Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Nah. In all seriousness it's actually working fine as a plane now. Yes, it was a huge and very successful grift project. But as a plane it's also been basically successful and is now operational, it just hasn't seen much use yet.
Part of the reason it hasn't seen much use yet is that the reliability of the F-35 is still way below par - the plane itself may run fine when it's running, but the Pentagon's own reliability numbers for the F-35 aren't what they need to be for it to achieve the intended goal of finally phasing out the decades-old A-10's and F-18's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

F-35 has sort of failed in its original mission to be a ubiquitous LO f-16 replacement, but the plan seems to be to use sheer economy of scale to put LO strike fighters in the hangars of everyone in NATO.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, and the M-16 is a perfectly fine weapon, if you're picking it up in the 21st century.

The Bradley performed well straight from getting fully adopted. Also, the guy who wrote Pentagon Wars? He was part of the "Reformers," whose predictions basically turned out to be consistently hilariously wrong. Like, those are the guys who thought that the F-15 would be too big, too complex and too ungainly to ever work as an air superiority fighter. (Their own idea of the ideal modern fighter was basically a lightened F-16 without the "dead weight" of an inbuilt radar engaging enemies with guns and short-range IR missiles only.) Who said the Abrams would just break down en masse and do worse on the battlefield than old M48s with some upgrades. And so on.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Magni posted:

The Bradley performed well straight from getting fully adopted. Also, the guy who wrote Pentagon Wars? He was part of the "Reformers," whose predictions basically turned out to be consistently hilariously wrong. Like, those are the guys who thought that the F-15 would be too big, too complex and too ungainly to ever work as an air superiority fighter. (Their own idea of the ideal modern fighter was basically a lightened F-16 without the "dead weight" of an inbuilt radar engaging enemies with guns and short-range IR missiles only.) Who said the Abrams would just break down en masse and do worse on the battlefield than old M48s with some upgrades. And so on.

Lemme guess, Mike Sparks and Pierre Sprey are also involved with these people.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

GhostStalker posted:

Lemme guess, Mike Sparks and Pierre Sprey are also involved with these people.

Afaik Sprey was one of the more prominent people they brought out to argue their stuff. Sparky jumped on late, wasn't so much involved as he was just uncritically believing all their stuff and developing his own brand of crazy from there.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

MagusofStars posted:

Part of the reason it hasn't seen much use yet is that the reliability of the F-35 is still way below par - the plane itself may run fine when it's running, but the Pentagon's own reliability numbers for the F-35 aren't what they need to be for it to achieve the intended goal of finally phasing out the decades-old A-10's and F-18's.

I had the privilege of being in an F18E flying over the Labrador Sea near Greenland. It is the only experience of my life that I would qualify as 'awesome' and the reason why I don't like it when people use that word for commonplace things. It was literally an experience so incredible that it filled me with a breathless awe that I am incapable of describing in words.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
An update will take a little while longer (too hot brain not work good) but here's some audience participation to tide you over in the meantime.

Duncan's once again grilling us about our shadowrunning motivations, so we can optionally add some more depth to the external motivation which we settled on being to find Raymond alive.

We can also rename our safeboat! Or keep it as the Bolthole.

No deadline or anything.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 18, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Seeing the world how it really is.

Let’s stick with Bolthole.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Big Texas.

Kith fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 18, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

How it really is - and it's definitely the Bolthole.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Bolthole and how the world really is works for me too. Although I also like to hurt people… for peace.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

see the world for how it truly works

Big Texas
is just too good to pass up, especially since we're from seattle and living in China

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Seeing the world how it really is and Kraken:cthulhu:
Not just because it's a cool name, but also because this rusty tub of ours seems like it could start crackin' apart at any moment. :dadjoke:

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
I find all the motives interesting but you can't polish a turd and call it a wedding cake. This boat is a Bolthole so love it for what it is.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah. Bolthole just feels so appropriate for that rustbucket of a ship (though it’s still OUR rustbucket, drat it).

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Defiance.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Usually I'd agree that Bolthole is just too appropriate to change but since we're already a ridiculous person named after instant ramen, I'd say Big Texas is a better fit in this circumstance.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Can't put my finger on it

Big Texas

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

FoolyCharged posted:

see the world for how it truly works

Big Texas
is just too good to pass up, especially since we're from seattle and living in China

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Seeing the world how it really is

And I gotta go with Bolthole, but only because Shithole isn't an option.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kith posted:

Big Texas.

I changed my vote from Defiance to Big Texas because gently caress it, Big Texas rules.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't know

Kraken, because they live under the sea. :v:

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
I went with Big Texas in my playthrough, so I'm voting differently here.

Groetgaffel posted:

Seeing the world how it really is and Kraken:cthulhu:
Not just because it's a cool name, but also because this rusty tub of ours seems like it could start crackin' apart at any moment. :dadjoke:

Backing this one. I agree with the character reason and I like the joke behind the boat name.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Big Texas for the :yeeclaw: value

And to see the world as it really is

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I don't know. Bolthole

Veotax
May 16, 2006

We want the FREEDOM to call the boat BIG TEXAS.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The money

and

:krakken:

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017
Freedom and let's go with Kraken for that freedom seeking pirate flavor

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
seein the world as how it really is - suffused w the magic power of instant noods. dont @ me

큰 택사스 (大德克萨斯)

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

How it really is.

The Kraken

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Note that in the event Bolthole doesn't win, I'd like to cast a second-place vote for Kraken.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
Seeing the world as it truly is

Bolthole, because let's not get sentimental, really.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

GimmickMan posted:

Usually I'd agree that Bolthole is just too appropriate to change but since we're already a ridiculous person named after instant ramen, I'd say Big Texas is a better fit in this circumstance.

It's what our lovely Stuffer Shack edible lifestyle demands.

Also, being Shin Black, I feel it is our destiny to hurt people for money, even if that's mildly out of character.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Truth

The Dowager Empress

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
Every time I played this game, I told myself I'd go with something else than Big Texas next time. It never worked. Big Texas.

And thrill seeking I guess.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The Truth is that we're calling this ship the Big Texas.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Someone who picked Academic would surely seek truth over solace in lies riches or thrills. And I... will recuse myself from the boat name because I want to see how it plays out (also I like both Bolthole and Big Texas too much to decide).

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Big Texas is the obvious headquarters for our Hong Kong adventure

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Defiance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

How it really is and Big Texas :clint: