Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
will daddy ever love me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

el dingo posted:

will daddy ever love me
What does he look like, the God of Love?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

el dingo posted:

will daddy ever love me

A difficult situation, for your father will only know of it once love is dead.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Jesus; the hidden shield aspect lead to me dropping from near-full to dead on EM Boss 1. Zeus aspect has spoiled me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hidden shield is a really fun weapon and potentially really strong from what I can tell, but it kinda sucks that its competing with the aspect that fully embodies the “hee hee, [shield] go brrrr” meme cause it’s actually fair and balanced and Aspect of Zeus…yeah

GaiaShell
Mar 11, 2002

Hadn't touched this game in a while and decided to do a quick run. Took the bow with Aspect of Hera, and got Dionysys as my first boon with Trippy Shot. Then immediately got Daedalus hammer with Point-Blank shot. Kept throwing on every boon that had cast bonuses.

Everything disintegrated so fast. I've never had such an OP run before. Didn't get touched by ANY of the bosses.

Now just have to clear 2 more times for magic # 10. ...and still need to clear with the Stygian Blade lol

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

bucksmash posted:

Hadn't touched this game in a while and decided to do a quick run. Took the bow with Aspect of Hera, and got Dionysys as my first boon with Trippy Shot. Then immediately got Daedalus hammer with Point-Blank shot. Kept throwing on every boon that had cast bonuses.

Everything disintegrated so fast. I've never had such an OP run before. Didn't get touched by ANY of the bosses.

Now just have to clear 2 more times for magic # 10. ...and still need to clear with the Stygian Blade lol

I restarted playing a bit the other day too! I'm at 84 runs. I did Chiron bow, got the cumulative special damage hammer AND the +4 more arrows on special hammer. That plus some bonuses to special and it was stupid. I got Artemis on attack for good measure and so I was just critting and then just draining their health.

I finally managed to at least 1 weapon per type fully maxed, so now I'm going to start setting up some alternatives, that will will mostly be the Hidden aspect, if it's not the one I initially maxed.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Last Celebration posted:

Hidden shield is a really fun weapon and potentially really strong from what I can tell, but it kinda sucks that its competing with the aspect that fully embodies the “hee hee, [shield] go brrrr” meme cause it’s actually fair and balanced and Aspect of Zeus…yeah

I just cleared a run with aspect of Zeus and it's really powerful up until the final fight against Hades, and then it got much less useful because the dude never stood still.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I can't make zeus shield work for me, even booning it up correctly. I just ain't a fan of its combat style. Hidden or chaos preferred

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I’m currently trying a run with a level 3 Zeus off the back of some earlier comments and - yeah - not singing for me.

Edit: cleared, but wasn’t feeling it. Felt messy.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 9, 2021

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Some people love the Zues shield but I absolutely hate it. Don't put too much blood into a single weapon after reading forum hype.

Can you still reset blood spent on a weapon by abandoning a run partway through?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Possibly but why’d you put blood in it, lol? I hype the Zeus Shield because it’s gotten me a lot of easy wins but I’d never tell someone to invest their hard earned titan blood into it unless they were feeling it; lots of people love Aspect of Charon on the bow but even maxed I find it throughly mediocre and it’s not like Zeus Shield needs blood to do it’s job (rapidly rain down thunderbolts with Thunder Flourish). That’s the beauty of Hades, one guy’s super OP weapon is another man’s Guan Yu.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

For Hera bow do people normally load in one bloodstone at a time or smash in a handful of bloodstones for big numbers? Or do they just run the 1 bloodstone only mirror perk to sidestep the issue? I'm a fan of fully loaded shots myself but I'm curious to see how others do it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ibblebibble posted:

For Hera bow do people normally load in one bloodstone at a time or smash in a handful of bloodstones for big numbers? Or do they just run the 1 bloodstone only mirror perk to sidestep the issue? I'm a fan of fully loaded shots myself but I'm curious to see how others do it.

I mash three unless the enemies are kinda fragile. Also can be dependent on your boon set-ups. Like sometimes you may want to keep a specific Cast for whatever reason like spreading Trippy Fog.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

World Famous W posted:

I can't make zeus shield work for me, even booning it up correctly. I just ain't a fan of its combat style. Hidden or chaos preferred

I put a bunch of blood into chaos to up the number of shields it spat out but it really doesn't do it for me, I think because the regular shield throw is auto aim and all the extra chaos ones aren't. Do they even bounce off the walls? It felt like the extra ones weren't really doing anything.

