Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i learned everything i need to know about building a pc from serial experiments lain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Libluini posted:

In the world of personal anecdotes and experiences, good experiences don't negate negative ones, I fear. This doesn't work like math, you know

Nonsense. Now let's do another Roko's Basilisk thread tangent.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I'm watching the SEW Dell video now, and I don't think his problem is that he needs meds; I think the problem is that he's being super-dramatic about the whole thing. Granted, I think it's partially done in jest, but half of it is existential despair over the fact that he screwed up and bought a PC that didn't have a wireless adapter and an SSD. The grievances against Dell are valid, but I would that when you have to order some special component adapter, you'd just accept that Dell is giving you the runaround, the computer is a piece of poo poo, and you should just try getting another computer entirely rather than trying to fix the thing.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 18, 2021

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I'm watching the SEW Dell video now, and I don't think his problem is that he needs meds; I think the problem is that he's being super-dramatic about the whole thing. Granted, I think it's partially done in jest, but half of it is existential despair over the fact that he screwed up and bought a PC that didn't have a wireless adapter and an SSD. The grievances against Dell are valid, but I would that when you have to order some special component adapter, you'd just accept that Dell is giving you the runaround, the computer is a piece of poo poo, and you should just try getting another computer entirely rather than trying to fix the thing.

I think the problem there is there's not much you can afford to do to fix things after laying out 3500 USD. How much money to throw around do people think others have for poo poo like this?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

I think the problem there is there's not much you can afford to do to fix things after laying out 3500 USD. How much money to throw around do people think others have for poo poo like this?

I mean, in the Caddicarus video, he spent £7,540 (about $10,000 USD) trying to get things up and running, but then I guess it hinges on how much you make on Patreon on such, if you have other forms of income through family, etc.

I would think as soon as you realize the computer had no wifi adapter and didn't have an SSD, you'd send if back while still in the return/refund window. If the refund window had passed, or if Dell is just poo poo (which they seem to be, based on the video) I suppose repairing it is your only option. I don't know what COVID lockdown is like in Ireland, but I'd have to think that maybe there was some PC repair shop he could have taken it to for help, or someone he could have sent it to.

When he talking about having to pay 400 euros for either the NVME or the FlexBay (the later of which he bought), it made me think of when you have an old car and it breaks down, but the cost to fix or maintain it ends up being as or more expensive than just buying another, newer car. Then again, this is a new PC that he bought, so I guess the analogy doesn't work. Hence :iiaca: and:iiapa:

Going through the video, it seems he spent €2,358 on the computer itself, and then about €567 for the wifi adapter, the SSD, and the bay, totaling about €2,925 (about $3,453).

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 18, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I think the producers of the Well Theres Your Problem podcast hate life in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkRhKNipOS0

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Max Wilco posted:

I would think as soon as you realize the computer had no wifi adapter and didn't have an SSD, you'd send if back while still in the return/refund window. If the refund window had passed, or if Dell is just poo poo (which they seem to be, based on the video) I suppose repairing it is your only option. I don't know what COVID lockdown is like in Ireland, but I'd have to think that maybe there was some PC repair shop he could have taken it to for help, or someone he could have sent it to.

He didn't figure out he didn't have SSDs until after it was past the return window. That was the thing that made him snap and try to return it. He called Dell asking why his PC was booting and processing things so slowly, they initially said there were no issues but eventually suggested maybe replacing the motherboard. Then they committed to sending a technician out 3 times who never showed up, someone finally showed up after the 4th request and that didn't fix it. Given it sounds like he had to wait multiple days between each request, it sounds like that ran out the 2-week clock on his return window.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nuns with Guns posted:

He didn't figure out he didn't have SSDs until after it was past the return window. That was the thing that made him snap and try to return it. He called Dell asking why his PC was booting and processing things so slowly, they initially said there were no issues but eventually suggested maybe replacing the motherboard. Then they committed to sending a technician out 3 times who never showed up, someone finally showed up after the 4th request and that didn't fix it. Given it sounds like he had to wait multiple days between each request, it sounds like that ran out the 2-week clock on his return window.

Which is - and I cannot stress this enough - completely intentional on the part of the company.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's a weird thing to make a video about, it's not an interesting story. I guess getting more people on board with hating pre-built PCs is okay? Eh.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Yeah I'm watching the SEW vid now and it's a bit extra. I normally like his stuff and I get that tech support stuff makes you want to punch a hole in the wall but the video's constant use of the "AND THEN THE DARKNESS OVERTOOK MY SOUL" bit stopped being funny almost instantly and he keeps doing it over and over. I think this should have just stayed a Twitter thread. Or just leave out the unfunny over-dramatic bits.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Everybody has their customer support horror stories but when it comes to PC's it's a particularly bad blend of terrible because of just how long it can get strung out. If you buy a TV or whatever there's only so many things they can ask you to do before the answer is just "put it in a box and ship it to us" and they send you a replacement. With PC's it can be days or weeks of "change this setting, check this component, oh we have to replace the motherboard. What, you got it back and it's still acting up? Well we have to try all that poo poo again before we decide now that it's actually the CPU please ship it back to us again." And if you're already somebody who is not tech savvy and bought pre-built specifically because you figured it meant you'd get a thing that just works, I'm sure it's uniquely frustrating.

