Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i'm currently in the middle of battling Japanese beetles. i've killed hundreds so far this year by smacking them off leaves into a soapy bucket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

my experiment catnip isn't exactly thriving but it isn't doing too bad. in pots, soaked every night (it's been over 70 through the night and 90s or 100s or 110s during the day fairly consistently lately), backyard's shady so, I dunno, maybe 3 hours direct light and 12+ hours of partial shade. pots are weird, plants can tell, like, even if their roots aren't touching the edge of the pot they still know they're in a pot and some of them really don't like it, might be true for catnip

i got bad news
Apr 9, 2020

Atrocious Joe posted:

i'm currently in the middle of battling Japanese beetles. i've killed hundreds so far this year by smacking them off leaves into a soapy bucket

Compost their rear end, reclaim your nutrients

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Atrocious Joe posted:

I hate these motherfuckers but I'd take them over the cucumber beetles at this point

Love spotting a single beetle and knowing that it's probably already too late for my entire crop because they'll all be dead from bacterial wilt in two weeks

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

The Voice of Labor posted:

pots are weird, plants can tell, like, even if their roots aren't touching the edge of the pot they still know they're in a pot and some of them really don't like it, might be true for catnip

heat coming in at all sides of the pot is something I’m sure the plants feel. it must be very different from sinking your roots into the hard deep earth, especially if you think the plants head is in the ground and it’s doing a handstand with its feet in the air.
pots made out of fabric instead of plastic seem to be a bit better. the roots in a plastic put hit the edge and start curling while things like smart pots are supposed to do something different.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

i am harry posted:

pots made out of fabric instead of plastic seem to be a bit better. the roots in a plastic put hit the edge and start curling while things like smart pots are supposed to do something different.

Yeah it’s called “air pruning”. Root tips reach the air and stop growing, same as they would if the plant were on a hill.

A similar thing can be done chemically by painting the inside with copper hydroxide suspended in latex paint. The commercial product is “SpinOut”, but like I said, it’s just copper hydroxide in latex paint. Copper hydroxide is a fungicide approved for organic farming. Its purpose here is to kill just the very tip of the root when it hits the edge of the pot. Now instead of turning and following the curve of the pot, the root branches out deep within the pot.

It sounds bad to kill the root, but copper hydroxide is not water soluble, so it only gets the few cells that come into contact with the painted surface.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah I use airpots for that reason and plants thrive in them much more than traditional pots

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

i say swears online posted:

yeah I use airpots for that reason and plants thrive in them much more than traditional pots

Hey, do you have any suggestions on where to buy them that won’t charge an arm and a leg? I’ve always wanted to try these.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I prefer ceramic pots to plastic. I'm not sure if they impact the root growth, but it definitely helps soil moisture be manageable.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Hey, do you have any suggestions on where to buy them that won’t charge an arm and a leg? I’ve always wanted to try these.

i'm using the brand name loosely, just double-bag these if they need to stay especially wet. there are tons of vendors, i chose this at random

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

i haven't tried fabric pots. im intrigued, but i live in a hot area, zone 9. ive heard they dont work well here because they (a) dry out too quick in the heat and (b) get too hot, especially if they are dark colored

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

i'm using the brand name loosely, just double-bag these if they need to stay especially wet. there are tons of vendors, i chose this at random

Ah, got it! I thought you were talking about these here: https://air-potbros.com/

I’m growing strawberries and grape tomatoes in fabric pots and they seem to be doing rather well.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154451381153

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

osprey posted:

i haven't tried fabric pots. im intrigued, but i live in a hot area, zone 9. ive heard they dont work well here because they (a) dry out too quick in the heat and (b) get too hot, especially if they are dark colored

yeah you probably want more soil/larger pot size compared to a similar plastic or ceramic pots. i'd say i water twice as often with fabric bags but the plants grow twice as fast so i'm fine with it

i put mine on like old grates or cookie cooler wire grids so the bottom gets air too

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Ah, got it! I thought you were talking about these here: https://air-potbros.com/

I’m growing strawberries and grape tomatoes in fabric pots and they seem to be doing rather well.

these are cool but the price on them is loving bullshit considering how they're made by simply stamping a role of plastic sheet with a giant tenderizer roller. i'm almost tempted to make some of my own with a plastic bucket and a soldering iron just to prove the point.

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

yeah you probably want more soil/larger pot size compared to a similar plastic or ceramic pots. i'd say i water twice as often with fabric bags but the plants grow twice as fast so i'm fine with it

i put mine on like old grates or cookie cooler wire grids so the bottom gets air too

hmmm, interesting. might have to give it a try

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

i was given a few tomatillo volunteers from someone's garden and i understand they aren't self-pollinating but i guess you need 3 or more since only one of them has fruited and the other one hasn't and as a consequence is vegging out like crazy and like 6 times bigger than the fruiting plant

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I've just got two tomatillos and both seem to be fruiting fine for me.

But I will happily take this hearsay to my wife as justification for another plant.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Any go-to solutions for mildew on cucumber leaves? I've read people use mouthwash, baking soda + non-detergent soap. Not sure what's more effective and cut off the major damage so far. I still have some small spots on it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Neem oil works pretty well as a fungicide. Hit the leaves that have still have spots if you don't want to remove them, and spray down nearby foliage, too.

The real key is prevention, though. You can aggressively prune cucumbers and they'll still be prolific producers (might even produce more). I prune the hell out of the lower vines on established plants so that there's about 8-12" of just bare vine. That makes it easy to water the roots without getting the leaves wet, and it also lets you do some pest control without worrying too much about hurting bees or other pollinators.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Neem oil works pretty well as a fungicide.

it’s also a pretty good pesticide.

just don’t use it if you are trying to have kids.

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

today i saw a couple ladybugs loving on one of my cucumber plants :cheersbird:

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
my tomatoes are almost as tall as me. even the cherry tomato plant is pushing 5ft. started them late though, only just making their first blossoms now.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Would now be a good time to pick up soil for next season? I'm seeing lots of bagged mulches and topsoils on deep sale at Walmart, is it bad to buy it cheap and just stick it in a shed over winter? Is there a better time to buy?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

hell yeah you can

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Organic Lube User posted:

Would now be a good time to pick up soil for next season? I'm seeing lots of bagged mulches and topsoils on deep sale at Walmart, is it bad to buy it cheap and just stick it in a shed over winter? Is there a better time to buy?

yeah. my local garden center is going to put out their fall stuff in maybe two weeks

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if the dirt bags dry out they'll get weird and hydrophobic until they're soaked. not a huge deal but check the moisture a few days before you intend to use them

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

If you can handle a lot of mulch you can call your local arborists and tree trimmers to take their truckloads of wood chips. Their trucks are 10-20 cubic yards though. Some will work with you if you're in a convenient route to dump off the rest.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

Don't forget fall leaf season. You can be the neighborhood gremlin stealing bags of leaves from the curb to make your finished compost by spring time.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Jabronie posted:

If you can handle a lot of mulch you can call your local arborists and tree trimmers to take their truckloads of wood chips. Their trucks are 10-20 cubic yards though. Some will work with you if you're in a convenient route to dump off the rest.

This is how we get our wood chips and it's great, as long as you're not looking for anything colored and you don't care if there are twigs and leaves in the piles. Extra chips are great for balancing out compost piles, too.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the local park near me trims their trees for a disc golf course and they put great looking logs out for anyone to take. the wall of logs is maybe 12'x4' now since it's so hot there are no takers. if i had a fireplace i'd stock up

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

zone 9, so im starting some of my fall veggies

got 2 new kinds of peppers to try this round: yolo wonder bells and sweet pickle peppers

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

Everything sucks. anyone want to start a community garden

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the local park near me trims their trees for a disc golf course and they put great looking logs out for anyone to take. the wall of logs is maybe 12'x4' now since it's so hot there are no takers. if i had a fireplace i'd stock up

get into mushroom cultivation and grab the fresh ones to inoculate with spores

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

went to my local plant store to find something to drain a ditch that somestimes gets standing water. i wanted a bald cypress but nobody around here sells them because they're too water-intensive. ended up with lonicera japonica lol. it shouldn't be invasive outside the basin, too drought-y around here

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

get into mushroom cultivation and grab the fresh ones to inoculate with spores

I want to grow mushrooms

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

don't be scared of sterile culture. a glove box or even a still air box is pretty easy to make and are totally adequate if you keep things clean. the only real big initial expense is a pressure cooker

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Uncle Bens Tek (theres a whole reddit for it) is loving amazing and total mushroom going cheat mode.

The Littlest Hobo
Dec 26, 2004

I had nice success with a wine cap mushroom kit i mixed in with my woodchips and leaves. I want to get some logs and do mushroom spawn plugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'm new to this, but I want to build the perfect work area for gardening and I want to go all out.

I'm talking raised beds, grow lights, a timed watering setup, etc. The catch is that my grow area is outside (no shade possible). Working area is 12x24ft and I'm in zone 9b/10a.

I have no idea where to start with this though. Someone throw me a bone and tell me what is good to grow, and how best to set what I want up.