I like the shield upgrade that stops the dash from moving you and turns it into a big bow.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

I usually do the three second reload with Festive Fog cause Festive Fog is balanced around having to wait like ten seconds per cast whether or not you land a kill but if you’re trying to do other casts loading up three and planning that everything you shoot up dies in that round is more efficient.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Red Bones posted:

I put a bunch of blood into chaos to up the number of shields it spat out but it really doesn't do it for me, I think because the regular shield throw is auto aim and all the extra chaos ones aren't. Do they even bounce off the walls? It felt like the extra ones weren't really doing anything.

Launch them at point blank and shotgun the enemy with them.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Tidal Dash + Breaking Wave (100-250 damage slamming foes into walls) + Typhoon's Fury (+200-350% damage slamming foes into barriers) is absolutely hilarious in the tiny rooms in the last area. You basically dash a couple times and everything hits a wall and explodes, making it way easier to get to the final boss fight with your health bar fully intact.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

NoDamage posted:

Tidal Dash + Breaking Wave (100-250 damage slamming foes into walls) + Typhoon's Fury (+200-350% damage slamming foes into barriers) is absolutely hilarious in the tiny rooms in the last area. You basically dash a couple times and everything hits a wall and explodes, making it way easier to get to the final boss fight with your health bar fully intact.

Synergizing a god with themself is so much fun. Full Poseidon is pinball madness, Full Ares makes blades of absolutely destruction, Artemis is crits to high heaven, Demeter is particularly fun by making everyone go slower and slower, and we all know how well Zeus makes things just explode. I think only Dionysus, Athena, and Aphrodite are better mixed with the others.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Synergizing a god with themself is so much fun. Full Poseidon is pinball madness, Full Ares makes blades of absolutely destruction, Artemis is crits to high heaven, Demeter is particularly fun by making everyone go slower and slower, and we all know how well Zeus makes things just explode. I think only Dionysus, Athena, and Aphrodite are better mixed with the others.

It doesn't work for Athena, but the idea that Dionysus and Aphrodite mix well with others is wonderfully on brand.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah. These days I use Athena like I do Hermes, you want the dash, maybe the Aid, and a Death defiance if you need it in the pinch, but not everything is useful (in the regard that you don't get Hermes to come up often enough for a whole build but for specific boons). Reflect can be good on a couple of weapons attacks/specials but it's not universal. It's annoying that "exposed" is kind of a useless debuff since it still requires you to do positioning.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
zeus shield + zeus special was my first 32 heat win, it's actually really good and you don't need any other boons to support it. if you don't enjoy it, cool, hope you find something you like

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sad to say my latest streak, which was high, but I'm slowing getting everything to 10 heat, was lost to the Basic Final Boss. I was using the Spear Hidden aspect, fully upgraded, and I was doing ok. Not a bunch of excellent perks, but nothing bad. I managed to get about 140 hp and had 4 Death Defiance after it all, but I still lost it all. You can't heal very well against the final boss since it puts you at too much risk, and what you heal is hardly enough for the amounts he hits for, so it never took more than a couple of hits to wreck me especially after that first death.

I got sloppy. I probably could've done it had I paid a bit more attention to my dodges and had patience to play a literal long game. But that Health hit is is tough.

I run with the mirror ability that grants you 50hp, should I not do that and take the other to train myself with less HP? It's just the other doesn't seem to be particularly great other, staying up 80% health is actually a bit difficult later on.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I'd love an entire rundown and discussion of mirror perks if anyone has strong opinions

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Saaaaaame. The discussion around not using Privileged Status was interesting

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Sad to say my latest streak, which was high, but I'm slowing getting everything to 10 heat, was lost to the Basic Final Boss. I was using the Spear Hidden aspect, fully upgraded, and I was doing ok. Not a bunch of excellent perks, but nothing bad. I managed to get about 140 hp and had 4 Death Defiance after it all, but I still lost it all. You can't heal very well against the final boss since it puts you at too much risk, and what you heal is hardly enough for the amounts he hits for, so it never took more than a couple of hits to wreck me especially after that first death.

