Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
At least it's better than Netflix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What's going on with Netflix?

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

if luz earring is a black circle, and amity's earring is a black triangle.... whomst earring is a black square #secrets #conspiracies

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Eda's earring is a coat hangar.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Do you have a closet? "A closet? Mate, I have so many outfits I need a coat HANGAR!"

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

The United States posted:

What's going on with Netflix?

Netflix waits until a whole season is done before putting it up.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
binge watching is good for their inhouse blackbox engagement numbers , and stockholders love it when those numbers are good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The upcoming CGI He-Man show was mentioned a little in this month's edition of SFX Magazine:

-There will be a lot of easter eggs to every possible tie-in with the franchise, including Revelation, with 'subtle nods' to every series prior.

-A 'Day One' Prince Adam. Entirely different from what we've seen before

-The series will be a coming-of-age tale, with the characters on journeys of personal discovery and 'earning' new powers and their titles as Masters

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Eda's earring is a coat hangar.

That's partly because Eda, despite having a reliable door to the human realm, still knows next to nothing about it. I do hope they pay off the idea of Luz and Amity (along with Gus and Willow) going to Earth. Like:

Gus: What're all those things going so fast.
Luz: Cars. You get in them a ride to where you want to go.

Willow: What about all those weird glowing signs?
Luz: That's neon it makes the signs glow for advertising.

Amity: What about all those cracking or popping noises
Luz: Those are gunshots. We have a pretty high murder rate in this city. (listens for a bit) Yep, mom's gonna have a busy night at the hospital.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Larryb posted:

Then again, the new He-Man shows will also be on Netflix and they already seem to have a bit of merchandise lined up (plus this franchise has always been a giant toy commercial so you’d think Mattel would have wanted to promote it). Who knows

I'd bet it's partially because the production company gets a bite of merchandising revenue -- in the old days, MotU toys just licensed the show and Mattel made the toys and kept all revenues. DreamWorks controls the licensing of SPoP and gets the royalties (which they may share with Mattel, but it's less of an incentive to Mattel).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Of course, knowing Eda, she strikes me as the type to know that most of the junk she picks up probably has some uses and significance she doesn't know about, but doesn't particularly care because it's not like anyone on the Boiling Isles is going to know or care- to them, it's exotic novelties and treasures from a strange otherworld.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In regards to the upcoming CG He-Man reboot show, this image just leaked:

Based on her design I’m guessing this is the new version of the Sorceress

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh the cow-having is going to be spectacular :sludgepal:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Wait, are they doing two reboots of He-Man? Because the new one that we've all seen trailers of is definitely not CG.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Argue posted:

Wait, are they doing two reboots of He-Man? Because the new one that we've all seen trailers of is definitely not CG.

Yeah. Seems like they're trying to cover their quadrants.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
MOTU Revelations is a soft sequel miniseries to the 80s cartoon targeting older audiences.

The CG reboot is for kids.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Argue posted:

The CG reboot is coming later (I don’t think we have a release date or even a confirmed voice cast yet) and is being handled by a different studio while Revelation is more of a pseudo-sequel to the 80’s cartoon.

The people behind the former seem to have a decent track record in the animation industry at least so I’m hoping it’ll be at least SPoP quality if not better.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
As a Target employee in charge of the toy section in the morning. Please people stop stealing the Skelegod MOTU figure. I mean how are you even sneaking it out? the thing is huge.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
No real followup on the Luz/Amity from last episode, but it was still pretty good. That said, please magic owl Jesus don't let there be some dumb Amity/Luz/Hunter love triangle.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Everyone posted:

No real followup on the Luz/Amity from last episode, but it was still pretty good. That said, please magic owl Jesus don't let there be some dumb Amity/Luz/Hunter love triangle.

Kinda felt like Luz and Hunter were more bickering sibling-y than potential-romantic-interest but those lines obviously blur until one or the other says something concrete. I'll have to rewatch but think I noticed Kikimora blushing at something Hunter said/did/whatever near the end of the episode? Hard to tell on account of her having red skin but it caught my attention.

Also, wondering if witches with no natural magical ability (presumably no bile sac) are probably be the descendants of Wittebane having kids with a Boiling Isles native/witch?

