Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea that's the weirdest part about that whole debate. The air turns out to be fine, and nobody dies as a result of having taken off their helmet. So who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Basebf555 posted:

Yea that's the weirdest part about that whole debate. The air turns out to be fine, and nobody dies as a result of having taken off their helmet. So who cares?

It's a helpful illustration of what I've been talking about : fans have difficulty understanding when a given character lies, speaks metaphorically, exaggerates, or so-on. This is especially true when the character is a Good Guy.

In this particular scene, numerous Good Guy characters say that it's unsafe to remove the helmet. Therefore, under fan logic, there must be something deadly in the air.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

Bbbbbbuttt that’s n n n not what scientists would doooo!

*watches Steve Irwin harass dangerous animals*

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's a helpful illustration of what I've been talking about : fans have difficulty understanding when a given character lies, speaks metaphorically, exaggerates, or so-on. This is especially true when the character is a Good Guy.

In this particular scene, numerous Good Guy characters say that it's unsafe to remove the helmet. Therefore, under fan logic, there must be something deadly in the air.

This must be a wonderful way to watch Bond films.

CelticPredator posted:

Bbbbbbuttt that’s n n n not what scientists would doooo!

*watches Steve Irwin harass dangerous animals*

It occurs to me that while mantas may be generally peaceful creatures, at the same time it seems pretty likely that we didn't know they might kill you with their sword/tail if you hang around them enough to annoy them or just randomly seem potentially threatening, mostly because only Irwin would actually hang around them long enough for us to learn that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just never got why people picked on that biologist when Steve Irwin existed.

Some people just wanna touch animals fearlessly.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Especially if they look like a dick

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Perhaps the film is trying to show that humanity is, in fact, a flawed creation. Something which might prove disappointing to a highly-intelligent and capable sentient android with a burgeoning god complex.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 18, 2021

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
At some point, something has to happen for there to be A Movie.

Thinking more about the Assembly Cut of A3, and just A3 in general. I really like reading the aborted scripts and concepts for Alien pictures, guys. The only part that bugs me about A3 [As A Movie] is that Andrews and Clemens are more interesting than the other characters and they get killed first. I'd really like to see their reactions to stuff that happens later in the movie.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 18, 2021

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

I just never got why people picked on that biologist when Steve Irwin existed.

Some people just wanna touch animals fearlessly.

I dive with sharks and have been rammed by a 12 footer and tried to pet a wild alligator until it roared at me, some of us are just boundary testers!

Most animals are super readable and predictable; goo snake wasn't showing any aggressive behavior at the time and was fine to deal with from any understanding of earth creatures that were similar. He didn't know he was in a horror movie.

Also, weird fact, but Steve Irwin was only killed because he tripped and fell on a stingray which activated its defense mechanism and it happened to be right near his heart where he landed since they attack anything that attacks them from above. Otherwise they're harmless.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The scientists in Prometheus are all like geologists and poo poo. Why would they know anything about nanomachines?

The correct analogy would be to, like, dentists and nurses who abuse their credentials as medical professionals to talk about virology.

You misunderstood and argued a strawman. I'm not sure anyone was bothered by the helmet scene? It came across as arrogance and hubris but it worked. You state that numerous Good Guy characters characters say it was unsafe to remove the helmet but that's not what happens, only Shaw is concerned (as a partner, not as a scientist) and the others imply that it's fine and are not alarmed.

Your mention of specialties is where the movie made it difficult to suspend disbelief. You bring up the geologist so I'll go with that. We see the guy released his orbs to map out the tunnels and he has all of this data on his arm, along with communication with the crew of Prometheus who are also more than capable of guiding him and Steve Irwin out. Instead, after taking a very simple route (what was it again, just two left turns?) they're completely lost and the crew of the Prometheus decide to cease comms with them because we have to get them in the goop room somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wVFvtowR6I

Darko posted:

Most animals are super readable and predictable; goo snake wasn't showing any aggressive behavior at the time and was fine to deal with from any understanding of earth creatures that were similar.

