Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'll admit idk much about utopia but if it doesnt have any targeting or effect protection its gonna be difficult to do...anything

It received a ton of protection in recent sets, from what I’ve gathered the scene is very effect heavy now, I wouldn’t have even considered Utopia otherwise. Like lots of decks don’t even run traps at all? Wild.

I think the big decks in my area at least are Tri Brigade, Link Dragon, and Zoodiac. I’m guessing that’ll all be common. It’s hard to get an idea of how these decks all work without seeing them get played much so any general thoughts on how to survive would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Zoo and Dragon Link just took hits on the banlist. You might run into Sky Strikers now since their better not opt recyclable Pot of Greed got unbanned.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Through The Decade posted:

It received a ton of protection in recent sets, from what I’ve gathered the scene is very effect heavy now, I wouldn’t have even considered Utopia otherwise. Like lots of decks don’t even run traps at all? Wild.

I think the big decks in my area at least are Tri Brigade, Link Dragon, and Zoodiac. I’m guessing that’ll all be common. It’s hard to get an idea of how these decks all work without seeing them get played much so any general thoughts on how to survive would be appreciated.

This has changed recently. Spells only meta was a year or two back.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Zoo and Dragon Link just took hits on the banlist. You might run into Sky Strikers now since their better not opt recyclable Pot of Greed got unbanned.

Also this. Sky Strikers are one of the most annoying decks to ever grace yugioh. Partly because theyre inherently a do everything toolbox, partly because Konami didnt do much to curb the deck for 2 years despite it being both the most dominant deck during that time. Theyve become a wholly new kind of horrible now because where before if you had a big enough boss that was untargetable or unaffected by their effects they had no outs to it past tech cards. Now they have access to one of the premier OTK cards in the meta right now: Accesscode Talker., which can get huge (up to 5300 atk). The deck core is also quite small so theres hybrid potential here.

ill try to go over the current meta threats here:

Dragon Link may be dead in the meta considering they got a key card banned and another key card limited just recently, still has potential depending on what the combo theorists replace them with.
Tribrigade-hybrids are currently very popular, considering tribrigades by themselves add a lot of value in a deck since they generate materials by themselves, which you can use, then recycle them for their tribrigade links.
Zoodiac got their most troublesome card banned (drident, again) but theyre still a problem because of a certain card: Divine Arsenal AA-Zeus, a non-OPT field nuke which they can make practically at-will. Theyre also hybridised with other decks, namely tribrigade and eldlich.
Virtual World is another problem deck, fallen from grace since they banned V.F.D/True King of Calamities (rest in piss) but theyre still a threat whose deck has some hard to ignore effects, example: one of their synchros banishes any card that would get sent from field to the grave. be very wary of a good player with this deck because they can and will pull off some real bullshit.

Other than that the meta has become very hand trap heavy, so cards like Ash Blossom, Effect Veiler, Droll and Lock Bird, Psy-framegear Gamma, Nibiru The primal Being are splashed into practically any deck that can take them.

All in all Id say its the healthiest the meta's been in years.

(join the discord)

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 4, 2021

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

Good intel on the Sky Strikers, I’m not seeing many tourney decks being posted so I’m betting people will be doing exactly that and are keeping them secret until then. I’ll def join the discord.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I wish the obelisk/silfer not-quite-a-structure decks had been better, i want god card meta to be a thing

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

mandatory lesbian posted:

I wish the obelisk/silfer not-quite-a-structure decks had been better, i want god card meta to be a thing

The problem with the god cards is the god cards themselves, so you basically can't make them competitively viable without some retrains of the core monsters. You might not even necessarily need intensive retrains--personally I think Slifer's actually got some potential in a control deck, he just needs some help getting to and staying on the field. But as it is, the gods can't be anything but an end-state, and they're a crap end-state.

Those decks were not intended for competitive viability, though. They're intended to be a casual product that provides people who remember the god cards a way to dip their toe into the current game and see how they like it after all these years. And for that, they're just fine.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
yes they can dip their toes into the modern metagame by setting nimble momonga and getting OTKed by a ten year old at locals with a deck from the last five years

the god decks are embarrassingly bad and exist solely to bait people who watched the anime into wasting their money

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ungulateman posted:

yes they can dip their toes into the modern metagame by setting nimble momonga and getting OTKed by a ten year old at locals with a deck from the last five years

the god decks are embarrassingly bad and exist solely to bait people who watched the anime into wasting their money

I agree, they should've made a modern Dark Magician structure deck with stuff like Magician's Souls, Magician's Rod and Eternal Soul. That's also an iconic thing to build with and recognize, that also happens to keep pace a lot better. Sure, it's not exactly tier 1, but it can pull some wild stuff in the present day; you'd do decent in locals, at least theoretically until people figure out 'oh Dark Magician nonsense is popular now' and it stops being the kind of blindsiding weirdness that people haven't necessarily planned for. But I think even then, the Egyptian God Decks are a bit more entry-level into 'here's what modern Yu-Gi-Oh looks like' for someone who hasn't been paying attention, because you immediately understand their end goal.

