Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Hey I asked for some advice earlier this week and got it. Just painted my first minis (planning on doing dnd stuff). Happy for any criticism! I didn’t mix paints or do any basing, but it was very relaxing. Had a lot of trouble getting under the most leaned over raptor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

As someone new to painting (but not modeling), take my feedback with a grain of salt, but next time spend a few mins scraping the mold lines that go around the model and they'll look even better. Paint looks like it's where it's supposed to be, and that's what I'm going to be shooting for!

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

As someone new to painting (but not modeling), take my feedback with a grain of salt, but next time spend a few mins scraping the mold lines that go around the model and they'll look even better. Paint looks like it's where it's supposed to be, and that's what I'm going to be shooting for!
So these are pre-primed - I would need to prime them again if I did that right? I did no priming, just gluing on to base and painting from there.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Its a great job! Seconding the removal of the mold lines though; a little bit of effort there goes a long way since they're basically the first thing the eye notices.

The model on the left: The tip of the tail is a bit blotchy from the wash. That would a good place to have spread around / absorbed excess pooling wash before it dried, or to hit with the base coat again to cover up once dried.

Looks like theres some spots on the other model too, but that tail tip is a good example of what to look out for. I'm also very new, and the washes can be real funky to use well in my opinion / skill level.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Fritzler posted:

So these are pre-primed - I would need to prime them again if I did that right? I did no priming, just gluing on to base and painting from there.

Depending on how much you scrape off, yeah you'd probably want to re-prime those spots. If you're really good with a knife and you only shave off thin lines of primer, I'd say go for it, but it's not a huge deal to just brush over the cuts. Don't worry that you'd have do the entire figure or match the primer color or anything.

For first job miniatures, these are pretty good! The wash is a little blotchy in areas, but I think it's not too distracting for the skin. Gives sort of a mottled look. When you start working on highlighting/shading, features like the claws on these guys (or things like tusks, horns) are great places to start practicing. These things usually stick out from the model, and look great with dark to light transitions.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I did a tank. Which isn't technically a tank.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
That is one fine looking treadgun.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Geisladisk posted:

I did a tank. Which isn't technically a tank.

looks great. are all of the highlights in oil?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is it just me or does anyone else like collecting paint? I look at some tutorials online and they want something specific, I go, oh, I don't have that, I should buy some more. I most likely don't need it, but, if I want to follow along with the tutorial I watched....

I suppose I can just mix but it feels better to simply have the color

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm currently really enjoying mixing colors but also totally get buying an exact match to help recreate something you saw. Especially if you are planning to paint a unit versus a one off.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Working on some Lizardmen from One Page Rules that I printed. They look really awesome but I'm not a huge fan of painting them, the models are just not incredibly fun to paint. Also they're incredibly frustrating to print, but thankfully they're responsive and helpful on their Discord.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

looks great. are all of the highlights in oil?

Not the highlights, but the shading. The green is just vallejo Olive Gray, lightened a bit with white ink to the right color, and then a oil wash of 50/50 black and burnt sienna. Really fast and easy tanks.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Geisladisk posted:

Not the highlights, but the shading. The green is just vallejo Olive Gray, lightened a bit with white ink to the right color, and then a oil wash of 50/50 black and burnt sienna. Really fast and easy tanks.

Thanks! Who makes the model?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

There’s a lot of excellent alternate lizardmen sculpts out there but I gotta say, that one is lazier than most

E: really nice paintjob though! You are a Contrast wizard

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 17, 2021

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cat Face Joe posted:

https://windriverarts.com/Brushes.htm#Pure_Red_Sable

You want the series 33. Here's where they come from but there's a ban on importing kolinsky sable.

https://www.rosemaryandco.com/pure-kolinsky-pointed

My W&N #2 is starting to die (losing its tip, even with giving it a good brush soap treatment) and I think I may pick up a few of these. I can't remember, how do these size compare to other brushes? What do people recommend getting usually?

I got some cheap synthetic brushes off of amazon and I have to say, while I recognize that the general advice to avoid mid-price synthetic brushes is good, the AK brushes I picked up a while back are actually pretty decent. Better snap to them, so they just paint better than the ones I got off amazon which are a little too soft. Also with decent care the AK size 8 has lasted a lot longer than I thought.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 17, 2021

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

Thanks! Who makes the model?

It is by Warlord Games.

https://store.warlordgames.com/products/isu-152-tank-destroyer

I was a bit nervous because it is entirely resin, and I've never had a large resin model like this that wasn't a pain in the rear end. But.. the casting is extremely crisp, there were no flaws whatsoever, and everything went together like a dream. Turns out that everyone but GW can do great resin models.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

Working on some Lizardmen from One Page Rules that I printed. They look really awesome but I'm not a huge fan of painting them, the models are just not incredibly fun to paint. Also they're incredibly frustrating to print, but thankfully they're responsive and helpful on their Discord.

This looks great

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Dreylad posted:

My W&N #2 is starting to die (losing its tip, even with giving it a good brush soap treatment) and I think I may pick up a few of these. I can't remember, how do these size compare to other brushes? What do people recommend getting usually?

I got some cheap synthetic brushes off of amazon and I have to say, while I recognize that the general advice to avoid mid-price synthetic brushes is good, the AK brushes I picked up a while back are actually pretty decent. Better snap to them, so they just paint better than the ones I got off amazon which are a little too soft. Also with decent care the AK size 8 has lasted a lot longer than I thought.

I feel like they run a little finer than W&N to my eye. I got a 0 and 2 recently and feel quite happy with the sizes for painting but the 2 definitely doesn't have the belly and volume that series 7 or 8404s do. The 0 is almost so sharp I feel as comfortable using it over my 000 for eyes and things like that

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Finished this guy. I'm mostly happy with it, but it's primarily an experiment with some new paints and techniques.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Some fantastic work the last few pages.