Edit: I'm inclined to think that a love triangle is just generally unlikely because I think Terrace has said that any romance subplots aren't going to take narrative priority, they've already invested a decent amount in Luz/Amity, and they're on relatively limited time to throw new plates in the air. Hunter's backstory/relationship with Belos/animosity with Kikimora/interest in wild magic feels like more than enough interesting character arcs for him without adding a love triangle to the mix.

xeria fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 17, 2021

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

There's the added complication of AAAAAGH CREEPY HAND DRAGON.

The pop culture reference I wasn't expecting was the Palisman hutch being a nod to the wood beast challenge scene from the 1980 Flash Gordon, of all things.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I appreciate the Dollar Store Pokemon aesthetic they're going with for palismans.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

xeria posted:

Kinda felt like Luz and Hunter were more bickering sibling-y than potential-romantic-interest but those lines obviously blur until one or the other says something concrete. I'll have to rewatch but think I noticed Kikimora blushing at something Hunter said/did/whatever near the end of the episode? Hard to tell on account of her having red skin but it caught my attention.

Also, wondering if witches with no natural magical ability (presumably no bile sac) are probably be the descendants of Wittebane having kids with a Boiling Isles native/witch?

Edit: I'm inclined to think that a love triangle is just generally unlikely because I think Terrace has said that any romance subplots aren't going to take narrative priority, they've already invested a decent amount in Luz/Amity, and they're on relatively limited time to throw new plates in the air. Hunter's backstory/relationship with Belos/animosity with Kikimora/interest in wild magic feels like more than enough interesting character arcs for him without adding a love triangle to the mix.

I think that bit at the end of the episode was Kikimora's realisation that Hunter was the one who fought her & freed the Palismans. Of course, she can't prove it...

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Is Belos one of King's gross meat servants?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
About the new Owl House episode I would like to say: That shot at the start of the episode where we see all the heads of the various covens was anime as all hell, and that's not a complaint. I was looking at them all standing there all dramatic and thinking "Okay, which Straw Hat is going to have to face off against which coven head?".

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think that bit at the end of the episode was Kikimora's realization that Hunter was the one who fought her & freed the Palismans. Of course, she can't prove it...

Even if she could prove it, she probably doesn't want to tug on that particular thread too hard. Hunter has no natural magic and yet Belos apparently gave him that staff so he could channel magic. That indicates that Hunter is very much in with Belos. And Kikimora tried to kill him. Belos finding out about that would likely bode very ill for Kikimora.

mossyfisk posted:

Is Belos one of King's gross meat servants?

I doubt it. However given all that goop, Belos might be a partial Abomination now and he requires Palismen to consume to keep himself stable now. He might well be that human from the 1600s who used "wild magic" to become a partial Abomination to live for an extra few hundred years.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I still feel like Belos is a human, he just got into some crazy poo poo that was out of his league but gave him superpowers. And the reason there are powerless witches like Hunter are because they're his descendants.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Is it just me or did the Golden Guard/Hunter call Belos 'uncle'? I mighta misheard that.

I think that the episode opens with Luz staring at the memory mouse thing and the emphasis on Belos, his plans involving the human realm, health problems and a magic-less witchling are all not coincidences.

This episode also has more of what I love: implicit and explicit exploration of how the magic systems work both technically and culturally in the setting, and how they interact with each other. Belos having an outright grudge against 'wild magic', like Luz's glyphs and apparently Palismans, is interesting, and the Coven system being set up apparently as a counter to this... and it looks like Hexside and Eda both agree that this division is entirely arbitrary and artificial, with both Hexside's traditions and Eda's more primal kind of witchcraft incorporating both. Which is a nice extension of the theme that through Luz, Eda and Bump have buried the hatchet so that Luz can experience a broader style of learning and develop her skills however a human who wants to do magic can- and that increased flexibility benefits the other students too, and provides a win/win giving them Palismans they wouldn't otherwise be able to get, and giving the discarded Palismans a new home.

On that note, Boscha being the second person to attract a Palisman partner may hint that Palismans aren't just partnering up with good or nice people, but people who have long-term goals and understand what they want, which maintains Hunter's moral ambiguity right at the end.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is it just me or did the Golden Guard/Hunter call Belos 'uncle'? I mighta misheard that.

