Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

An eminently relatable post indeed.

It's too damned hot and i'm taking three short cold showers a day so i don't melt and become a huge greasy blob on the carpet.

Norn Irn is not usually so meltable but it does bring back fond memories of 1976; the tarmac melting and me driving my Matchbox F1 cars through the sticky black goop with great delight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Just Another Lurker posted:

An eminently relatable post indeed.

It's too damned hot and i'm taking three short cold showers a day so i don't melt and become a huge greasy blob on the carpet.

Norn Irn is not usually so meltable but it does bring back fond memories of 1976; the tarmac melting and me driving my Matchbox F1 cars through the sticky black goop with great delight.

I dunno if this is folk superstition or what, but I think taking cold showers is the opposite of what you want, it'll convince your body the weather has cooled so it's worse when you go back into the heat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the other hand it literally has cooled because you got in a cold shower, and are now cold because of it, which is better than being hot.

I don't think getting a hot shower is going to make your body suddenly go "oh wow ok it's hot unlike the 30 degrees I was sitting in thanks for letting me know I'll cool down now"

Honestly I think some people are just automatically primed to do the least helpful thing possible because something cannot be both pleasant and helpful.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
When I lived in Egypt, 3 cold showers a day in the hottest summer weather was de rigeur.

Also, I learned that two desk fans blowing at me simultaneously, keeping my curtains/blinds closed during the hours of sunlight (sundown was at about 730pm - the difference between longest/shortest days that much nearer the equator is only about 3 hours or so), kept me pretty cool right up to about 38C.

Also, I learned that wearing cotton vest and 'cycling shorts' (which for some reason people think lycra cycling shorts are fine and trendy but cotton bloomers which are exactly the same style are laughably grannyish hence my use of the term cycling shorts) under jeans were the best thing for absorbing sweat especially when travelling on vinyl-seat buses. (I noticed when I first used to go out there that all men wore cotton vests under their shirts and working on the basis that men, as a general rule, do not do anything en masse to inconvenience themselves, that I would try it. And it was great. Meanwhile the women are bundled up in numerous layers of polyester but I digress).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 18, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Its folk lore that you could go into shock and die if you jump into a cold shower after being too hot.

Like the Alien at the end of Alien 3.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Honestly I think some people are just automatically primed to do the least helpful thing possible because something cannot be both pleasant and helpful.
Thus Question Time audiences.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Convex posted:

Better get these queued up for the news tomorrow evening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwxjYFqP35A

It's missing the best announcer quote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1fUwKMdAI

(You got it by going into settings and putting all the display options to the highest setting.)

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

"No no, we said "Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak will now isolate after being ‘pinged’"

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57879730

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Tindalos posted:

"No no, we said "Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak will now isolate after being ‘pinged’"

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57879730

Boris: I've had a cold
Journalist: So you hear Ws as Ts?
Boris: Yes
Journalist: I understand

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Having a cold shower vs. having a hot shower is the same argument as having hot drinks on a hot day. Strangely I'm take the opposite opinion on it - prefer a hot shower but despise hot drinks.

happyhippy posted:

Its folk lore that you could go into shock and die if you jump into a cold shower after being too hot.

Like the Alien at the end of Alien 3.

I suppose it is based on fact - if you jump into cold water your body can go into shock. I doubt your shower is cold enough to cause that though and you could just... step out of it.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm lost, what is "the pilot"? Ignoring pings and going to work places anyway?

This seems too be the study:

https://twitter.com/globalhlthtwit/status/1416687564816277509

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Suck it, airconailures.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

What's this pilot study lark?
I hope theyr all training to fly away

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Leaked info on it:

https://twitter.com/Bfromlondon/status/1416694079249960962?s=19
e: may be deleted or be broken so:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In positive news the trousers I asked about turned up and oh my god they are amazing like 90% pockets. I can put so much crap in them.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

50% chance of 10 days of being tested? Being tested where because that’s top 10 of the most ableist poo poo I’ve ever seen if it’s mandatory.

If it’s at home people with sensory issues can’t do the test (plus gammons will just lie and go about their day), if it’s at a walk in centre that means dragging a disabled person out the house every day for 10 days and that’s going to involve public transport for a lot of people.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

In positive news the trousers I asked about turned up and oh my god they are amazing like 90% pockets. I can put so much crap in them.

I thought the aim of the game was to not poo poo your pants though.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Szmitten posted:

Only in a limited & specific way. ;)

What brand did OwlFancier go for anyway?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Szmitten posted:

First day on SomethingAwful?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

learnincurve posted:

50% chance of 10 days of being tested? Being tested where because that’s top 10 of the most ableist poo poo I’ve ever seen if it’s mandatory.

If it’s at home people with sensory issues can’t do the test (plus gammons will just lie and go about their day), if it’s at a walk in centre that means dragging a disabled person out the house every day for 10 days and that’s going to involve public transport for a lot of people.

They send you a batch of test kits if you're in the not-isolating group. They'll be the rapid-result ones because you aren't allowed to leave the house each morning until you get a negative result.

If you can't take that type of test then you don't get to participate in the trial, and you must self-isolate like everyone else.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I have in my hand a home-made calippo :smug:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So gammons will drip water or get someone they know is negative to take it then.

