Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

BigPaddy posted:

RT 28 in Cambridge near Cambridgeside. Used to work near there and every day just sat in traffic watching it creak as I slowly drove by.

Reminds me of the Saugus River Rail Bridge. We did some survey work under it looking for cables and mapping the river floor in prep for the shoring project. They had added temporary piers with I-beams under the rails, and it still wiggled like a cat gearing up for a pounce when the T went over at like 5mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Can you spot the RBG air freshener?

This is the damage to the other vehicle.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That’s all the damage that you can see.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

That’s all the damage that you can see.

The post had a photo of what’s behind it, too.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The bumper cover is still on though. I’ve seen a bunch of vehicles over the years where people told me “heh, no damage to my car, you should have seen theirs!” and then you take off the bumper cover and the reinforcement bar is crushed, the frame horns are hosed, etc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hmm maybe.

That’s OP’s friend’s Xterra, in OP’s driveway, so they know who to call if they find more damage later.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

The bumper cover is still on though. I’ve seen a bunch of vehicles over the years where people told me “heh, no damage to my car, you should have seen theirs!” and then you take off the bumper cover and the reinforcement bar is crushed, the frame horns are hosed, etc.

I have an '04 CR-V that was rear-ended & is a total loss.

This is the photo that makes it look the worst:

What you can't see is the buckled floorpan and grenaded rear suspension/exhaust. I can still drive it, but it making some very crunchy sounds

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

PainterofCrap posted:

I have an '04 CR-V that was rear-ended & is a total loss.

This is the photo that makes it look the worst:

What you can't see is the buckled floorpan and grenaded rear suspension/exhaust. I can still drive it, but it making some very crunchy sounds

Sell it to SC, they'll run it down there. Because inspections are the devil or something.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My father in law was rear ended in his ~02 honda accord (someone on a cell) and they totalled it for $1200 or so worth of damage. Literally the plastic bumper cover, dent in trunk and some paint.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Confession time, I rear ended someone in the Golf R in Feb. Completely my fault, it was a merge situation. We were all stopped, the guy in front of me started moving and was going for a gap, I was watching oncoming gaps and hit the gas a fraction of a second before I glanced forward. Hit the back end of a Jeep Patriot.

I scuffed the paint on the patriot. My car was still drivable if a coolant hose wouldn't have been nicked.

$16,000 of damage to my car. Nothing structural was hurt. Subframe not tweaked at all. Everything was bolt on.

Right headlight, bumper cover, bumper rail, both fenders (body shop didn't like how the driver's side one lined up afterwards even though the mount points were bang on spec), intercooler, ac condenser, radiator, radiator support.

Took forever to get the car back because the body shop was slammed with work, but it's good as new (probably better than new). The total cost is what got me for such a low speed collision. Good thing the R is still worth nearly $40k or they would have totaled it.

First at fault accident in 26 years of driving, felt so drat stupid but at least no one was hurt and I really didn't mess anyone else's poo poo up too bad. Guy was actually apologizing to me because he hesitated, I'm just glad it was someone who was chill and not an rear end in a top hat.

I'm still stuck not really driving it much right now as I'm waiting for my appointment to get the front wrapped in PPF again, they can't get to me until the end of July and I don't want to introduce any rock chips

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

bull3964 posted:

Confession time, I rear ended someone in the Golf R in Feb. Completely my fault, it was a merge situation. We were all stopped, the guy in front of me started moving and was going for a gap, I was watching oncoming gaps and hit the gas a fraction of a second before I glanced forward. Hit the back end of a Jeep Patriot.

I scuffed the paint on the patriot. My car was still drivable if a coolant hose wouldn't have been nicked.

$16,000 of damage to my car. Nothing structural was hurt. Subframe not tweaked at all. Everything was bolt on.

Right headlight, bumper cover, bumper rail, both fenders (body shop didn't like how the driver's side one lined up afterwards even though the mount points were bang on spec), intercooler, ac condenser, radiator, radiator support.

Took forever to get the car back because the body shop was slammed with work, but it's good as new (probably better than new). The total cost is what got me for such a low speed collision. Good thing the R is still worth nearly $40k or they would have totaled it.

