Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yay, I beat the level with Gohan getting the Dragon Balls. That level is one hell of a difficulty spike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oh god I have to be coming up on that part in Ghost of Tsushima and now I'm anxious about all my resistance friends.

except the archery master, dude's got multiple skeletons in his closet I can tell

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/PixelHunted/status/1414678132209160201?s=20

Nier Replicant has absolutely top-tier maniacal laughter.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

I just bought a new horse an hour before so for me the effect was.. less impactful. The entire game is just full of little snippets of great acting, it's one of the best of all time.

My horse was Buell, a horse you get when you form a friendship with a guy who ultimately dies during a hunt. So that moment was...impactful for me

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Biplane posted:

A good little thing in red dead redemption 2 is the emotional response this event in the game caused: at the end (?????) when Arthur's horse is shot and he takes a moment, with bullets flying, to say goodbye and thank him for everything, like god drat :smith:

The white arabian you can find wild in the mountains, which I spent literal real life hours trying to tame the first time through, because I decided I needed to go find the fanciest, best horse before I really understood how taming worked.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

https://twitter.com/PixelHunted/status/1414678132209160201?s=20

Nier Replicant has absolutely top-tier maniacal laughter.

this scene was better in gestalt but lowenthal does a great job with all of Gideon’s new/generic lines, even when he’s not giggling like a maniac you can hear how unbalanced he is

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ys IX: Monstrum Nox

The PC Port was worked on by Durante from the first day.

There are 30 odd shops across the game's hub-city. You just have to visit them once and afterwards you can ask the maid at your home-base to go on shopping-errands there.

If you lose a chase sequence the game will give the option to either try again or say gently caress it and just pretend you succeeded.

The Raid battles from VIII return, only a 100 times less tedious. They unfold at a much faster pace and you'll likely get the S-Rank first time for all of them. You also fight with your full squad of six allies instead of just three.

The story lampshades how often your hero has come across a legendary sword towards the end of every adventure, only to lose it come the next chronological installment. When you get your legendary weapon forged this time the hero reflects he's probably going to lose this one too.

In the previous game it took 20 hours before you got the double-jump. Here you get it in the first ten minutes and will soon learn to run up walls and glide by the first third.

The game does a far better rewarding version of the twist from MGSV.

One of the merchants is a talking Axolotl with a French accent.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The best thing about Ys IX is that you can finally change the elements of your party members, so you aren't stuck using a guy with lovely attack patterns just because you needed someone with piercing damage.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Also, as someone who hates how rigid the Legend of Zelda is, I like how you don't need to keep Adol the hero in the party if you're not into him. It's amazing how the CD-I zelda games have better gender equality that the canon series.

Coming of Octopath, every party member has a gift like Batman Vision or wall-running but they're all shared so you're never forced to use a character.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Hel posted:

The best thing about Ys IX is that you can finally change the elements of your party members, so you aren't stuck using a guy with lovely attack patterns just because you needed someone with piercing damage.

I kinda wish the game just stuck with three characters at this point, don't make me switch party members, buy equipment for all of them, make sure their skills are up to date, etc, when just having three is perfectly fine.

Whether or not doing this for all six is actually necessary is a good question, but like in Ys8 if I was fighting a boss weak to stabs, if I had two people with stabs in my roster then I'd want them both there, so I'd want to make sure they werent going to get crushed immediately. If you can do that with party members at will, lemme just have three people ever.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Morpheus posted:

I kinda wish the game just stuck with three characters at this point, don't make me switch party members, buy equipment for all of them, make sure their skills are up to date, etc, when just having three is perfectly fine.

Whether or not doing this for all six is actually necessary is a good question, but like in Ys8 if I was fighting a boss weak to stabs, if I had two people with stabs in my roster then I'd want them both there, so I'd want to make sure they werent going to get crushed immediately. If you can do that with party members at will, lemme just have three people ever.

There's always a couple of characters who feel like dogshit to use. I'd rather they fixed that, but failing that it's nice to have the second choice option of leaving them on the bench.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Extremely good that Dark Messiah teaches you about your mighty kick, warns you that antagonizing the guards is an instant game over, and then immediately presents you with a guard sat temptingly on a window sill.

And yes, I am for sure posting in the right thread.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrDV6VksSRU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dark Fantasy Metroidvanias are sort of a dime a dozen these days but I really liked Ender Lilies because in addition to just being good it felt super focused. The progression systems were all straightforward but still engaging, the map was super easy to read while providing all the information you could want, the save points were also teleporters, you didn't drop all your baphomdads when you die and have to go pick them back up.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I finished Mankind divided,holy poo poo it was so loving good.

The levels were brilliant
The missions were great
The hub world was great
The new augs were cool
I did a non lethal run and it actually felt organic and not a total nightmare
Even though it was a non lethal run i still got to shoot a few drones and robots + shoot a few doors down so my lethal weapons weren’t a total waste
I liked that the final boss was tough and relentless but can be taken down like other armoured enemies,it felt fair.
The only thing i didn’t like was the unskippable credits,minor bugbear.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SkeletonHero posted:

Extremely good that Dark Messiah teaches you about your mighty kick, warns you that antagonizing the guards is an instant game over, and then immediately presents you with a guard sat temptingly on a window sill.

And yes, I am for sure posting in the right thread.

There's a quest in AC Odyssey where you have to save a woman from being executed. Resolving the quest leaves you and the religious zealot who's been antagonizing her the entire time alone on top of a really high cliff, perfectly within Spartan Kick range.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the new Ratchet & Clank game you switch between Ratchet and Rivet (an alternate universe character who is very similar to Ratchet) as the story dictates but the game wisely just shares weapon unlocks/levels between the two.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

In the new Ratchet & Clank game you switch between Ratchet and Rivet (an alternate universe character who is very similar to Ratchet) as the story dictates but the game wisely just shares weapon unlocks/levels between the two.