Modern Dark Magician doesn't actually look anything like how someone who played and watched the anime back in the mid-00s would think it does; it's a lot better than it was, but it's a lot weirder, and someone coming in after not having played since early GX at best might need some serious help stringing together just what their deck's game plan and end state is. But you give the same person a Slifer deck? They know EXACTLY what they're trying to do. They have the context of knowing exactly what they're building to and exactly what that goal wants, so even if Slifer sucks and they'll immediately lose they at least have perfectly good context to understand what a modern Yu-Gi-Oh deck looks like.

The god cards suck horrible amounts of rear end. But in a weird way, they are one of the best ways to teach an old-school player what modern play looks like, because at least it resembles what they're familiar with. What other classic archetypes can even manage that? Dark Magician's nothing like it used to be, Blue-Eyes has the same problem with Synchro Summonings mixed in. Red-Eyes and Toons are basically jokes, Cyber Dragon's big into Xyz Summoning now. You... might be able to get a digestible Black Luster Soldier or Buster Blader structure deck, but they basically include their original cards in name only.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 5, 2021

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cleretic posted:

I agree, they should've made a modern Dark Magician structure deck with stuff like Magician's Souls, Magician's Rod and Eternal Soul. That's also an iconic thing to build with and recognize, that also happens to keep pace a lot better. Sure, it's not exactly tier 1, but it can pull some wild stuff in the present day; you'd do decent in locals, at least theoretically until people figure out 'oh Dark Magician nonsense is popular now' and it stops being the kind of blindsiding weirdness that people haven't necessarily planned for. But I think even then, the Egyptian God Decks are a bit more entry-level into 'here's what modern Yu-Gi-Oh looks like' for someone who hasn't been paying attention, because you immediately understand their end goal.

Modern Dark Magician doesn't actually look anything like how someone who played and watched the anime back in the mid-00s would think it does; it's a lot better than it was, but it's a lot weirder, and someone coming in after not having played since early GX at best might need some serious help stringing together just what their deck's game plan and end state is. But you give the same person a Slifer deck? They know EXACTLY what they're trying to do. They have the context of knowing exactly what they're building to and exactly what that goal wants, so even if Slifer sucks and they'll immediately lose they at least have perfectly good context to understand what a modern Yu-Gi-Oh deck looks like.

The god cards suck horrible amounts of rear end. But in a weird way, they are one of the best ways to teach an old-school player what modern play looks like, because at least it resembles what they're familiar with. What other classic archetypes can even manage that? Dark Magician's nothing like it used to be, Blue-Eyes has the same problem with Synchro Summonings mixed in. Red-Eyes and Toons are basically jokes, Cyber Dragon's big into Xyz Summoning now. You... might be able to get a digestible Black Luster Soldier or Buster Blader structure deck, but they basically include their original cards in name only.

Buster Blader has synchros and links, BLS has a link and...man I dunno, modern-ish BLS is like a strange ritual deck? In any case, the issue you identified with releasing a modern Dark Magician structure deck would apply to a competent Egyptian God deck, too. For example, one of the best ways I've heard of to summon the Gods is to just use the Numeron cards to fulfill the requirement, and even then that's just Tribute Summon Slifer/Obelisk/Ra, set backrow, pass.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theyre different iterations of the same cards
You have Eyes of Blue BEWD or Dragonstuff BEWD, BLS Super Soldier rituals or BLS Chaos. XYZ heavy cydra or fusion heavy cydra.

Practically only DM has had one 'kind' of deck that theyve been supporting and carried over the spirit of a DM-centric yugi deck from the anime. And do t get me started on how many gaias there are and how not connected most of them are and how the OG Gaia the Dragon Champion has specific support now.

DM-Era support and retrains is a clusterfuck because theres so much of it done at so many different points in time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Ironically, despite being hot garbage on release, modern HEROs are probably locals-playable and pretty much recognizable, once you introduce them to Mask Change.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
And some more modern deck archetypes are pretty simple once you explain the one or two more modern gimmicks attached like Dino-Mists are incredibly simple once you understand how Pendulums work

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

girl dick energy posted:

Ironically, despite being hot garbage on release, modern HEROs are probably locals-playable and pretty much recognizable, once you introduce them to Mask Change.