I got sloppy. I probably could've done it had I paid a bit more attention to my dodges and had patience to play a literal long game. But that Health hit is is tough.

I run with the mirror ability that grants you 50hp, should I not do that and take the other to train myself with less HP? It's just the other doesn't seem to be particularly great other, staying up 80% health is actually a bit difficult later on.

I find the hidden spear aspect kind of weird balance-wise because it's a much worse version of the hammer upgrade for the sword that lets you heal on hit. Some of the alternate weapon aspects are really strong, but for some reason that one for the spear is just so-so.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I'd love an entire rundown and discussion of mirror perks if anyone has strong opinions

The ones I use (assuming they're at max level too):

Shadow Presence (vs Fiery)- you get 50% more damage on every back-stab. Sure that requires positioning but it's not tough to do versus a one-time 75% boost.

Dark Regeneration (vs Chtonic vitality)- I gives you a second source of healing and makes Darkness doubly useful. When re-doing a heat level that you lost once in you are almost guaranteed full health after a boss fight between this and the fountain. I find the +3 health is rather meaningless. It helps with chip damage, but most enemies hit you for well over this amount especially later on so you're really not gaining a lot of health. I haven't done the math but maybe you get as much as a small healing item after a whole area is done, which is hardly worth it.

Death Defiance (vs Stubborn Defiance)- I've tried the latter but if you're dying that often you've got bigger problems. The biggest problem with it is also you only ever get 30% of your health back which really doesn't put you in a good place even after you die. Kiss of Styx isn't that hard to come by either between the item, Patroclus, and Athena.

Ruthless Reflex (vs Greater Reflex)- I genuinely like Greater Reflex and I used it for a long time, but it's true that it makes you lazy. 2 or more dashes trivializes combat to a certain point and makes it harder to learn patterns. The damage boost of Ruthless is good but the dodge bonus is the real icing on the cake since that poo poo adds up. It's not hard to trigger either. Amazing with the Feather and Zag fists.

Boiling Blood (vs Abyssal Damage)- This is a strange one, because bloodstones don't always get stuck in an enemy, but I think the Best Offense is the Better Defense here. You may get hit for less with the other one, but the faster the enemy dies the less you're hit overall.

Infernal Soul (vs Stygian Soul)- It's really variable. The former is great for some attacks like Dionysus and Demeter, the latter is better when you want spam the attack more regularly. I think I prefer Stygian Soul overall since it requires less thought, but I'm pretty sure Infernal Soul is stronger since you have 3 bloodstones vs 1.

Deep Pockets (vs Golden Touch)- I think you need to have at least 220 gold at the end of each area for the latter to get you equivalent to the flat 100 gold Deep Pockets grant. That's rare since I tend to spend the money on the Charon before the boss. 15% isn't a lot of money honestly. Already at 500 gold you're only getting 75 which is fine, but it took ages to save up that 500 you know?

Thick Skin (vs High Confidence)- This maybe makes me play worse but I like the insurance of 50 health. I've noticed that the final boss will beat me if I go in with less that 200 health, and I don't want to have to always take Centaur Hearts. It's cool to start with 100% more health than you would otherwise. High confidence is a definitely good damage boost, but I don't think I would maintain over 80% steadily especially in the later areas and with later bosses.

Family Favorite (vs Privileged Status)- I ran with the latter for a long time. I don't think it's terribly hard to activate and it gives you a huge damage boost, but it's true that the former is way more hands off.

Dark Foresight (vs Olympian Favor)- I prefer getting Boons and Hammers over rare Boons. What good does it do you if you don't get the boon to begin with? Also I find the advantage given by a Rare boon is good but not great.

Gods' Legacy (vs Gods' Pride)- Legendary and Duos are insanely good skills to get and can change the tenor of a run in one fell swoop. Epic boons are definitely substantial but they don't stack up to the other two in my opinion.

Fated Persuasion (vs Fated Authority)- The only two options I have yet to max. I can see the advantage of the latter, but I have been able to deftly choose Death Defiances or other great boons with good use of the former.

That's me!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Red Bones posted:

I find the hidden spear aspect kind of weird balance-wise because it's a much worse version of the hammer upgrade for the sword that lets you heal on hit. Some of the alternate weapon aspects are really strong, but for some reason that one for the spear is just so-so.