Agitator question: I've got hundreds of old plastic BBs I could use but I'm worried they might get stuck in there if the paint dries. I could stop by a hobby shop on my way home from work but waste-not-want-not and all that, so I thought of dropping the BBs into my Vallejo Game Colour bottles. The paints are made for plastic so it's not like they'll dissolve the BBs even if they are in there for a long time, right?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Plastic BBs might not be heavy enough for a good agitator would be more of my concern. I don't see any reason they'd dissolve though.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I bought a cheap glass bead necklace at Michaels and snipped the string - all the agitators I'll need.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Buy a vortex mixer

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

Ohhh, I didn't even think about the weight of the agitators, good point.

I'm using a vortex mixer but some of the paints, particularly the blues, seem to be mixing... not as well? The bottom of the bottle remains much more saturated with colour than the top, which now that I think about it might just be fully dried paint that I'll have to dig into.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Went ahead and picked up an airbrush(Badger Patriot), and this thing is really proving to be a trial so far. Been getting super weak paint flow even with higher than recommended psi and vallejo primer that's supposed to be sprayable straight out of the bottle. Not really sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
A Patriot has a pretty fat needle so you should be getting plenty of flow out of it. Assuming nothing is broken, it's very likely that you need to add Thinner and/or Flow Improver into the mix with your Vallejo Primer. Just cause it says on the bottle you can spray it without thinning doesn't mean it sprays well out of your specific airbrush without diluting.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Literally every single thing that goes through your airbrush should have at least some amount of flow improver, even if only a drop or two.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Eschatos posted:

Went ahead and picked up an airbrush(Badger Patriot), and this thing is really proving to be a trial so far. Been getting super weak paint flow even with higher than recommended psi and vallejo primer that's supposed to be sprayable straight out of the bottle. Not really sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Is the primer literally the first paint you've put through it? Can it spray just water fine?

Space Friend
Dec 23, 2011

Hey thread. I stumbled into this hobby about a month ago after buying some spider folk to play Crisis Protocol with. Being sharpening my skills a bit with some WizKids models to work myself up to the bigger stuff. I really enjoyed this space marine but boy howdy was Miles nerve wracking in places. I wound up with some webbing that looks great in person but kinda sloppy in photos.

I experimented with gently grazing with a brush full of paint and some dry brushing. If I had to do Miles again I'd probably start with dry brushing the webbing to start. I also tried a vague sky reflection on the news stand but it turned out a little messy. I'm open to suggestions on technique if y'all have any.
https://imgur.com/gallery/gGHQEWH

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Silhouette posted:

Buy a vortex mixer

Is there a go to for this? I've been thinking about one for a while and it seems like a great dumb purchase

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006

I bought this thing which is now double what I paid for it and no longer being sold by Amazon, apparently. Happy with it so far minus a few stubborn paints. My purples are luscious now.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
You can buy that exact same mixer on eBay or Aliexpress for $30-40.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Eej posted:

A Patriot has a pretty fat needle so you should be getting plenty of flow out of it. Assuming nothing is broken, it's very likely that you need to add Thinner and/or Flow Improver into the mix with your Vallejo Primer. Just cause it says on the bottle you can spray it without thinning doesn't mean it sprays well out of your specific airbrush without diluting.

Yeah, .5mm. Went back and increased PSI to 40 and like 6 drops of thinner to 20 of primer and got much better results. I did end up getting a new problem after refilling to keep priming more models though, the paint got real runny and started pooling unevenly. I assume that was just too much thinner.

Eediot Jedi posted:

Is the primer literally the first paint you've put through it? Can it spray just water fine?

Yep, didn't have any models already primed to try other colors with. Water was spraying alright I think, but it's hard to gauge what's an ideal flow when this is my first time with an airbrush.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Eschatos posted:

Yeah, .5mm. Went back and increased PSI to 40 and like 6 drops of thinner to 20 of primer and got much better results. I did end up getting a new problem after refilling to keep priming more models though, the paint got real runny and started pooling unevenly. I assume that was just too much thinner.

Yep, didn't have any models already primed to try other colors with. Water was spraying alright I think, but it's hard to gauge what's an ideal flow when this is my first time with an airbrush.

The problem after refilling was probably you were too close or pulling too far back on the trigger.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
^ this

Pooling is caused by your paint still being wet when it hits a surface. Either action above gives the paint more contact with air to dry so it lands on your model mostly dry (but not literally dust, that's the complete opposite problem). Luckily it's just primer so just experiment with the distance that works for your specific combination of airbrush, paint thickness and pressure.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Many sheets of printer paper were sacrificed to me learning trigger control and distance with my airbrush.

Cheap models like the WizKids DnD models that are $5 for 2 or even stuff like plastic army men are also good sacrifices to the learning gods.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Dreylad posted:

W&N Series 7 #2 miniature on top, R&Co Series 33 #2 on the bottom.

Cat Face Joe fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 18, 2021

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Is that a Series 7 Miniature? It's hard to judge from just that picture but it looks a lot different than my #2

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

It sure fukin is. The package and label don't say it and I didn't order a miniature but it sure as gently caress is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Floppychop posted:

Many sheets of printer paper were sacrificed to me learning trigger control and distance with my airbrush.

Cheap models like the WizKids DnD models that are $5 for 2 or even stuff like plastic army men are also good sacrifices to the learning gods.

Yeah I've been practicing with reaper minis and bloodborne figures.

Naturally as soon as those were finished I moved on to forgefiend parts, which is when the spattering started.