Yeah, thinking about it, the earliest archetypes that fit the trifecta I'm thinking of with 'locals-viable', 'familiar to nostalgic lapsed players' and 'not too new or complicated mechanically' are probably HEROs and to a less viable extent Ancient Gears. Which is a shame for people who only watched the original series, but still reaches pretty early. Beyond that... well, a structure deck would have new cards, maybe throw in a Pumpking retrain and make a modern Zombie structure deck; they haven't been meta for a while, but they don't have a long sprint to get there like, say, Red-Eyes probably would. Dinosaur could sit there too, but they already got a modern structure deck.

If you throw out visual familiarity, I think Shaddolls stand out as very friendly to people who only remember early anime. They mostly just play with flip effects, floating effects and fusions, they would fit in just fine mechanically with early YGO. The problem there is they don't look like it, so they don't immediately stand out as recognizable to someone who wants to get back into the series.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I tried to play with a modern Destiny Board / Curse Necrofear deck just for shits and giggles on Link Evolution and the person who made the deck had one set of Destiny Board, 3 Curse Necrofear and a fuckload of Danger! and Orcust cards to the point they should've just made an Orcust / Danger! deck and stopped trying to be another deck entirely.

It played badly in testing too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6CweH4fVj0&t=1s

How are modern Dark Magician decks now a days? Wouldn't mind giving a good one a shot. I've played mostly BEWD / Blue Eyes Chaos Max Dragon and steamrolled everything unless I brick.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

ungulateman posted:

Their plan has worked perfectly on me, but at least nowadays I can walk into a card store with a list and build a simple deck without wasting my time on a single booster. Or rather I could before covid.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, thinking about it, the earliest archetypes that fit the trifecta I'm thinking of with 'locals-viable', 'familiar to nostalgic lapsed players' and 'not too new or complicated mechanically' are probably HEROs and to a less viable extent Ancient Gears. Which is a shame for people who only watched the original series, but still reaches pretty early. Beyond that... well, a structure deck would have new cards, maybe throw in a Pumpking retrain and make a modern Zombie structure deck; they haven't been meta for a while, but they don't have a long sprint to get there like, say, Red-Eyes probably would. Dinosaur could sit there too, but they already got a modern structure deck.

If you throw out visual familiarity, I think Shaddolls stand out as very friendly to people who only remember early anime. They mostly just play with flip effects, floating effects and fusions, they would fit in just fine mechanically with early YGO. The problem there is they don't look like it, so they don't immediately stand out as recognizable to someone who wants to get back into the series.

I dont like shaddolls...but youre right.
Theyre a low floor high ceiling deck that has enough cards to teach you modern deckbuilding even when played pure, the current pupose of the GY as a second deck of sorts, and has enough strong and quick effects to teach modern game flow. They also have access to synchros through falco so it can also teach that too.

And all that floating means most games youre doing something and not just sitting on a brick.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://twitter.com/ygorganization/status/1416014823649947648

So this is a weird thing Konami just announced. A livestream in all regions.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

I wonder if they’re going to pivot to a similar system as Magic with an official online version that uses all the cards and all the proper rules, and you can pull codes for online cards out of physical structure decks etc.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That’d be neat. It’s amazing how much Magic Online bit off of not just Hearthstone, but the Pokémon TCGO, and that’s one of its big draws. Every product comes with a digital code to get that same kind of pack/deck/whatever.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It's probably going to be the reveal of the previously announced Master Duel.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Vandar posted:

It's probably going to be the reveal of the previously announced Master Duel.

Yeah, it's almost certainly this. And in case people forgot, Master Duel was initially announced to be like Duel Links, so an online simulator. See below.

E:

BeyondtheDuel talking about Master Duel when it was announced posted:

A brand new digital title “Master Duel (Temporary title)” is currently in production!

During the stream, the new title was described as being similar to Duel Links as a digital title, except that while Duel Links uses Speed Duel rules, this title will be using the Master Rules!

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm not "earning" any more decks. Edopro exists, Konami can eat a dick.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I'm intrigued, but it'll depend heavily on what, if any, non-PvP options there are. I actually quite like building a collection from scratch in Legacy of the Duelist and the Tag Force series.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

serefin99 posted:

I'm intrigued, but it'll depend heavily on what, if any, non-PvP options there are. I actually quite like building a collection from scratch in Legacy of the Duelist and the Tag Force series.

Yeah, building a collection in those games is a ton of fun. I expect an official simulator ala Duel Links will be a fair bit less so, unfortunately.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

serefin99 posted:

Yeah, this is the big one for me. I think a huge problem of trying to play the game on modern fanmade simulators is the fact you can just... use every card, right away. For me it actually causes problems on both the 'beginner casual' and 'attempting competitive' ends of gameplay.

If you're just coming in and are told 'you can use every card' out of nowhere... well, where do you start? You probably don't know what's good, and if you try to learn the hard way you're just gonna get your face smashed in the moment you play online and get immediately introduced to what 'Invoked Shaddoll Dogmatika' means, but probably not in a way you can understand. A single-player campaign at least gives you a safe space to learn how things work and what might be good to try, both on the player and opponent end.

