Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Waroduce posted:

thank you this is a very informative post. some googling shows that the 3070 performs best at approx 200 watts requiring a 500 watt psu which i assume would significantly out perform the ~115watt powered 3060?

I'm leaning more toward splurging on it since that seems to seed me very high re: performance and graphics for the future and I won't need a serious upgrade for a few years....

https://catrachadas.com/nvidia-rtx-3070-laptop-computer-vs-desktop-gpu-assessment

Yes, about 50% faster (for like 80% more wattage).

You're going to need to be mindful of heat generation, that's a ton of power. I'd strongly suggest a cooling pad in that situation (as weirdly controversial as that apparently is).

Also, keep in mind, you can get pre-builts desktops in stock with faster GPUs for about the same amount of money if you don't think you will be moving around with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's interesting that Nvidia had the same chips in desktop and laptop for the 10x0 series, but didn't even make it to the 20 series before releasing them anyways

Physics and thermal dissipation are a real bitch, it turns out, and manufacturers can't be trusted to design a laptop with proper ventilation

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hadlock posted:

It's interesting that Nvidia had the same chips in desktop and laptop for the 10x0 series, but didn't even make it to the 20 series before releasing them anyways

Physics and thermal dissipation are a real bitch, it turns out, and manufacturers can't be trusted to design a laptop with proper ventilation

Yeah, and I'm super annoyed with Nvidia's naming/tiering too. While I can see the advantage of the "3060 with whatever wattage!" in reality there are only 2 variations (least and most). Just call them the 3060 and 3065 or something.

The fact that the laptop 3080 doesn't use the GA-102 like the desktop is also annoying.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Lockback posted:

https://catrachadas.com/nvidia-rtx-3070-laptop-computer-vs-desktop-gpu-assessment

Yes, about 50% faster (for like 80% more wattage).

You're going to need to be mindful of heat generation, that's a ton of power. I'd strongly suggest a cooling pad in that situation (as weirdly controversial as that apparently is).

Also, keep in mind, you can get pre-builts desktops in stock with faster GPUs for about the same amount of money if you don't think you will be moving around with it.

The pre-built PC thing might be tempting depending on the price point. I don't plan on moving it much but I know even less about how to identify a decent prebuilt PC and I would feel a bit lost. I just want the ability to grab it and take my dog to the park or something while doing some light work (jira/confluence/TFS bullshit) while still being able to utilize it as a serious gaming device. Although I guess I could just buy an updated chromebook for that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lockback posted:

Yeah, and I'm super annoyed with Nvidia's naming/tiering too. While I can see the advantage of the "3060 with whatever wattage!" in reality there are only 2 variations (least and most). Just call them the 3060 and 3065 or something.

The fact that the laptop 3080 doesn't use the GA-102 like the desktop is also annoying.

I think this boils down to "customers can't comparison shop, if they don't know what they're buying" marketing/sales strategy. Also why consumer laptops only exist as a model for a year or two before being discontinued. They likely saw the trap that ford, Honda, Toyota etc fell into, which is create a model and sell it forever and there's a thousand spreadsheets out there to min/max for interior volume/engine power/luxuries etc

Business laptops have long lived product lines, but only because enterprise money is so drat lucrative, and also why they're highly recommended in the OP, because the quality and durability must be high to maintain their reputation over a decade or more

Buying a new consumer laptop, unless it's explicitly based on a business laptop, is a real gamble and why I don't recommend it unless you have to

A) buy new
B) on an extremely limited budget

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Hadlock posted:

I think this boils down to "customers can't comparison shop, if they don't know what they're buying" marketing/sales strategy. Also why consumer laptops only exist as a model for a year or two before being discontinued. They likely saw the trap that ford, Honda, Toyota etc fell into, which is create a model and sell it forever and there's a thousand spreadsheets out there to min/max for interior volume/engine power/luxuries etc

Business laptops have long lived product lines, but only because enterprise money is so drat lucrative, and also why they're highly recommended in the OP, because the quality and durability must be high to maintain their reputation over a decade or more

Buying a new consumer laptop, unless it's explicitly based on a business laptop, is a real gamble and why I don't recommend it unless you have to

A) buy new
B) on an extremely limited budget

To give a little back I purchased a Lenovo T420 years ago and the thing is a loving tank still and gets the job done.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Waroduce posted:

To give a little back I purchased a Lenovo T420 years ago and the thing is a loving tank still and gets the job done.

