Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They’d also get sailors drunk n whored up, then they wake up on board having “chosen” to sign on.

Like even now it loving sucks to be on a ship. One goes a bit crazy (to full on bat poo poo crazy.) Merchant sailors thought the Royal Navy was even worse than just normal sailing (and it was).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The press routinely took foreign seamen illegally. The theoretical right to petition an admiralty court did little good to a monoglot Danish seaman picked up off the Azores by a British man o war headed to Singapore.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

The press routinely took foreign seamen illegally. The theoretical right to petition an admiralty court did little good to a monoglot Danish seaman picked up off the Azores by a British man o war headed to Singapore.

Hence the origin of the term "shanghaied." A dude would get drugged in a bar in a port, and would wake up in Shanghai (a metaphor for "far from home with no hope of return").

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
One point that is relevant to the discussion of Roman recruitment of sailors is the fact that rowing an ancient war galley was actually very complicated. Movies like Ben-Hur portray manning a war galley as a matter of mindlessly pulling an oar, but this is not at all the case. Ramming another ship was actually a fairly delicate maneuver, since if you hit the other ship with too much force, or in the wrong way, you could damage your own ship and get it stuck. A great deal of skill from the oarsmen was required to effectively pull off ramming maneuvers, which incentivized navies to use professional sailors who were well practiced at their craft. The difference between a skilled and experienced oarsman and someone with little experience rowing was huge, and experienced oarsmen were highly prized by ancient Mediterranean navies.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
So if you're dragooned into land armies but shanghaied into a navy, what's the term for being forced into flying a plane? Or being made a space marine while drunk?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mister Olympus posted:

So if you're dragooned into land armies but shanghaied into a navy, what's the term for being forced into flying a plane? Or being made a space marine while drunk?

Something something about the latter one being 'joining the Space Wolves'.

I'm not sure press-ganging for pilots was ever a thing... outside maybe those suicide planes the Nazis intended to be flown by Hitler Youth.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It was take a truly insane twist for planes to ever be cheap enough that pilots are the bottleneck, and yet easy enough that unwilling people pressed into service could manage it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mister Olympus posted:

So if you're dragooned into land armies but shanghaied into a navy, what's the term for being forced into flying a plane?

kamikaze

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mister Olympus posted:

Just SKY CRIIIIIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCOc2eGGJvY

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

So if you're dragooned into land armies but shanghaied into a navy, what's the term for being forced into flying a plane?

Shanghighed

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Something something about the latter one being 'joining the Space Wolves'.

I'm not sure press-ganging for pilots was ever a thing... outside maybe those suicide planes the Nazis intended to be flown by Hitler Youth.

Trouble is, put someone in a plane and they can...fly somewhere else.

Though I guess airliner hijackings might count? Trad version not 9/11 where the terrorists had learned to fly themselves.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nessus posted:

Yeah, more to the point, what Englishmen do to other Englishmen is less of a concern to another country, than what Englishmen do to the citizens of that country.

The whole point here is that by both British and what there was of international law at the time, British people who moved to America were still British. There was no method of renouncing British nationality at the time. Its still a massive pain to renounce either British or American nationality today btw and very few people do.

This still applies today to dual citizens. US citizenship doesn't stop you being liable for conscription in the other country for example.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The simple solution to getting Shanghaied is to mutiny kill all your officers and get into piracy.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 18, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

feedmegin posted:

Trouble is, put someone in a plane and they can...fly somewhere else.

*theme from the Great Escape plays as I pilot my Yokosuka MXY-7 Ohka to Switzerland.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

FreudianSlippers posted:

The simple solution to getting Shanghaied is to mutiny kill all your officers and get into piracy.

There were marine soldiers on every ship to prevent exactly that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

Bandoged

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zopotantor posted:

There were marine soldiers on every ship to prevent exactly that.

What happens if the marines decide piracy sounds great?

The term dragoon made me wonder if there are any big examples of dragoon-style troops in ancient warfare? Cavalry dismounting happened obviously. But were there large formations that would ride up and dismount as a matter of course?

I suppose the mechanics of firing a musket vs throwing a javelin make dragoons less necessary.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 18, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The rough equivalent to the firearmed horse trooper in the Roman army would have been the horse archer, who is more useful mounted than dismounted.

I’m positive there’s some historical record of an occasion when some Roman commander had some of his infantry grab onto the side of his cavalrymen’s horses (though no idea how, without stirrups) and “ride” to the site of the action that way so they wouldn’t be worn out when they got to fight. But I don’t have a reference for it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

feedmegin posted:

The whole point here is that by both British and what there was of international law at the time, British people who moved to America were still British. There was no method of renouncing British nationality at the time. Its still a massive pain to renounce either British or American nationality today btw and very few people do.

This still applies today to dual citizens. US citizenship doesn't stop you being liable for conscription in the other country for example.