First at fault accident in 26 years of driving, felt so drat stupid but at least no one was hurt and I really didn't mess anyone else's poo poo up too bad. Guy was actually apologizing to be because he hesitated, I'm just glad it was someone who was chill and not an rear end in a top hat.

I'm still stuck not really driving it much right now as I'm waiting for my appointment to get the front wrapped in PPF again, they can't get to me until the end of July and I don't want to introduce any rock chips

I miss my GTI :(

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

With crash structures the way they are, resurrecting a shitheap is going to become a lost art. Everything under $15,000 in value gets totaled. When's the last time you saw a car newer than '03 with mismatched body panels? People certainly haven't stopped getting into fender benders.

The bumper here was too low to tweak anything that couldn't be unbolted and swapped out, and fortunately this happened slow enough that I didn't underride the minivan I hit. Also fortunate that nobody made a whiplash claim or anything - and the driver I hit (who did a seriously dumbass move swerving into my lane at 15mph 5 carlengths ahead of me while I was doing 55mph, then stopped on a dime for a just-turned-yellow light) didn't have a license so my ticket was dismissed.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Don't disagree; I've rebuilt front clips on four cars in the last seven years. It comes down to whether or not the subframe, inner fender sheets, radiator support or other welded-on bits are either undamaged, or can be yanked back into true using the 'ol chain come-along / convenient tree

'94 e320:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 15, 2021

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Does anyone remember the days when a minor fenderbender was just that, hammer the dent out of your fender and keep driving? I mean, I get that crumple zones and ablative hardware saves lives in major accidents, this is a good thing. But man, one little ding and you/your insurance is in the hole for a couple thousand bucks of replacement parts and structural repair...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

rndmnmbr posted:

Does anyone remember the days when a minor fenderbender was just that, hammer the dent out of your fender and keep driving? I mean, I get that crumple zones and ablative hardware saves lives in major accidents, this is a good thing. But man, one little ding and you/your insurance is in the hole for a couple thousand bucks of replacement parts and structural repair...

Nah it's fine this is a completely sustainable system.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

rndmnmbr posted:

I was driving my just-purchased first rabbit and got rear-ended hard enough to punt me through the NJTP booth. Guy was driving a J body. hosed the front of his car badly, didn't even collapse the bumper shocks on the rabbit. I was driving on tags from my other car, so I said "see ya", and bailed .

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

rndmnmbr posted:

My first car was an ‘85 Caprice.

gently caress your bumper cover, mine is chrome plated steel.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrYenko posted:

My first car was an ‘85 Caprice.

gently caress your bumper cover, mine is chrome plated steel.

Did you even own a 70s or 80s car in the decades after if you didn't physically rip through/off a newer car's bumper or fender?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Godholio posted:

Did you even own a 70s or 80s car in the decades after if you didn't physically rip through/off a newer car's bumper or fender?

This was the most effective vehicle for circles/rotaries/roundabouts. Traffic would see this thing coming and part like the Red Sea.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

We had a '77 Buick Electra growing up. One day a guy in a new Silverado turned suddenly from an outside lane and hooked the front bumper with his rear and ripped our bumper off. IIRC, his bill was a couple thousand. I don't remember ours, only that we pocketed his insurance's payout, bolted the bumper back on, and drove that car into the ground.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

my bumpers are solid as gently caress but i think these days most other vehicles' bumpers would go clear over them.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
cars were certainly quite a bit more resistant to crumple in the old days, too bad all that force that wasn't dissipated hurt the meat bags inside far more often. it's not exactly a desirable outcome.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

`Nemesis posted:

cars were certainly quite a bit more resistant to crumple in the old days, too bad all that force that wasn't dissipated hurt the meat bags inside far more often. it's not exactly a desirable outcome.

At speed I don't think anyone disagrees. But two vehicles backing out of parking spots into each other can result in tens of thousands in damage. Hell, a loving door ding can hit four digits easily.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Godholio posted:

At speed I don't think anyone disagrees. But two vehicles backing out of parking spots into each other can result in tens of thousands in damage. Hell, a loving door ding can hit four digits easily.