A snake raises itself into a defensive striking position akin to that of a king cobra, extends it's hood just like a king cobra prior to attack, and then repeatedly hisses any time you get close. You really don't take that as a warning and act of aggression? :stare:

You don't even need to be a scientist to know, as humans it's part of our natural instinct to perceive that behavior as threatening and a warning to back off.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SUNKOS posted:

You misunderstood and argued a strawman. I'm not sure anyone was bothered by the helmet scene? It came across as arrogance and hubris but it worked. You state that numerous Good Guy characters characters say it was unsafe to remove the helmet but that's not what happens, only Shaw is concerned (as a partner, not as a scientist) and the others imply that it's fine and are not alarmed.

Your mention of specialties is where the movie made it difficult to suspend disbelief. You bring up the geologist so I'll go with that. We see the guy released his orbs to map out the tunnels and he has all of this data on his arm, along with communication with the crew of Prometheus who are also more than capable of guiding him and Steve Irwin out. Instead, after taking a very simple route (what was it again, just two left turns?) they're completely lost and the crew of the Prometheus decide to cease comms with them because we have to get them in the goop room somehow.

After Shaw calls him an idiot, Charlie is repeatedly told over the radio to not remove his headgear.

But if you're not talking about the helmet scene, then what is the COVID analogy? What does a guy getting lost in a catacomb have to do with COVID response?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

He was vaccinated, it's ok

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Firstborn posted:

Thinking more about the Assembly Cut of A3, and just A3 in general. I really like reading the aborted scripts and concepts for Alien pictures, guys. The only part that bugs me about A3 [As A Movie] is that Andrews and Clemens are more interesting than the other characters and they get killed first. I'd really like to see their reactions to stuff that happens later in the movie.

yeah it really could have benefited from having another interesting key non-prisoner character in the back half.

i do like how quickly and completely the characters become completely hosed in those two moments though. Clemens dies, Ripley gets menaced, Andrews makes a "Samuel L Jackson in Deep Blue Sea" speech while Ripley bolts for the mess hall, she gets there and it's all over. it takes like what... five minutes?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Is the novel Aliens: Phalanx well written, at least? The plot synopsis is completely bonkers but intriguing at the same time — swords, arrows, shields, and body armor against xenomorphs! Oh my!

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Speaking of, is Alien: Into Charybdis available in paperback anywhere? If not and it was released in February any idea how long I have to wait?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

The movie Death Machine was recommended in this thread, so I decided to give it a watch. I've gotta be honest: it didn't really hold my interest. Brad Dourif is a lot of fun to watch, but otherwise the movie is low budget and it shows. The sets are fairly minimal, and the action involving the titular Death Machine is very closely shot (probably to hide the people operating the puppet. I'll probably watch Outland next time. Is that one good?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Do you like Westerns? Did you specifically like High Noon? Would you like to see Cliff from Cheers swell up and explode? Is Alien-style production design your thing? Then you'll probably like Outland.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlZTfQAQaoY

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dignity Van Houten posted:

Speaking of, is Alien: Into Charybdis available in paperback anywhere? If not and it was released in February any idea how long I have to wait?

Amazon says end of Feb of 2022

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

DorianGravy posted:

I'll probably watch Outland next time. Is that one good?

Having watched it for the first time two days ago I would say that yes, it is good. I’d never heard of it before last week but it holds up.

Outland is basically what it would be like if there had been no xenomorphs in Aliens and we instead saw the more mundane side of W-Y’s corporate evilness at work in Hadley’s Hope.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Outland owns.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Neo Rasa posted:

Outland owns.

Peter Boyle in spaaaaaace!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Apollodorus posted:

Having watched it for the first time two days ago I would say that yes, it is good. I’d never heard of it before last week but it holds up.

Outland is basically what it would be like if there had been no xenomorphs in Aliens and we instead saw the more mundane side of W-Y’s corporate evilness at work in Hadley’s Hope.

While it’s not “officially” part of the Alien “canon”, the author of the Alien RPG still managed to sneak in some references to it. :v:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
That’s cool as heck. It’s an obvious fit really.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

The movie Death Machine was recommended in this thread, so I decided to give it a watch. I've gotta be honest: it didn't really hold my interest. Brad Dourif is a lot of fun to watch, but otherwise the movie is low budget and it shows. The sets are fairly minimal, and the action involving the titular Death Machine is very closely shot (probably to hide the people operating the puppet. I'll probably watch Outland next time. Is that one good?

William Hootkins is hilarious in Death Machine and the movie is definitely strongest when it focuses on hammy character actors.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wVFvtowR6I

A snake raises itself into a defensive striking position akin to that of a king cobra, extends it's hood just like a king cobra prior to attack, and then repeatedly hisses any time you get close. You really don't take that as a warning and act of aggression? :stare:

You don't even need to be a scientist to know, as humans it's part of our natural instinct to perceive that behavior as threatening and a warning to back off.

A snake strike is a little different. They crane their necks in a different way when they are ready to strike. Cobras are just trying to make themselves look bigger as a defense mechanism for predators, and won't attack you after frilling unless you try to grab them or something. It's typically quite safe to be at the distance he was as the snake will just watch you, not go after you.

Source: I've been bitten by snakes.

Most terrestrial animals will not go after a human, ESPECIALLY smaller ones. If you see pretty much anything that's not directly charging you, the best option is normally just to stand where you are and let it do what it's going to do (and sometimes, like with gorillas, you still just stand there).

The idea of a much smaller snake thing attacking you when you're just looking at it and kind of coaxing it (unless you're by its nest, forgot about that) is pretty much like looking at an egg and expecting something to jump out and latch on your face. The alien life cycle creatures attack immediately, which is super unexpected to anyone unless youre in a horror movie.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Also, in promotheus it's not actually a snake and the biologist can see that

It's a just a big worm and he has no way to know it's impossibly strong and full of acid

Plus he's encased in a state of the art space suit, and trying to impress his not-boyfriend while high on space weed

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It also helps we know these things tend to be dangerous if not outright deadly, we've had several films to get use to that.

No one gives Kane poo poo for walking up to giant alien eggs and looking right in even after one opens up even if by this point we know that's outright stupid.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's 100% an ideological thing, because the space marines wear absolutely no face protection and fans don't give a poo poo.

The extreme concern over proper snake-handling procedure is very obviously a distortion/displacement of the real worry, which is that Milburn is insufficiently devoted to the cause of eliminating the aliens. He is objectively wearing better protective gear than any of the marines, but he thinks the snake-worm is cute.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Wrong! He thinks Fifield is cute, and wants to touch his snake-worm

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

DorianGravy posted:

crosspost from the horror movie thread, but if you want to go the other way and watch a quite-bad (but still enjoyable!) alien horror film with excellent monster design and great effects, you could do worse than Virus:

WeaponX posted:

But it has this alien hybrid human-machine.. ..borg meets cenobite gimmick that was really, really cool. I mean look at this poo poo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Virus owns, you wash your filthy mouth. <:mad:>

The practical effects are top notch, and even the CGI largely still holds up.

I’ve even got the action figures from that movie, because of course I do. The human figures are dumb, but the Virus-monster figures are great. They did one of the big monster at the end of the movie and it’s to-scale with the humans (reads: goddamn huge) and he says phrases from the movie, and the figure for the Alexei-bot comes apart in stages like it did in the movie, it’s awesome.

https://youtu.be/avC_0qLLI1M

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 20, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had those toys when I was a little kid. They were neat. Me and my friend tried to buy them all to put together the baf. I think we eventually did?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I was doing some idle pondering while driving long distance and I wound up with a question:

Is Bishop worth more than the Sulaco?

We know from the first two movies that an android is certainly worth more than a human worker, otherwise the Nostromo crew and maybe the Sulaco marines would all be androids. From the first movie we don’t get a sense of how common androids are. Parker’s surprised exclamation that Ash is a robot could, at the most extreme, mean “I didn’t know such a thing was possible.” Mother isn’t exactly life-like, after all.

What doesn’t really make sense is why the Sulaco isn’t as smart as Bishop. The Nostromo is a beat-up old tug so an obsolete AI like Mother is fine for hauling around heavy things, but the Sulaco is presumably worth a fair chunk of change and has lots of exciting weaponry. The fact that they leave the ship deserted when landing (which still seems really dumb) means that they already have an awful lot of faith in the onboard systems. It sure seems like it would have been handy to have your orbital weapons platform be capable of some independent thinking too.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

david_a posted:

I was doing some idle pondering while driving long distance and I wound up with a question:

Is Bishop worth more than the Sulaco?

We know from the first two movies that an android is certainly worth more than a human worker, otherwise the Nostromo crew and maybe the Sulaco marines would all be androids. From the first movie we don’t get a sense of how common androids are. Parker’s surprised exclamation that Ash is a robot could, at the most extreme, mean “I didn’t know such a thing was possible.” Mother isn’t exactly life-like, after all.

What doesn’t really make sense is why the Sulaco isn’t as smart as Bishop. The Nostromo is a beat-up old tug so an obsolete AI like Mother is fine for hauling around heavy things, but the Sulaco is presumably worth a fair chunk of change and has lots of exciting weaponry. The fact that they leave the ship deserted when landing (which still seems really dumb) means that they already have an awful lot of faith in the onboard systems. It sure seems like it would have been handy to have your orbital weapons platform be capable of some independent thinking too.

Ash is secretly inserted into the crew in a conspiracy to break any number of commonly-understood regulations and bring back an alien lifeform. You can then assume that androids just aren't used for space trucking, and the space truckers' entire load is of negligible importance to the Company, let alone the truckers themselves or human life generally. There's probably a thousand Nostromos running around, maybe even 10,000. It's likely cheaper to do this with blue collar workers than staff the ships with androids or completely automate them... For now. Or if it's not cheaper to use humans, it's considered a profound waste of potential to put androids on this kind of work.

As far as military applications, if American history can teach us anything it's that life is held cheap and mass production of superweapons is the norm. By 1986, no one in the audience needs to be told that you can afford to let a "dropship" with tactical nukes just idle in place. That goes without saying. Life-like AI assistants are another project on a completely different cost sheet.

Not only are the androids far more valuable than any ship or group of people, they are basically the next step in human evolution and the forces behind the movies' narrative. 2001, which Alien borrows from liberally, helps make this clear.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Ash is secretly inserted into the crew in a conspiracy to break any number of commonly-understood regulations and bring back an alien lifeform.

At the start of the film, the Nostromos is on a course for Earth. MOTHER set a new course after Ash was already assigned to the ship.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m watching virus right now. It’s kind of bad but the effects are so good it makes up for it. Fun flick. Cool cast but they feel a bit wasted. Sutherland gets the chew scenery but he seems bored imo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Schwarzwald posted:

At the start of the film, the Nostromos is on a course for Earth. MOTHER set a new course after Ash was already assigned to the ship.

Ash was assigned to the ship last-minute, with knowledge of Special Order 937 which was in place before departure. The Nostromo was always going to LV426.

The Company already knew about the signal and what it said, even if they didn’t know precisely what they’d find.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 21, 2021

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Is mother an acronym?

MOTHER eat the eggs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

*sigh*

Sometime in 2121 or 2122, Weyland-Yutani heard the signal

Weyland-Yutani were able to decode it as a warning to stay away (DANGER! DO NOT LAND HERE!)

In all the Earthling spacefaring time, there had been no contact and no indication of any kind of intelligent life anywhere

So W-Y were quite intrigued by this

The Nostromo was the next ship they had going out that way

They reassigned the science officer and replaced him with a robot, to ensure that it would be would investigated

They did not know the nature of the alien, its capabilities

Nostromo crew is woken up from hyperlseep, when they get close to LV-426

Crew of the Nostromo has a very bad couple of days in May of 2122

W-Y do not know what happened, only that the ship was lost
|
|
|
|
June of 2179, Ripley tells them what happened. Most of them simply do not believe it. Carter Burke, a low- level employee of W-Y sends a transmission to the colony to check this one sector, in the hope that there is something "valuable" there

Contact with the colony is lost

Burke assumes something of "value" is there, and the USCMC readliy responds to this kind of event

Mission to LV-426, they arrive a month after the colony went under, events of Aliens ensue

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 21, 2021