In the early 1800s, a lot of the american sailors were born in the USA and were never “British” by any definition other than that used by the British who didn’t really consider the colonies an independent nation. The former British citizenry would have generally been too old to impress in the early 1800s. Your 18-25 year olds in 1800 were all born in free USA.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

feedmegin posted:

See - Singapore, today. If you're a male who is a Singaporean citizen and hasn't done your two-year conscription term, you'll be arrested entering the country and made to take part even if you were born abroad.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mr. Nice! posted:

In the early 1800s, a lot of the american sailors were born in the USA and were never “British” by any definition other than that used by the British who didn’t really consider the colonies an independent nation. The former British citizenry would have generally been too old to impress in the early 1800s. Your 18-25 year olds in 1800 were all born in free USA.

Emigration didn't stop though. Both legitimate emigration and Britons falsely claiming to have been American in an attempt to avoid impressment seem to have been real things.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The term dragoon made me wonder if there are any big examples of dragoon-style troops in ancient warfare? Cavalry dismounting happened obviously. But were there large formations that would ride up and dismount as a matter of course?

I suppose the mechanics of firing a musket vs throwing a javelin make dragoons less necessary.

I remember reading about how well-equipped Celt warriors (pre-Roman conquest) would ride chariots to the battlefield but dismount to fight. I don't know what proportion of their military would have been able to afford chariots versus just being footsoldiers though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Norse would frequently ride horses into battle but dismount before the actual combat started.

I've also heard about hoplites riding to the battlefield before forming the phalanx. No idea if there is any truth to that.

Which isn't quite the same as proper dragoons but in the same spirit.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 18, 2021

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Kylaer posted:

I remember reading about how well-equipped Celt warriors (pre-Roman conquest) would ride chariots to the battlefield but dismount to fight. I don't know what proportion of their military would have been able to afford chariots versus just being footsoldiers though.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Norse would frequently ride horses into battle but dismount before the actual combat started.

I've also heard about hoplites riding to the battlefield before forming the phalanx. No idea if there is any truth to that.

Which isn't quite the same as proper dragoons but in the same spirit.

Yeah, the early charioteer troops and celtic charioteers were basically dragoons, who mainly used the vehicles to transport armored nobles into combat, but they fought on foot. Carolingian and viking cavalry also usually fought on foot, because their horses were so tiny, so they were also very dragoon like. The horses and chariots made it possible for armored soldiers to move faster and arrive less tired into combat.

e:

skasion posted:

I’m positive there’s some historical record of an occasion when some Roman commander had some of his infantry grab onto the side of his cavalrymen’s horses (though no idea how, without stirrups) and “ride” to the site of the action that way so they wouldn’t be worn out when they got to fight. But I don’t have a reference for it.

I think that some of Napoleon's French troops did the same on some occasions.

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 18, 2021

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Epicurius posted:

Impressment in the Royal Navy was complicated. It was technically illegal to impress non-British subjects, and if you were a citizen of another country, you could appeal the impressment (although while your case went through, you were still stuck on the ship), Part of what complicated things was that the British government didn't allow you to renounce your Britishness, even if you were a citizen of another country. So, British sailors would move to America, become American citizens, and then still later be impressed off American ships, because as far as the Navy was concerned, they were British.

Arglebargle III posted:

Random port city dwellers were rarely impressed into service historically, it's mainly a pop culture thing that everyone was in danger. Impressment was targeted mainly at commercial sailors.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ChubbyChecker posted:

Impressment was targeted mainly at commercial sailors.

Yeah they wanted sailors not random people. Randos would be worse than useless.

But in the US that was a big deal too especially in the NE a lot of communities were built around shipbuilding and shipping.

Edit: to clarify here sailors were paid differently, basically they got shares, even the lowest crew. So when a vessel finished a voyage they got a portion of the profits. Sailing was risky so a family losing that income and future voyage incomes was a bfd to Americans and it hit a whole community. Also it’s not like anybody impressed was coming back, the British navy was pretty drat lethal at the time because of the wars.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 18, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Also it’s not like anybody impressed was coming back, the British navy was pretty drat lethal at the time because of the wars.

Not really? Not many major naval battles post Trafalgar. Disease, sure.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

As mentioned, um, no. The US is built on immigration remember? That includes Britain and Ireland which was entirely part of the UK at the time. The born in the USA types you mention are the ones who were NOT theoretically eligible.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 18, 2021

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Not really? Not many major naval battles post Trafalgar. Disease, sure.