It's a pity too. I had attack boosted up pretty high and sped up so it was genuinely useful with the Distance Hammer. I also had the faster charge up hammer so in most encounters I was doing more than fine.

Bosses hosed me, I could not out heal their DPS.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Dark Regeneration (vs Chtonic vitality)- I gives you a second source of healing and makes Darkness doubly useful. When re-doing a heat level that you lost once in you are almost guaranteed full health after a boss fight between this and the fountain. I find the +3 health is rather meaningless. It helps with chip damage, but most enemies hit you for well over this amount especially later on so you're really not gaining a lot of health. I haven't done the math but maybe you get as much as a small healing item after a whole area is done, which is hardly worth it.

Dark Regen is definitely good if you've beaten all 3 bosses and then failed in the temple / vs dad. Also good for healing after chaos gates since darkness is plentiful early.

But otherwise I think strict math summed over the whole run isn't the right way to look at it. Normal room darkness peaks in asphodel, is smaller in elysium, and absent in the temple. So the giant weakness of dark regen is that it loses steam in the harder half of the run. Whereas chthonic vitality is excellent in the temple, and I think a big difference-maker for whether you can afford to be greedy with extra rooms if you find the bag quick.

It's like, the +3 is less than the damage from a hard hit, but it means you get gradual recovery after a fuckup without needing to force it by buying a healing item / switch to a health keepsake.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Deep Pockets (vs Golden Touch)- I think you need to have at least 220 gold at the end of each area for the latter to get you equivalent to the flat 100 gold Deep Pockets grant. That's rare since I tend to spend the money on the Charon before the boss. 15% isn't a lot of money honestly. Already at 500 gold you're only getting 75 which is fine, but it took ages to save up that 500 you know?
Pretty sure the idea with golden touch is that you take it specifically to save up 1200 for titan blood from charon.

quote:

Thick Skin (vs High Confidence)- This maybe makes me play worse but I like the insurance of 50 health. I've noticed that the final boss will beat me if I go in with less that 200 health, and I don't want to have to always take Centaur Hearts. It's cool to start with 100% more health than you would otherwise. High confidence is a definitely good damage boost, but I don't think I would maintain over 80% steadily especially in the later areas and with later bosses.

I imagine that High Confidence (plus other damage boost options) is completely amazing with the feather, because who needs health if you have 75% dodge? But I'm not good & fast enough to do it myself.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The main issue with Cthonic Vitality is that it's useless in Styx. You basically have no healing there outside of any Boons.

I feel like Athena and Artemis have the least impact as Gods for me, even though they have been useful for me in the past. Athena Dash is really good, especially in Elysium, and reducing trap damage is quietly great in Asphodel, but otherwise most of her Boons are kinda... just there.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I've had good experiences from Artemis but I also find Athena kind of lackluster beyond Dash, Call, & Death Defiance re-ups.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

WHEW, I beat Extreme Measures Final Boss! I was on my last life with 14 health too. I kinda expected what was going to happen but I was not prepared for the darkness. That seriously hosed with me and I don't know if I want to tango with him very often.

Zeus/Dionysos Duo on Dionysos Cast, plus 3 spammable Demeter Special on an Eris gun carried me through, but it was very close.

Klyith posted:

Dark Regen is definitely good if you've beaten all 3 bosses and then failed in the temple / vs dad. Also good for healing after chaos gates since darkness is plentiful early.

But otherwise I think strict math summed over the whole run isn't the right way to look at it. Normal room darkness peaks in asphodel, is smaller in elysium, and absent in the temple. So the giant weakness of dark regen is that it loses steam in the harder half of the run. Whereas chthonic vitality is excellent in the temple, and I think a big difference-maker for whether you can afford to be greedy with extra rooms if you find the bag quick.

It's like, the +3 is less than the damage from a hard hit, but it means you get gradual recovery after a fuckup without needing to force it by buying a healing item / switch to a health keepsake.

Dark Regen is still pretty good in the latter half since it allows for a second source of healing. Treasure troves that are Darkness are a free full heal and can appear. Charon's well, let alone Charon, can offer Darkness just as easily as health points, but now you have twice the opportunities. It's true that Darkness isn't offered less as a reward, but those rewards are a pittance, in particular early on. The reason it heals is because you're getting chunks of 30 or so at a time, in particular with the +20%. It's a good safety to have in the pocket that is maybe less reliable late game, but when it lands it turns out to be a god-send (no pun intended).