File under: reasons why thinkpads are still worth $150 on ebay even though they're used and 10.5 years old

You can't give away most laptops that are a decade old

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Waroduce posted:

thank you this is a very informative post. some googling shows that the 3070 performs best at approx 200 watts requiring a 500 watt psu which i assume would significantly out perform the ~115watt powered 3060?

I'm leaning more toward splurging on it since that seems to seed me very high re: performance and graphics for the future and I won't need a serious upgrade for a few years....

I’d suggest taking a gander at Jarrod’s Tech on YouTube. He almost exclusively reviews laptop and has already benchmarked a number of rtx 30* based systems. He’s found situations where a higher tiered GPU with a low tdp performing poorer than a higher TDP lower tier GPU, which in the previous comments points to with the Q vs P discussions. Also, a laptop having a MUX or not can help frame rates as with a MUX the GPU can bypass the APU and go directly to the screen.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2Rzju32yQPkQ7oIhmeuLwg

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Waroduce posted:

The pre-built PC thing might be tempting depending on the price point. I don't plan on moving it much but I know even less about how to identify a decent prebuilt PC and I would feel a bit lost. I just want the ability to grab it and take my dog to the park or something while doing some light work (jira/confluence/TFS bullshit) while still being able to utilize it as a serious gaming device. Although I guess I could just buy an updated chromebook for that.

You buy this for a desktop:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...T&skuId=6455823

Plus $150 for a 1tb NVME

Hadlock posted:

Well, you can't really game on a business laptop which is what most of these debates are around. And I think you're really selling short the strides made by Asus, HP and Lenovo in the last few years. Yeah they don't have the longevity as business laptops but no one wants a gaming laptop that is using 6 year old tech anyway.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lockback posted:

You buy this for a desktop:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...T&skuId=6455823

Plus $150 for a 1tb NVME

That case looks like a hotbox, and the reviews confirm it. It comes with a single fan working as exhaust, where it's probably pulling most of its air through the top vents. At a bare minimum, you'd need to add a front intake fan. I would probably do that in the bottommost front slot to give the gpu a little support, and then replace the CPU cooler with a top-mounted AIO water cooler since the front panel seems so restrictive (additional intake fans probably won't provide much extra air). But now we're talking about adding $100 to the cost of a prebuilt that's supposed to just work on its own. It might still be worth it. Equally bad looking 3070 prebuilts on newegg are going for $1650 or more with worse CPUs, so this may be a comparatively decent deal anyway. Note that in normal times, I would expect these kinds of systems to go for $1400 or less, but gaming laptops are seeing the same kind of cost inflation so nothing new there.

edit: actually it looks like the motherboard is way too close to the top of the case, so the top-mounted AIO config is out.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 15, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That case looks like a hotbox, and the reviews confirm it. It comes with a single fan working as exhaust, where it's probably pulling most of its air through the top vents. At a bare minimum, you'd need to add a front intake fan. I would probably do that in the bottommost front slot to give the gpu a little support, and then replace the CPU cooler with a top-mounted AIO water cooler since the front panel seems so restrictive (additional intake fans probably won't provide much extra air). But now we're talking about adding $100 to the cost of a prebuilt that's supposed to just work on its own. It might still be worth it. Equally bad looking 3070 prebuilts on newegg are going for $1650 or more with worse CPUs, so this may be a comparatively decent deal anyway. Note that in normal times, I would expect these kinds of systems to go for $1400 or less, but gaming laptops are seeing the same kind of cost inflation so nothing new there.

Granted, but even if you run out with no further cooling you're still getting better performance than a 3070 mobile (which of you go with the 225w will have cooling issues of it's own).

But a laptop is portable.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Desktop GPU prices are coming down at least. Most places are still scalper-tier, but could definitely could see them closer to MSRP prices within the next year or couple of months.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

What's a fair price for a 2017 XPS 13? It's an i5 with 8GB of RAM, 1080p screen, and 256gb ssd. Friend is selling hers and I'm thinking of using it to hold me over for the next six months to a year as my 2016 MBP is now complete toast due to water damage.