That said the video could tone down the hysterics a notch or two.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I think the producers of the Well Theres Your Problem podcast hate life in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkRhKNipOS0

Is Alice still on it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean look if supereyepatchwolf is talking about mental breakdown and existential crises as clickbait schtick then how is that not mocking and exploiting actual mental illness lol

and lol at thinking 'this guy is boring and weird' is 'how dare he mock dell'. if anything his schtick undercuts the valid criticism of dell's customer service.

edit: also his wrestling vids are very bad too

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 18, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dabir posted:

Is Alice still on it?

Yes, Alice and Liam are still on Well There's Your Problem, so yes the podcast still contains approximately 66% shitbags, guest host-dependent.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, Alice and Liam are still on Well There's Your Problem, so yes the podcast still contains approximately 66% shitbags, guest host-dependent.

I mean DNE also doubled down defending Alice’s shitbaggery, so I guess he counts too. It’s really annoying that they’ve started to appear on other podcasts I like too. Alice was on the UKMT podcast and Liam’s been showing up on Lions Led By Donkeys, which is especially infuriating since he’s been on a bunch of episodes on topics that I wanted to see that show cover.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

i mean look if supereyepatchwolf is talking about mental breakdown and existential crises as clickbait schtick then how is that not mocking and exploiting actual mental illness lol

Everyone can have a mental breakdown, having one doesn't mean you're now mentally ill :rolleyes:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Libluini posted:

Everyone can have a mental breakdown, having one doesn't mean you're now mentally ill :rolleyes:

yes but how is faking one not lovely

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean DNE also doubled down defending Alice’s shitbaggery, so I guess he counts too. It’s really annoying that they’ve started to appear on other podcasts I like too. Alice was on the UKMT podcast and Liam’s been showing up on Lions Led By Donkeys, which is especially infuriating since he’s been on a bunch of episodes on topics that I wanted to see that show cover.

Honestly, Well There's Your Problem got absolutely unpalatable to listen to for me incredibly quickly because I bounced from their Hyatt Regency walkway collapse episode to an actual documentary about the collapse with interviews from actual survivors of the tragedy and the juxtaposition between the survivors recounting the utter horror of the event and Alice and Liam literally celebrating over those same deaths and life-altering injuries was loving nauseating. They're a pair of goddamn monsters irrespective of their other shitbag activities and gently caress DNE for ever going to bat for them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

yes but how is faking one not lovely

faking one for entertainment purposes is vastly different than doing so in real life

Edit:

or are you arguing he went e.g. to a doctor with his fake breakdown to get some help he didn't need? because then we're talking, that would be lovely

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sankara posted:

It's a weird thing to make a video about, it's not an interesting story. I guess getting more people on board with hating pre-built PCs is okay? Eh.

Anything that gets people in the know about the fact hat the good PC buying options are:

A: Building the whole goddamn thing yourself with as much assistance as the internet can muster
B: Buying an un-modified prefab

Because modified prefabs are just horror stories waiting to happen. Dell aren't even the worst when it comes to customer support, I would give that honour to Razer who can be real lovely to deal with.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
have we moved onto talking about how sew catastrophizing over a lovely, time consuming, potentially very expensive mistake is, like, mental illness stolen valor or something?

ya'll know that he has spoken about his struggles with mental illness right? like he's got an anxiety disorder?

you're allowed to dislike something, stop trying to find some reason it must be Bad and just admit it.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Sydin posted:

Which is - and I cannot stress this enough - completely intentional on the part of the company.

Yeah, a salient point that he makes later in the video is that the only reason Dell reaches out to him is because he has over a million subs on his YouTube channel and hundreds of thousands of followers on Twitter; if he had been some random guy with no following having the same issue, Dell would not have given a gently caress.

As he admits, part of the issue is his own fault, but Dell intentionally didn't help to begin with

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

egg tats posted:

have we moved onto talking about how sew catastrophizing over a lovely, time consuming, potentially very expensive mistake is, like, mental illness stolen valor or something?