You're going to get the 5mph bumpers put back into place if you keep it up!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

StormDrain posted:

Gimme my BMW diving boards!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It is me I am the mechanical failure. Was removing the driver side wheels from the new 63 GP what had the factory drums still on it. Thought they were super tight but no they are reverse threaded so spent 30 minutes soaking them down and trying to loosen them the wrong way. Remembered the reverse thread thing once I did the passenger side and they came off no issue.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
We have some contained detonation transfer cord that my company makes and there are instances where the male port is left hand threaded. Despite it being engraved in the protective cap, there are still a few times a year where someone murders the cap trying to get it off. Needless to say we cannot sell it anymore.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Curious as to the reason why?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I can only guess but the company makes explosives for satellites, rockets, missiles as well as other military hardware, so it's either a solution for vibration modes during flight or so that it cannot be installed in the incorrect place. The ports also come in all sorts of different thread sizes presumably for the same reasons despite the transfer cord being the same size.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

BigPaddy posted:

It is me I am the mechanical failure. Was removing the driver side wheels from the new 63 GP what had the factory drums still on it. Thought they were super tight but no they are reverse threaded so spent 30 minutes soaking them down and trying to loosen them the wrong way. Remembered the reverse thread thing once I did the passenger side and they came off no issue.

I did similar on my 56 IH then noticed the left hand studs have a little "L" embossed on the end, handy if I had noticed it right away.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BigPaddy posted:

On my '65 Fury, the ends of driver's side lugs were stamped with an "L"

shy boy from chess club posted:

I did similar on my 56 IH then noticed the left hand studs have a little "L" embossed on the end, handy if I had noticed it right away.

Apparently they had anal-retentive engineers at Harvester as well.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

StormDrain posted:

I "built" a nearly $40,000 Ranger online this week and that fucker still had black plastic bumpers like it's 1989.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

BigPaddy posted:

We nearly had a massive truck accident at work once because of left hand threaded studs. Weekly vehicle checks (cos government) included “physically check wheel nut torque” after we had a few wheels come loose on the light fleet. So every week, the guys got the big socket set out and checked the wheel nuts were tight on a 23 tonne truck, slowly backing off the left hand steer tyre nuts.

And then 2/3 of them came undone and fell off while the truck was rolling down the highway, fully loaded with a 25 tonne water tanker trailer behind it…

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ferremit posted:

We nearly had a massive truck accident at work once because of left hand threaded studs. Weekly vehicle checks (cos government) included “physically check wheel nut torque” after we had a few wheels come loose on the light fleet. So every week, the guys got the big socket set out and checked the wheel nuts were tight on a 23 tonne truck, slowly backing off the left hand steer tyre nuts.

And then 2/3 of them came undone and fell off while the truck was rolling down the highway, fully loaded with a 25 tonne water tanker trailer behind it…

your own in-house, professional mechanics don't know what direction the lug nuts go on the vehicles in your own fleet? :crossarms:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Raluek posted:

your own in-house, professional mechanics don't know what direction the lug nuts go on the vehicles in your own fleet? :crossarms:

Who said anything bout mechanics? These are just the park maintenance staff doing vehicle checks- the only time the vehicles went near a professional was for scheduled servicing or breakdowns!

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I lived at an apartment complex, noticed someone's lugnut was visibly loose, let maintenance know so they could tell whoever's car it was, then I come by 5 minutes later to see the maintenance guy tightening the lugnut back on with just his hands. 'Mechanic'

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I lived at an apartment complex, noticed someone's lugnut was visibly loose, let maintenance know so they could tell whoever's car it was, then I come by 5 minutes later to see the maintenance guy tightening the lugnut back on with just his hands. 'Mechanic'

You found the guy that torques oil filters on at 3 Hulk grunts.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I miss the textured oil filters Purolator used to make. I just had to put on a leather glove and I could remove them by hand (if I hadn't BDA'd the fucker on at installation, that is).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I don't remember Puro ones, but I do remember Fram ones like that.

But gently caress fram and their lovely filters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

In typical Fram fashion I found that textured black coating likes to flake off during removal thus negating its usefulness.