Main use will be making presentations, writing papers, and putting together figures and data in illustrator. I'm worried about the lack of RAM- running my standard meeting prep combo of Google drive + Dropbox + chrome + keynote + excel + acrobat was already a struggle for my MBP.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

AfricanBootyShine posted:

What's a fair price for a 2017 XPS 13? It's an i5 with 8GB of RAM, 1080p screen, and 256gb ssd.

$300 maybe, if the battery is still in good condition, no other issues/damage. If the battery isn't great then $200-250.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Got a decent deal (I think) on a refurbished (practically new condition) Alienware m15 R5 Ryzen 5800H with a 3070 in it. 16gb ram. 1600 CAD after tax.

I am hearing that I can lower temps and get better performance by undervolting/playing with settings so the thing doesn't get quite as hot and thus doesn't throttle itself. Anyone here have any experience with this kind of thing? Is it recommended?

edit: maybe I should read the last few pages of the thread

ben shapino fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 16, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

AfricanBootyShine posted:

What's a fair price for a 2017 XPS 13? It's an i5 with 8GB of RAM, 1080p screen, and 256gb ssd. Friend is selling hers and I'm thinking of using it to hold me over for the next six months to a year as my 2016 MBP is now complete toast due to water damage.

Main use will be making presentations, writing papers, and putting together figures and data in illustrator. I'm worried about the lack of RAM- running my standard meeting prep combo of Google drive + Dropbox + chrome + keynote + excel + acrobat was already a struggle for my MBP.

Maybe just get an M1 MBA for $899, it will absolutely blow the doors off your MBP (Back when it was still working)

$300 seems steep, even buying from a friend, I would think closer to $275 on the very high end

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anyone else considering the new Steam Deck? A $400 portable gaming pc sounds nice and it works in a docked mode. But it only works with Steam games. All the usual Tech Youtubers are exicted about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mu Zeta posted:

But it only works with Steam games.

Not really true. It runs steamOS out of the box, but you have access to the full linux OS underpinning it. It's also not hardware locked in any way and you could wipe and install windows on it and likely even dual boot if you wanted to.

Regardless of what one would think about the control scheme and the button placement, it's one HELL of a lot of hardware for the price. The $399 one is a bit thin though with 64gb of eMMC storage, but the 256gb one using NVME would be really great and is still good at $529.

There aren't really any $529 "gaming laptops" out there that would match what this thing can do and if you were willing to put up with slower storage or buy a large SD card upfront, $399 is a steal for RDNA2 graphics and 4 Zen 2 cores and 16gb of LPDDR5 RAM.

I am 100% reserving one at 1pm today. For $5 refundable reservation, it's a no-brainer. Then we'll see if anything bad comes up between now and launch in December.

Even if Valve turns around and abandons this in 6 months, it's about 500% better than any of the other indigogo handheld computers.

Here are the full specs if anyone else didn't see.

CPU: Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
APU power: 4-15W
16 GB LPDDR5 RAM (5500 MT/s)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 16, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I’m not planning on getting one, but that may just be because I never had a handheld console growing up and don’t have any nostalgia for the format. I’ve enjoyed playing around with the switch but always find myself wishing that the screen was larger. Plus any trip that is too inconvenient for taking a laptop is a chance to get caught up on my reading.

It looks pretty neat though, especially as a hobbyist project for emulating stuff.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

bull3964 posted:

Not really true. It runs steamOS out of the box, but you have access to the full linux OS underpinning it. It's also not hardware locked in any way and you could wipe and install windows on it and likely even dual boot if you wanted to.

Regardless of what one would think about the control scheme and the button placement, it's one HELL of a lot of hardware for the price. The $399 one is a bit thin though with 64gb of eMMC storage, but the 256gb one using NVME would be really great and is still good at $529.

There aren't really any $529 "gaming laptops" out there that would match what this thing can do and if you were willing to put up with slower storage or buy a large SD card upfront, $399 is a steal for RDNA2 graphics and 4 Zen 2 cores and 16gb of LPDDR5 RAM.

I am 100% reserving one at 1pm today. For $5 refundable reservation, it's a no-brainer. Then we'll see if anything bad comes up between now and launch in December.

Even if Valve turns around and abandons this in 6 months, it's about 500% better than any of the other indigogo handheld computers.

Here are the full specs if anyone else didn't see.

CPU: Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
APU power: 4-15W
16 GB LPDDR5 RAM (5500 MT/s)

The 399 SKU uses eMMC. It is specifically a trap.