Only Endorph, currently

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

This argument is dumb can you all please stop collectively digging a bad posts hole

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

egg tats posted:

ya'll know that he has spoken about his struggles with mental illness right? like he's got an anxiety disorder?
look i realized we got told to move on but i wanna be clear here: i didnt. someone else proposed that he was faking it when i just said i found the video annoying. that sounded lovely to me. blame the person who put that forth, lol. ill eat the probe here if junpei wants i just wanna be clear on this point. i still think the video's tacky and stupid but i regret going off half-cocked about that point, i just assumed that since someone said it to defend him it precluded him actually having anything like that.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 18, 2021

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

This argument is dumb can you all please stop collectively digging a bad posts hole

Gonna have to be more specific.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Not touching the mental health stuff.

Having now finished the video he comes off as even more of a dumbass, quickly switching between saying he doesn't know computers and falsely claiming things are standard. Whenever a problem comes up he seems to pick the most expensive and complicated solution without doing the research, which is what got him into trouble in the first place.

He bookends the video by saying it was his own fault but doesn't actually go into what he did wrong, which would have been helpful to stop others from making the same mistake, which is in stark contrast to the details he puts into whatever Dell does.

Is the scarecam level overacting and "cool" nicknames used barely twice standard for him? Because that's way too offputting.

Edit :Also isn't Ireland in the EU, how come he has to deal with out of warranty issues, when the minimum should be 2 years? Is it because he tried messing with it?

Hel fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 18, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Hel posted:

Edit :Also isn't Ireland in the EU

Starts with B, ends with T :v:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Yardbomb posted:

Starts with B, ends with T :v:

Unless he's in Northern Ireland (and his accent strongly suggests he's not) then old Brexit shouldn't affect him in that regard.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Civvie plays Cruelty Squad, a game made up entirely of photosensitive epilepsy hazards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4NLbIxzQ4

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
re: Why is this SEW video even a thing? Well, the first 2/3rds is I think almost word-for-word a repeat of the twitter thread, which was pretty melodramatic but also obviously just him venting nonsense feelings on twitter. Then it went viral. So I guess this video is in the same vein as Quinton's Giant Garfield saga or Sarah Z or Linday Ellis doing follow ups about the legal threats they got on prior videos. He's capitalizing on the updates he has to give by turning it into a video he can have fun editing and get some money off of.

It is pretty over-the-top, even for him, but again most of it is just a dramatization of what he was already did in the twitter thread.

Hel posted:

Edit :Also isn't Ireland in the EU, how come he has to deal with out of warranty issues, when the minimum should be 2 years? Is it because he tried messing with it?

I don't know about EU law, but it looks like the issue is he bought a "business computer." Aka: your highly disposable office PCs. That's why it didn't come with a wifi card, and also likely why it had plain hard disk drives. They're mass trash Dell sells to businesses who don't give a poo poo. He said Dell support advised he only had a 2-week warranty because of it, so maybe there's a loophole in EU laws related to that?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't know about EU law, but it looks like the issue is he bought a "business computer." Aka: your highly disposable office PCs. That's why it didn't come with a wifi card, and also likely why it had plain hard disk drives. They're mass trash Dell sells to businesses who don't give a poo poo. He said Dell support advised he only had a 2-week warranty because of it, so maybe there's a loophole in EU laws related to that?

Looking it up at least the Irish law doesn't apply if you buy it as a business rather than a
Private consumer.

Also I think the lack of WiFi is more on the fact that's it's a desktop computer rather than a business one, there's generally not much need for WiFi if you aren't moving the computer around and cables give way better performance.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

What are Alice and Liam notorious for?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Supersonic Shine posted:

Civvie plays Cruelty Squad, a game made up entirely of photosensitive epilepsy hazards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4NLbIxzQ4

CS is one of those games I have a deep, deep respect for what it is trying to do and how it went about it but also one of those games I can't watch with stuff on my stomach.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Nuns with Guns posted:

There's probably another reason a company would offer a PC that didn't have wifi built in - security (also employee control) reasons. Businesses want options to purposely nerf their computers and having at least one model with no wifi isn't a surprise. Having worked for a company way back in the day that needed to spend extra cash for a model that didn't have said capability I could see why they have that on the table. There are lots of business reasons for an air gapped computer, and if wifi is built into the chipset that's not possible.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Max Wilco posted:

Alice is a giant chans poisoned sounding piece of poo poo, biphobe among other things.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Alice is a giant chans poisoned sounding piece of poo poo, biphobe among other things.

Is she the same Alice who we were talking about in regard to doing a podcast complaining about James Bond, or was that a different Alice?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Max Wilco posted:

Alice told a trans woman to kill herself and that she was wrong for banning someone who tried to rape her from her house.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
because I linked that video do I have to post the whole One Piece rap as karmic balance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Max Wilco posted:

Is she the same Alice who we were talking about in regard to doing a podcast complaining about James Bond, or was that a different Alice?

Same Alice.