Klyith posted:

Pretty sure the idea with golden touch is that you take it specifically to save up 1200 for titan blood from charon.

I imagine that High Confidence (plus other damage boost options) is completely amazing with the feather, because who needs health if you have 75% dodge? But I'm not good & fast enough to do it myself.

Yeah I imagine that's the point of Golden Touch, but it's just not very strong and depriving yourself of Charon's goods early on isn't great even if it isn't game-threatening.

I'll have to try High Confidence. I'm about to do a Feather Fist run. You can still get hit early on when your dodge isn't boosted, but maybe it doesn't matter?

Chaotic Flame posted:

I've had good experiences from Artemis but I also find Athena kind of lackluster beyond Dash, Call, & Death Defiance re-ups.

This. She's a pseudo-Hermes in my book, not necessarily in usefulness, but mainly because you only need a couple of her gifts. Her legendary is amazing though and works well with the Spear tip, her Demeter duo gives you get life regen, and while less impressive her duo with Dionysos slows down projectiles to the point of rendering them useless, they go so slow you can often just walk away from them, it's amazing. Deflect can be kinda good on Attack/Special depending on your weapon but I find her cast to be pretty useless.

Artemis is genuinely great and syngerizes well with herself and others. All her basic upgrades are useful, more so depending on the weapon. The fact that she can add tracking to both Ares' and Demeters' cast wrecks things, and her legendary, while seemingly underwhelming, gives you more bloodstones for a cast heavy build.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Chaotic Flame posted:

Athena Fists is probably the most effective defensive option available to Zagreus. You can full clear the first two biomes without taking any damage very very easily.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I always take golden touch because if the first hammer spawns in Charon's shop that's 200 gold down the drain for an otherwise guaranteed spawn. The second hammer can't spawn before Elysium and by that time you should have a good gold stash from dodging the first two to three shops, so Charon is not a trap anymore.

It's not like one needs boons for Tartarus and natural spawns give enough boons for a workable build in Asphodel, it's only in Elysium that you really need to start rolling the dice on duos/legendaries.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wait, does Hammer/Hermes spawning in Charon's shop lock them out of a second appearance later on even if you don't buy it? I thought it was dynamic in that if you don't grab it then it doesn't add to the 2-Hammer/Hermes counter, but I could be wrong.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

ApplesandOranges posted:

Wait, does Hammer/Hermes spawning in Charon's shop lock them out of a second appearance later on even if you don't buy it? I thought it was dynamic in that if you don't grab it then it doesn't add to the 2-Hammer/Hermes counter, but I could be wrong.

You’re correct. If you skip the hammer in a shop then it can still appear again later, even in the same biome/level. For that reason, it’s mostly not worth it to spend money on a hammer early because you’re almost guaranteed you’ll still see two hammers down the line.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ApplesandOranges posted:

It burns the guaranteed spawn. If you pass on an Hermes/hammer choice anywhere, there's no guarantee it'll be offered again (sanity exception: if you get offered both as room rewards and you take one the other isn't burned). Second chances at a skipped hammer are high but not 100%.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Athena has one of the most broken duo boons with Ares (Merciful End, instantly trigger Doom with deflecting attacks) if you make the effort to build towards it. Until you get that going, it's very lackluster, but once you get it working it just blenders everything. The path there is basically to get Ares on attack (so your normal punches cause Doom) and Athena on special (because you have to in order to get the duo boon you need) and dash (to trigger the duo boon), and then pray for Merciful End. Then you just constantly punch, dash, repeat until everything is converted into a fine mist.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There are so many broken duo builds I don't think it's easy to call any of them 'the most broken'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

There are so many broken duo builds I don't think it's easy to call any of them 'the most broken'.

Yeah. One of my favorite is Zeus/Aphrodite: 1 bar super charged Aid, pair that with Zeus's aid, or any of the ones that make you invincible and game's over.

I had a blast a couple times with Zeus/Dionysus with a constantly thundering fog bomb. I think my favorites is Artemis who then makes a couple of casts homing versions of themselves. It's incredibly loving useful and it lets you focus solely on surviving if the casts are pumped up enough.