Just being at sea is dangerous enough. Especially in a wooden ship. Disease, the sea, etc. military ships also had more people crammed in than merchant ships making all those things worse. It just kills people. It’s one thing to do it for a reward for a share of the voyage profit. But that was risky too.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 18, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think that shanghaiing is a separate thing from impressment, where civilian ships would pay "crimpers" to just kidnap people to put on their ships. I don't know if they tried harder to make sure that they got actual sailors instead of randos, but from some of the stuff I've read, they don't seem to check all that hard that the kidnapped people are...alive? So I think they're used to just making due.

Portland History posted:

Kelly often bragged that he could gather a full crew in less than 12 hours. Inevitably a ship captain would challenge him. One evening, in his quest to fulfill a boast, Kelly ran across a group who had stumbled upon the open cellar of a mortuary. Thinking the cellar was a part of the Snug Harbor Pub; the men had each consumed cups of embalming fluid, which they had mistaken for liquor. When Kelly found them, several had died and others were dying. Claiming the dead were merely unconscious from too much drink, Kelly sold all 22 to a captain whose ship sailed before the truth was discovered.

The 19th century global economy needed sailors on ships to keep going, and didn't really care much about whether people wanted to be sailors.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Thinking the cellar was a part of the Snug Harbor Pub; the men had each consumed cups of embalming fluid, which they had mistaken for liquor. When Kelly found them, several had died and others were dying. Claiming the dead were merely unconscious from too much drink, Kelly sold all 22 to a captain whose ship sailed before the truth was discovered.
These have gotta be the dumbest people I've ever heard of

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Gaius Marius posted:

Maybe they heard the story of Nelson's body being preserved in a barrel of brandy, and thought embalming was always done that way.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gaius Marius posted:

The key words are

quote:

too much drink

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Just being at sea is dangerous enough. Especially in a wooden ship. Disease, the sea, etc. military ships also had more people crammed in than merchant ships making all those things worse. It just kills people. It’s one thing to do it for a reward for a share of the voyage profit. But that was risky too.

Absolutely but this isn't 'because of the wars'. Same deal in peacetime.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Absolutely but this isn't 'because of the wars'. Same deal in peacetime.

Just because the French navy wasn’t doing much after Trafalger didn’t mean it wasn’t dangerous to be blockading and raiding shipping.

And naval discipline is taken more seriously during a war even if the naval part of the war has been won. And that poo poo suuuckked in that time period.

Edit:

If the British navy at the time wasn’t lethal as poo poo, why did they need to impress Americans?

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 19, 2021

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A ship is going to be a reflection of any society that produces it, and so it will consist of a large mass of laborers who do all the real work, and a tiny minority of elites that get to live in cabins with servants. And in the middle will be a group of violent enforcers armed with force multipliers like muskets and sabers.

The marines have every incentive to enforce the social order. They have complete license to perform their own crimes for profit. See, for instance, the casual criminality of American police and JSOC operators: constant thievery and fraud and domestic violence and DUIs and the occasional drug trafficking/murder for hire. But they're never going to perform crimes that upset the social order. So no piracy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The people tasked with maintaining the ship in the name of the owner back on land tended to be paid a lot more than they could expect under a relatively egalitarian pirate arrangement, I believe, for just that reason

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

The people tasked with maintaining the ship in the name of the owner back on land tended to be paid a lot more than they could expect under a relatively egalitarian pirate arrangement, I believe, for just that reason

I’m going from memory here. Particularly for whalers in New England, some of the ships were joint stock ventures but the shareholders were often the community. They built the ship, crewed it, etc all for shares. I guess this is part what makes impressment of Americans more of an issue to Americans at the time. I think English ships tended to be financed in a way that was more similar to modern finance (and modern finance and insurance actually come from this).

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 19, 2021

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phobophilia posted:

A ship is going to be a reflection of any society that produces it, and so it will consist of a large mass of laborers who do all the real work, and a tiny minority of elites that get to live in cabins with servants. And in the middle will be a group of violent enforcers armed with force multipliers like muskets and sabers.

The marines have every incentive to enforce the social order. They have complete license to perform their own crimes for profit. See, for instance, the casual criminality of American police and JSOC operators: constant thievery and fraud and domestic violence and DUIs and the occasional drug trafficking/murder for hire. But they're never going to perform crimes that upset the social order. So no piracy.

the marines didn't spend their watches pointing muskets at sailors. sailing ship marines weren't modern american cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Just because the French navy wasn’t doing much after Trafalger didn’t mean it wasn’t dangerous to be blockading and raiding shipping.

And naval discipline is taken more seriously during a war even if the naval part of the war has been won. And that poo poo suuuckked in that time period.

Edit:

If the British navy at the time wasn’t lethal as poo poo, why did they need to impress Americans?

commerce and whaling didn't stop during wars, and when the smaller peace time navy was expanded, the sailors needed to come from somewhere. whalers and the east india company's sailors were protected, so the impressment was targeted at other commercial sailors and former commercial sailors. and as was said earlier itt, the british law viewed british immigrants as still being brits.