I'm gonna be the curmudgeon and say, "No preorders for anything, ever", but I'm not gonna like, fight anyone on that. But if you are, don't even *look* at the bottom SKU.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, I mentioned it uses eMMC. Really depends on what kind of games you are looking to play on it.

This is all academic anyways because the steam store crashed at 1pm and nothing is getting through and I fully expect to see a sold out message at any moment. I'm so loving sick of this constrained supply poo poo.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I mean, I mentioned it uses eMMC. Really depends on what kind of games you are looking to play on it.

This is all academic anyways because the steam store crashed at 1pm and nothing is getting through and I fully expect to see a sold out message at any moment. I'm so loving sick of this constrained supply poo poo.

I just got my pre-order in. Not sure if I am going to pull the trigger.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The 399 SKU uses eMMC. It is specifically a trap.

I'm gonna be the curmudgeon and say, "No preorders for anything, ever", but I'm not gonna like, fight anyone on that. But if you are, don't even *look* at the bottom SKU.

The eMMC would be a good emulation system, since you also have an SD Card slot. That said I put in the the 256GB NVME.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lockback posted:

I just got my pre-order in. Not sure if I am going to pull the trigger.

Wish I had the same luck. Keep getting error initializing transaction or them yelling at me that I've made too many purchase attempts in the last hour.

Edit: Over an hour later I was finally able to get though. Hopefully this doesn't push be back into the Q2 of 2022 like the order page is saying right now.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 16, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The topic of a good, powerful office laptop comes up reasonably often. I'm not in the market right now but I just ran into the Lenovo P1 Gen4.

You get an 11th gen i7 or i9, and the GPU options include Quadro RTX A2000 (ISV 3050Ti) or Geforce RTX 3080.

Plus the usual niceties of a ThinkPad such as 90Wh battery, TB4, and business-friendly looks.

Edit: hey, the new ThinkPad keyboard even put the Page Up and Page Down keys in the right place.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 17, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The steampad looks like a turbocharged nintendo switch (i think the switch is ~300g and the steampad is ~700g), but you can dual boot windows + steam OS (i.e. arch linux with valve-specific tweaks + slick UI/UX) on the steampad

I would be concerned about the thermals on that device, seems like you're asking it to do a lot

Looks neat, but I'll hold out for the reviews. In the mean time, the Nintendo Switch plays 80-90% of the titles I want to play.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A "supercharged" switch is putting it lightly. The specs are several times more powerful than the Switch's. You can think of it more as a portable Series S with about half to a third as much processing power. It uses largely the same SoC architecture as the Series consoles (Zen 2 + RDNA2), but with slower(maybe?) LPDDR5 instead of GDDR6. The Series S targets 1080p for framerate modes and 1440p for quality modes, so a 720p target makes sense for the Steam Deck, and it seems achievable for contemporary AAA games at medium-ish settings... if they get native Linux ports, and maybe take advantage of SteamOS APIs. I have my doubts about the games coming out over the next several years, however.

Its actual competitor isn't the Switch, though, but portable PCs like the GPD-Win, Aya Neo, ONEXPLAYER, etc. It seems a bit more powerful than those, with better-looking control interfaces and what will assumingly be a better fit and finish (the aforementioned devices can feel amateurish, because they largely are by amateurs), and at a cheaper cost despite all that. It's a very nifty device, and anyone who ever eyeballed one of those handheld PCs before should definitely be looking long and hard at the Steam Deck. It just seems like a much better one of those for much less. I tossed in a $5 reservation and got put a few months back in the queue, so if the early impressions are that it sucks I'll just cancel it. No sweat off my back.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
poo poo I'm halfway considering one just to use as a portable FFXIV machine.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
meats back on the menu boys

Probably still not worth the e-waste to swap it yourself, though.

forcedstealthlevel
Jun 26, 2021
I recently picked up an Aorus g15 w/the 3080. I like it, mostly, kind of. Does anyone have any recommendations for docks? As far as I can tell the USB-c port on the right doesn't do thunderbolt, which is a bummer. I want to be able to connect two monitors (HDMI or DP both fine) and at least two USB devices (mouse dongle, external sound device that drives speakers/microphone and has its own power). Ideally the dock would also charge the laptop, but I'm gathering that this can only charge via the power brick and not any of the other ports.

