Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i never played MGS5 past the first hour or so, and was thinking about maybe doing so. I'm told Death Stranding has a little MGS5 DNA in it; does that DNA include being a speeding loving gorilla and smashing people in the face with boxes taken from their unconscious buddies? (And more generally, how supportive is the game of loving Around instead of being stealthy?)

https://i.imgur.com/0OWN7Uv.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
MGSV is THE loving around game. Death Stranding is like if Kojim had to quickly make not-MGS on a borrowed engine in shorter order than he usually makes anything. Even just the feeling of sprinting in both games is very similar in the kind of power built into it. You can shoot your fist off like a rocket and then guide it around a corner to knock out a line of goons. You can call in air drops to knock someone out when a big crate of ammo lands on their head. You can hop in a little baby metal gearling and just tackle soldiers who somehow don't hear you sprint behind them. You can summon a dog who will take enemies down with a non-lethal stun-knife. You play firsbee golf with discs that pop up inflate snakes that can lure enemies over or knock them straight out if theyre close enough.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Stickman posted:

The biggest difference is that a Cyberpunk preorder was the full price of the game while a deck reservation is $5 (which you still get back if you decide not to go through with the order).

Why would somebody preorder a digital copy of a game

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Pre-order bonuses + bad consumeritis

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

i never played MGS5 past the first hour or so, and was thinking about maybe doing so. I'm told Death Stranding has a little MGS5 DNA in it; does that DNA include being a speeding loving gorilla and smashing people in the face with boxes taken from their unconscious buddies? (And more generally, how supportive is the game of loving Around instead of being stealthy?)

https://i.imgur.com/0OWN7Uv.mp4

You can do some loving around in Death Stranding but the game is really not built to support it and in some cases and places actively penalizes it, unless you just wanna gently caress around without really accomplishing anything or moving the game forward.

If you wanna revisit MGSV as a gently caress around platform, I'd recommend grabbing an intro skip mod cause jesus christ.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
MGS V has the Fulton mechanic which will force you to play at least nonlethal to get guys to level up your equipment. That's the one huge mistake. Aside from that, you can kinda do whatever.

Mescal posted:

Why would somebody preorder a digital copy of a game

Games penalize you for not preordering. FOMO kicks in, people preorder.

Preorder penalties are one of the most unethical things in gaming, and there are a lot.

I wish someone with balls would release a game with an unnamed preorder-exclusive DLC, and it turns out that the DLC is a dunce cap that you can never remove.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 18, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There is non-lethal version of everything though. If the game had a tool that ripped someone's skull and spine out of their bodies, there'd be a slightly more expensive non-lethal version, somehow.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Khanstant posted:

There is non-lethal version of everything though. If the game had a tool that ripped someone's skull and spine out of their bodies, there'd be a slightly more expensive non-lethal version, somehow.

Sitting here trying to imagine a non-lethal version of the Cerebral Bore from Turok

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Orv posted:

If you wanna revisit MGSV as a gently caress around platform, I'd recommend grabbing an intro skip mod cause jesus christ.

Yeah, every time I think it might be fun to replay MGSV (which is a blast) I remember the intro and loving hell.....

I also love that the game is basically just Pokemon but with a PMC and Soviet soldiers.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Khanstant posted:

The non-lethal non-stealth weapons are generally garbage that are worse than sprint up > melee until you get to the super expensive post-game FOB post-launch additions which are for multiple reasons irrelevant to someone doing an initial non-stealth playthrough.