I think that the episode opens with Luz staring at the memory mouse thing and the emphasis on Belos, his plans involving the human realm, health problems and a magic-less witchling are all not coincidences.

This episode also has more of what I love: implicit and explicit exploration of how the magic systems work both technically and culturally in the setting, and how they interact with each other. Belos having an outright grudge against 'wild magic', like Luz's glyphs and apparently Palismans, is interesting, and the Coven system being set up apparently as a counter to this... and it looks like Hexside and Eda both agree that this division is entirely arbitrary and artificial, with both Hexside's traditions and Eda's more primal kind of witchcraft incorporating both. Which is a nice extension of the theme that through Luz, Eda and Bump have buried the hatchet so that Luz can experience a broader style of learning and develop her skills however a human who wants to do magic can- and that increased flexibility benefits the other students too, and provides a win/win giving them Palismans they wouldn't otherwise be able to get, and giving the discarded Palismans a new home.

On that note, Boscha being the second person to attract a Palisman partner may hint that Palismans aren't just partnering up with good or nice people, but people who have long-term goals and understand what they want, which maintains Hunter's moral ambiguity right at the end.

With the flip side that Luz wasn't able to attract a Palisman because she's still not really sure what she wants. One thing we learn is that it seems that one big reason she wants to go home is that she's still a little stuck in the "story logic" that at the end of a "magical journey" the heroine has to go back home. Except that from Luz's perspective this isn't a "magical journey story." It's reality. And in reality (depending on the circumstances involved) Luz is the one who has to decide how her "story" goes. It goes back to her basic problem from the beginning of conflating fantasy with reality. Or at least occasionally acting like she's in an "isekai" and getting yet another bite on the rear end when the Boiling Isles don't conform to the books she's read.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Someone needs to make an Owl House thread. The walls of spoiler text are getting obnoxious.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

Someone needs to make an Owl House thread. The walls of spoiler text are getting obnoxious.

I'll take the case! Got it all typed up but can't think of a good title though other than HOOT HOOT

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

TwoPair posted:

I'll take the case! Got it all typed up but can't think of a good title though other than HOOT HOOT

Hoo, Let's the Owl House

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

TwoPair posted:

"Owl House/In the middle of owl street"

"The Burning Isles are a real hoot: Owl House"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It is finished. Go forth and fill this thread with black bars no more

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 19, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Reviews are out for He-Man Revelation and…it’s certainly a thing:

(MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD)

Adam dies. Twice. First in the opening episode after the power sword breaks, the second is when he returns in episode five, having left the Preternian afterlife to reclaim the sword after Roboto re-forges it. Skeletor, who has also been absent since episode one (save for flashbacks), suddenly comes out of hiding just as Adam is about to transform into He-Man and skewers him, claiming the sword as his own and becoming a Master of the Universe...the Skelegod

Orko, who the reviews claim has the most surprisingly fleshed out story, sacrifices himself in episode four

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 21, 2021

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Larryb posted:

Adam dies. Twice. First in the opening episode after the power sword breaks, the second is when he returns in episode five, having left the Preternian afterlife to reclaim the sword after Roboto re-forges it. Skeletor, who has also been absent since episode one (save for flashbacks), suddenly comes out of hiding just as Adam is about to transform into He-Man and skewers him, claiming the sword as his own and becoming a Master of the Universe...the Skelegod

Orko, who the reviews claim has the most surprisingly fleshed out story, sacrifices himself in episode four

Those are some pretty big spoilers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I Am Fowl posted:

Those are some pretty big spoilers.

Good point, I went back and added a warning to my post.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another review, apparently there’s also some mild swearing and gruesome moments inspired by Akira:

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/fantasy/masters-of-the-universe-revelation-review/

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Larryb posted:

(MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD)

They're ruining my childhood!?Skeletor winning anything ever? pffft.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess that's one way to try avoiding how previous revival attempts were pretty boring. And if they're trying to emulate the old aesthetics of the series with a higher budget and older expected audience, that does seem like it'd lend itself to a sort of Liefeldian approach.

I still feel like it's a shame that the Thundercats revival had some absolutely bonkers worldbuilding ideas that it only got to in the last few moments before it ended for being otherwise pretty dull.