And if you actually do know what's up and are trying to play remotely competitively? Personally, I try to make the sorts of decks I can actually build in real life, so I netdeck something I can theoretically put together without spending a stupid amount of money on Sky Strikers singles or something (I don't actually know off the top of my head what cards are the offensively expensive ones right now). In real life that'll generally do you fine, because there's also going to be other people who are playing on a budget. But in simulators without some kind of card collectibility? Suddenly that limiter of price and scarcity is completely gone, and your 'this will probably run me less than fifty bucks' deck will be regularly up against decks that'd cost four digits if they were real.

There's place for no-limits simulators, but I don't want to play one. But you give me something that has a virtual collection going on? I'd love a game that uses that competitively, but even if I can only do it in some 'vs CPU' environment, I'd pick it over a no-limits simulator.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Duel Links was kind of supposed to be that at first, then turned into an object lesson in why Konami cannot be trusted to manage power creep.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

girl dick energy posted:

Duel Links was kind of supposed to be that at first, then turned into an object lesson in why Konami cannot be trusted to manage power creep.

It was more a lesson in that most of the early cards in the game were just kind of bad and unfun to play.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
If Master Duel is just the regular card game, which I expect it to be, then the power creep will be the same as the normal game.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Duel Links is still great. The top-tier meta decks are things like Resonators and Onomat and Harpies that were never viable outside of rogue in tcg or ocg. It might not be what everyone wants, but it consistently gives second chances to decks and strategies that couldn't compete before, and I think that's valuable.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Its bizarre. Harpie 2020 support added in one box, but the next box showcases an archetype from 2012. They thought releasing Invoked in DL when the meta was like dark magician vampire whatever decks. Konami can't be trusted to manage their own game.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

The latest box, Darkness Gimmick, caused Onomat to rise to tier 1 status due to giving it Inzektor Exa-Beetle, which in turn lets it summon Digital Bug Rhinosebus, one of the most powerful monsters in the format.

I can't talk about duel links without it sounding extremely fake

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm playing dark machines with desperado and wisel. Also thundra. Also heroes. Also d/d. Also gravekeepers. Also lightsworns. Also beasts. Also inzektors. Also etc..

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Charles Bukowski posted:

Its bizarre. Harpie 2020 support added in one box, but the next box showcases an archetype from 2012. They thought releasing Invoked in DL when the meta was like dark magician vampire whatever decks. Konami can't be trusted to manage their own game.

the difference is that harpies are bad and that 'archetypes from 2012' is a very big bucket. machina fortress was printed in 2010 for goodness' sake

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Sure but 2020 support is smart enough that it made Harpies tier 1 for a period. Even if theyre poo poo, I don't think theyre appropriate for a game that only got into the xyz era in September? Then again that deck wouldnt do much I guess if we waited until the post vrains era to get the harpie cards. Ugggh this is hard to balance with 20 years of decks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm not sure what the argument you're trying to make is? That they shouldn't release modern Harpies support in Duel Links that might actually make them viable because...?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

girl dick energy posted:

I'm not sure what the argument you're trying to make is? That they shouldn't release modern Harpies support in Duel Links that might actually make them viable because...?

I think the logic is:

The modern Harpie support is at a different level from their previous stuff. However, because of the overall much higher power level of the game as a whole, that support really only helps to make Harpies 'playable', and not necessarily 'meta'.

However, the Duel Links meta is of a much lower power level than the larger game. Therefor, where the modern support simply helps Harpies 'catch up' in the regular game, it instead makes them incredibly strong in Duel Links.

Of course I don't actually play Duel Links so I have no clue how the meta is there, that's just how I interpret the posts.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Duel Links is also in a very strange place where the current top decks are arguably much weaker than things from a while ago in addition to weaker cards on average. Having played against Invoked and Darklords which are still smeared across the banlist, I can tell you Onomats would curl up and die against both at full or even slightly less than full power, same with Harpies.

Really, almost all the decks you'll see right now is stuff from the anime. They've been going for that angle for months, and releasing good decks that didn't appear there might contradict that.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 20, 2021

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.
R.I.P. DB
Not gonna miss being called slurs at all
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1417457280036053005?s=20
(volume warning on this one)
https://twitter.com/RANK10YGO/status/1417466760006078469?s=20

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Honestly, this looks wonderful. I'm hoping it has some solid single-player stuff, but honestly, having tutorials at all goes a long way.

I'm hoping there's a good effort at crossplay, though, because that's a lot of platforms. Although I have no idea how easy/hard crossplay is to make happen for a card game rather than, say, a fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ok yah, this is a good replacement for Legacy of the Duelist. I'm hype.