That said, I don't want to make it sound like you have no options. It's just deeply flawed because you have like 50 options and 40 of them are bad. 10 options is still a lot, but it could have been so much better.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Orv posted:

Sitting here trying to imagine a non-lethal version of the Cerebral Bore from Turok

it burrows into their skull and destroys their head like normal, but then there's a jump-cut and they stand back up, head perfectly intact, maybe holding one hand to their side and saying "Owww okay okay you win"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

it burrows into their skull and destroys their head like normal, but then there's a jump-cut and they stand back up, head perfectly intact, maybe holding one hand to their side and saying "Owww okay okay you win"

Eventually all games will be Yakuza, and the world will be a better place for it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

death stranding having special slo-mo when an enemy is downed while their cargo flies off their back, so that you can snatch it out of the air and immediately put it on your back during some sort of bizarre cargo-themed klepto brawl, is definitely the best thing about it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

death stranding having special slo-mo when an enemy is downed while their cargo flies off their back, so that you can snatch it out of the air and immediately put it on your back during some sort of bizarre cargo-themed klepto brawl, is definitely the best thing about it

:hai: Realizing that doing that was practically the explicit purpose of the slowdown was revelatory

basically i'm down to try MGS5 again if it lets me do poo poo like that but with more toys, which it sure sounds like it is

Orv
May 4, 2011

K8.0 posted:

The non-lethal non-stealth weapons are generally garbage that are worse than sprint up > melee until you get to the super expensive post-game FOB post-launch additions which are for multiple reasons irrelevant to someone doing an initial non-stealth playthrough.

That said, I don't want to make it sound like you have no options. It's just deeply flawed because you have like 50 options and 40 of them are bad. 10 options is still a lot, but it could have been so much better.

MGSV is a game where even the worst gun, lethal or non-lethal, is not taking much time at all to down people and it is not a challenging game, so it's not really "40 of them are bad" it's that "40 of them are sub-optimal but it does not matter, use the fun toys."

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I beat a boss with a water gun. Use whatever you like.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I'm befuddled by the constant references to Cyberpunk being bad. Since we're in the Steam thread I assume we're not talking about the terrible previous gen console ports. On PC while it had a fair bit of UI/combat jank, it was unparalleled in storytelling/worldbuilding/atmosphere. It was certainly a flawed diamond, but some parts of it really shone.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's a bad game op

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Cyberpunk was one of the games where I kept putting off the main quest because I didn’t want it to be over, though that also means I never actually finished it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Darkrenown posted:

I'm befuddled by the constant references to Cyberpunk being bad. Since we're in the Steam thread I assume we're not talking about the terrible previous gen console ports. On PC while it had a fair bit of UI/combat jank, it was unparalleled in storytelling/worldbuilding/atmosphere. It was certainly a flawed diamond, but some parts of it really shone.

I had an absolutely fantastic time with it too but I also went in with zero expectations or hype because I didn't pay attention to it much before it was actually out. Lots of people had awful experiences also. I'm glad I'm not one of em' but it's understandable the negative reaction Cyberpunk got.

It pops into my idle thoughts still, means it really stuck with me.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Cyberpunk was fine but the open world was unnecessary. They took a Deus Ex game and just added more of a city and it probably would've been better if they'd pared it back down if they were just making another Deus Ex.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's a bad game op

bad games can be good

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rinkles posted:

bad games can be good

This is me defending Metal Gear Survive

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rinkles posted:

bad games can be good

I agree

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

I think it was a mismatch of expectations; eg people expected something as good as the Witcher 3. And (I'm not sure how much overlap these two groups have) expected to be able to go on rampages etc like Grand Theft Auto or Oblivion.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's a game with such wild feelings and occurrences around it that it's pretty natural for people to land hard on one side of the aisle or the other. The answer is probably somewhere in the middle (video game centrism,) a viciously flawed game that if you enjoyed the story it was one of the best story games of the year.

I passed on it entirely for various reasons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really enjoyed the game but there were some really obvious flaws to it, and since the game ran extremely smoothly and largely bug-free for me I was probably able to give those flaws more of a pass than the apparently not insignificant portion of people who suffered constant game-breaking bugs.

Kind of like Arkham Knight in that respect, that game was apparently a disaster for a large number of players on release but I was one of the lucky ones where it just ran fine.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

pseudorandom name posted:

PS5 and Switch have market share and getting Gamepass on them would ultimately hurt those platforms which is Microsoft's goal.

