bitcoin will actually cool the planet

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

lol, i hope someone who actually lives off of legitimate capital gains and pays taxes on said capital gains calls you out on your bullshit.

e:i've actually changed my portfolio to support more ethical businesses. sometimes i lose money for a awhile but i sleep better at night.

you are a loving parasite.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 19, 2021

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Source4Leko posted:

I missed that thats a great way to die.

it wasnt even pouring it over a machine, it was knocking over a tank of it into a barren room with a shelf with a bunch of computers on it and standing there filming it

absolute moron

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

link? i can only find a bitcoin guy who died and had his body frozen with liquid nitrogen

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I used to mine and had the same attitude more or less. You are no better than any of them and causing the same damage. I wasn’t any better either.

Critically think about what you’re doing. You can do better.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
i wish i had a link, i just remember it as a gif or a video posted a long time ago, like back when the dollar value of butts lined up more closely with their actual value

edit: vvvvvv thank you

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 20, 2021

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

source you are quotes

Juul-Whip posted:

link? i can only find a bitcoin guy who died and had his body frozen with liquid nitrogen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut8mwo7vGBI

vortmax fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 20, 2021

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
reminds me of that kid making weird faces while he hammered on ".999" silver ingots on his poor mother's back patio

the early bitcoin people were a special breed

this was all a lot funnier back then

drk
Jan 16, 2005
The "post your rig" era of small scale home GPU bitcoin mining was just about peak comedy. Alas, it lasted but a short time, but it did give us this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Ok I know about the coiner who gave himself heat stroke and brain damage, but did somebody really kill themselves with LN2?