I believe they handwave it with "Huh, I don't remember having this many credits in my account" when you first shop with Rivet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Leal posted:

I believe they handwave it with "Huh, I don't remember having this many credits in my account" when you first shop with Rivet.

that's justified by the shopkeeper merging their accounts, but the game also just shares movement upgrades and accessories between the two of them without even mentioning it. not that it's unappreciated, of course

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Couldn't tell you why I thought about this but the intro to Batman Arkham Knight was pretty neat. Being able to choose how bad a tragedy Scarecrow causes by deciding to just start blasting people once you start hallucinating or wasting your bullets before the cutscene started was cool.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

that's justified by the shopkeeper merging their accounts, but the game also just shares movement upgrades and accessories between the two of them without even mentioning it. not that it's unappreciated, of course

I figured the "shared movement upgrades" was more that Ratchet or Rivet already had X upgrade, just that you couldn't use it until the game showed you how after you got it with the other character (I mean, if you start a NG+, it relocks basic moves until you reach the relevant part of the parade)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Condemned 2 manages one of the best villain farewells I've seen in a game, and doubly appropriate given that it's a villain themed after a stage magician. "A warning to the old, the young, and the weak at heart! It only gets more fantastical, more, dare I say, hosed up from here!"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Condemned 2 manages one of the best villain farewells I've seen in a game, and doubly appropriate given that it's a villain themed after a stage magician. "A warning to the old, the young, and the weak at heart! It only gets more fantastical, more, dare I say, hosed up from here!"

:ironicat:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

He ain't wrong. :v:

This is just two levels before you gain the ability to explode peoples' heads by screaming at them.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I finished Mankind divided,holy poo poo it was so loving good.

The levels were brilliant
The missions were great
The hub world was great
The new augs were cool
I did a non lethal run and it actually felt organic and not a total nightmare
Even though it was a non lethal run i still got to shoot a few drones and robots + shoot a few doors down so my lethal weapons weren’t a total waste
I liked that the final boss was tough and relentless but can be taken down like other armoured enemies,it felt fair.
The only thing i didn’t like was the unskippable credits,minor bugbear.

Mankind Divided was great, I can't wait for Eidos to get back to Deus Ex and finish their little prequel trilogy. I thought there was an option fast forward the credits, but either way, it was worth it for the post-credits scene, which was a bit more substantial than the one in Human Revolution. I liked the setup for the next game and the TF29 physciatrist working with DeBeers and the Illuminati, interested to see where they take it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I’d like one final game with jensen to finish his stories,then maybe some time (in the actual real deus ex future) we’ll get a modern version of DE1.

Doing a second run now where i can actually kill dudes,hacked a turret (powered off) dragged it down into the sewers,plopped it down in the drug lab,went back turned friendly fire onand had a lovely show of it murdering all the baddies :)

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

Couldn't tell you why I thought about this but the intro to Batman Arkham Knight was pretty neat. Being able to choose how bad a tragedy Scarecrow causes by deciding to just start blasting people once you start hallucinating or wasting your bullets before the cutscene started was cool.
This also changes the cop's dialogue when you meet him later on.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I've recently gotten back into playing Golf Story, and I absolutely love the way it uses the joy cons rumble feature to make the sound of your ball going off a cliff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1tV6tQwKpQ

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And the water hazard has the rumble do basically a sad trombone.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ah, but have you considered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZiuQR1Hepc

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
AC Origins has many good qualities, but my favorite is that Cleopatra and Pompey are just modelled on Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, respectively.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm playing Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children, and even with the rough translation, it's been a lot of fun. I just recruited an edgy guy that's is completely shirtless minus an open fur coat, and during his introduction one of the main characters makes a side comment about how she's weirded out by that. Immediately afterward, I got a notification that she now has a trait where she gets relationship penalties with people that have revealing outfits. :allears:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

PunkBoy posted:

I'm playing Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children, and even with the rough translation, it's been a lot of fun. I just recruited an edgy guy that's is completely shirtless minus an open fur coat, and during his introduction one of the main characters makes a side comment about how she's weirded out by that. Immediately afterward, I got a notification that she now has a trait where she gets relationship penalties with people that have revealing outfits. :allears:

if troubleshooter had a slightly more competent translation it would def be one of my favorite SRPGs. the customization is awesome, the story is pretty cool and theres a lot of little things like what you mentioned in the game

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

muscles like this! posted:

That reminds me, my favorite thing about the new Ratchet and Clank game is that armor bonuses are tied to armor collection, and not to wearing the armor itself.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

That’s good but not good enough to pop into my head once a week despite not playing the game in over 20 years like the original. Maybe I should revisit the series.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

In odd little free horror game If On A Winter's Night Four Travelers (which is free here , as the lines of what the librarian monster has written get erased, they also visibly vanish on the graphic.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Thinky Whale posted:

In odd little free horror game If On A Winter's Night Four Travelers (which is free here , as the lines of what the librarian monster has written get erased, they also visibly vanish on the graphic.

Here is a complete play through of this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxaoTN8sSAs It is by youtube channel called " Alpha Beta Gamer" Plays a ton of Alpha and Beta stage games, as well as full released. Not mainstream games, but indie, and small studio. Just alot of weird rear end games. If I didn't know any better, I'd say ABG and BioEnchanted were related.

! Or the same person!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ABG owns cuz they NEVER talk

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

verbal enema posted:

ABG owns cuz they NEVER talk

Yeah I am always happy when I am curious about a game and find them because I don't have to listen to someone take twenty minutes to hit start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Wow Ted Faro loving SUCKS