Making Gamepass available on the Steam Deck or Linux in general would probably help increase their market share, which is the opposite of Microsoft's goals.
If Steam Deck became popular and gave people more reasons to subscribe to Game Pass then that's a win for Microsoft. How would Steam Deck having market share hurt Microsoft in any way?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Volte posted:

If Steam Deck became popular and gave people more reasons to subscribe to Game Pass then that's a win for Microsoft. How would Steam Deck having market share hurt Microsoft in any way?

Other than a few stragglers almost everyone that games on a PC games on Windows. I'm not sure it's worth losing part of that market for a few Game Pass subscriptions.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

remember that while xbox and windows are both big the largest moneymaker for microsoft right now is azure, their cloud computing thing, and gamepass runs off of it entirely. getting azure onto more platforms is a big deal for them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Darkrenown posted:

Some parts did shine, but at the start the diamond was like an iceberg 7/8ths submerged in poo poo.
The PC wasn't as poo poo as the consoles, but still had a lot of bugs in it.
The magically appearing police and random car physics just ruined the atmos of the game.
I hear its better now though.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

pentyne posted:

How many people rushing to buy this Steam Deck made fun of people for pre-ordering Cyberpunk 2077?

Tech and software is one of the worst things to be first in line for, especially the first edition of the model.

lol

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

TOOT BOOT posted:

Other than a few stragglers almost everyone that games on a PC games on Windows. I'm not sure it's worth losing part of that market for a few Game Pass subscriptions.
What market? Are you saying Steam Deck would eat into the market share of Windows itself? Because I really doubt it. Not that I think Microsoft is overly obsessed with that these days anyway. This isn't Steve Ballmer's Microsoft. They already embrace other platforms openly. They sell Android phones, put games on the Switch, support macOS and Linux with their software development tools. Anything to get people invested in the Microsoft ecosystem is better than nothing, and Game Pass is a huge money maker for them.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

TOOT BOOT posted:

Losing part of what market? The deck is adding a second(or further) system for existing customers and/or expanding into a new market. MS is either retaining customers in their ecosystem or riding on Valve's coattails into the new market.

I don't have anything to say about the Deck really but this seems like an easy win for MS if they can get in there for cheap with no real downsides.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 18, 2021

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

The REAL Goobusters posted:

You have no idea how many people play with busted rear end laptops on steam dude

Yeah the tower I'm using is from 2013. It still runs Mechwarrior Online smoothly!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ciaphas posted:

95% of Death Stranding is simply traveling from point A to point B. If you are the type who enjoyed driving around GTA: San Andreas and seeing how much you can break the game by trying to get your car over the near 90 degree mountain then Death Stranding is for you. If not then its bad outside of some very Kojima cutscenes and Mads Mikkelson's and Troy Baker' excellent performances.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
e: oh i misread that original post anyway

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nah I kinda miswrote it I anyway, sorry about that. I've been playing DS a lot the last few weeks, that clip was mine. I was meaning to ask how much room for similar loving-about in fights MGS5 has, being (ostensibly) a stealth game and all that. (seems the answer is "a lot")

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Some parts did shine, but at the start the diamond was like an iceberg 7/8ths submerged in poo poo.
The PC wasn't as poo poo as the consoles, but still had a lot of bugs in it.
The magically appearing police and random car physics just ruined the atmos of the game.
I hear its better now though.

It's a great game for having fun with the individual missions and varying up your approach. This is very much a Deus Ex game shoved into a open world driving game.

Everything else around it feels weak and the driving is loving unacceptable for a AAA game. The entire leveling system is trash because nothing really means anything aside from a small handful of perks and the Oblivian skill system locks your skill progression based on your max main stat so you're constantly running around stuck at perk level 5 for 3 abilities while many others are at 5/12 because they level so slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

To add some more: MS will probably get to sell some copies of Windows to go on Decks and (this bit might be somewhat of a reach) hurt Valve by eating into their attachment rate while they have to pay out for the hw and development.

Edit: If Tim Sweeney had any drat sense he would have ridden the press wave by announcing they we're looking at developing a Linux version of the Epic client to go on the Deck.

More edit's because I can't stop: This is all assuming the Deck goes anywhere which I'm on the fence about tbh :shrug:

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 18, 2021