Any suggestions? This issue is big enough for me that I'm considering returning what is otherwise a pretty good laptop.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

meats back on the menu boys

Probably still not worth the e-waste to swap it yourself, though.

How much is a 512gb nvme vs valves pricing model for the non emmc model

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

forcedstealthlevel posted:

I recently picked up an Aorus g15 w/the 3080. I like it, mostly, kind of. Does anyone have any recommendations for docks? As far as I can tell the USB-c port on the right doesn't do thunderbolt, which is a bummer. I want to be able to connect two monitors (HDMI or DP both fine) and

Any suggestions? This issue is big enough for me that I'm considering returning what is otherwise a pretty good laptop.

Go back a couple of pages, this comes up two or three times a month

You don't need TB3 for what you're proposing which will save you some money

I would not buy a laptop without TB3 though, personally

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

It's funny how the market is differentiated by brand pretty distinctly if you're looking for certain features. A friend remarked that it reminded them of the 90s days when what GPU you had could really mean a different experience.

Interesting that with AMD you get great performance and price again but tb3 is indeed a pretty big draw especially in the enterprise market I assume. I know I value it, although, much more so on smaller laptops than larger.

I feel like my entire device lineup is basically waiting for a series of checkboxes to tick, which some finally are starting to like new hdmi starting to be implemented. Still waiting on ddr5 . Also I don't want to buy an AM4 now since it's at the end of it's journey I suppose, so, that will probably coincide nicely.

I admit some of these may have already happened I haven't kept up with tech news in awhile

Also I am excited for usb4 and increased usbcpd..pd

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah 240v USB-C PD @ 48v is going to be a game changer

Looking forward to being able to shove an eGPU not just in a (ventilated) drawer, but across the room in the closet, and powering my laptop from the same cable. Right now 6 feet is the maximum length for 100w TB3 40gbps

Starting a new job soon and thinking about adding a TB3 eGPU to my 2018 XPS 15 i7 and a new VR headset to celebrate

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hadlock posted:

How much is a 512gb nvme vs valves pricing model for the non emmc model

well, seeing as how you can get 1 tb for $170 to $200, that may be the better play, assuming you can find one not through eBay. 2230 drives are almost exclusively OEM parts, and since the things are so drat small, you're looking at a single chip solution with no dram anyways.

forcedstealthlevel
Jun 26, 2021

Hadlock posted:

Go back a couple of pages, this comes up two or three times a month

You don't need TB3 for what you're proposing which will save you some money

I would not buy a laptop without TB3 though, personally

I went back 5 pages and just found advice for a usb-c dock, which is not what I’m looking for. I don’t think I explained it well but the usb c port in this thing is limited, it doesn’t charge and it doesn’t do DisplayPort. I’ve also read that it will only connect to the integrated gpu instead of the 3080 which defeats the point of everything. Seriously considering just paying the restocking fee and sending this back.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I went back 5 pages and just found advice for a usb-c dock, which is not what I’m looking for. I don’t think I explained it well but the usb c port in this thing is limited, it doesn’t charge and it doesn’t do DisplayPort. I’ve also read that it will only connect to the integrated gpu instead of the 3080 which defeats the point of everything. Seriously considering just paying the restocking fee and sending this back.

:beers emoji:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Yeah, if the USB-C doesn't do DP then there's not really such a thing as a dock.

Lots of gaming laptops won't charge over USB-C though, so you end up with two-cable docking.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

~Coxy posted:

so you end up with two-cable docking.

idratherdie.gif

What is this, 2014 :getout:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I imagine many manufacturers won't bother with charging 100W+ gaming laptops over USB until we actually get the 48V 5A standard out in practice, just to avoid support headaches from people complaining about them not running/charging as well over USB-C PD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah usb-c was a loving disaster 2015-2017

I remember referencing compatibity charts between the 5-7 chargers on the market at the time, vs the 6 laptops that actually supported usb-c at the time, mostly as a trial-by-fire novelty, at the time

48v usb-c pd will probably take a couple years to really catch on

I don't think people really appreciate the OG pixelbook, not only was it USB-C PD first and foremost, it strictly used USB-C PD; my 2015 pixelbook power supply works with my wife's 2021 macbook air. I don't think any other charger from that era still works with modern equipment. At the time, manufacturers would not support USB-C power adapters other than the one the laptop came with.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 18, 2021