Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Marching Powder posted:

I am of the opinion the two will manifest stands ala Jojo and the fight will take place on a separate yet inextricably connected plane of existence.

Hakuho's stand is just another slightly larger Hakuho:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I just hope everyone has fun out there.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Dimebags Brain posted:

I just hope everyone has fun out there.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
The macaron will be RED, stained with the blood of like 50% of my starting roster. May all the rikishi have plenty of recovery time (lol)

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

What time would we be starting the top division, probably 3, 4 eastern?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Teddybear posted:

What time would we be starting the top division, probably 3, 4 eastern?

normally 3 eastern during summer time but i think weekends and the final day might be a bit earlier

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Makuuchi will probably start at around 2:30 Eastern. The US being on DST (while Japan doesn't bother) and the last day moving things 30m up for the ending ceremony make it "easier" than usual to watch.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
IIRC final day starts an hour earlier, so around 2am eastern.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The macaron will be purple.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Olympic gold macaron would make sense.

If Makuuchi starts at 2 et, approximately what time would the final showdown take place?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

IIRC final day starts an hour earlier, so around 2am eastern.

Half an hour earlier.

So final matchup will be about 1 1/2 hours or so after that.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Red macaron.

I work every Sunday morning so I never get to see the last day live. :(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Anybody have a good live stream? Mbovo keeps getting shut down, and I'd like to watch live.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

We just had gold last time, its gotta be silver or bronze

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kenning posted:

Anybody have a good live stream? Mbovo keeps getting shut down, and I'd like to watch live.

NHK will be showing the final day. https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Green macaron!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Kenning posted:

But also

https://www.twitch.tv/karla_sumoist since that NHK feed will only be the last hour of the final day, and this shows everything from the morning, and is already live right now.

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
RED MACARON

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
what'd the five fingers say to the face

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The macaroon will be a shimmering, iridescent radiance, both of this world yet not, suggesting great mysteries to the rikishi who can wield its power

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Brut posted:

But also

https://www.twitch.tv/karla_sumoist since that NHK feed will only be the last hour of the final day, and this shows everything from the morning, and is already live right now.

Thanks for the link and pointing out that it's already live! Super cool to see the lower divisions... what's on right now? Jonokuchi? The gyoji look like they're teenagers...

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Everyones Favorite Poster posted:

what'd the five fingers say to the face

HAKKEYOI

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
It will be white with the olympic rings painted on it because why bother with subtlety?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dimebags Brain posted:

The macaroon will be a shimmering, iridescent radiance, both of this world yet not, suggesting great mysteries to the rikishi who can wield its power

gently caress, the macaron is One Piece, isn't it?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Scythe posted:

Thanks for the link and pointing out that it's already live! Super cool to see the lower divisions... what's on right now? Jonokuchi? The gyoji look like they're teenagers...

Uh lets see, right now Jonidan 64 vs Jonidan 60 just ended, check this link for a results-hidden lineup of today's matches: (The torikumi)

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Results.aspx?b=202107&d=15&hideresults=on

The Japanese symbols for 1,2,3 are just 一,二,三, and you can see each of these in the division names as they're on screen, for Jonokuchi, Jonidan and Sandanme, makes it pretty easy to just eyeball it if you're tuning in randomly.

Edit: Ehhh I'm slightly wrong actually, it's:

Jonokuchi: 序ノ口
Jonidan: 序二段
Sandanme: 三段目

So that first one actually isn't a 一, I just misremembered it as such.

Brut fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 18, 2021

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Dimebags Brain posted:

I too am voting Octarine Macaron

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Oh and as for the Gyoji, if you catch them say his name, which is always going to be either Kimura Firstname or Shikimori Firstname, you can find their information on this page:

http://heyaaz.nagioff.com/2021/2021.html (click gyoji in the top bar)

I guess there's only 5 Jonidan Gyoji so we can just check them all, they have birthdays in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2002 and 2001.

Brut fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 18, 2021

Bellwether
Nov 4, 2009

Imperfection is beautiful!
In with my prediction for a blue macaron.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Brut posted:

(Helpful details about the torikumi and in-Japanese division names.)

Thanks, it figures it would be onscreen, I can't believe I didn't just think to look up the kanji for the division names. It's also super nice to have the furigana for shikona actually onscreen long enough to read (that's my #1 beef with the Kintamayama/Nattosumo summaries, they never show shikona in Japanese and I'm curious about the kanji!).

Edit: Purple macaron.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Brut posted:

Oh and as for the Gyoji, if you catch them say his name, which is always going to be either Kimura Firstname or Shikimori Firstname, you can find their information on this page:

I guess there's only 5 Jonidan Gyoji so we can just check them all, they have birthdays in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2002 and 2001.

It's so weird seeing such young gyoji, I had this idea in my mind that they all just materialized as grumpy old men

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Pink macaron.

TwoWordName
Jan 3, 2013

The macaron will be red with hot blooded sumo spirit.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Brut posted:

Holy poo poo, now this a resource I never knew existed. And I was right, they're all 20-21 at most. Meanwhile the shimpan all look like actual adults, so I guess the new guys are assigned to get up early and watch the kids? How is shimpan seniority even assessed?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Scythe posted:

Holy poo poo, now this a resource I never knew existed. And I was right, they're all 20-21 at most. Meanwhile the shimpan all look like actual adults, so I guess the new guys are assigned to get up early and watch the kids? How is shimpan seniority even assessed?

I believe there are 2 teams of 5 shimpan on any given day and they rotate back and forth every hour until the end.

There's a 5 year minimum requirement before Oyakata are eligible to be on the shimpan committee, which (usually) consists of 23 members, 3 of them considered higher ranked than the group of 20.

Brut fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 18, 2021

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

He's got Diaz level attitude for sure.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blue macaron.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
I'm feeling a cyan macaron

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Scythe posted:

Also remember shimpan are former rikishi, so they're unlikely to be particularly young anyway.

Also, the yobidashi announcing stuff will slowly get older and older as the day progresses too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Elissimpark posted:

Also remember shimpan are former rikishi, so they're unlikely to be particularly young anyway.

and a fairly successful one at that. the minimum requirements are either 1 basho at a san'yaku rank, 20 in makuuchi, or 30 as a sekitori (makuuchi and juryo combined). plus he needs to acquire the rights to one of the 105 shares in the JSA. yokuzuna and ozeki get a few years grace period tho and people can borrow one from an active rikishi that owns one and doesn't need to currently use it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiyori