Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Gotta give Teru credit for having some serious chin. Rewatching that tachiai, I think a lot of MMA fighters would go down from a forearm like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
hakuho just wanted to even the playing field as both had no knees now both have no arms

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i seriously think hakuho just ruined teru's everything. from tonight, through to the announcement of his promotion, to the ceremony, to his first basho as a yokozuna, constantly running through his mind and the mind of everyone who follows sumo is the last time he was throwing down on the dohyo and how completely and utterly dominated he was.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

IS HE CRYING!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i genuinely feel bad for him.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Glorious

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Something I thought about during that last match, how often do those strings fall out mid-bout?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
to break this record, assuming no bashos won so lets say... Hoshoryu. For Hoshuryu to turn from this tournament into the greatest sumo to walk the earth to overtake Hakuho he needs to win every basho from now until end of 2028. And then one in 2029.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Liquid Communism posted:

Gotta give Teru credit for having some serious chin. Rewatching that tachiai, I think a lot of MMA fighters would go down from a forearm like that.

He has nothing to be ashamed of.

Oh my god he is.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Kenning posted:

I love Hakuho.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sounds like he's not retiring yet! this is great both for us to see this guy continue to do this poo poo while he can and for terunofuji to get another shot at him

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
What a dumb loving question

are you happy you had surgery and then went 15-0 including over the next yokozuna who had won the last two basho?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kenning posted:

He has nothing to be ashamed of.

Absolutely. Losing a brutal and hard fought match to the greatest yokozuna of the modern age after putting together 14 straight is nothing to be ashamed of in the slightest.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Pink macaron!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

absolutely insane. he now has twice as many zensho as anyone else in history. just taking those 17 zensho yusho alone would put him no 7 all time for any victories.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Maigius posted:

Something I thought about during that last match, how often do those strings fall out mid-bout?

Pretty frequently. The gyoji are pretty good at picking them up from under giant sumo feet and flicking them off the dohyo.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL8Oe9oh7mY

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

I AM SO GODDAMN GLAD I STAYED UP TONIGHT. Holy poo poo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I just wanna note, Hakuho is tied for first in the all time record of most wins in a calendar year (out of 90 bouts), with 86.

He's tied with himself.

He's also 3rd and 4th on the list with 82 and 81 respectively.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I have now correctly predicted the macaron 3 times in a row. Apparently this is my great skill.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Pinkuuuuuuuu!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Kenning posted:

I have now correctly predicted the macaron 3 times in a row. Apparently this is my great skill.

i'm ready to declare this a superpower

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1416689062073798657

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Maigius posted:

I love that you spoilered this. For real though better safe than sorry. I'd hate to have that spoiled because I didn't get to watch live.

To answer, all the loving time. They fall off at the slightest provocation and the rikishi always just effortlessly remove them post match anyway.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I like that they announced this with teru looking like he's in the process of forming voltron.

I'm still coming to terms with what I've just witnessed. An ancient yokozuna with a body experts didn't expect to make it through the full tournament just effortlessly dispatched 15 of the best rikishi in the world. He showed a man soon to share his rank and status that even at the pinnacle, there are still levels to this poo poo.

I wish stories like this got mainstream sports coverage so I could share my love of sumo with more of the people in my life, but I guess I can be content with this thread. Y'all are good people and this is a good sport.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That elbow smash would have put an elephant down, jesus christ. Terunofuji has a black eye from it.

What a hell of a finale. Terunofuji fully deserves yokozuna. Hakuho is just completely unstoppable when he's in form. 14-1 to the GOAT is nothing to be ashamed of.

One of the best, most electrifying bashos in a long time.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Marching Powder posted:

[spoiler]I'm still coming to terms with what I've just witnessed. An ancient yokozuna with a body experts didn't expect to make it through the full tournament just effortlessly dispatched 15 of the best rikishi in the world. He showed a man soon to share his rank and status that even at the pinnacle, there are still levels to this poo poo.

Just because it was in the paper doesn’t mean it’s true. There’s an element of gamesmanship at work.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

I'm still coming to terms with what I've just witnessed. An ancient yokozuna with a body experts didn't expect to make it through the full tournament just effortlessly dispatched 15 of the best rikishi in the world. He showed a man soon to share his rank and status that even at the pinnacle, there are still levels to this poo poo.

That wasn't effortlessly for Hakuho, I think that took a lot of effort out of him. And that final arm bar looked more like desperation because Terunofuji was keeping him away from his mawashi very effectively and he knew he didn't have the stamina to outlast Terunofuji. Fortunately, Hak is the GOAT and can turn almost anything into an oppurtunity and he grabbed that arm like no tomorrow. If I had to picture Beowulf wrestling Grendel, it would kinda look like that.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Just because it was in the paper doesn’t mean it’s true. There’s an element of gamesmanship at work.

Chris Sumo did some videos recently about hakuho from the perspective of the dude responsible for keeping Hakuho's body together and performing as well as it's able. There was some interesting information in them like he literally cannot straighten his arms, and has to sleep with his hands in his pockets to keep them bent so he doesn't wake up in agony.

It's really interesting and while I'm sure it's possible that sources close to hakuho could have lied to the press to play mind games I'm inclined to believe otherwise.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

That wasn't effortlessly for Hakuho, I think that took a lot of effort out of him. And that final arm bar looked more like desperation because Terunofuji was keeping him away from his mawashi very effectively and he knew he didn't have the stamina to outlast Terunofuji. Fortunately, Hak is the GOAT and can turn almost anything into an oppurtunity and he grabbed that arm like no tomorrow. If I had to picture Beowulf wrestling Grendel, it would kinda look like that.

That's a really interesting read of the fight, but I've rewatched it several times now and it keeps looking more lopsided from my perspective.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

That's a really interesting read of the fight, but I've rewatched it several times now and it keeps looking more lopsided from my perspective.

I'll admit the live feed I was watching was a bit choppy, so I may have missed something. I watched the regular angle of the fight just now, but I think it misses some of the handsy stuff before Hak turns it into an arm throw. This is a better angle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79RAQ0WbyFI&t=384s

T-Fu weathers the beatings and gets Hak's right hand off his mawashi. He loses his balance, which Hak senses and gives up the fight for mawashi and transisitions into spinning T-Fu and grabbing his arm for the throw. I don't think Hakuho was in control until then. If Terunofuji had been a bit more patient, I think he could have won. I'm not sure what his stamina is like now, but before his injury he could just 'lean' on an opponent and wear them down with his mass. I don't feel Hakuho could counter that in his current fitness.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

not gonna lie i'm probably going to start using t-fu. good ring to it.

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

That was fun to see Hakuho want to dominate a basho and actually have to work for it. So much emotion even in the first few days when he was winning by the skin of his teeth. The amount of power that man drives through his hips is incredible. I even enjoyed seeing the return of the "smack the temple into a forearm shiver to the face" tachiai that was frankly too powerful a few years ago. No wonder he can't straighten his arms anymore.

Once Hakuho had the firm mawashi grip after the slapfest I knew he had it. Nobody can hold the upper hand on Hakuho's mawashi with that hip wiggle of his. Harumafuji used to give him trouble but not many stay in control long. But I don't think he wanted to wait around and find out what Teru has to offer either and took the first weakness he felt. I'd hope he steps away after this, only one direction to go and he's sacrificed enough of himself on the dohyo as it is. What a champion.

And any day vintage Tochinoshin shows up is a good day.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What a final day. Absolutely buzzing

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I feel like Terunofuji had a plan right up until Hakuho jacked him in the face at tachiai, and then it all fell apart for him.

I'm also super happy with Tochinoshin, honestly. 7-8 in his condition is respectable, and that last win was perfect. Nice to see the skycrane make an appearance.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Tochi needs to wake up more though, too many bashos he'd had a rough start and needed to fish wins out towards the end. He makes life hard on himself.

Very happy for Ichinojo, I think he will reach komusubi now? It'll be the first time he's back in sanyaku since the end of 2018, and he deserves it.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 18, 2021

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
It’s the old Iron Mike adage

Everyone has a plan til they get punched in the mouth

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

That elbow out of the tachiai was a loving statement holy poo poo. Lightwork.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Hakuhos doctors lied and he's just been having a nice rest for a year while my boy teruno is forced to fight for his life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

loving hell, what an incredible final day.

You can see in the slow-mo replay how Terunofuji was just reacting in the moment after the initial scramble. He completely ditched his gameplan, stopped trying to think about what Hakuho was doing and went into survival mode. He made Hakuho work for it but you could see that he was beaten mind, body and soul.