This is one of those sentences that is even crazier in context. I don’t have the app. The app on the iPhone disconnects the Bluetooth we use for heart monitors on disabled kiddies wheelchairs. The shitheels running the app see no problem with this because they classify all heart monitors as fitness trackers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

Only in a limited & specific way. ;)

What brand did OwlFancier go for anyway?

Dickies Eisenhowers from screwfix as suggested, £20-some quid on clearance, might get a second pair.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
if you don't mind olive green or brown, your local army surplus place will have sweat wicking t shirts that work really well from anywhere between a quid and several, depending on if you care if someone wore it before you

OwlFancier posted:

Dickies Eisenhowers from screwfix as suggested, £20-some quid on clearance, might get a second pair.

seconding dickies for good work trou

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

if you don't mind olive green or brown, your local army surplus place will have sweat wicking t shirts that work really well from anywhere between a quid and several, depending on if you care if someone wore it before you

seconding dickies for good work trou

Unless it looks very distinctive from UK surplus (with a nice big Finnish/German fleg on it) i would not wear surplus here in N.I. *insert obese soldier emote here*.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/DAaronovitch/status/1416763694692843523?s=20

David Aaronovitch too thick to know when he's taking a L.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

forkboy84 posted:

David Aaronovitch too thicc to know when he's taking a L.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

David Aaronovitch too thick to know when he's taking a L.

That whole thread is moonspeak to me. Can you explain what the hell they're talking about? I also am dumb but I don't post on twitter so I assume that's ok!

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

I don't know if it's just the heat making me jumpy, but there seem to be an awful lot of reports of people who are double vaccinated but still getting covid. Is it just those stories are more remarkable so they get reported, or that if people think they are safe they take more risks? Obviously still better to get vaccinated than not, but it seems like a bad idea for everything to reopen if even vaccinated people are testing positive regularly.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

That whole thread is moonspeak to me. Can you explain what the hell they're talking about? I also am dumb but I don't post on twitter so I assume that's ok!

Aaronovitch thought he was being smart by claiming that Sarkar was the left-wing equivalent of Farage and the rest of it is basically him being a spiritually-74-year-old Tory really not understanding what the younger generation is on about.

Also isn't Ash taller than Owen Jones, just how short is he?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

spiderbot posted:

I don't know if it's just the heat making me jumpy, but there seem to be an awful lot of reports of people who are double vaccinated but still getting covid. Is it just those stories are more remarkable so they get reported, or that if people think they are safe they take more risks? Obviously still better to get vaccinated than not, but it seems like a bad idea for everything to reopen if even vaccinated people are testing positive regularly.

With the numbers of infections we're posting at the moment even a 99.9999% effective vaccine would still be seeing a substantial amount of breakthroughs. Also of course the vaccinated population is still older and more ill than the unvaccinated population so more susceptible, which also skews the numbers.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Interesting:

Guto Harri resigns from GB News (after having been suspended for the summer) - resignation letter:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/guto-harri-resigns-gb-news-knee-b1886127.html

quote:

It says: “Before I took the knee on air I discussed it with my producer, director, co-presenters and head of newsroom.

“After I did it, GB News captured the moment and proactively cascaded it on social media.

“Two days later you told me you wanted me to take a break for the summer. You did not say you were briefing papers and issuing a statement that accused me of breaching your editorial standards.

“I asked you to change that on the night – pointing out it was defamatory. You ignored my texts and refused to take my calls.

“I now see that you’ve hired Nigel Farage who immediately declared in public that he will not be taking the knee.

“Please explain how that does not breach editorial standards but I did – so I can share it with my lawyers.”

Mr Harri also told Mr Frangopoulos that he sees “no option now but to resign”.

He has criticised his employer for claiming “to believe in free speech” and then punishing him for expressing his views.

Writing in The Sunday Times, Mr Harri accused the channel of “becoming an absurd parody of what it proclaims to be”.

He wrote: “Rather than defending free speech and confronting cancel culture, it has set out to replicate it on the far right.”

etc

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
But also the double vaxx'd people you're hearing about are either politicians or actors or famous for reasons involving travelling internationally, meeting people, and doing group activities, so they were always going to be taking more chances per day than your average person.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
Seems a bit harsh.

https://mobile.twitter.com/campbellclaret/status/1416767827789459458

Actually, no. It isn't.

analphabetic
Nov 10, 2009
So......is everything still opening with restrictions removed tomorrow then?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

analphabetic posted:

So......is everything still opening with restrictions removed tomorrow then?

Wales moving to level 1 but not 'freedom' unlike England.

analphabetic
Nov 10, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wales moving to level 1 but not 'freedom' unlike England.

Well, no "freedom day" for me anyway. Currently on day 4 of 10 day isolation (tested positive). I'll be watching the results of this from home

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Certainly I think illustrates the order of issues that campbell takes with him though.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

spiderbot posted:

These vaccines were never particularly good at stopping infection. They’re better at stopping you dying.

The original plan was never to just ‘open ‘r up’ like this but the US and UK gotta do the end stage capitalism thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

analphabetic posted:

Well, no "freedom day" for me anyway. Currently on day 4 of 10 day isolation (tested positive). I'll be watching the results of this from home

I'm pretty sure that's why Wales is holding off for a while, to see how it goes in England first!